Raptron's First Gymnastics Meet

raptron

I would probably die too, but I still would probably try it... Hiya! :D

Week's outline for personal reference...

Week 1 Game Plan:

Monday - Gymnastics + WOD

Tuesday - Strength training 

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Gymnastics + HIIT sprints

Friday - Strength training + Run

Saturday - Gymnastics + HIIT jumps + WOD 

Sunday - Strength training + Run + WOD

(Plus lots of extra sleep, probably. I haven't done a 6-day workout week in a while.)

Today's WOD is 7x3 leg lifts -- I'll be doing 4 sets of straight toes-to-bar leg lifts and 3 sets of straddle leg lifts at gymnastics tonight.

I need extra sleep just reading this!!!

subing for raptron epicness!

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Subbing to watch gymnastics awesomeness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

/waves Hey! 

Wow, you are going to be busy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very. I'm nervous about the state my house is going to be in by the end of the challenge.

I need extra sleep just reading this!!!

subing for raptron epicness!

Haha.Thanks!

That's quite the schedule! I thought mine was already pretty badass, but your weekend just blows me away :D

It is not as much as it looks like, I promise! Just a bit extra in addition to the gymnastics and the regular gym activities. :)

Day 1.1

Remember when I said I was going to focus on back tumbling today? Totallllyyyyy kidding. What I obviously meant to say was a solid 90 minutes of front tuck and front pike practice. There was a peer coaching thing going on with front tucks and pikes, so I just worked out with them instead of trying to conquer layouts on the TumblTrak. We found a problem with my hurdle into my front punches and I think I've got it mostly corrected -- was nailing front pikes at the end of the night. I still need to work on power on them to increase my height, but phew, I feel much better on them.

I did my token kips on bars and back tucks on floor as well -- I'm actually almost not paranoid when I do my round-off back handspring tucks across the floor rather than across the diagonal, which is great because it's much harder to find an opportunity to cross tumble. Hopefully I'll be able to find time on TumblTrak on Thursday to work on layouts! 

Also tons of straddle holds today, with hands both in front and behind the hips. 

Pretty good day!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Not sure I'm jealous that you can do front pikes and I can't or just relieved that I don't 'have to' practice them, haha. 

My quads are definitely questioning my choices from last night... Front pikes are actually not too bad of a progression from front tucks -- you just need a little more hip drive + flexibility. Front layouts, on the other hand, have an incredibly different take-off position and the open body slows your whole rotation down until you get used to the amount of heel drive you need to make it happen. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Ooooh gymnastics-y challenge stuffs!  Yayyy!  Are you trying to compete in all around or in a specific event?

You look to be doing great so far on this challenge! 

And holy cow swing diving.

I was going for all-around, but I've put very little time on bars and vault. Our vault is actually kind of scarily positioned in the gym: the landing area isn't super large and it is right next to a set of emergency exit doors... I also wouldn't have anything fancier than a front handspring 1/2 twist, which is just lame. As for bars, I haven't ordered grips yet... and I haven't done a giant in 12 years, so my routine would also be very rudimentary in February. 

I've got "order grips" on my to-do this for this week, so I'll hopefully be putting more time on bars in the duration of this challenge. 

I do want to compete all around at the NAIGC Nationals in April, but this meet in February will likely just be beam and floor. :)

Sure, easy peasy :tongue:

And that swing dive looks insane! I want to play!

It's an easy STEP from front tucks is all I said! Now learning a punch front tuck in the first place... ;)

Also, adding the gymnastics WOD to today because it's just 3x3 dips... hehe.

Raptron, alot assassin

Side Goal:

• Wake up 10 minutes early each day. 

I've got a serious issue trying to squeeze out the last minute of sleep even if I don't really need it. I just don't want to get out of bed. This is silly and I should stop.

but bed is comfy.

Thanks! 

EG! Hey! :) Hope the holidays treated you well. <3

So, I nabbed a bunch of pictures when I was home for Christmas and now we get to have #throwbackthursday

I'm in pink to the right of the Bela Karolyi. He's a total dick as a coach, but those results, yo. 

bRS7tiv.jpg

holyfuckraptron!!!!

you and bela!?!?!?!?! /endfangirl

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Who needs grips?  Don't you want rips the size of your entire hand? ;)

Haha, I actually never had grips as a kid -- I learned giants and releases without them and just absolutely refused to try them out. My coach didn't make me get them because I kept learning skills without them and would have to relearn with the grips. I'll be starting from the ground floor when I get those bad boys. 

That said, I do look forward to keeping the middles of my hands slightly safer from rips. ;)

but bed is comfy.

holyfuckraptron!!!!

you and bela!?!?!?!?! /endfangirl

Nightlight! Hi! <3 Bed is SO comfy. And yesssss, he did a like 2-day camp/training thing at our gym in '96 or '97. It was soooo cool. 

Day 1.2

One, how is it only Tuesday? This is going to be the longest work week ever, ugh. Secondly, gym is definitely getting crowded with resolutioners, even despite the cold. I wonder if it's going to be more crowded on warmer days. I might start going straight from work to the gym to try to beat the masses...

• Did a 1200 meter row warm-up, very grumpily. Stretched very grumpily. Waited around for a rack very grumpily.
  • Squatted much less grumpily. I'm pretty exhausted today and my lower body is mega-tired, so I just did work sets of 185# instead of trying 195#.
  • Benches were full (seriously? we have like 8), so I did OHP, which need more work anyway. I nailed 3x5 55# and THEN 3x5 at 60# when I could finally get a hold of some 2.5 lb baby plates. I am actually pretty pleased with that.
  • Again, because of tired ass + hips + legs (I'm thinking doing all those straddle holds with the crazy people who are having a who-can-learn-a-manna-first challenge yesterday was not the best idea...), I did a lower weight on my deadlifts, just doing 185# as my final set instead of trying any funny business.
  • Gymnastics WOD 3x3 of hanging bw dips -- should have been easier than they were...

This is a manna on floor btw:

Yeah, see? Craziness!

Raptron, alot assassin

I realized I didn't update for my other goals. I think I'll just do a summary at the end of each week for the sleep goal + the macro tracking.

Day 1.3

IT IS A REST DAY SO NOTHING GOES HERE, THANK GOD!

I do have a video though. This woman competed for many years in near-elite level women's gymnastics, but decided she wanted a new challenge and has started training with the men's team. This is her second season competing with the men's team. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

Haha, I actually never had grips as a kid -- I learned giants and releases without them and just absolutely refused to try them out.

No wayyyy! That's insanity hah. You must have hands of steel.

That video was awesome -- yay woman power! haha.

Great job with your goals so far :)

I realized I didn't update for my other goals. I think I'll just do a summary at the end of each week for the sleep goal + the macro tracking.

Day 1.3

I do have a video though. This woman competed for many years in near-elite level women's gymnastics, but decided she wanted a new challenge and has started training with the men's team. This is her second season competing with the men's team. :)

this was mesmerizing. i need to figure out when i can make it back up to boston.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Day 1.3

…cause women's gymnastics isn't challenging enough? Unreal!

If you can ever get a video of your front pikes, I'd be interested in seeing them. 

Race: Ferret | Class: Assassin | Level: 4 | STR: 6  DEX: 3  STA: 1  CON: 5  WIS: 7  CHA: 3

Battle Log | Challenges: 1, 2, 3

this was mesmerizing. i need to figure out when i can make it back up to boston.

!!! Yes! Come, come, come do gymnastics! 

It's awesome that she's doing mens' stuff now. I wonder what level women could reach if they were to train the same disciplines... 

I think women could do some cool shit on rings, pbars, and high bar especially. While high-to-low and low-to-high releases are really cool and all, the high bar just lets you break completely free and go as hard as you like without having to worry about the ever-present low bar.

In the other direction, I'd love to see what men could be capable of on balance beam. I understand the reasons it's not part of the male sport, but man, I feel like powerful dudes could get a LOT of height on the beam and pull off some amazing things. 

…cause women's gymnastics isn't challenging enough? Unreal!

If you can ever get a video of your front pikes, I'd be interested in seeing them. 

I get kind of shy about asking people to take videos because I'm not doing anything particularly cool in comparison to what everyone else is working on, but I'll see what I can do. 

Also, I guess I can also share the the one video I have right now. It is from when I had just relearned my back walkover on balance beam. Notice that I don't lift my front leg until the very last second because I was still not very confident with them. They look much better now, I promise. 

whoopdeedoo.

Gymnastics tonight. I am also sadly in the shoulder injury club. It's not bad right now, but it twinges horribly during handstands and when I am pulling on skinny jeans... We'll see how it feels tonight. If it's in a bad place, I'll be focusing mostly on jump drills, leaps, jumps + turns on beam, aerial cartwheel work and standing back tucks (two things I haven't worked on in a long time because they won't be part of my meet routines). 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

I would probably die too, but I still would probably try it... Hiya! :D

Week's outline for personal reference...

Week 1 Game Plan:

Monday - Gymnastics + WOD

Tuesday - Strength training 

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday - Gymnastics + HIIT sprints

Friday - Strength training + Run

Saturday - Gymnastics + HIIT jumps + WOD 

Sunday - Strength training + Run + WOD

(Plus lots of extra sleep, probably. I haven't done a 6-day workout week in a while.)

Today's WOD is 7x3 leg lifts -- I'll be doing 4 sets of straight toes-to-bar leg lifts and 3 sets of straddle leg lifts at gymnastics tonight.

You're trying to compete with Cheechoe and Ska about multi-workout days, aren't you?

Day 1.3

1) Video was cool.

2) Shouldn't you're Day 1.3 update read:  "I was lame and didn't run Stairs with RisenPhoenix and Ska this morning, so it was a rest day"?

:P

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Also, I guess I can also share the the one video I have right now. It is from when I had just relearned my back walkover on balance beam. Notice that I don't lift my front leg until the very last second because I was still not very confident with them. They look much better now, I promise. 

whoopdeedoo.

Gymnastics tonight. I am also sadly in the shoulder injury club. It's not bad right now, but it twinges horribly during handstands and when I am pulling on skinny jeans... We'll see how it feels tonight. If it's in a bad place, I'll be focusing mostly on jump drills, leaps, jumps + turns on beam, aerial cartwheel work and standing back tucks (two things I haven't worked on in a long time because they won't be part of my meet routines). 

Two things.

1.  "whoopdeedoo" nothing.  I'd fall and break my face if I ever tried to do that.

2.  I love that the two times your shoulder hurts is when either doing handstands or pulling on skinny jeans.  Ah, the price we pay for fashion... ;)  Hope the shoulder heels up soon.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

The video of that woman is very inspiring! Ooohh the posibilities, right?

And yours looked pretty steady too, if that was a while ago i'm curious where you're at! 

Oh and haha, sounded like you needed a restday- hope you enjoyed it ;)

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

You're trying to compete with Cheechoe and Ska about multi-workout days, aren't you?

1) Video was cool.

2) Shouldn't you're Day 1.3 update read:  "I was lame and didn't run Stairs with RisenPhoenix and Ska this morning, so it was a rest day"?

:tongue:

Naaah! The sprints and WOD are short add-ons, not fully fledged second workouts. And while I was lame, I totally needed the rest day. When I got home from work, I made dinner and fell asleep by 8:30 PM. It was supposed to be a nap, but I didn't wake up until Mike got in bed, so I just continued sleeping. I think my body appreciated my "lame" rest day. ;)

Two things.

1.  "whoopdeedoo" nothing.  I'd fall and break my face if I ever tried to do that.

2.  I love that the two times your shoulder hurts is when either doing handstands or pulling on skinny jeans.  Ah, the price we pay for fashion... ;)  Hope the shoulder heels up soon.

And hey, those were just the first two things that came to mind! It wasn't bothering me while lifting at least. 

The video of that woman is very inspiring! Ooohh the posibilities, right?

And yours looked pretty steady too, if that was a while ago i'm curious where you're at! 

Oh and haha, sounded like you needed a restday- hope you enjoyed it ;)

It was steady, but not pretty. They're just prettier now, with a more dynamic split. :)

Also #throwbackthursday! Celebrating many years of upside-downness. 

6f92G.png

Raptron, alot assassin

Day 1.4

Gymnastics was... eh. Shoulder was tweaky. Left side of my back is tweaky. One of my quad muscles in my right leg was extra tweaky. I'm pushing back my HIIT sprint session to tomorrow. Aerials and standing back tucks bothered my quad tweak too much. I mostly focused on...

• Front handspring front tucks, front handspring front pikes onto the resi mat, round off back handspring tucks, round off back handspring open tucks (in prep for layouts), and round-off back tucks (which I just relearned today and felt silly about not doing before) on floor
  • Split leaps and switch split leaps
  • Handstands and one armed handstands against the wall 
  • Kips, front hip circles, back hip circles, tap swings on bars

I don't know. I feel like I spent a lot of time standing around trying to figure out what to work on without aggravating anything. I am super paranoid about tumbling on the TT, so I think I'll just try to relearn my layout on the floor instead. My punch fronts were garbage and the beams were all full today. 

/shrug 

At least I did some conditioning?

Raptron, alot assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines