Children of the Northlands!

Wednesday, January 15th:

I'm gonna be honest, it was a hard day. I cried most of Tuesday night....slept about an hour ... had a migraine that hurt so badly that I couldn't sleep until I put a cold washrag on my forehead and eyes, took three Ibuprofen and a melatonin. I woke up.... and... thought very.... dark and self-defeating thoughts. When I am distraught, I decide I'm not going to eat, drink, exercise, get anything done, etc... I slip back into really... self-denying habits and it's scary. I just want to curl up and hibernate.... but I turned it around, thanks to some kind words from and resolving a situation with someone I really care about. That was a positive. I also managed to be really productive.... here's my day:

Food:

3-4 oz meat and veggies from a 6 inch Subway sandwich my momma made me eat

5 oz of chicken and red pepper fajita stuffs

banana

4 glasses of water

tea

vitamins and supplements

I did:

went to class

ran errands

4 loads of laundry, including my bedding (can't wait to sleep in newly washed bedding tonight! always a good feeling)

cleaned my room, the bathroom and picked up around the house

made dinner

randomly picked out a recipe from Well Fed to make tomorrow (chocolate chili)

I hope to do some sets of squats, lunges, planks, wall sits and pushups and then a 15 minute yoga video when my dad's friend leaves... they're still sitting in the entertainment room... *growls* I hope to sleep well enough to run tomorrow.

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

Wednesday, January 15th:

I'm gonna be honest, it was a hard day. I cried most of Tuesday night....slept about an hour ... had a migraine that hurt so badly that I couldn't sleep until I put a cold washrag on my forehead and eyes, took three Ibuprofen and a melatonin. I woke up.... and... thought very.... dark and self-defeating thoughts. When I am distraught, I decide I'm not going to eat, drink, exercise, get anything done, etc... I slip back into really... self-denying habits and it's scary. I just want to curl up and hibernate.... but I turned it around, thanks to some kind words from and resolving a situation with someone I really care about. That was a positive. I also managed to be really productive.... here's my day:

Food:

banana

4 glasses of water

tea

vitamins and supplements

I did:

went to class

ran errands

4 loads of laundry, including my bedding (can't wait to sleep in newly washed bedding tonight! always a good feeling)

made dinner

I hope to do some sets of squats, lunges, planks, wall sits and pushups and then a 15 minute yoga video when my dad's friend leaves... they're still sitting in the entertainment room... *growls* I hope to sleep well enough to run tomorrow.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Unfortunately I know what you're talking about. That said, I'm impressed with what you've accomplished! I wouldn't have been able to do more than the most necessary tasks. Hope you'll feel better soon! *hugs*

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Wednesday, January 15th:

Food:

banana

4 glasses of water

tea

vitamins and supplements

I did:

went to class

ran errands

made dinner

I'm really sorry to hear that you had a rough day, Snow - but I'm proud of you for ending it on a positive note. Its WAY too easy for us to fall back into old coping mechanisms but you're doing a good job pushing through it! You were definitely productive & I hope your sleep last night with your clean sheets was fabulous! 

I'm sending you happy & healthy thoughts & hope your Thursday goes much better  :joyous:

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Ongoing Battle Log: My Quest for PRs and Endorphins

Wednesday, January 15th:

Food:

banana

4 glasses of water

tea

vitamins and supplements

I did:

went to class

ran errands

made dinner

Sucks that your day started out so bad. I get the having no interest in things and I think you did great actually getting yourself moving! It's amazing how sometimes having one positive can turn the day around :D Glad you finished on a high note :)

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Yeah... *hugs* I'm okay now. I'm just really overwhelmed with a lot of situations right now and something that should have been less of a deal feels like a huge heartache because I'm so weary from everything else.

That sounds bad Snowie, everything ok?? :/

*hugs back* Thanks so much, Abtacha! I appreciate it :)

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Unfortunately I know what you're talking about. That said, I'm impressed with what you've accomplished! I wouldn't have been able to do more than the most necessary tasks. Hope you'll feel better soon! *hugs*

Thank you so very much.... I appreciate all the thoughts <3

I'm really sorry to hear that you had a rough day, Snow - but I'm proud of you for ending it on a positive note. Its WAY too easy for us to fall back into old coping mechanisms but you're doing a good job pushing through it! You were definitely productive & I hope your sleep last night with your clean sheets was fabulous! 

I'm sending you happy & healthy thoughts & hope your Thursday goes much better  :joyous:

Thank you, missrebecca! It's partly because I knew that you guys would kick my butt if I didn't :P

Sucks that your day started out so bad. I get the having no interest in things and I think you did great actually getting yourself moving! It's amazing how sometimes having one positive can turn the day around :D Glad you finished on a high note :)

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

This is me checking in guys. I'm sorry, I feel as though I'm letting myself down because I've yet to get active in this group. I've had to catch up with things, because I had to go see my dad in the hospital this weekend (out of town), so now I can finally start stepping up, as far as nerd fitness goes. I meet my fitness goals daily, but I'm trying to figure out my eating regimen, something I wasn't focused on before, but I notice I get bloated or something at least once a week, then I will lose that double in weight by the end of week (im talking 4 pounds of bloat, then losing 8 total by the end of the week). I'm vegan, with celiac and a soy allergy, so I'm not thinking paleo, because that takes away my quinoa and rice... I'm going to see if I can find out what is bloating me by eliminating foods, because I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions?

FrankieCakes,

I know that there is a lot of interest in vegan and vegetarian paleo alternatives, and a quick Google search will bring up a number of them.

This one here appears to be a good overview in an FAQ style, and even has a link to Steve's beginner paleo article!  :-)

Best of luck in finding a good, balanced diet that meets your needs!

TrevorTQH

Trevor, the Quantified Heathen

Race: Man-Bear | Class: Heathen

Level: 2 | STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 1.75 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

Current Challenge | Previous Challenge

Battle Log:  NF or blog

This is me checking in guys. I'm sorry, I feel as though I'm letting myself down because I've yet to get active in this group. I've had to catch up with things, because I had to go see my dad in the hospital this weekend (out of town), so now I can finally start stepping up, as far as nerd fitness goes. I meet my fitness goals daily, but I'm trying to figure out my eating regimen, something I wasn't focused on before, but I notice I get bloated or something at least once a week, then I will lose that double in weight by the end of week (im talking 4 pounds of bloat, then losing 8 total by the end of the week). I'm vegan, with celiac and a soy allergy, so I'm not thinking paleo, because that takes away my quinoa and rice... I'm going to see if I can find out what is bloating me by eliminating foods, because I can't think of anything else. Any suggestions?

Hiya Frankie - I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I hope everything is okay

As far as your eating goes - maybe you and I can work together? I eat vegan about 80% of the time (I'm married to a carnivore so its REALLY difficult for me to go 100%) who has sensitivities to gluten & dairy. I'm also hypothyroid meaning I have to avoid soy. So it seems like both of us are in the same boat as far as foods go. Perhaps we can talk about your diet a little more & figure out what might be causing your bloat?

It could honestly be natural. I've noticed that I lose weight in "wooshes" sometimes as well. I'll see minor progress (like 1/2 a pound) and then I'll feel totally squishy & the next day I'm down like 3 pounds. Its totally weird but actually a normal occurrence. 

When you lose weight, you don't lose fat cells - they just get smaller. What happens is your fat cells lose their triglycerides and will temporarily fill with water before releasing the it - thus allowing the fat cells to shrink which is what gives that "woosh" experience. This is why some people feel squishy right before they drop a few pounds overnight. 

If you wanted to read some more about it - go here - that's an article written by Lyle McDonald who is very prominent in the bodybuilding & weight loss world. 

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Okay even though I posted this on my challenge and in my battle log here are two major things that happened THIS WEEK/TODAY.

OMG guys.... not only did I go through my workout twice yesterday, yes not much but twice, I did 150 inclined push-ups over a 4 or 5 hour period today at work!!!!   Next Friday, it is going to be all ABS!  I'm gonna DIE!!!!!

OMG --- I'm going out tonight, not a big deal.  I'm going to a bar where not only will an ex-boyfriend whom I still totally love will probably be, but the same bar where my almost rapist will probably be at too!!!  I am SOOOOOO freaking out.  BUT I know that I have to face both of the and show them that they don't have any power over me or my ability to have fun anymore in order to heal.   I just hope I can get through the evening without totally freaking out and actually have fun while I am there.

FrankieCakes sorry to hear about your dad, hope he'll do better soon. Have you tried an SCD type diet? Instead of eliminating foods, you start with three or four foods that you know are not giving you any trouble (Like carrots, squash and rice). After a couple days you add in one more food, eat it for three days and if you don't have any reactions to it you do the same with another one, and so on. Cause unfortunately sometimes we react to what we like the most and are very hard to convince that it's actually chocolate (for example) that causes the reaction and not the fifty other foods we've already eliminated. Hope that makes sense.

Mellissa you had a great workout day. Hope your night was a success and you enjoyed yourself!

- Abtacha -

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Weekly Update!

Since Youtube is STILL being a b**ch on my laptop, im writing again!

So, how'd I do?

• Goal 1 - Exercise.

Apart from the one i still have to do tonight, exercise is going fine. Finally started to hurt after workouts as well - not DOMS, just pain. 2 minor injuries this week, my elbow went "twing" one night when i was leaning on it and its in constant, annoying pain, and my hamstring went after i over did a lunge. Owies. Other than that, going well!

• Goal 2 - Writing.

This one didnt go so well, but that isnt entirely my fault. Michelle (the comic drawing girlfriend) hasnt finished her main comic book episode yet, the one that'll make the money, so im refusing to give her any more of my one until she does. So, i didnt do much writing this week, next week ill get stuck into it. Ive done the script for 2 issues so far, so that good, and Michelle did some concept art for the main character;

1526745_712125298811791_670129414_n.jpg

Pretty cool, huh? :D (PS - Shameless advertising time! This is the link to her page for more of the same awesome stuff :tongue:

• Goal 3 - Minimal.

Good god i have a lot of crap in my life.

In my room alone i've thrown out 8 black plastic bags and 4 storage boxes of sheer and utter rubbish i dont need. Yeesh. Now there is nothing under my bed, nor at the end of it. My floor is a mess of stuff to sorted, and i need to clean out my cupboard today as well. Next week I'll be cleaning out my clothes and sorting those too.

I've decided to go for the 100 Things Challenge as shown on ZenHabits. I think I can get everything I personally own down to 100  things, maybe less :tongue:

So overall, a pretty good week!

:D

- Lupus

(COTN Related Stuff: MELISSA! DETAILS! What happened? Fill us in plz :P  And FrankieCakes, like the others have said, sympathies my friend. And the SCD diets are lauded by people with the same, i guess, 'effects' as you. give it a try, it can do you no harm :) )

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Also, results of this weeks slow-mo challenge! How did we all do?? :D

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Also, results of this weeks slow-mo challenge! How did we all do?? :D

I specifically remember doing triceps yesterday at a painfully slow pace in order to focus on form.  So there's my entry.

I did my push-ups as slowly as I could. Ow! Form was better, reps were worse but that was to be expected.

- Abtacha -

- Saint Ausgustine -

Okay so UPDATE: 

Friday night was.... draining would be the best word I can think of.  I was at the bar for an hour and half alone, jumping every time someone walked in.  Then my ex-boyfriend showed up.  That part wasn't that bad.  The guy who raped me didn't show up.  :)  Then I came home and started crying.  I cried on and off for 4 hours.  I also spent that time talking to Red1263 and FalseAesop.  They convinced me that I should report it and I did.  I did that tonight with the help of a friend who was just there for moral support.  Tuesday I will be going in and getting the restraining order/order for protection just to make sure that once he finds out that I reported this he doesn't come back and do anything to me.

On a totally different note, today I did 150 straight leg leg raises, 150 crunches and 50 kneeling push-ups.  Tuesday - some how, some time - I am going to be doing 150 squats, 150 lunges on each leg, 50 kneeling push-ups, 50 straight leg leg raises and 50 crunches.

Hello everyone!! Here's my Official Week Two Update!!

Food was a little bit of a struggle - but I knew that was going to happen this week. It was my hubby's birthday so I had a planned cheat day this past weekend. I had some smaller indulgences throughout the week so overall I ended at a 64%. But, I'm not super upset about this. Before my indulgent weekend, I was down a total of 4 pounds from my starting weight, so I am seeing progress in the right direction. I will be doing official measurements, pictures & weigh-in next week for my official "halfway" progress, so I'm excited about that  :highly_amused:

Cardio workouts: I got 15 of my 14 miles in for a total of 107% accuracy on that one. I got in all my required miles plus 1 extra "make up" mile from the week prior. This one is definitely going well and I'm enjoying the extra movement for sure!    :highly_amused:

Lifting Workouts: I got 6 of 6 workouts in!!! YAY for 100%!!! I am still LOVING this program! I've seen upward progress on all my lifts and am feeling fabulous!! Today is a rest day, and I can't wait to start Week Three tomorrow!! The workouts are gonna be getting more intense this next week so I'm looking forward to the challenge!  :joyous:

Final Grade for Week One: 90.33% (average of all 3 below numbers)

Cardio = 15 of 14 done= 107%, Strength Training = 6 of 6 workouts done = 100%, Food = 3 of 7 days met = 64%

Overall - not too shabby. Even though nutrition was off - I still got an "A" for the whole week. I'm really glad I pushed myself to get all my workouts done - it definitely made a difference this week  :highly_amused: 

Now - starting this week, everything will be on point and I can't wait for my official weigh in next week!!! 

Score for Week #2:  37/40 points, which is 93%.  That's an A- (3.7 grade points)!

The second week of Challenge #1 has ended.  How did I do?

[sTR] Beginner bodyweight training, 3x weekly:  3/3

MWF, three out of three.

[DEX] Yoga, 2x weekly:  2/2

MW, two out of two.

[sTA] Walking, 15 minutes, 4x daily:  26/28

I missed a walk on two different days.  Good news here is that I'm ready to upgrade this goal to twice a day at 30 minutes starting with Week #3!

[CON] Adopt paleo diet (Asprey IF variant), 3200 kcal/day:  6/7

I went way over on Tuesday, but otherwise I kept to the goal.

Total:  37/40 points, which is 93%.

Two Week Stats Update

Weight:  365.4 lbs (roughly -17.3 lbs)
Neck:  18.2" (-2.2")
Chest:  58" (-0.9")
Waist:  58.8" (-1.4")
Hips:  48" (-2")
L Bicep:  14.2" (-0.4")
L Forearm:  12.9" (+0.9")
L Thigh:  25.9" (-1.6")
L Calf:  19.5" (-0.9")

Weight loss is "rough" because I'm using the gym scale for weekly weigh ins.  Formal weight is measured every six weeks as part of my body composition test.

The rate of change for each of the body measurements is about the same, with neck shrinking the fastest.  Left forearm actually grew, probably due to strength training.

It will be interesting to see how this looks in two more weeks.

It is quiet, you see this a lot coming into week 2 and 3 as people start to go "dear god what have i got myself into..." :P

New challenge time, ladies amd gents!

As per popular demand, its a Squats Time Trial!

You have 10 minutes to do as many squats as possible. As most of us should know, squats are amazing. They work lots of muscles at once - a compound exercise - and along with pullups, pushups and deadlifts they make some of the best simple movements you can do to maximise the work done on your muscles. So, 10 minutes, as many squats as possible. Try aim for around 1 squat/ 1.5 seconds (my slow-ish time :P )

As always, post results here!

On another note, im acting as quizmaster for the NF Trivia Bowl on Monday! Basically we run a trivia quiz on the chat channel #NFTrivia every Monday. Details here - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/41195-nerd-fitness-weekly-trivia-bowl-nftrivia/

- Marcus Aurelius

So what you're saying is... Squat Heaven? Heh... I'll do this on the weekend when I haven't just done a workout... see how many I can bust out.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines