Children of the Northlands!

*cue Arnold impression*

I'm going to pump you up.

Having been a "fat intellectual" all of my life, this whole culture has always been strangely foreign to me.  I think it really just now struck home how that's all changing.  I've always seen my body as nothing more than an ill-fitting meat suit to which I didn't pay much attention.  "Body awareness" is novel, and a bit disconcerting.

Trevor, the Quantified Heathen

Race: Man-Bear | Class: Heathen

Level: 2 | STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 1.75 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2

Current Challenge | Previous Challenge

Battle Log:  NF or blog

*cue Arnold impression*

I'm going to pump you up.

AND now all I have going through my head is Hans & Franz from SNL  :highly_amused:

40036918_384x288_generated.jpg

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Ongoing Battle Log: My Quest for PRs and Endorphins

Having been a "fat intellectual" all of my life, this whole culture has always been strangely foreign to me.  I think it really just now struck home how that's all changing.  I've always seen my body as nothing more than an ill-fitting meat suit to which I didn't pay much attention.  "Body awareness" is novel, and a bit disconcerting.

Same idea, opposite boat. I was always a "scrawny intellectual," until college, where the same mindset made me gain a ton of weight. It's interesting applying the same mental awareness I've practiced since I was 3 years old to a physical pursuit.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

Str: 10 | Dex: 10 | Stam: 8 | Con: 15 | Wis: 18 | Cha: 12

Battle Log || Current Challenge Log

Fitocracy | My Fitness Pal | Runkeeper

Twitter | Xbox Live: ravnos13 | PSN: CrawlingChaos13

Nintendo ID | Steam ID | Battle.net: ravnos#1547

I made my own.  10 bucks for a set of 2 45 pounds

Very nice! I found a set of KBs with a 5, 10, 15 and 20 for $60 at a local sports shop so I really couldn't pass that up. But I made my own medicine balls because they were WAY too expensive. Bought a basketball, cut it open, filled it with playground sand & sealed it with glue & duct tape. A regulation sized basketball when filled is a perfect 25 pounds (and the "kids" size balls are a perfect 10 lbs when filled)

ball_zps7b57ab1a.jpg

I also filled PVC pipes with sand to make squat bars that weigh about 15 pounds a piece that I use with my clients when I'm training. 

Its wonderful what we can make when we get crafty  :highly_amused:

• Like 2

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Very nice! I found a set of KBs with a 5, 10, 15 and 20 for $60 at a local sports shop so I really couldn't pass that up. But I made my own medicine balls because they were WAY too expensive. Bought a basketball, cut it open, filled it with playground sand & sealed it with glue & duct tape. A regulation sized basketball when filled is a perfect 25 pounds (and the "kids" size balls are a perfect 10 lbs when filled)

ball_zps7b57ab1a.jpg

I also filled PVC pipes with sand to make squat bars that weigh about 15 pounds a piece that I use with my clients when I'm training. 

Oh - that is totally so awesome!  Thanks for the ideas!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Oh - that is totally so awesome!  Thanks for the ideas!

You are very welcome! I've done lots of DIY fitness projects like that. The medicine balls are great! I wouldn't recommend them for things like floor slams because the seal can break - but they're great for weighted sit ups, twists and overhead presses  :joyous:

I think the whole project (the ball, sand & tape) cost me about $10 which in comparison to the $50+ that I found for them online, I thought it was a great savings

ball_zps7b57ab1a.jpg

I was going to make a tornado ball with the same principle.  I have 3 basketballs for that purpose.

I was going to make a tornado ball with the same principle.  I have 3 basketballs for that purpose.

Yeah they're totally awesome! I really love mine! It took me about an hour or so to make it, but it was totally worth it  :highly_amused:

I had to google tornado balls.  :redface: Turns out there is quite the following of people making their own exercise equipment.  Cool!!

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

This got aired yesterday in Sweden, a must see for pseudo-vikings: 

The words you hear is our national anthem, together with two of the most powerful Swedish brands right now: Volvo and Zlatan

Original verses:

1 Thou ancient, thou free, thou mountainous north 

Thou quiet, thou joyful [and] fair!

I greet thee, most beautiful land upon earth,

/:Thy sun, Thy sky, Thy meadows green.:/ 

2 Thou art enthroned upon memories of great olden days,

When honoured thy name flew across the earth,

I know that thou art and wilt remain what thou wast,

/:Yes, I want to live, I want to die in the north:/  

( In the commercial Zlatan says "I want to die in Sweden" instead of "the north" )

• Like 2

@Genithos:  That was simply gorgeous!

Car ads in particular are good indicators of how a people see themselves and what they value.  Painting with a broader, pan-Nordic brush, I saw a few of these values in play during my short stay in Oslo:  it was below freezing outside, yet families were out and about, being active.  On the bus ride to the ship burial museum, I saw lots of people out walking for its own sake, even as I was freezing my fat ass off.  Speaking of:  I felt like my girth and my discomfort screamed "American" more than anything else about me...  :redface-new:

Sweet!!  Reminded me of home (Duluth, Minnesota), where people are routinely out, walking along the shore of Lake Superior in all kinds of weather.  I definitely need to up my game - I'm feeling much too wimpy about the cold this winter - the southerners are rubbing off on me. 

Some sort of Jedi .....

Ok people, check in please! How did we all do on our challenges?

This is my round up -

• Goal 1 - Exercise.

I did badly this week. Not only did i completely plateau out and i really dont feel like I can move on next week,  i only did 2 out of 4 days. Bad Lupus - I missed one day because it was Australia Day (like our Independance Day) so that’s sorta excusable. Otherwise, I was just an idiot.

• Goal 2 - Writing.

Didnt do any this week, couldnt do any this week, because Michelle is still doing the other comics. I did proof read a script though, and spent a few hours thinking about things in a tree. Felt good to recentre myself.

• Goal 3 - Minimal.

Cleared out about 80% of my clothing, found some stuff i look good in and didnt know I had, so thats awesome :P

I had a pretty terrible week outside of NF goals as well, a lot of stressful and just bad stuff going on, but im still going :)

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment"

- Marcus Aurelius

Busy but good this past week. The full roundup of my goals is over on my challenge thread. I only fell a little short on one of them. Other than that... just pressing through January. I need to buckle down on work this week, because I've been slacking there all month and it's going to bite me on the ass if I'm not careful.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

I'll do my round up tonight when I'm on my PC after work. But this weeks looking to be better than last week:D

Just started a challenge at my gym to burn 5000 calories in 4 weeks (its a techno gym so it records all your work out on a key) worked out if I go 3 times a week I need to burn 417 calories each go and today I managed 418! My work out all be in my challenge when I can be bothered print screening from fitocracy :)

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Okay - here's my Week 3 Check-In!! I'm still going strong! I put updated measurements, progress pics & overall grades for the past week in my Challenge Thread - so feel free to swing by over there & check them out! 

Overall - I'm down 5 pounds and 8 inches overall (1.5 inches from my waist alone!) I personally think that my progress pics are showing some awesome changes! 

I ended this week at a 94% so this is my third week of ending at an "A" average so I'm totally stoked & can't wait to see what happens in the next 3 weeks!!  :highly_amused:

Honestly, I didn't have time to do the mini-challenge of 10 mins of squats. I was swamped this week (working full time, full time parent & wife, car is in the shop needing at least $1800 in repairs) and just couldn't get any more than my regular workouts done (lifting both days & at least 2 miles walking each day). I feel like a slacker on that front, but I just didn't want to risk over-exhausting myself considering my lifting workouts are getting longer & more intense

• Like 1

Oh yeah - the mini-challenge. With my knee bothering I didn't try. I might do it this week for fun though, if my knee is feeling better.

Level 5 Viking Berserker

This got aired yesterday in Sweden, a must see for pseudo-vikings: 

Okay - I have no clue who Zlatan is - so I had to Google him...but DAYUM! He's pretty  :highly_amused:

Thank you for sharing the Swedish eye candy  :playful:

Score for Week #3:  22/23 points, which is 96%.  That's an A (3.9 grade points)!

The third week of Challenge #1 has ended.  How did I do?

[sTR] Beginner bodyweight training, 3x weekly:  3/3

MWF, three out of three.

[DEX] Yoga, 2x weekly:  1/2

Monday only due to illness.

[sTA] Walking, 15 minutes, 4x daily:  11/14

Missed two due to illness, and then one due to laziness.  Max points reduced from 28 to 14 since goal has been changed to 2x 30 mins.

[CON] Adopt paleo diet (Asprey IF variant), 3200 kcal/day:  7/7

Stayed under all week.

Total:  22/26 points.

In order not to punish myself for being sick, I am deducting three points from the max to cover the missed yoga and walking.

Total:  22/23 points, which is 96%.

Weight:  361.6 lbs (-3.8 lbs)

Total Loss:  21.1 lbs

Here's a link to my week 3 recap

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42338-abtacha-enjoying-the-process/page-5#entry874437

Let's just say it was rather turbulent and I didn't have a clear enough head for doing the mini challenge although I would have had plenty of time.

Great job everyone! Halfway there!

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Okay, run down for week 3:

• Smoothies/protein shakes 5x a week = 3 (only had 3)
  • Strength train 3x a week & walk to uni 4/5 days = 3 (strength trained but didn't walk)
  • Stretch every day = 3 (managed 4/7 days)
  • Budget £15 a week = 5 (£9 shopping :D)

A very average week. I need to push myself a bit further this week :)

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Wow - we really have no clue in the US.  But the video was AWESOME!

Week 3 Report

1. Finish C25K training - finished week 5.  Getting a little tight on the schedule to finish on time, but I should be able to do it.
  2. Eliminate alcohol - 86% ( B! ) Actually, doing much better than I expected.
  3. Cook one healthy meal daily - 71% ( C ).  We're doing much better than we had for the past 4 months!! 
Life side quest:
  1. Listen to the Self-Esteem CDs  by Jack Canfield   DONE!!!
Fitness side quest:
  1. Join the Nerd Fitness Academy!!!! DONE!!!

I'm doing well, although I'll have to push myself to run today.  At the moment, I'm just kinda blah about it.

Some sort of Jedi .....

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines