Children of the Northlands!

As some have seen, my first week totally sucked. However --- after the simple change I made, the next 5 weeks should rock. I should have no problem of meeting my goal each week.... Hell there might even be some weeks I do more, but I'm not going to push myself to hard. I'm going to start listening to the inner me and what it wants to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woops, Lupus slipped up. Ok!

Mini Challenge!

The topic of this challenge is - slow motion!

Thats right! Basically im asking for one set - just one - of each exercise (possible) done as slow as possible.

A lot of us just go through the motions of our workouts without really thinking about whats going on. This way, you can really focus on what muscles are moving where, your breathing (breathe out when you move against a force, eg out when pushing up from a pushup, out when pushing the bar away on a bench press,  etc) and other such things. Really focus, turn your minds eye to each part to see hats moving where and why,

Post your results here :P

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Not sure about physically going slower with my lifts, but being more mindful of things like posture, form and breathing are definitely things I can work in this week... let's see...

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

Okay - so I've updated on my main thread with my Week One results but I wanted to post them here as well! 

Food was on point every day except for 2. I had Asian food one day and drinks on Saturday for a total of 89% accuracy for food this week - that's definitely not bad considering I'm a carb-o-holic who cut out grains, processed food, alcohol & sugar!

Cardio workouts: I got 13 of my 14 miles in for a total of 92% accuracy on that one. I'm happy with that considering I am still recovering from my evil knee injury. I'm planning on making up that mile today so I'll be all caught up by the end of next week   :highly_amused:

Lifting Workouts: I got 6 of 6 workouts in!!! YAY for 100%!!! I am absolutely LOVING this program! I've seen upward progress on all my lifts and am feeling fantastic!! Today is a rest day, and I can't wait to start Week Two tomorrow!!

Even though I am up 1/2 a pound in water weight, I took measurements this morning and I LOST about 5 inches from my midsection (waist, hips, bust, chest, belly button, etc!!) Woot!!! I'd say this is definitely a WIN!

Final Grade for Week One: 93% (average of all 3 below numbers)

Cardio = 13 of 14 done= 92%, Strength Training = 6 of 6 workouts done = 100%, Food = 5 of 7 days met = 89%

Overall, it was a great first week! I can't wait to see everyone else's results and see how we all did! 

PS - today is my rest day from lifting, so that "go as slow as possible" challenge will have to wait until tomorrow  :playful: 

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Ongoing Battle Log: My Quest for PRs and Endorphins

Hey guys! Hope everyone is having a great Monday and is ready to kick Week 2's butt! Here's a recap of my week:

1. Paleo: I only cheated one time and it was a conscious cheat; I went out for Mexican food with my mom, aunt and 2 cousins on Friday to celebrate a couple things

:)

2. Turning in every assignment: check!

Now the bad news.... I had some assignments that were due last week that were taking all of my time... in a 3 day period, I got about 5 hours of sleep.....and it was imperative that I get it turned in. I got it done, but my body is so worn out. I'm still struggling to recover from the lack of sleep, since I was already extremely sleep-deprived when last week started. My body just feels tired and run-down and I have -0 energy. I had a crazy week, my first week back to school, working a lot, watching my littles and staying up WAY too late on chat :) :) Sooooo I didn't work out this week. But I'm changing that TODAY.

3.  No running was done.

4. No strength training was done.

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

Woops, Lupus slipped up. Ok!

Mini Challenge!

The topic of this challenge is - slow motion!

Thats right! Basically im asking for one set - just one - of each exercise (possible) done as slow as possible.

A lot of us just go through the motions of our workouts without really thinking about whats going on. This way, you can really focus on what muscles are moving where, your breathing (breathe out when you move against a force, eg out when pushing up from a pushup, out when pushing the bar away on a bench press,  etc) and other such things. Really focus, turn your minds eye to each part to see hats moving where and why,

Post your results here :tongue:

Lupus - since this is my first challenge, I'm supposed to ignore any other mini or side challenges, correct?  At least that's how I read the instructions.

Trevor, the Quantified Heathen

Race: Man-Bear | Class: Heathen

Level: 2 | STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 1.75 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

Current Challenge | Previous Challenge

Battle Log:  NF or blog

Lupus - since this is my first challenge, I'm supposed to ignore any other mini or side challenges, correct?  At least that's how I read the instructions.

It's entirely your choice whether or not you want to do them. I've done mini challenges every challenge so far.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Trevor, you can choose which ones you want to participate in. Don't do them if they interfere with your own goals.

Snow, you did as good as was possible! Way to go on the first two goals. As for the last two, start now!

Stardust, that's awesome! Great that you lost all those inches!

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

OK - Week 1 Report!!!

Specific goals:

1. Finish C25K training - on schedule.  I started week 5 yesterday and was going strong despite a slight stiffness in left calf
  2. Eliminate alcohol - 5 days out of 7 (about 70%) - showing a C there, but I think my grade will improve over the course of the challenge as my body gets used to not having alcohol.
  3. Cook one healthy meal daily - 5 days out of 7 (70%) - another C, but we're learning new habits. 
Life side quest:

1. Listen to the Self-Esteem CDs  by Jack Canfield - 2 out of 5 are done - so I'm way on schedule there.
Fitness side quest:

1. Join the Nerd Fitness Academy!!!! DONE!!!
  2. Added moving up to level 2 of the NF diet as of this week - will focus on eating eggs and other proteins rather than processed carbs.  This shouldn't be hard since I prefer eggs to breakfast cereal and usually can find egg-based dishes even if going out to eat.

Hum.  Going slowly will have to wait until Wednesday since I already lifted today.  

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Score for week #1:  32/40, 80%, B.

To review, here are the four goals for this challenge:

• [sTR] Beginner bodyweight training, 3x weekly
  • [DEX] Yoga, 2x weekly
  • [sTA] Walking, 15 minutes, 4x daily
  • [CON] Adopt paleo diet (Asprey IF variant), 3200 kcal/day

Let's take each one separately:

[sTR] Beginner bodyweight training, 3x weekly:  2/3

I was unable to get an appointment with my trainer that first Monday, so training started on Wednesday and continued Friday.  That's two out of three points.

[DEX] Yoga, 2x weekly:  2/2

Yoga on Monday and Wednesday.  Two out of two.

[sTA] Walking, 15 minutes, 4x daily:  22/28

Making sure I walk 4x daily is actually harder than one would think.  It's rather easy to get absorbed in some task and not realize that hours have gone by.  I'll need to pay attention to this goal moving forward.

[CON] Adopt paleo diet (Asprey IF variant), 3200 kcal/day:  6/7

This goal is measured strictly by calorie limit, though I also tracked macro ratios and carb/protein consumption.  One day I went over the limit by 511 calories.  Otherwise, I stayed between 2400 and 2700 calories per day.

Total:  32/40 points, which is 80% and a solid B for the week.

Great updates everyone!! Keep up the awesome work!! Week 2 is definitely gonna be fabulous for all of us!  :highly_amused:

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Wow! everyone is doing so well, im proud of everyone!! Heehee! Well, TrevorTQH - this challenge isnt offical, per say, its more for fun :P Otherwise yes, dont worry, you get the fun stuff soon :D did my slo-mo sets today and buggered my leg, so i has to cut today at 2 sets vs 3. Otherwise, i posted a weekly update on my thread :D

keep up the pace, valient soldiers of the Rebel army! The rookies are doing amazing so far, kicking ass and really getting some edumacation, its a glory to watch xD

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Wow! everyone is doing so well, im proud of everyone!! Heehee! Well, TrevorTQH - this challenge isnt offical, per say, its more for fun :tongue: Otherwise yes, dont worry, you get the fun stuff soon :D did my slo-mo sets today and buggered my leg, so i has to cut today at 2 sets vs 3. Otherwise, i posted a weekly update on my thread :D

keep up the pace, valient soldiers of the Rebel army! The rookies are doing amazing so far, kicking ass and really getting some edumacation, its a glory to watch xD

The irony here is that my trainer is making me do all of my strength training exercises slow, specifically to focus on proper form and to help establish muscle memory.  So I'll fulfill the mini quest regardless...  ;-)

The irony here is that my trainer is making me do all of my strength training exercises slow, specifically to focus on proper form and to help establish muscle memory.  So I'll fulfill the mini quest regardless...  ;-)

I can relate - I do almost all my lifts in a very slow & controlled manner as well. It helps me focus on form & really reduces my risk of injury - so I'll knock out this mini-challenge this afternoon during my lifting workout  :joyous:

Thanks so much, Abtacha! And I'm very proud of you!!!

So how was the hangout? Or did you decide that you don't like each other and the group should separate :D

Congrats Snow!

And just because we're bragging...I lost 1.5 kg since the first!

Thank you, Genithos! :)

I think we learned from the hangout that getting video and quality of sound to sync over 3 continents might be trickier than we thought.

Big congrats to Snow and Abtacha... keep up the good work and keep em gone.

I am so proud of everyone! Keep the positive updates rolling in :D You're all fabulous. Happy to be fellow travelers on this journey :)

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

Seen as though everyone else did an update on the week I figured I will too :) I grade myself on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being rubbish and 5 being grrrreat!

For week 1:

• Smoothies 5x a week = 5
  • Strength train 3x a week and walk 4/5 days = 5
  • Stretch 10 mins a day = 4 (I missed 2 days)
  • Budget £15 for shopping = 0 (I paid £30 for the first shop)

This week is so far not going as well, I've already missed 2 days of stretching, have yet to go to the gym and have had only 1 smoothie so far. However, my shopping for this week was only £10, so yay :D

Going to work on both the ranger mini challenge and this one tomorrow :D

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

I had my mock practical exam today!! I really want to pass as that means less to work on for the real thing. So you all need to keep your fingers crossed for me mmkay?#

Did my 40 squats for the ranger challenge today Suuuuuper slow. Down for count of 4 and up for count of 4. My thighs are killing me!!

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Hey everyone! As far as the Mini-Challenge goes, I did my bench presses yesterday nice & slow - going down for a 3-4 count and back up for a 3-4 count. It was definitely awesome!!

I hope you all have a wonderful day!!

:highly_amused:

I had my mock practical exam today!! I really want to pass as that means less to work on for the real thing. So you all need to keep your fingers crossed for me mmkay?#

Did my 40 squats for the ranger challenge today Suuuuuper slow. Down for count of 4 and up for count of 4. My thighs are killing me!!

Squats are evil.  I can't imagine doing 40, let alone timed to a four count.  Hats off to you!

Damnit, there aren't nearly enough amusing squat gifs that aren't overly sexualized...

Point is - DO MOAR SQUATZ.

• Like 1

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Squats are good training both back and core. Maximum squats (no weights) in 10 minutes sounds like a good mini-challenge ^^

I think this 10-Minute Squat Challenge sounds awesome! 

Squat%20Meme.jpg

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines