Scouts Tavern: Stories, Kudos, Whatever

Shukar

Icy areas, since the sidewalks rarely get cleared.  Ice, snow, slush, mostly salted and gravelled but still thoroughly wintery conditions.

I'm gonna start practice-running in my parking lot at work this week.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

You might want to check to see if any of your friends has spikes you can borrow, those are tough slow conditions.

And anyone who has ever "raced" in those conditions knows that it's impossible to race in those conditons and that just getting it done is an accomplishment in itself; So that PM guy is just a dick that probably has done one other race like this in non-winter conditions.

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I would say that it can be up to 30 seconds per kilometer difference between race track and icy pavement.

I use Puma SLX Crossfox on icy conditions but as the spikes are 2-3 mm they require ice and I always bring another pair to see the ground on place first.

And as always I recommend LSD to improve as a runner, but 3 weeks is a real tough time frame.

Maybe you can find a coach to improve your technique?

I was just in the break room, listening to one of the PMs talk about how he loves doing the Iceman, and he loves how everyone is really committed to it, but every year there's someone on his team who isn't very good and is too slow to be in a RACE, and they make everyone else on his team lose because of it.

Does PM stand for Ptotal Mdick? This is completely the wrong attitude! Anyway, I second everyone's "get spikes" suggestion - I have some for rare icy days here and they're great. Also, for just general 5k work, I'd say do threshold intervals - in other words slow jog for a minute or so followed by fast (not sprinting but above your comfort zone) for a set time. U found this a really good way of increasing speed and endurance

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/threshold-intervals/

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I was going to comment that "running on ice" around here means having a beverage with ice cubes before a run, but that's probably harsh for those living in wintery areas (it's 7:00 PM, and 24ºC!)

• Like 1

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Ha. I'm trying not to complain too much on Facebook about how it's too hot, there was a giant line at the frozen yogurt place when I wanted to get myself a treat . . . and so on. It's actually really bad for us here in California in terms of drought being declared, plus no snow in the mountains when I want to go snowboarding. On the other hand, I'm wearing a sundress and having a picnic in the park while my friends in the midwest are freezing solid . . .

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

So you're pretty much saying the weather gods hate snowboarders no matter where we live? Dumb old weather gods.

And . . . random running question for the Scouts in general. And this is with all the disclaimers that I know weighing yourself every day is meaningful only in terms of longer-term trends, because weight fluctuates due to so many things, one data point is pretty much meaningless out of context, all that stuff. It works for me, and I've gotten used to the "2 steps forward 1 step back" trend. All of that said . . . just curious if others have experienced this.

I've noticed that my weight jumps up, often quite dramatically, the day after a long run. My theory on that is that one does eat a lot more when burning that many calories, because you actually need it for fuel (I use FitBit to track calories in vs. calories burned, to avoid the trap of eating tons and tons of junk food because "I earned it with that 15 miler.") But your body doesn't know you burned 1,500 calories right away, all it knows it that you ate 1,500 more calories than usual, including lots of carbs, so it thinks you're all full of tasty food (and realistically, probably are if you ate heartily after the run). And then over the next few days it all evens out. That makes sense . . . right?

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Diet is about long term trends. You eat more one day and maybe are less hungry the next as a result. So overall the amount of food you eat, ideally, balances over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Yeah, I'm with that. It just strikes me as odd that literally every long run day is followed by a jump in what I call "fake weight." Which is to say, those few-pound "gains" that you know are due to random otehr factors and will vanish in a day or two. More just idle curiousty if this is a thing other folks have noticed or if it's just my body's particular quirk . . .

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

I don't own a working scale anymore so I can't comment on that part, sorry.

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Yeah, I'm with that. It just strikes me as odd that literally every long run day is followed by a jump in what I call "fake weight." Which is to say, those few-pound "gains" that you know are due to random otehr factors and will vanish in a day or two. More just idle curiousty if this is a thing other folks have noticed or if it's just my body's particular quirk . . .

When I was training for mini tri, the double workout days my body would hold fluid. .. which flushed out the next day or so. ... really played games with my head. ..5k walk run and 15 mile bike, and I gained? I think my muscles were Bulked a bit. ..but I have not been trained in this.

Over all, it balances. .. just don't over carb up if weight is a concern.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

I don't own a working scale anymore

Best way to be, probably

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Best way to be, probably

It's been a process from meticulous tracking of body metrics to loose tracking of those same metrics to more automatic frictionless tracking of a small number of metrics, ie my fitbit instead of weight, water, calories, body fat, temperature, resting heart rate, etc. Some of it just doesn't matter. If I feel good, and I make progress toward my skill/strength goals and my appearance goals (I have the desire to be less jiggly, about the full extent of my caring on that subject). So yeah I stopped tracking my weight because it was no longer telling me things I couldn't easily see/feel.

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Found this on twitter and thought it might work here

http://twitter.com/dailyzen/status/429585094450634753/photo/1

Here's to the whistling noise!

Spoiler

I will face my fear.
-Litany Against Fear

Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Hi everyone :)

My name is Bekah and I started a PVP (well...it's really a PVS...but you get the idea) that I really want to share with every single rebel in the community. It's an ongoing daily posting challenge where you post one thing you like about your body and one positive thing regarding your food/eating behaviors for that day. Everyone is welcome, and if we have enough consistent participation, there are different levels to be had!

Come and get your Body Love on :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

*grumbles* The race is only a couple days away, and the members of both teams are asking me what my 5k time is looking like.  I don't know if I'm more disgruntled by those that wish I were faster, or by those that are impressed that someone my size is capable of those times. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

*grumbles* The race is only a couple days away, and the members of both teams are asking me what my 5k time is looking like. I don't know if I'm more disgruntled by those that wish I were faster, or by those that are impressed that someone my size is capable of those times.

Race day adrenaline might push you faster. But even if it doesn't, sod 'em - enjoy the race!

Hey all . . . so I've been yammering on about this photoshoot. For those who missed the yammering--no real reason for it, basically just turned 48, achieved some if not all of my fitness goals, and realized that all the "good" pictures I have of myself are of a much heavier me. And when a friend of mine posted amazing pictures of her taken by a friend who's a professional photographer I knew I had to do a shoot with her! Well, I just got the pictures back and they're pretty awesome. Here's one of my favorites . . .

Purple dress

• Like 2

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

––G. K. Chesterton

Hey all . . . so I've been yammering on about this photoshoot. For those who missed the yammering--no real reason for it, basically just turned 48, achieved some if not all of my fitness goals, and realized that all the "good" pictures I have of myself are of a much heavier me. And when a friend of mine posted amazing pictures of her taken by a friend who's a professional photographer I knew I had to do a shoot with her! Well, I just got the pictures back and they're pretty awesome. Here's one of my favorites . . .

Holy crap. You are aware that you're gorgeous, yes?

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines