Ceasefire

Well any spike in carbs over what you've been getting (seems to be under 50g) will restart the process. You aren't ketogenic yet, seeing as you've only been doing this a few days but I wouldn't "sabotage" it by eating a bowl of oatmeal. 

I'm of the mind if you're not hungry than don't eat (unless you haven't eaten all day and it's 6pm). When you're hungry you will eat. Maybe make a light salad if you don't want to eat meat, which shouldn't spike your carb intake too much. 

But I've never gone under 50g of Carbs for more than one day. So I can't speak from experience.

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Today's carbs, if I eat via the plan, which I won't be due to not WANTING breakfast, would have been around 80g according to the pre-planned menu. Generally the numbers vary slightly due to the ingredients (or in one case, misprint because 3 eggs do not come out at 210 calories as the plan would lead me to believe) but yeah. Oddly enough, tomorrow is listed at 95g carbs and Saturday at 103g. Is there some method to this madness?

I want to keep going because I feel committed to this now that I've started, but I'm already second guessing myself. Especially considering today is my gym day and all I want to do is lay on the couch feeling sorry for myself. XD

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

SIR, YES SIR.

Snack is an apple and almond butter later on. I think I could handle that. Just the thought of salmon and eggs at breakfast is making me gag.

Do you eat by a 'don't eat unless you're hungry' mentality? One of my trainers does and I'm tempted to try to make this plan more flexible to allow for that. Because I am not a breakfast person. But that would sway my overall calories downward and I'd likely have to make up somewhere else. Unless eating under wouldn't harm me too much for 21 days, in which case I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm patiently waiting for the day I can add those oats back in though. Momma has a crave.

SIR, YES SIR.

Snack is an apple and almond butter later on. I think I could handle that. Just the thought of salmon and eggs at breakfast is making me gag.

Do you eat by a 'don't eat unless you're hungry' mentality? One of my trainers does and I'm tempted to try to make this plan more flexible to allow for that. Because I am not a breakfast person. But that would sway my overall calories downward and I'd likely have to make up somewhere else. Unless eating under wouldn't harm me too much for 21 days, in which case I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm patiently waiting for the day I can add those oats back in though. Momma has a crave.

Right now I don't, because I'm trying to gain muscle and lose fat, which needs a certain amount of fuel, So currently, I'm stuffing my face with a bunch of clean paleo food. Check out my MFP below (add me as a friend if you'd like).

But before when I focused only on weight loss through my diet, I just ate when I was hungry. When I was truly hungry. So at the first signal of hunger I'd drink a cup or so of water. Then wait, and if I was still hungry I would eat.

If I was at home and not working, I often wouldn't eat breakfast. Even days I worked, I might skip breakfast if I wasn't happy. The big boy thing was to tough it out til lunch if I got hungry before then. This taught me to really determine whether I would be hungry 30 minutes after leaving home or if I was truly not hungry.

It takes time to know your body. It's like when you spoil a kid, and then when you try to ween them off of it, they cry an scream. Our bodies do the same. Stick to your plan though for a bit longer, but modify slightly to suit you. It won't help to make yourself sick. If you want to meet the calorie goal, maybe pair a few meals together. 

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

The problem with 'don't eat unless you're hungry' is that we often don't know we are or we aren't. In the morning, just because you don't like to eat breakfast doesn't mean your body doesn't need a bit of fuel in the tank. Maybe it's not a big breakfast. Maybe it's a Carnation instant breakfast drink. Not eating can do damage to your blood sugar levels and stunt your metabolism. Your car needs gas the same way you do :)

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: therealkat :: a witty challenge title appears!

MyFitnessPal || Strava || Endomondo || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay. And I'm on Facebook

www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work.html

Just watched this, talking about mindful eating. Pretty interesting stuff. Health at Every Size doesn't seem so unbelievable, so I guess that leads me to realize that my vanity has a bigger part to play in my want to change lifestyle than weight itself. Not that surprising, considering I am 'normal' weight and 'average' BMI, but maybe it would allow for me to cut myself some slack. I ENJOY eating healthier and I ENJOY working out. It's developing those habits that was difficult.

I've also heard mixed things about breakfast. Some people swear by it, some people swear it off. I feel like I'm not hungry in the morning and sometimes, depending on how heavy/rich the food is, I feel sick afterward. I usually consider my 'breakfast' the foods I eat around 11am because by then I don't seem to feel as sick. I think maybe I should just stick to breakfast when I'm hungry for it, rather than forcing it down.

I just ate the snack (2 tbsp of almond butter instead of 1 because why not, right?) and I'm feeling more energetic now. At least I should have the energy to stand up and do the dishes and put the shizz in the crockpot ready for the turkey stew tonight.

Also feeling somewhat bored of cooking at this point. My husband has helped minimally, but I feel like I'm always in the kitchen. I guess this is a huge reason why I ate crap before, because it was just quicker. In a household where I already feel like I'm on the go (except for moments like this when my daughter is blissfully unaware of my computer time and playing with her puzzle FINALLY) it's really becoming a chore to make some of these more 'hands on' meals, like this turkey stew for example. Had to throw the butterball in the oven as soon as I woke up this morning and the ensuing smell made me nauseous. (And made my cat my best friend fo' lyfe.)

I feel you with hating being in the kitchen. Between loading and unloading the washer and doing dishes and making dinner, I feel I may as well put a bed in there and sleep. It makes cooking really bleh. I find if I keep trying new things and challenging myself to learn a new technique or a new recipe that helps a lot.

YES. It's like all the prep work means I'm washing dishes three times a day. I don't have a dishwasher either, so it's all by hand. T_T

Just plugged in the calories per serving of the stew I'm making and it's like 300 calories per serving. So depending on how I start to feel this afternoon depends on if I have a late lunch (was supposed to be chicken and salad) or just wait until dinner and at least have a double serving of stew. Thinking about gym and if I'd have enough energy to go. What I could I eat to boost my energy level?

I haven't read back so far, but why so low on energy? If it's diet wise you may be too low on hydration or too restricted in your diet. Nuts... spinach... water... Something whole grain...

I just don't feel well today. Could be the paleo. Could be something I ate. Could be my numbers are skewed. I just have no energy and I feel sore. /pity party

Everything in the crockpot for the stew, so I managed to get my dishes clean and dinner going. Small victories.

Probably will have lunch in a little while. Might use turkey rather than chicken simply because I already baked it this morning so why not.

sorry you're feeling like crap lately.  :(
as far as the cooking thing goes, i used to feel the same way. i've been baking since i was about 12 years old and i LOVE it, but cooking was a different story, until i did my whole30. i realized a big reason i didn't enjoy cooking was because it took me so long to do everything. with baking, i had been practicing it for so many years that i had learned all the shortcuts, which steps could be combined, and generally to anticipate what came next in a certain kind of recipe, so i could make stuff really fast. after my whole30, i had started to develop a lot of these same skills on the cooking front, and i found a few very simple very fast recipes that i liked which i could use as fall-back meals. so maybe with some practice, things will be faster for you in the kitchen.  :)
hang in there! you've made it almost a week already!

• Like 1

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

I think it's the prep time that kills me. I'm fine with shoving it all in an oven or crockpot and walking the heck away, but I totally get why people pay more for pre-chopped vegetables and the like! Plus this plan never really said it was time saving or anything. Anyone know any Paleo/Clean Eating/Whole30 blogs that have speed and ease in mind?

I'm currently typing this with my daughter jumping on my chair behind me...looking to ask her grandma to babysit for a couple of hours this weekend to have a little break...

Might do some light yoga or stretching tonight as I'm not going to gym. I don't feel like I could commit to the hour I need to get the work done.

Discussing with my husband, with whom I've been doing this Paleo plan with, and we both have the same complaints about it thus far. It's boring. He's tired of the bland suggestions. I'm tired of eating so much meat that I feel backed up. Watch this space. Deciding where to go with this.

A DECISION HAS BEEN MADE.

We are going with a more 80/20 approach. This plan did NOT make me feel good. I cried. I cried quite a bit, actually. Over feeling sick, over hating my body, over the blandness of the food...I just felt like I was falling apart. 4 days is better than no days. And I want to keep eating Paleo centered meals, but this diet plan just doesn't seem like it's the best fit for me. Failure happens. It's a learning experience.

Tomorrow will go pretty much as planned. Green smoothie for breakfast. Turkey stew I made today for lunch, with broccoli side. And shrimp and spaghetti squash with tomato sauce for dinner. HOWEVER, if I want a banana or a bowl of oatmeal and my calories allow for it, I'm doing it.

Part of my challenge was to drop the self-depreciation. I found I was more angry at myself and bitter at myself for not giving into my cravings than I have been for a while.

I will make this weight-loss work, just not the way I'd planned.

Awesome! It's all about making decisions for what works for you!

Honestly, I'm kind of glad you're off that plan. Personally I found I ate better food when I just ate when I was hungry. I only made sure to eat plenty of veggies (instead of carb heavy foods like sweet potatoes) and then ate whatever paleo thing I wanted. And it was great! And If I wanted a slice of pizza, then I would eat one, then move on. If you eat cleanly long enough you'll find that you may crave some foods, but after eating them you'll notice that it wasn't that satisfying / worth it. 

Everyone is different, and it all takes a different time. As long as you know you're making better food choices and not overeating, you'll do fine. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I feel kind of bummed I didn't get the experience I was hoping for from it, but I guess I made an assumption like it would be a cake walk and it was not. I give major props to anyone doing Whole30 after coming off of a sugar binge. This shit does not feel good.

When I woke up again today feeling sick and weak, I realized that even if it was only temporary (which I'm assuming it is) I cannot function well enough to take care of my daily routine. Most of yesterday was spent on the couch (the humidity also played havoc with my knees) so my daughter didn't understand why I couldn't play with her and why I wouldn't get up. It's not fair for her that my vanity is overtaking her formative years. It made me reevaluate a lot of things, including having to remind myself that there's no quick fix and that whatever I attempt to do should be sustainable.

Really appreciating the support right now. I feel like a giant baby. /whines

Yeah, I think you may have hit it really hard. A more gradual approach may be better. Also, I don't think that plan was that great. Do what's best for you! Like I said I like paleo, but I couldn't stick to a plan. I actually bought a whole year of the Paleo Plan. Which wasn't a mistake but it just didn't work out for me. I'm too random to have a set meal plan like that. Instead the wife and I just found recipes that we wanted to try for the week. Then we know what we like and what we don't.

Also, Paleo will always require a ton of prep work because that's what we're doing. Eating unprocessed foods. Thus we have to cook. It sucks because we want to do other things, but that's just part of it. Learning to batchcook if you can of a recipe that you like will be a bit of a savings. 

But take it slow, I know you can do it.

... including having to remind myself that there's no quick fix and that whatever I attempt to do should be sustainable.

THIS. I have to do this ALLLLL the time. <3

Isn't it annoying?! Oh my God, I've lost count of all the times I suddenly get that epiphany of 'why am I in such a rush?!'

I made a 'Green smoothie'. I had to pour it back into the blender to take some of the chunkiness of the seeds out of it, but I realized this morning it called for 'ground' chia seeds. Yeah. Whatever. I'm choking this baby down with a slice of apple. I think it would taste better if it had some mango in it. Now I'm craving mangoes.

Picking and choosing recipes sounds like a great idea, Alex! Did you find anything from the plan that you'd use?

I want to get back to making more recipes from http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Thanks guys. I feel kind of bummed I didn't get the experience I was hoping for from it, but I guess I made an assumption like it would be a cake walk and it was not. I give major props to anyone doing Whole30 after coming off of a sugar binge. This shit does not feel good.

When I woke up again today feeling sick and weak, I realized that even if it was only temporary (which I'm assuming it is) I cannot function well enough to take care of my daily routine. Most of yesterday was spent on the couch (the humidity also played havoc with my knees) so my daughter didn't understand why I couldn't play with her and why I wouldn't get up. It's not fair for her that my vanity is overtaking her formative years. It made me reevaluate a lot of things, including having to remind myself that there's no quick fix and that whatever I attempt to do should be sustainable.

Really appreciating the support right now. I feel like a giant baby. /whines

I hear ya. It's definitely not a cake walk, but you will feel better soon. Assuming you've seen this guide already? http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Yep, I've read it. But day 4 and 5 I did not feel functional and my limbs killed. XD And instead of wanting to punch all the things, I just wanted to cry.

My husband and I decided to keep going through the few days we have the meal plan for, modify if necessary, and then figure out every 3 days of meal plan on our own, not following this specific guide I have. Especially considering some of the recipes next week say 'follow recipe' and don't actually give me the recipe! I should have double-checked the entire plan before I went ahead, I don't have enough time to be figuring out what comes closest in my random Googling or Pinterest searches. T_T

I am down for a good stew, and crock pot recipes are a blessing, especially on gym days!

Tapioca crepes? Now I'm intrigued...

If affects everyone differently. Is it your first such 'cleanse' type activity?

And thanks for the link to skinnytaste. I just wanna eat it all now.

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Yes. Apart from a short-lived attempt at a fad cleanse a few years ago, this is my first shot at eating whole foods and eating Paleo at that. The removal of dairy from my diet (which I suffered no ill effects from before) is one of the things I feel is causing me to feel so weak. Could just be in my head though.

I love Skinnytaste. Some of her chicken roll-up recipes are divine!

Trying to convince my daughter that a nap is a good idea. She's currently stomping around saying 'no!' and picking up her toy giraffe and hurling him to the ground repeatedly. And picking her nose. So much for being my little princess... XD

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines