Chris-Tien Escapes the Maze of Illusions

Chris-Tien Jinn

I'm Chris-Tien Jinn, a battered and worn level 7 Ranger/Bard/Wizard from the North.  

My main quest is a little vague, I'll admit, but I'll know when I get there.  I need to regain my self-confidence.  After more than a year of being in an abusive job (and having three close family members die after long illnesses), I'm have a FACIAL TICK - honest to Elrond - I have psychosomatic indicators of extreme stress.  Plus, I'm overweight and have bags under my eyes.  I've been getting better ... people are saying that I'm looking better and thinner ..... but I finally had to put my foot down and leave my job in order to avoid therapy and drugs to manage the symptoms of stress.  I'll be teaching part-time and getting my life and my self back together this year.

A measurable indicator will be my weight.  My ideal fighting weight is 127.5 pounds.  I'm going to aim for that, but I need to get there in a healthy way.  I was anorexic in high school and know better than to simply stop eating.  As of January 1, 2014, I weigh 172.5 pounds.  That's 4 pounds higher than last year, but that's down from the 176 mark when I realized that my job was killing me.  But, honestly, if I can get down to 147 (normal BMI), I'll be happy.  

My motivation?  I want to enjoy life.  Plain and simple.  Chocolate and alcohol don't compare to being able to open a jar or a package without effort.  I'm turning into a little old lady, and I HATE that.  The person I see in the mirror isn't me.  It's a fun-house version of me.  Time to change that and get out of the maze of illusions.  

For the first challenge of the year, I'm setting a foundation.

Specific goals:

1. Finish C25K training (3 STA, 2 DEX)
  2. Eliminate alcohol  (1 WIS, 2 DEX, 2 CON)
  3. Cook one healthy meal daily (2 CON)
Life side quest:

1. Listen to the Self-Esteem CDs  by Jack Canfield (2 WIS, 1 CHA)  DONE!!!
Fitness side quest:

1. Join the Nerd Fitness Academy!!!! DONE!!!

Scoring for the specific goals will be by percentage:  90% = A, 80% = B, 70% = C, 60% = D.  I'm tracking progress here:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajotk6uSzi8DdEhhV1FaSlpYb2o1UGJjVjBFSDFVZnc&usp=drive_web#gid=0 unless the NF Academy has a better suggestion or tool.  

For the life side quest ..... A=finish the set of CDs, B=4 CDs, C=3 CDs, D= 2 CDs.....  

Getting there should not be hard, but then we often run into challenges that surprise us.  Last May, I twisted my ankle TWICE while training for a 5K .... my name is not Grace, you'll notice.  This challenge, I'm focusing on being healthy in mind, body, and spirit!!

• Like 4

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

honestly, of everything you wrote, I love that you are rethinking your career options right now.  That took guts and is clearly a decision you are happy about.  That alone is worth everything. 

And C25K?  You know I think that's awesome. 

Stay strong sister!

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I can sympathize -- I have hurt myself because of running more times than I can count, either through stepping on something, tripping, or through overuse injuries.  Slow and steady wins the race -- you take care of yourself.  I think that the Academy will help you slim down in a smart, strong way.  Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Thanks, all!!

Today, I noticed that, amazingly, I had energy and was smiling.  It is awesome to NOT BE DEPRESSED!!!!  Leaving that job was an excellent idea .... and now I can prep for my classes.

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Thanks, all!!

Today, I noticed that, amazingly, I had energy and was smiling.  It is awesome to NOT BE DEPRESSED!!!!  Leaving that job was an excellent idea .... and now I can prep for my classes.

So glad that you made the right choice for you!!! Kick those students into shape!!!!!!

• Like 1

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Wow .... new life and new goals.  I'm trying to get hubby to join us as well ..... let's see if I can convince him.  Interesting side quest is inspiring others in the family to be healthy .....

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Did the elliptical machine today for 36 minutes.  Trying to gradually increase time and distance so that I can do 5K by early March.

Minestrone soup is in the crock pot, and I'm considering going down stairs to do my Bowflex routine.  I'll get to the strength training section of NFA soon and change that up. 

Some sort of Jedi .....

Breaking the cycle by eating healthy will defiantly help with depression.  I was dealing with depression for 13ish years and only NOW do I start to feel overall better.  I'm sorry to hear about all the bad stuff. Let's kick 2014's ass.

• Like 1

New Year, New start, New and better things to come!!  :peach:

Your main quest can seem vague for other people, or it isn't exactly measurable, but I Think that self-esteem and overall well-being are the best indicators of a health life!!  :kiwi-fruit:

• Like 2

Pounded out W4D2 of C25K.  Felt great, especially as I was watching SF vs. the Packers.  (I'm from Minnesota.  If I'm not rooting for the Vikings, I'm rooting for whoever is playing AGAINST the Pack.)

Dug into the fridge to eat my homemade protein bars afterwards.  Feeling so virtuous.

I still need to make some improvements in my diet - we have a tradition of going out for Culver's for prime rib sandwiches after church.  The sandwich wouldn't be so bad, but we usually split some fries.  With the cold, I've been passing on the frozen custard .... even chocolate ..... but I wonder if I can make something like prime rib in the crock pot and skip the temptation.  

Recipes welcome!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Yay another C25Ker! The first time I did it, I did it on a treadmill then attempted to run my first 5k. BIG bad mistake. Hurt my knee in a major way and have not been able to get back into running since last week! 

Good luck with this challenge and make sure you are staying healthy and having fun!

• Like 1

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

I still need to make some improvements in my diet - we have a tradition of going out for Culver's for prime rib sandwiches after church.  The sandwich wouldn't be so bad, but we usually split some fries.  With the cold, I've been passing on the frozen custard .... even chocolate ..... but I wonder if I can make something like prime rib in the crock pot and skip the temptation. 

You can make a crazy amount of things in a crockpot. It's just low heat.  I know that there's cake recipes and soap, so some prime rib seems totally doable.

• Like 1

You can make a crazy amount of things in a crockpot. It's just low heat.  I know that there's cake recipes and soap, so some prime rib seems totally doable.

I know .... I have to figure out what they do for spices.  The beef is addicting!!!

Today's the first day as a LECTURER!!!  W00t!  Hubby was already noting yesterday that I was being silly and having fun for the first time in a LONG time.  I haven't written a (new) line on my article, but I'm enjoying the new schedule.

I put dinner in the crock pot this morning.  Hubby worked out before work.  I spent too much time reading over the strength training section of Nerd Fitness and settled on a body weight workout, which I then did.

It kicked my butt.  Damn.  Yeap.  I need to get stronger.

I had a homemade protein bar and water for a snack. 

I WILL write this afternoon after turning in my old office keys. 

Given the dangerous cold, I'm not sure that I'm going to do anything serious for cardio today.  My quads are still sore after a cool down and stretch anyway. 

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

My iolite earrings arrived.  I ordered a "Dealing with Uncertainty" necklace from Uncommon Goods:  http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/dealing-with-uncertainty-necklace because we are AGAIN job hunting and considering a move back to Minnesota.  And while I'm teaching this term, there is no guarantee that I will be teaching here again.  I'm not very good at being in this position of not knowing the plan and the timing .... so the necklace will help me intentionally embrace the feeling of jumping into thin air.

And I ordered three sets of studs to go along with the necklace, iolite, garnet, and smoky quartz.  Iolite is supposed to help people with a lack of motivation, improve creativity and vision, and help see the root causes of problems.  Here's to clarity and creativity!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

I'm a big fan of Bach's Walnut remedy when dealing with change/possible change

http://www.directlyfromnature.com/Walnut_20ml_p/bfr-0033.htm

• Like 2

Dr. Mrs. Kate Murry - Not a Dr. named Kate, nor do I have red hair, but I do have microbiology cred.

Level 3 Manic Pixie Dreamgirl

STR 3/DEX 1/STA 3/CON 3/WIS 3/CHA 2

Current Challege:   no pain =win

Past Challenges: First: 28   Third: 30  :joyous:

Battle Log (Women's NFA) Battle Log

Read the Bible in 2014: 7% finished

"Mercy lives here, at home with the saints and the sinners, mercy lives here" -Derri

Change is good my friend. It allows you to learn and grow. You got this.

Typing in boxing gloves is hard. Please ignore typos.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines