The thing with Tabatas are, there are all kinds of programs out there, working them into the middle of other workouts, or suggesting multiple tabata "rounds" that sort of thing.  And they're completely missing the entire point of the protocol.

Honestly, if you've finished four minutes of proper Tabata intensity, the last thing on your mind should be doing it with another exercise, or doing anything like it again that week, or doing much of anything except throwing up.

How were you planning on implementing them?

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

The thing with Tabatas are, there are all kinds of programs out there, working them into the middle of other workouts, or suggesting multiple tabata "rounds" that sort of thing.  And they're completely missing the entire point of the protocol.

Honestly, if you've finished four minutes of proper Tabata intensity, the last thing on your mind should be doing it with another exercise, or doing anything like it again that week, or doing much of anything except throwing up.

How were you planning on implementing them?

I was going to do some thing like 

Monday/ Wednesday: full body circuit

Tuesday/thursday: upper/ lower body tabata

friday : high intensity/ low intensity cardio

yoga/stretches  after every workout session  

You probably can't handle it.  Nothing personal, but doing doing the strict Tabata protocol once is craziness.  Once a week is insane.  People can't handle max effort sprinting 2-3 days per week; we just don't have the recovery capabilities for it.

Ive tried it lots its a great workout for me but i adapt fast to everything i do for some reason, i think its gonna be hard at first of course, though

Oh sweet mother of pearl, I have only tried Tabata protocol 1 time. I just want to relay my story and hope you dont dive right in head 1st like I did...trust me you would be sorry.

I had heard/read about tabata a few years ago and decided to give it a go, so being the impulsive person I am I grabbed 2 35# kettlebells and decided thrusters were the way to go! 

I had my wife tell me when my work/rest times were and went all out....yeah. So at the 2 minute mark I was damn near dead, dumped the kettlebells and grabbed 2 15# dumbbells...which I struggled with for the remainder of my time. After I finished I collapsed to the floor, feeling like I might die...and afraid I wouldn't. I felt terrible! 

Any how the next day I went to work and every time I tried to stand my legs would seize up, did I mention that I had a great deal of difficulty brushing my teeth also? 

Anyways, I ended up missing the last two work days of the week and couldn't walk right for almost an entire week after that.

I think the tabata protocol is nice, its a good way to get some work done fast if your short on time, but I don't think its something you would want to do every day/week. Oh and I would only use body weight moves if I ever did it again...if. 

If you do give it a shot I would love to hear how it goes for you...and I hope you fare better than I did  :friendly_wink:

You probably can't handle it.  Nothing personal, but doing doing the strict Tabata protocol once is craziness.  Once a week is insane.  People can't handle max effort sprinting 2-3 days per week; we just don't have the recovery capabilities for it.

I did it twice a week for a few weeks before I got a shin splint injury. I actually highly recommend them if one is conditioned enough to do them. I have chronic shin splints and have since college, so I had to take a break. Once it warms up here in the North East, I plan on adding them in again once a week.

But yeah, they're no joke. If you are going truly max effort for the 20 seconds at a time, it's a hell of a workout. I would make it through the first 2-3 rounds without dying, but after that it's such a huge test of willpower to start sprinting and keep sprinting over and over when you are still well out of breath.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I disagree, I think you can incorporate Tabata on a weekly basis for great results -- but be prepared to push to your limits! Here's a great Tabata routine that you can do anywhere. Each segment is eight rounds of 20s "on" (full-blast sprint) followed by 10s rest for a total of 4 minutes per segment. Rest 1 minute between segments. (You're gonna need it!) Total workout time: 24 minutes.

1. Tabata sprint. Run as fast as you can for 20s, then rest for 10s, repeat for 4 minutes. Note: if you "walk it off" during the rest period to recover, make sure you finish your walk at the same point where you ended your last sprint.
  2. Tabata squats. Make sure you go all the way deep -- "butt to ankles."
  3. Tabata pull-ups. Elbows fully straight at the bottom, chin over bar at the top.
  4. Tabata push-ups. I like to do "hand-release" at the bottom because it guarantees a complete rep. If you don't like that, at least make sure your chest brushes the floor.
  5. Tabata sit-ups.

Your score for the Tabata Sprint is total distance travelled. Your score for each of the other movements is total number of reps performed. Every time you do this workout, try to beat your prior score.

Good luck, train hard!

Level 5 Half-Dwarf Ranger

STR 15 - DEX 11 - STA 5 - CON 13 - WIS 13 - CHA 10

Attack Your Weaknesses!!!

Challenges: 1 (c&j) | 2 (c2b) | 3 (DU) | 4 (OHS) | 5 (DU+OHS) | Fitness Goals 2014

History...

• Started CrossFit in April 2013: 205 lbs., 0 pull-ups, 10-minute mile, 2:00 500m row, could barely air squat
  • November 2013: 175 lbs., 15 pull-ups, 8-minute mile, 1:34 row 500m, 235-lb. squat
  • December 2013: 19 rounds of Cindy, Fran 9:09
  • February 2014: DL 315, clean 175, c&j 155, snatch 125
  • March 2014: 25+ double-unders, 95-lb. overhead squat 1RM
  • April 2014: 47 DU; c&j BW@175
  • May 2014: 4x OHS@95
  • June 2014: 1:30 row 500m
  • July 2014: first muscle-up, first HSPU
  • Before and After Photos

Tabata is a great way to mix things up.  Do it.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.