Astounding Myself: On My Way To Teri 2.0

Teri

"If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

With many small health/fitness changes over the last several years I've evolved into a person who is able to accomplish some things I NEVER thought imaginable. In the last year I've completed 2 - 21 day sugar detoxes where I've cut out ALL sugar in any form, plus no grains, dairy and only one apple or banana a day. Two years ago there is NO way I could have done that. Several weeks before Christmas I started a really tough 6 week workout plan (through Nerd Fitness Academy) and I finally accomplished my goal of doing a REAL chin up. I've been working on that for over a year and was beginning to think it would never happen. I'm using the revelations I've learned about myself and food/fitness to continue onward and upward to the new me, Teri 2.0, with my first Nerd Fitness Challenge.

Main Motivation: I want to live a lifestyle that will lead me to optimal health so I will be around many years in order to take care of my parents and PLAY with the kids in my life. I love playing!!!

Main Quest: Lose 1" from my waist and 1" from my hips.

Goal 1: No weighing (except at my TOPS weekly weigh in) or measuring

This is something I'm kind of obsessive about. I weigh daily and will measure my hips and waist once or twice a week. In the last few months I've evolved from working out and eating "right" to lose weight to doing those things to be healthy. With that in mind, I need to stop focusing on the numbers. Yes, I still want to lose some inches, but more than that I want to be healthy and feel good the way I do when I eat right and exercise consistently!

Goal 2: My eating will consist of 80% primal eating.

I can have meat, eggs, vegetables, nuts, seeds, healthy fats, sweet potatoes, limited fruit (a couple servings a day) and limited dairy products (some cheese, sour cream, cream, etc. occasionally).

Goal 3: I will complete 3 yoga workouts (at least 15 minutes) per week.

I'm pretty consistent with my bodyweight workouts and running/biking, but I feel like I need the yoga for stretching and relaxation.

Life Quest: While at work I will spend 30 minutes or less per day on facebook/Daily Mile.

Ouch! Just being honest with myself here...I have a job where I sit at my desk half of the day. As long as I have my work ready to go for the other half of the day I can pretty much do what I want. Typically, I'll spend part of my desk time on either facebook or Daily Mile. This has to stop!!!

I'm looking forward to astounding myself when I look at who I have become on February 16th!

• Like 2

Class/Profession: Hobbit/Ranger - Level 4

Current Attributes: STR: 2, DEX: 3.5, STA: 8.5, CON: 8.5, WIS: 11.5, CHA: 4

Habits I'm Working On: #1, #2

Previous Challenges: #1, #2, #3.1(fail), #3.2

Quote: "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

I'm with you on the weighing and measuring. I only do a weekly weigh in, but occasionally in past weeks I would obsess a bit too much about the numbers. You're exactly right with focusing being healthy and eating right rather than the numbers.

• Like 2

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

Woohoo!  Subbed for NFA lovin!

• Like 2

Crystal Gem Druid || Stat-free Level-free Goodness

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." Panic Station, Muse

Okay, today is the first day of the challenge so I decided I would get my weight and measurements.

Weight: 155.5 pounds (5'2" tall)

Measurements are in inches

Waist: 33.75

Hips: 42.25

Bust: 38

Neck: 13

R Bicep: 12.75

L Bicep: 13

R Thigh: 23.5 - taken about 3 inches down from crotch, stand with legs together

L Thigh: 24

R Calf: 13.5

L Calf: 14

• Like 2

Quote: "If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

I forgot to do mine this morning!  I need to take some, it's been a few months.  I'm kind of scared though!

• Like 1

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life."  Athene, Best Paladin in the World

Well, I haven't taken any measurements but I had my husband take some start of challenge pics.  Whhheeewww I can really see that 20 lbs I put on since Sept when I compare progress pics.  

Hi there awesome lady!  How is your week going?  I haven't been keeping up with NFA fb pages.  Hope all is well!

This week was super busy at work. It was my prep week (I teach at a community college). I am teaching a new class this semester and I'm a great procrastinator (see my personal blog for a post about Premier Procrastination) so I didn't do much getting ready for it over my 3 week break. Thus, I pulled two all-nighters and totally screwed up my workout schedule. However, I'm an adult and realize there are priorities in life and this last week those priorities were work related so I did what had to be done. Not only did I not have time for working out, I certainly didn't have time to log about what was going on, nor check in on anyone else. Hopefully that too will change this coming week.

I realized I didn't post a "grading scale" for my first challenge so here goes:

A - 0 times stepping on the scales and/or using a tape measure

B - 1-7 times stepping on the scales and/or using a tape measure

C - 8-14 times stepping on the scales and/or using a tape measure

D - 15-21 times stepping on the scales and/or using a tape measure

F - 22 or more times times stepping on the scales and/or using a tape measure

A - 0-4 meals/snacks weekly that are non-primal and are consciously planned.

UNPLANNED NON-PRIMAL MEALS/SNACKS WILL COUNT AS 2 MEALS/SNACKS

B - 5 meals/snacks weekly that are non-primal and are consciously planned.

C - 6 meals/snacks weekly that are non-primal and are consciously planned.

D - 7 meals/snacks weekly that are non-primal and are consciously planned.

F - 8 or more meals/snacks weekly that are non-primal and are consciously planned.

A - 3 - 15 minute workouts

B - 2 - 15 minute workouts

D - 1 - 15 mintue workout

F - 0 workouts

Life Quest: While at work I will spend 30 minutes or less per day on facebook/Daily Mile.

A - 5 days of 30 minutes or less per day on facebook/DailyMile during working hours.

B - 4  days of 30 minutes or less per day on facebook/DailyMile during working hours.

C - 3 days of 30 minutes or less per day on facebook/DailyMile during working hours.

D - 2 days of 30 minutes or less per day on facebook/DailyMile during working hours.

F - 0 to 1 day of 30 minutes or less per day on facebook/DailyMile during working hours.

Overall Final Grade will be determined by averaging the weekly grades. I will assign point levels to each grade, add them up, then divide by the total number of grades for a final grade point average. The grade point average will then be converted to a letter grade. See the grade to number ratio below:

A = 4 points

B = 3 points

C = 2 points

D = 1 points

F = 0 point

Overall Challenge Final Grading Scale Conversion 4.0 = A, 3.5-3.9 = B+, 3.0-3.4 = B, 2.9-2.5 = C+, 2.0-2.4 = C, 1.9-1.5 = D+, 1.0-1.4 + D, 0-0.99 = F

WHEW! I feel better now that I have a grading scale in place (that's the teacher in me). :redface:

I know my first week is a few hours shy of being over, but I have a feeling I won't have time to do this tomorrow so I am going to go ahead and post my week 1 results now. The only thing that could change my grade is if I make an unconscious food choice in the next 7 hours and that is not likely to happen.

Week 1: Astounding Myself Results

A - No problem with this one. One morning I did tap on the scales to get them started (they come on when you tap on them), but I think it was just out of habit. I wasn't even tempted to step on them. I'm finding not worrying about the number on the scale is kind of freeing. I was a bit concerned Friday when I put on some jeans and they were snug. I couldn't figure it out because I ate very well this week. Then Friday night my monthly visitor showed up and I realized I was probably bloated earlier that day.

A - Conscious non-primal choices

1) Chinese lunch w/ a friend - I skipped the crab ragoons, fried rice and lo mein all of which are my favorites. I tried to eat a lot of broccoli from the chicken and broccoli dish so I would get a lot of veggies so I tried to be smart

2) Oreos for supper (counts as 2 meals/snacks because it was totally not planned)

3) White chocolate caramel cappuccino - a Friday morning treat

B - I only did two yoga workouts this week. However, on my second one I did 30 minutes to make up for the 15 minutes I missed. I'm still giving myself a B because spreading it out over the week is important!

A - This was fairly easy to do this week because I was SO busy. I didn't even spend time on these sites while at home either!

Current Overall Grades:

Main Quest: B+

Life Quest: A

• Like 1

Your goals are awesome - good for you for making it a goal not to stress about the number on the scale. 

also, I have never been able to do a chin up - you must be some kind of awesome.  I look forward to seeing your progress over the next few weeks!

• Like 2

Currently Walking / Biking / Hiking to Mordor 

On my way to Rivendell: 208.14 / 458 miles 

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog

Wow!  I love an organized list - great job!  Have you always done yoga?  Is it a class you take, or you just know what to do?  I've always been interested, but not brave enough to tackle a class in it.

Have a great week!

tgromig,

I love an organized list too! Sometimes I won't do things because I can't take the time to get it organized the way I want it, lol!!! About the yoga, a few years ago I decided the only real aspect of fitness I was missing was stretching and staying loose. I researched both pilates and yoga to see which one would make the most sense for what I was wanting to achieve and yoga won. I signed up for a class at our local recreation commission and much to my surprise I REALLY liked it. After the sessions I felt so relaxed and that was not even the benefit I trying to achieve. I didn't stay with the classes long because they were at an inconvenient time so I went to the local book store and found a book/dvd combo I liked. I also started looking online for short yoga workouts targeting specific areas. This Christmas I researched some more books and my son got me one as a gift. So I do a little bit of everything, the dvd workout I have, specific workouts I have bookmarked from online and then now I'm working through the poses in the new book I have. I have a playlist of panflute music on my ipod (it's soothing/calm music) so I turn it on and just work on whichever yoga stuff I feel like I want to do. Most of the time I only do it for 15 minutes, but I figure 15 minutes of stretching and relaxing is better than nothing. I set is as a goal because I'm very inconsistent with doing it, whereas I'm very consistent with my other workouts. Listed below are the resources I use

Slim Calm Sexy Yoga book

15 Minute Gentle Yoga book dvd combo

Yoga online links - I think you can get to my yoga links if I did this correctly.

• Like 1

Your goals are awesome - good for you for making it a goal not to stress about the number on the scale. 

also, I have never been able to do a chin up - you must be some kind of awesome.  I look forward to seeing your progress over the next few weeks!

RunSpiderMonkeyRun,

I worked forever to get that first chin up. I really believe it was the Get Fit Quick workout in the bonuses section that got me to the point I could do it. I just read the post on the main NF blog about doing handstands. I really wanted to start training for that RIGHT NOW, but my brain actually kicked in and told me to cool my jets. There will be another six week challenge after this one and now I know one of the things I'll be working on.  :playful:

• Like 2

tgromig,

I love an organized list too! Sometimes I won't do things because I can't take the time to get it organized the way I want it, lol!!! About the yoga, a few years ago I decided the only real aspect of fitness I was missing was stretching and staying loose. I researched both pilates and yoga to see which one would make the most sense for what I was wanting to achieve and yoga won. I signed up for a class at our local recreation commission and much to my surprise I REALLY liked it. After the sessions I felt so relaxed and that was not even the benefit I trying to achieve. I didn't stay with the classes long because they were at an inconvenient time so I went to the local book store and found a book/dvd combo I liked. I also started looking online for short yoga workouts targeting specific areas. This Christmas I researched some more books and my son got me one as a gift. So I do a little bit of everything, the dvd workout I have, specific workouts I have bookmarked from online and then now I'm working through the poses in the new book I have. I have a playlist of panflute music on my ipod (it's soothing/calm music) so I turn it on and just work on whichever yoga stuff I feel like I want to do. Most of the time I only do it for 15 minutes, but I figure 15 minutes of stretching and relaxing is better than nothing. I set is as a goal because I'm very inconsistent with doing it, whereas I'm very consistent with my other workouts. Listed below are the resources I use

Slim Calm Sexy Yoga book

15 Minute Gentle Yoga book dvd combo

Yoga online links - I think you can get to my yoga links if I did this correctly.

Thank you so much for the links!  I may try them this weekend and see how it goes.  It is something I have been wanting to try.  

• Like 1

I'm going to check out that Get Fit Quick workout, and I'm going to check out your yoga links! I think I could use that in my life. Although I haven't done a handstand since I was like, ten years old, and I doubt that will ever happen again for me, but good luck to you! Maybe that chin-up will be one of my goals in the next challenge! How did you second week go?

• Like 1

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Week 2 Update

Life is really crazy this semester. I'm teaching a new class so I will always be one step behind in everything! However, I'm determined to keep up with the challenge because this thing called being healthy is a part of who I am and these challenges just help me stay focused. More and more of these healthy strategies are becoming a habit which is awesome. Consistency does pay off.

So here are my results for week 2:

A - 0 times stepping on the scales and/or using a tape measure

I was a bit bummed when I weighed in at my TOPS meeting. I gained 3.5 pounds from when I'd last weighed in there the week before Christmas. However, I just kept telling myself, "It is just a number. You ARE doing the things you need to be doing including eating right and exercising consistently."

B - I had 4 meals/snacks that were non-primal, BUT one of them was totally unplanned so according to my grading I get a B for this. I actually forgot about that caveat of my grading scale and had I remembered I probably would not have had the popcorn Sunday evening!

A - 0-4 meals/snacks weekly that are non-primal and are consciously planned.

UNPLANNED NON-PRIMAL MEALS/SNACKS WILL COUNT AS 2 MEALS/SNACKS

B - 5 meals/snacks weekly that are non-primal and are consciously planned.

B - 2 - 15 minute workouts

I'm struggling with this one. I just can't seem to get in that third yoga workout.

A - 5 days of 30 minutes or less per day on facebook/DailyMile during working hours.

I get on facebook/Dailymile for just a few minutes about 3 or 4 times throughout the day. I check for comments, but rarely post much.

This weeks overall grade is a B+

It is hard for me to look at the B+ and be happy. I am an overachiever and academically I would never be happy with a B+. However, with this thing called living a healthy lifestyle I realize I am not "excellent" yet, nor do I know if I will ever be there. However, I can be happy with knowing I'm doing above average or very good work toward getting there because it is far beyond where I used to be.

Some things to note about last week.

• We went to Kansas City and I ate at my all time favorite restaurant, The Cheesecake Factory. We ordered our cheesecake at the same time we ordered our meal so they brought it out like an appetizer. This was awesome because I ate about half of it and that was enough sweetness. I had them box the rest up. Then the meal came and I ate about 1/2 of my meal. I was comfortable at that point and had them box the rest of it up. I wasn't overly stuffed and didn't try to force myself to eat the cheesecake because I'd already had some. It turned out to be a great strategy. Normally, I'd have eaten my meal, been full and then stuffed some of the cheesecake down my throat and been miserable. The cool thing was for supper that night I ate the leftovers so I got to enjoy the meal twice and never felt too full.
  • By Sunday night I'd only used 3 of my 4 non-primal food choices so I decided to go ahead and eat some popcorn. I was at my mom and dad's house and they had popcorn laying around. I promptly went home and fixed a big bowl of popcorn for me. Popcorn is one of my favorite foods. I wasn't necessarily craving it, but I saw it and it put the thought in my head. I could have lived without it and waited until a time when I planned to eat it. That was a learning lesson for this challenge. Just because I have a "non-primal" food choice left does not mean I have to use it. I would have been satisfied even if I hadn't eaten the popcorn.
  • The number on the scale does not define me. The healthy life strategies I'm doing on a consistent basis define me. It doesn't matter that I gained 3.5 pounds. What matters is that I ate healthy, exercised consistently, drank my water and tried to get a decent amount of sleep. I did good!
  • Like 2

Week 2 Update

This weeks overall grade is a B+

It is hard for me to look at the B+ and be happy. I am an overachiever and academically I would never be happy with a B+. However, with this thing called living a healthy lifestyle I realize I am not "excellent" yet, nor do I know if I will ever be there. However, I can be happy with knowing I'm doing above average or very good work toward getting there because it is far beyond where I used to be.

Some things to note about last week.

• We went to Kansas City and I ate at my all time favorite restaurant, The Cheesecake Factory. We ordered our cheesecake at the same time we ordered our meal so they brought it out like an appetizer. This was awesome because I ate about half of it and that was enough sweetness. I had them box the rest up. Then the meal came and I ate about 1/2 of my meal. I was comfortable at that point and had them box the rest of it up. I wasn't overly stuffed and didn't try to force myself to eat the cheesecake because I'd already had some. It turned out to be a great strategy. Normally, I'd have eaten my meal, been full and then stuffed some of the cheesecake down my throat and been miserable. The cool thing was for supper that night I ate the leftovers so I got to enjoy the meal twice and never felt too full.

You did a great job! I'm also a little bit of an overachiever and I like to do everything perfectly, but based on your post, you did so many awesome things, so don't feel bad about the few things that didn't go the way you wanted! It sounds like you were busy, and it's not easy to work in a new lifestyle around all the things you normally do.

Also, splitting a meal is a fantastic way to eat less and still enjoy it more- my husband and I sometimes split a meal if we go somewhere that serves giant portions, or I'll split the whole thing right at the beginning so I'll stop before I get too full and I won't be able to tempt myself with "one more bite"!

• Like 2

Main Motivation: I want to live a lifestyle that will lead me to optimal health so I will be around many years in order to take care of my parents and PLAY with the kids in my life. I love playing!!!

Love it :) Keep it up with your quests and your challenge!

• Like 2

Lexzy24

First Challenge | Second Challenge (Current Challenge)

My blog: www.altharia.com

Race: Halfling | Class: Assassin

[Level: 2 STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 0 ]

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines