Children of the Northlands!

I did my inclined push ups really slowly last week --- man my arms are STILL sore today.  :)

It is quiet, you see this a lot coming into week 2 and 3 as people start to go "dear god what have i got myself into..." :tongue:

New challenge time, ladies amd gents!

As per popular demand, its a Squats Time Trial!

You have 10 minutes to do as many squats as possible. As most of us should know, squats are amazing. They work lots of muscles at once - a compound exercise - and along with pullups, pushups and deadlifts they make some of the best simple movements you can do to maximise the work done on your muscles. So, 10 minutes, as many squats as possible. Try aim for around 1 squat/ 1.5 seconds (my slow-ish time :tongue: )

As always, post results here!

On another note, im acting as quizmaster for the NF Trivia Bowl on Monday! Basically we run a trivia quiz on the chat channel #NFTrivia every Monday. Details here - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/41195-nerd-fitness-weekly-trivia-bowl-nftrivia/

This is going to kill me!!!  LOL  I already am doing 150 lunges and squats and then going to be doing 50's for maintenance.  I will try to get this in on Saturday since that is the only day right now I don't have an exercise going on.....  can't wait to see how many I can do.  :) 

Feel like I've been a bit MIA lately, but I am still around and working towards my goals :)

Totally doing those squats. Going to have a go tonight in my room. Also, talking about squat challenges, have you heard of the challenge where you listen to Sally Up by Moby and every time it says Sally Down you go down into your squat and when they say Sally Up you go back up. You can do this with press ups, sit ups, all sorts.

This guy....well this guy just blows my mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAEz6vg3a8E

I don't know how to embed video *sigh*

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

LOL - today I was shoveling snow for my workout.  Definitely a child of the north!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

So I just managed a straight 300 bodyweight squats in 10 mins. Kinda annoyed cause I know I could do more, but as a first try I think its good :D not sure if I'll ever walk the same again mind xD

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

472 squats. With a wee 15 second break at 250.

My legs are jelly. Scuse me while i fill the bath with ice -.-

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

So I just managed a straight 300 bodyweight squats in 10 mins. Kinda annoyed cause I know I could do more, but as a first try I think its good :D not sure if I'll ever walk the same again mind xD

Very nice guys!! I'm gonna knock this out soon (probably over the weekend) I'd do it today, but its Leg Day at the gym....so I'm already gonna be waddling around post-workout  :playful:

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Ongoing Battle Log: My Quest for PRs and Endorphins

Just finished my workout after doing half what I should - its about 114F at 10pm. Too hot. Worried about plateauing. Should reread Steves article this week :P

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

My goal is 600... but I'll be happy if I hit 500.

Yes I want to drop them at a squat a second.

What of it?

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

I'm going to stick to my slow Kundalini Frogs and holding a squat posture for thirty seconds.  I'll try the squat routine a few more challenges from now.

It makes me hurt just reading about it!  ;-)

Trevor, the Quantified Heathen

Race: Man-Bear | Class: Heathen

Level: 2 | STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 1.75 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

Current Challenge | Previous Challenge

Battle Log:  NF or blog

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!   I did it!!!   I did my 150 body weight squats.  I didn't do the lunges or the other 50's - straight leg leg raises, crunches, and push-ups.  My right quad is KILLING me.  Tomorrow I get to do my "normal" workout.

I'm scared for this weekend and seeing how many squats I can do in 10 minutes.  I know that after 30 my legs are just killing me.

Wlargh...

So yesterday was PR day apparently. I did my highest ever OHP at 70 pounds (I'm weak, what do you want from me), and my highest Squat ever at 90. I only Deadlifted 145, and I've done 155, so I won't be PRing that until next Friday, but that's fine. I dropped my weights when I started Stronglifts in order to focus on progression.

With PRs come soreness though. My shoulders are a bit stiff and my thighs are... okay, but I can tell if I did any bodyweight stuff today they'd HATE me. I worry that I'll have to OHP 70 again on Monday, but we'll see. I knocked out all 5x5, but I struggled with the last set. Once I got that fifth press up there I held it for a few seconds just to force the muscles into submission.

Had a busy day so didn't get a chance to post any of this last night.

And I still need to figure out how to work this week's Ranger challenge into my routine. Bollocks.

I am doing the squat challenge either on Saturday or Sunday depending on how my legs feel after Friday's workout.

AHA! Ideas for Ranger challenge:

Do Body-Ups instead of dips.

Barbell Calf-Raises instead of Dumbbell ones (Kind of a cheat, but whatevs).

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Do Body-Ups instead of dips.

damn!!! those look BRUTAL!!! I'm gonna have to add those into my workout the next time I do tris!! EEP! 

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

damn!!! those look BRUTAL!!! I'm gonna have to add those into my workout the next time I do tris!! EEP! 

Right? I normally do 5x5 of bodyweight Dips (full ones at a station, rather than bench dips) - but those are starting to get easy...

...Which I just realized I was struggling to do them 3 months ago. Damn. Slight unintentional ego boost right there. Cool...

Anyway... Yeah doing 5x5 of Body Ups might be a nice change up for a bit before I buy a belt so I can add some weight to my dips.

Edit:

Per your sig... I think Sarah McLachlan's ASPCA commercials are everyone's kryptonite. At least everyone with a soul... and me (got rid of that years ago).

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Right? I normally do 5x5 of bodyweight Dips (full ones at a station, rather than bench dips) - but those are starting to get easy...

...Which I just realized I was struggling to do them 3 months ago. Damn. Slight unintentional ego boost right there. Cool...

Anyway... Yeah doing 5x5 of Body Ups might be a nice change up for a bit before I buy a belt so I can add some weight to my dips.

Edit:

Per your sig... I think Sarah McLachlan's ASPCA commercials are everyone's kryptonite. At least everyone with a soul... and me (got rid of that years ago).

Isn't it amazing how things we struggled with feel easy now?? I can totally understand that. 

I currently have Skull Crushers, Overhead Tri Extensions, Tricep Kickbacks, Overhead Tri Presses and Dips in my routines - so adding the Body Ups would just be a special kind of torture  :playful:

And yes - regardless of the current condition of my soul (its questionable at times), every time I see one of those ASPCA commercials I'm like:

shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

Isn't it amazing how things we struggled with feel easy now?? I can totally understand that. 

I currently have Skull Crushers, Overhead Tri Extensions, Tricep Kickbacks, Overhead Tri Presses and Dips in my routines - so adding the Body Ups would just be a special kind of torture  :playful:

Ooof - thar be a lot of tricep working in there. Good on ya. I just do dips. But my lifting routine looks like this currently:

Routine A

Warmup

Squats

Bench press

Bentover Row

Dips

Calf Raises

5 minutes of plank

Farmer's Walk

Yoga

Walk

Routine B

Warmup

Squats

OHP

Deadlift

Inverted Row (too easy, need to change it up)

Bicep Curl until the gym finally gets the kettlebells they promised in, then KB swings

5 minutes of plank

Farmer's Walk

Yoga

Walk

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Bicep Curl until the gym finally gets the kettlebells they promised in, then KB swings

THIS ^^^ drives me batsh*t crazy! This is why I just bought my own set of KBs to keep at home. 

You've got an awesome workout plan going there! Those farmer's walks are always fun!

To change things up, instead of the inverted rows, you can do pullups, upright barbell rows or rack chins (see pic)

3142494ef8308394af8b522a14b935e1.jpg

Like those Body Ups - Rack Chins are their own special kind of evil....

THIS ^^^ drives me batsh*t crazy! This is why I just bought my own set of KBs to keep at home. 

You've got an awesome workout plan going there! Those farmer's walks are always fun!

To change things up, instead of the inverted rows, you can do pullups, upright barbell rows or rack chins (see pic)

3142494ef8308394af8b522a14b935e1.jpg

Like those Body Ups - Rack Chins are their own special kind of evil....

yeah I was doing the Inverted Rows as progression to pull ups but I'm not sure I'm ready for them. Basically when I go into the gym on Monday, I'm going to do pull ups instead and see how I fare. I might need to transition with something like rack chins.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

yeah I was doing the Inverted Rows as progression to pull ups but I'm not sure I'm ready for them. Basically when I go into the gym on Monday, I'm going to do pull ups instead and see how I fare. I might need to transition with something like rack chins.

I can understand...I'm a weakling and need to do assisted pull-ups and inverted rows until I build my upper body strength some more. The rack chins add more difficulty because your feet aren't on the floor (so it makes you engage your core while you're doing it) - plus you can put plates on your abdomen & weigh yourself down a little more to make them harder

Inverted row is about 60% of your body weight.

So when they feel to light is time to switch over to Bent over row ( http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html ) with about 65% of your body weight. Then add 5 lbs every week.

I'm already doing Bent Over Rows on my A days. Slightly different muscle grouping.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines