TennisGeek is a smasher of sleeping beast!

TennisGeek

The time has come. The mission is to bash and chase away my most hated enemy. It has been compromising my health, eating, relationship and productivity.

It's been really long time that I don't go to bed to sleep. For last two challenges, fixing up the sleeping was my side quest, and didn't do anything, therefore it cannot be "side" any more. I need a real attitude change about sleep.

There are only 3 things that affect the body - food, exercise, and sleep. I'm doing fine with food and exercise, so the sleep has to be addressed this time.

Main quest

Goal #1 - Go to bed every night. No more watching Tennis channel and fall asleep on the couch. 

No more TV after playing tennis. Period. If I go to bed and not fall asleep on couch, I count it as one.

A: 35+ nights.,  B: 28+ nights, C: 14+ nights, D: 7+ nights

STA+2, CON+2

Goal #2 - Night time snacking. 

No more freakin night time snacking even if it's good kind of snacks. Every night I don't do night time snacking is counted as one.

Exception is, after playing more than one hour of tennis in late night, up to two of followings is allowed for recovery: whey protein + half a cup of milk, a fruit, a hundful of nuts, half of sweet potato or equivalent of good carb.

A: 35+ nights. ,  B: 28+ nights., C: 14+ nights , D: 14 nights

WIS+2, CHA+2

Goal #3 - Stretching after every tennis and workout.

Stretching is boring. I don't do enough, but it does not help the recovery. So, I'll force myself to do a decent stretching after tennis and workout. 

A: 90+% , B: 75+%, C: 50%, D: 30%

DEX+2, CON+1

Side quest

None this time. I'll focus on the main quest. Instead, I will do the exercise side quest.

Life quest

Nicer to my wife. It's a complicated long story that I don't want to get in.

WIS: +1, CHA: +1

Exercise side quest

10x3 pull ups is the real goal. Right now, I can barely do 4 or 5, so being able to do 10x1 is already a great achievement. I'll do 30 pullups for every Monday workout. Usually, I need 6, 7, 8 sets to do 30.

30 pull ups in (STR+2, STA+2)

A: 3 sets, B: 4 sets, C: 5 sets , D:  6 sets, F: 7+ sets

Do workout twice a week. Since playing tennis is my priority, I'll do this something more manageable, once in a weekday when I don't play tennis and once on a weekend when I have time.

A: 10/12, B: 8/12, C: 6/12, D: 4/12

(STR+1, STA+1)

Award claiming:

Since I don't like the quater point, I'll shift quarter point to something else.

A - 100%, B - 75%, C - 50%, D - 25%

With the goals adjusted, I meet the mini challenge #1, and will claim WIS+1

• Like 4

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

+1

Can you fall asleep after reading in bed? I have a sleep goal too and when I don't feel like going to bed I can usually trick myself into going there if I am still allowed to read (as long as I'm in bed, it counts for the challenge) and then usually my body tells me to turn off the lights and go to sleep after about 1 chapter. This does not work if you're one of those people who can't put a book down until dawn! :D

• Like 1

So many of us have sleep issues. Good for you making it your top priority! I am interested in what you will learn. Bash away!

I am glad you are going to be nicer to your wife too. More sleep will probably make that quest a bit easier as well. 

+1

Can you fall asleep after reading in bed? I have a sleep goal too and when I don't feel like going to bed I can usually trick myself into going there if I am still allowed to read (as long as I'm in bed, it counts for the challenge) and then usually my body tells me to turn off the lights and go to sleep after about 1 chapter. This does not work if you're one of those people who can't put a book down until dawn! :D

Thank you both.

I developed a really bad habit of staying up late and falling asleep on the couch (or even a chair).

(My neck/upper back is sore for a while from sleeping really badly.)

I really don't have a good explanation/reason why I do this.

I'll definitely read in bed. Think of spending an hour in bed reading or other calming activities as exercise of mind.

I may be a nerd, I am also action oriented, and like to be challenged physically.

This is a mental challenge and seems easier, yet in reality to me, it's harder.

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.

Yesterday, I watched "The Perfect Human Diet", a documentary about healthy diet, available on Amazon instant video.

I did not know the contents, but it's pro-paleo.

(Now, I'm trying to find a counter argument about paleo diet.)

So far in terms of "healthy diet", I am convinced that sugar/starch is the public enemy #1.

There is not much afraid of food fat except trans fat and processed unnatural fat (aka veg oil).

So, that took care of motivating me to eat lower carb / real food.

I posted this on my challenge #2.5, but to get this thread rolling, I'll post the dinner pic anyway.

I'll post my food which is not my challenge, but it becomes exchanges of cooking ideas.

Salmon baked in foil, grilled veg salad, and kale + bacon for last night dinner.

11697515646_ba5aba5325.jpg

I probably start learning about sleep. That should teach me the benefit of sleep.

• Like 1

Good luck with sleeping! Have you tried an alarm to remind you to start getting ready for bed? Sometimes that works for me.

I play tennis a lot in late night (3 week nights at least), and the time I come home from afterward is unpredictable.

It often starts 9pm, ends somwhere 10-11pm, home around mid night after taking shower. Sometimes badly need stretching and refuel.

It would make my life easier if I have a regular schedule but I really cannot set alarm for bed time.

I think the easiest way to sleep at the same time is to have a 30 minutes ritual.  Either stop being on the computer and read for 30 minutes, or meditate, or do some stretching- anything that creates a classic conditioning/pavlovian response.

• Like 3

Welcome back!! Your challenge looks great!!! :)

• Like 1

Scout - Level 15 Half-Elf Ranger

STR15 | DEX5.5 | STA17 | CON39.5 | WIS18 | CHA10.5 

Challenges: Current Challenge #18 | #17 Part 2 | #17#16#15#14#13#12 Part 2 | #12#11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 Part II | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

My Blog | Facebook | My BeachBody | My NF Character

Spoiler

Lose 84 lbs (From 219 to 135): Current weight = 202.9

100%
19%

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Mount Doom - 1779 miles) [so far: 1515.60 miles  - logged to 06/13/16

[progress=purple]85[/progress]

You definitely have some challenges ahead (with playing tennis at different times, and having a tough time creating a routine) but I know you'll do it! You worked super hard last challenge and I know you'll do it again!

• Like 1

You could set an alarm every day. So on tennis nights, give yourself 2 hours to do everything after tennis before you have to be in bed reading.

I can't link it since I am on my phone, but Steve is a huge paleo fan and he did an article that included some negatives. It is in the resource section of the main blog.

• Like 2

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

|STR 2| DEX 2| STA 1| CON 2| WIS 4| CHR 2|

Highest Weight: 303 Current Weight: 268.5

Twitter: Kim_Taura Skype: taureanfreak Email: taureanfreak@gmail.com

Sleep.....perchance to dream.....of sleep!

Our schedule changes daily, depending on wildross' s client needs, and we almost have to set up a schedule every day.

You love tennis, so, your schedule has to revolve around it. As well as include being nice to your wife.

Don't go by the clock... Go by chunks. 1 hour after tennis, unwind, cool down. 1 hour after cool down, stay need routine. Then, sleep.

I get hung up by times... must start bed routine at 8pm, even if I am out at dinner with friends! I have apps ocd, or cdo issues!

Declaring the problem is the first step.

Here we go!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Getting into a routine will help for sleep.  It's hard at first.  During my first challenge I made myself get to bed at midnight.  No more just one more video, or email or anything.  It took awhile for me to get use to sleeping earlier, but eventually I did it.  of course I am back to getting to bed late again, but at least now it's reading before sleeping I guess. :)

You could set an alarm every day. So on tennis nights, give yourself 2 hours to do everything after tennis before you have to be in bed reading.

I can't link it since I am on my phone, but Steve is a huge paleo fan and he did an article that included some negatives. It is in the resource section of the main blog.

I sort of remember the blog of paleo including some counter argument. It's a good starting point. Thanks.

Since the tennis ends at 11pm, I should be in bed by 1 regardless. I could adjust the goal as "I'll be bed by 1am." which was I did for the first challenge.

And, I miserably failed at that.

See. I need to cut a bit of slack for me. If I don't fall asleep on couch or chair, it's already a progress. 

I have to make a progress. Baby step progress is better than no progress at all. This time, I don't want to set fixed time, but I'll develop a routine that works for me.

I googled about sleep.

Late night hunger and not sleeping is definitely tied in the brain.

Also, sleeping more helps losing fat, which is my ultimate goal.

I'll keep this in mind. When I feel like snacking in late late late night, it's probably time to go to bed.

I've found it odd for myself too with late night snacking.  I was off it for awhile, and would get cravings now and again.  Still did ok.  Recently though, I haven't been getting as much sleep, and really bad time with snacking all day and night.  All stuff I am kicking this next challenge again :)

I went to bed with my iPad and read in bed. I still don't get good sleep but better.

The challenge hasn't started yet but it's a step in right direction.

Hi! Your goals look a handful but I believe you can do it! 

Especially with your desire to really get your sleep on track! 

With you taking your ipad to bed, I do the same, but it might be better if you could get your hands on a physical book that's not a screen. 

I've read a lot of articles that talk about the light from screens keeping people awake and making it harder to fall asleep. 

here's a short little snippet that gives a little more scientific explanation. 

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/135041-study-gadgets-disrupt-sleep

• Like 1

Wood Elf

Level 2 Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 5| CHA 2

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

First - Current 

Dude! I am so with you on this one. I actually get anxious about going to bed at night and I'm making sleep a major part of my challenge this go around, too. I'll be checking in on you.

By the way, a few years ago I read, "The Insomnia Answer" and it actually really helped, so I will be doing that again and I'm assigning myself the task of actually practicing the exercises in the book as part of my challenge. Too easy to read, go, "good idea" and then not follow through.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/34855868

Good luck and good night. Or is it good night and good luck.

Dunno.

Anyway,

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

I made a breakfast left handed. :-)

A piece of bacon, 3oz ham, 2 cups baby spinach, 2 eggs. 

All set and done, this is still 300 calories < one bagel.

11753224616_f1f0361f6c_z.jpg
  • Like 1

I love the left-handed cooking!

Sleep has been tough for my husband and I since we had twins but we "treated" ourselves to a new tempurpedic bed for our 16th anniversary.  We got our old bed as a wedding gift. It was spent but time flies and you forget how old things are. It was past time for that mattress! A new one was a hugh improvement and my autistic son still has sleep issues, but I sleep great all the other times when I am not up with him, which is a great help. It has been four years since we got and we still talk about how much we love our bed. The best part, our son can't jump on the bed, no springs!

A great bed can really help. There are a lot of different kinds to choose from, Prana is amazing too but my husband liked the other one. It was so worth the investment for us. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines