Hey guys, umm... im new...help?

Hey guys! (im not good with titles, i know) but, i dont know class i am. Also i need help with my goals, im like 5'4 170 and im fine with the weight im at, but i want to learn parkour and martial arts, and id like to become as strong and buff as possible without it hindering parkour and martial arts. Do you guys think is possible, if/so how should i go about doing it? 

Well, I can tell you that being 200+lbs and being able to deadlift 550+lbs won't hinder your ability to move dynamically, efficiently, enjoyably. =) This is a good friend of mine who's got stats in excess of the two I listed.

But he's been training (everything) for 15 years, so here's my suggestion for you that ties into your whole post: pick one. ;)

Strength training, parkour, and martial arts are all very, very different disciplines. They're not difficult to integrate and they can handily compliment one another, but you'll have a hard time getting to any exciting level of proficiency in any of them if they're all new and you're doing them all at once.

If you pick one discipline and start researching how to eat to support your new athletic lifestyle (clean, smart) you'll have a whole new world to explore before you know it. Given some time to settle into new habits and skills, you can then return to your original goals and decide what's next. =)

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

Well, I can tell you that being 200+lbs and being able to deadlift 550+lbs won't hinder your ability to move dynamically, efficiently, enjoyably. =) This is a good friend of mine who's got stats in excess of the two I listed.

But he's been training (everything) for 15 years, so here's my suggestion for you that ties into your whole post: pick one. ;)

Strength training, parkour, and martial arts are all very, very different disciplines. They're not difficult to integrate and they can handily compliment one another, but you'll have a hard time getting to any exciting level of proficiency in any of them if they're all new and you're doing them all at once.

If you pick one discipline and start researching how to eat to support your new athletic lifestyle (clean, smart) you'll have a whole new world to explore before you know it. Given some time to settle into new habits and skills, you can then return to your original goals and decide what's next. =)

Thats a good idea, i dont why i didnt think of that. its much easier but it might be too slow for me (another part of my goal is to have all these down before im 25, so i dont have 15 to train.) I was just gonna cross-train all of them. But jesus! how does that guy do that? He looks triple h too btw lol

Thats a good idea, i dont why i didnt think of that. its much easier but it might be too slow for me (another part of my goal is to have all these down before im 25, so i dont have 15 to train.) I was just gonna cross-train all of them. But jesus! how does that guy do that? He looks triple h too btw lol

So a word of caution.  You might be able to get the *basics* down before you turn 25.  But you will not be superfantasticawesome at them all.  Even if you chose only one to pursue right now, depending on your age, you probably still won't be the be all-end all of whatever you chose (and if its a martial art, you DEFINITELY won't be).  Unless you want to try and take the approach of you do nothing but train (literally.  No school.  No job.  Minimal friend/family time.), but then you will likely burn out.  Training and practice require extended commitments, and really no matter what you do you should never stop training - because you can always learn more, adapt more, and experience more.  Don't look at the time table and try to say "I will be amazing in X years, and if I'm not, I failed."  Having goals are good, but they should be realistic and achievable, or you can demotivate yourself.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Yeah, RisenPhoenix hit the nail on the head.

But jesus! how does that guy do that?

By being a monster and training like his life depends on it for 15 years. ;) He took six years to get his bachelors degree so he'd have more time to train, is extremely frugal, and has trained primarily by himself for the vast majority of his time because few can keep up with him. Personally, I need people to train tricks with, but I can lift alone; I'm an extrovert and he's an introvert, though, so even more fundamentally I need more time with more people more regularly than he does. As Phoenix said, most would burn out like that.

But yeah, if you're content with scratching the surface of all three disciplines, then you can cross train them and have fun. Just be daaaaamn careful not to injure yourself, as it's easy to do in any physical discipline, and triply so when you're picking up three skills at once. Or, if you want to get better, just pick one and run with it and see where it takes you.

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1