Sambalina's Slow and Steady

Sambalina

Hey guys! As always, your support means the world to me. Ankther day down sugar-free, so $15 earned so far.

As for what I'll do with the money if I fail? I am waaaaaay too selfish to donate it to something I don't like. I'd just never do that. I dont want to put SO much pressure on myself that it becomes this huge thing. I will just remove that amount from my 'fun money' budget and use it to pay bills!

Gym is going well, though the DOMS im getting from this new routine are impressive :D About the only thing I'm enjoying from the Academy are the workouts.I felt the lessons were just stuff from the blog rewritten, plus I do a lot of independent health research and reading, so there wasn't anything new there, and the message boards are women only. There's nothing wrong with that, but I just don't really like the vibe.

Lesson planning is all on track.

Things with KJ are good on a relationship level, but I am a little worried about this traditional Korean religion he's started to get heavily involved in. He described it himself as "cult-like" and he has started spending a lot of time and money there over the past 3-4 weeks. I am being super supportive, but really dont want to be telling people the story of that time I had that boyfriend who I had to breakup with because he joined a cult! It does seem to be helping him with his stress levels, but when he chooses to spend all night paying to meditate instead of being with me... I'm hoping the intensity is just a phase. Once a week is great, all weekend including overnight is a bit more than I am willing to work with.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I agree completly, Dom. He does too... but is still going. What it comes down to is me being scared its going to 'take him away from me'. But, what can I do? I can interfere with someone's religion, even if its new abd kind of creepy. It's his life. Better I find out now, anyway, rather than if I became more committed to him!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I agree completly, Dom. He does too... but is still going. What it comes down to is me being scared its going to 'take him away from me'. But, what can I do? I can interfere with someone's religion, even if its new abd kind of creepy. It's his life. Better I find out now, anyway, rather than if I became more committed to him!

Did he tell you why he is still going even if he thinks it is cultish? What about Zen buddhism? Maybe he should try that?

But But But YAY for the awesome work outs!

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer

|STR 2| DEX 2| STA 1| CON 2| WIS 4| CHR 2|

Highest Weight: 303 Current Weight: 268.5

Twitter: Kim_Taura Skype: taureanfreak Email: taureanfreak@gmail.com

Paying to meditate sounds like a red flag, too. Never heard of a place where meditation isn't free.

Anyway, as Kim says, congratulations on the workouts! And thanks for the feedback on the academy. I was going to sign up, but the description emphasized beginner so much that (while I'm not advanced, by any means) I just felt it might not be for me. I've pretty much learned how to get started and progress in a way that's right for me, so decided to keep working through challenges instead. Sounds like that was a good decision. I agree with your earlier statement, though, about already having received $99 of benefit from NF just through these challenges and forums. I bought the earlier guides, and plan to buy some clothing from NF, too, so will find other ways to pay back the benefits I'm getting.

Human Ranger, Level 10
Long-term Goal: Hike WA section of Pacific Crest Trail, August 2014

Current Challenge | Facebook (personal & locavore) | Blog | Twitter

"You stand at the verge, and you could become anything." - Dan Chaon

Kim - yeah, he's going because he says he curious, and doesn't want to judge them based on a knee-jerk reaction. It's also the same religion one of his grandmothers was heavily into - which he didn't know when he found them. He believes he came across them for a reason, and while that reason may not be to 'join their ranks' permanently, he feels there is something for him to learn about the situation. The fact that he discusses his worries and suspicions with me, while continuing to keep and open mind is, I think, a good thing?

PA, the money, apparently, goes towards the rituals and materials costs, and food for everyone. 

But, I did get to see KJ for lunch yesterday, which means I didn't get my third gym session for the week because my gym closes on Sundays. So, today I'm going to do a bit of bodyweight work and then after lunch I'm going for a big walk to a lake that's out the back of the University where I work. I've never been out there, but I've been told it's a good walk. I'll take some photos.

Also, yesterday... I went out for lunch with KJ and was given what I thought was tea. It wasn't.... it was a super sweet jujube cordial thing :( So, not knowing this, I knocked it back - I was really thirsty. So, sugar-free day 4 was destroyed :( HOWEVER, because it was not my fault, I am not going to lose all my money. I won't get my $5 for yesterday, but this is really more about me learning and controlling myself. What do you guys think?

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

I agree. It was an accident, not a decision or control fail, so I think they way you're handling it is perfect.

And I agree. If KJ is still talking about it pro and con, then it sounds like he's keeping an open mind. If it was me, I'd be doing research on techniques used by cults to encourage new members. For example, one way is to have people surrounded by music or chants or whatever 24/7, which distracts people's ability to think. Lots of talk about how people are more advanced spiritually, etc.--compliments--are another technique. You could find some of the best articles to pass on to him, maybe, suggesting he watch for those techniques.

Human Ranger, Level 10
Long-term Goal: Hike WA section of Pacific Crest Trail, August 2014

Current Challenge | Facebook (personal & locavore) | Blog | Twitter

"You stand at the verge, and you could become anything." - Dan Chaon

Sneaks in. Steals all the candy and stashes it all over Brazil. No more candy for Sam!

Uh Sam, I get why you feel a little concerned abt the religion thing, but PA is right, research never killed anyone. Hugs xx

Sent with awesomeness from my iPad using Tapatalk

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Blaidd!! Hope everything is amazing for you :D And thanks for stealing the candy, much appreciated.

Ok, time for a week one wrap-up!

Apart from the slip involving the tea, everything has gone great. My cabs have been at or around 150g per day, except yesterday when I decided to experiment and only ate 60g. I may try it again today, 'cos I feel fine and I've heard that the occasional drop in carbs can really help move things along with regards to getting your body fat adapted. I've been gluten-free and paleo (excluding some sugar-free yoghurt) all week.

I only got the the gym twice last week, but that might have been a good thing. The new barbell battalion workouts are making me do some new stuff, so a good recovery over the weekend will hopefully let me lift nice and strong today. No progress on the weights yet, I plan to add 2kg to each lift in the second half of this week - but maybe not for all my reps. Have to see what I can handle.

Lesson planning is all good too! All I have left for the film class is to update the exams with the new info, which shouldn't be hard, and then I'm on to doing ESL low, which will mainly involve designing all the tests and laying out the homework activities. The homework will be the biggie because I'm planning on having the class write and act out role-plays relevant to each week's lesson, film themselves, and the send it to me for assessment. We will probably do some whole-class peer assessments too. Fun! But, it's the first time I've done it, so working out the logistics and explanations might take a while.

2 weeks to Vanuatu!!

I did some research and I spoke to KJ about the religion thing last night. I asked how it was going and was it something he thought he wanted to do long-term. He said he wasn't sure yet, but he didn't like the way it was taking up all his time and that he'd like to go maybe once a month. That sounded good to me (once a week is fine, just not all weekend!), and I asked him if the group was ok with that, but he said no, they encouraged full attendance and told him he was missing out if he didn't always go. I said "Hm, good marketing tactic", which he agreed with. So, while I think he enjoys the spirituality (it a form of Buddhism with very old traditional Korean stuff mixed in), he's not (yet?) prepared to commit all his time to it. I really want him to explore this side of himself, and get whatever he needs from this, and I just have to be calm, try to accept the cultural things I can't understand, but also keep an eye out for crazies preying on the fact that he is a spiritual guy with a high-stress job searching for some meaning and peace.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

once per month sounds like reasonable and casual relationship :) plus as long as he is talking with u about cons and pros of this religion - I think it's ok.

nice going with your challenge - don't worry about that no-tea-drink = u didn't do it purposely !!

and trip to Vanuatu??? Holy crap that sounds awesome - u truly live around amazing and beautiful places Sam :)

cheers

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

You're right, Panczo - about everything you  wrote :)

And I certainly do get to explore some awesome places. It's been a full year, almost, since I last travelled. I did so much in 2012 and the start of 2013 that I was a bit burnt out. I still wouldn't be going anywhere if it wasn't to see my family, but I am pretty excited about it. Mum told me yesterday she got me a VIP card in my name to one of the fancy resorts on the island! I have no idea what that means or what the benefit is... but it sounds good! I'm imaging access to beautiful swimming pools. Oh! Maybe the have spa treatments? I would love a massage.

Ok, enough travel excitement for one post!

All goals are on track - I'm still sugar-free, giving me $30 earned so far :) I've been experimenting with eating <100g of crabs for the past three days (just to try it out). I've been at 60g, 80g, and 70g for sun-mon-tues. I'm not really feeling anything here nor there. I did get really hungry today because I didn't have breakfast and I craved candy like a crazy person. Instead, I made the biggest tuna omelette I've ever eaten and had it with cheese, olives, and almonds. That shut me up for about 6 hours :D

Only two workouts left this week, and I'll be finished phase one of barbell battalion. I want to increase my lifts tomorrow - even if it's just by 1kg.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

$30, cha-ching! Almost half way, you can do it!

I did some research and I spoke to KJ about the religion thing last night. I asked how it was going and was it something he thought he wanted to do long-term. He said he wasn't sure yet, but he didn't like the way it was taking up all his time and that he'd like to go maybe once a month. That sounded good to me (once a week is fine, just not all weekend!), and I asked him if the group was ok with that, but he said no, they encouraged full attendance and told him he was missing out if he didn't always go.

A religion that pressures you into full attendance and requires you to pay....definitely sounds like a cult/method for legal extortion to me.

I thought this checklist was interesting

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Awww, that's too cute! Thanks Dimples!

Yeah, I am still on the cult-alert. However, it really is his decision and his life at this point. I'm hoping it's a phase that he'll have explored fully by the time I'm back from Vanuatu. If he's still going so intensely after that, it'll have been about 9 weeks since he started and maybe time for me to openly express concern to him.

So, deadlift day today. All good, except I banged the bar on my left knee on the way down and now it's a very pretty purple colour, a bit swollen, and slightly painful. I'm imagining it's going to stiffen up as the day goes on. I'm supposed to be going ice skating tonight, but I'll have to see how it feels. Not a major injury, but I don't want it to become one by over-working it when it's already banged up. Ouch! (But, is it wrong that I also feel like a bit of a bad-ass for having epic deadlift bruises?).

Oh and a deadlift story! So, I was in the gym, only white girl, only girl in the free weight area. There's a small Korean girl/woman/female (maybe 20 years old) there with her boyfriend. She's literally playing with a couple of 1-2kg dumbbells, like just holding them or swinging them around while giggling excessively at her boy (who, to give him credit, was quite built). Anyway, I started my working sets, which were at 52kg today, and you should have seen her face! I guess I was probably lifting her bodyweight, and her mouth just hung open as I picked it up :D It's not a big weight, I know, but it's big for me, and it was nice to impress someone :)

• Like 1

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

deadlift bruises are like combat bruises :) wear them with pride :!!! :D

honestly I think 52kilos deadlift it's very impressive - it's probably very subjective so most importante is that it's big for YA !!!

hahahah I would love to see that girl face :)

tumblr_lp28zoThar1r0byljo1_500.gif

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

how u doin Sam?

So, deadlift day today. All good, except I banged the bar on my left knee on the way down and now it's a very pretty purple colour, a bit swollen, and slightly painful. I'm imagining it's going to stiffen up as the day goes on. I'm supposed to be going ice skating tonight, but I'll have to see how it feels. Not a major injury, but I don't want it to become one by over-working it when it's already banged up. Ouch! (But, is it wrong that I also feel like a bit of a bad-ass for having epic deadlift bruises?).

Oh and a deadlift story! So, I was in the gym, only white girl, only girl in the free weight area. There's a small Korean girl/woman/female (maybe 20 years old) there with her boyfriend. She's literally playing with a couple of 1-2kg dumbbells, like just holding them or swinging them around while giggling excessively at her boy (who, to give him credit, was quite built). Anyway, I started my working sets, which were at 52kg today, and you should have seen her face! I guess I was probably lifting her bodyweight, and her mouth just hung open as I picked it up :D It's not a big weight, I know, but it's big for me, and it was nice to impress someone :)

Nice work! Look after those knees, you need them :)

I know what you mean about "excessive giggling", it seems to be a thing with girls from some Asian countries, not sure what the deal is?

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

I'm still here! Just really quiet. I'm going well at the gym, should get most of my work finished today, and then it's off to Vanuatu on Sunday!

I fell off the 'no sugar' wagon about a week ago, and am just now getting things back under control. It wasn't anything spectacularly bad, but I enjoyed the hell out of that Kit Kat Chunky. (TMI Warning) The extreme sugar cravings lasted EXACTLY as long as my period did, and I felt unable to control them. I tried lots of the tricks, but I was obsessed. I even went out one evening in the freezing temperatures to walk through the snow to get a chocolate bar. Maybe sugar can be a three weeks off - one week in moderation thing. I don't know.

Anyway, fully back on track now, but I'm sure there will be many exceptions over the next three weeks while on vacation. However, I'll still be avoiding gluten and grains.

Updates might be few and far between while I travel, but I will be back :)

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

"Maybe sugar can be a three weeks off - one week in moderation thing. I don't know."

I know most of nerds here are paleo oriented, but me as a "somewhere between" guy with easy-going relationship with food would like to tell that maybe u are right here? That maybe being so strict and black&white is not the only way to be healthy? I mean seriously, with so much healthy food u are eating and moving your body - could this one week of moderate sugar do so much harm? I don't think so - plus it will help u to build up your will power and good mood once u let go of that full-control-zero-sugar mode.

it's just my humble opinion :) u might as well give it a try and see how it goes :)

anyways... great to hear u are doing awesome with your challenge... have I wonderful vacation !!!

• Like 1

I think we're having the sweet cravings the same time.hahaha!you saw me or read about when eat fruits, that bag of trail mix and my dark chocolate. I settled down but I come to terms to give myself a little something-something for a good jorb today. like a banana.. or half a box of tangerines... whatever.

I'm Korean and I never heard of a religion like that. O_o... if it's old fashioned Buddhism, don't people just shave their heads and live in the temples? Sorry I joking. But I'm glad you did research and KJ is aware of their sales tactics..

I see a lot of fems at the gym hanging around their bfs wearing cute gym clothes and not lifting a thing.. I tend to ignore them. But I admit I always check at least once if they just saw what I just lifted. Lol!

posted from my awesome G2 using Tapatalk... probably goofing off at work or on the throne.

Momoxstarx the N00bcake Extraordinaire

lvl 2 Mithra Warrior

[STR 3|DEX 2|STA 5|CON 2|WIS 2|CHA 1]

"Hold onto your knickers..."

Tumblr - Instagram - YouTube

Hey Sam *waves*

Kit Kat's are one of the worst for sugar content too! Never mind it's not like you're eating them every day, the occasional one isn't going to kill you, just shows how powerful the pull of the sugar fairy is though eh?!

How exciting to be leaving the colder climes for a Vanuatu vacation! Have a great time, I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when you get back.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines