Nymeria soaks in the bacta tank - (ACL reconstruction and rehab log)

Yesterday, I was feeling pretty depressed about everything. I need to be careful about hanging out on the assassin board. If I'm not feeling somewhat positive before reading everyone else's challenges threads, seeing everyone else doing cool things and having fun just makes me feel worse.

I'm feeling quite a bit better today, after my physical therapy session. It really helped that a couple other people at the PT center were rehabbing from ACL surgery. I know rehab rates may vary, but at least I got a glimpse into how I'll be doing at 3 weeks and 2 months post op.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

PT included:

-my normal exercises,

-the therapist flexing my leg well past the point of horrible pain,

-10 minutes of an iso quad exercise where electrical stimulus was also added

-10 minutes on a stationary bike at low tension. For the first 8 minutes, I was just rocking the pedals forward and backward, but after things loosened up a bit, I could manage enough knee ROM to cycle normally. It hurt quite a bit, but not as much as the therapist manipulations

-15 minutes with an ice and pressure cuff on the leg.

I was frustrated that the ROM exercises didn't seem to be doing much, but when the therapist measured, I was at 97 degrees flexion vs. 79 degrees 6 days ago. So, I am making progress.

Surgery is in a week. I'm feeling somewhat optimistic that I'll be walking and feeling much better about a week after surgery.

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yesterday, I was feeling pretty depressed about everything. I need to be careful about hanging out on the assassin board. If I'm not feeling somewhat positive before reading everyone else's challenges threads, seeing everyone else doing cool things and having fun just makes me feel worse.

I'm feeling quite a bit better today, after my physical therapy session. It really helped that a couple other people at the PT center were rehabbing from ACL surgery. I know rehab rates may vary, but at least I got a glimpse into how I'll be doing at 3 weeks and 2 months post op.

Agh, don't read the boards if they make you unhappy! You are doing what's right for your body right this minute, even if it sucks.

I was frustrated that the ROM exercises didn't seem to be doing much, but when the therapist measured, I was at 97 degrees flexion vs. 79 degrees 6 days ago. So, I am making progress.

Surgery is in a week. I'm feeling somewhat optimistic that I'll be walking and feeling much better about a week after surgery.

Hey, that's definite progress! PT sounds painful - go you for pushing through and increasing that ROM. You can do this.

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Hey Nymeria!  Thanks so much for inviting me to tag along your surgery/rehab journey.  I totally get the depressed thing.  I can't go and watch any of my team's basketball games because they make me so sad.

From reading some of the previous posts it looks like I can expect some pretty serious scar tissue.  Though the MRI didn't indicate any arthritis so far.

My story is a long and depressing one, basically starting over 3 years ago.  I won't hijack your thread with it, but suffice it to say I am very happy you got to see an ortho and get an MRI so quickly.  I was stuck with a GP who didn't figure anything serious was wrong and loads of physio, which did help.  But I'd get cleared to play, and then reinjure, go back to physio, repeat cycle.  I've finally been referred to an ortho surgeon, but have been told that will take at least 8 months before I meet him.

I'll be following along to see what your experiences are like.  

*A hooded figure appears slowly*

Dearest Nymeria, be not saddened by you not being able to move beside us. You are an important part in all our challenges, and your injury is carried by all of us. We are the Brotherhood, and you are a key member. I hope, so do all of us, that you will join us soon again and urge you not to overpush yourself. Nevertheless i'm happy to see you rest and progress. Rest well.

*the assassin moves away, leaving an eagle feather behind on the table*

Level 10 Bleu Gardien Assassin of the Lanomia Clan

Buddhist, Traceur, Martial Artist, Assassin, Templar

Strenght: 22 Constitution: 9 Dexterity: 4 Wisdom: 12 Stamina: 11 Charisma: 5
- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

Hi, Nym!  I didn't post much last challenge, but kept up on your thread.  I was really bummed to hear of your injury.  Not cool and I understand your disappointment.

Way to keep up with as much as you can before surgery, even when it's hard!

quietmuse, level 4 fledgling assassin

STR 9 | DEX 7.5 | STA 10.5 | CON 5 | WIS 4 | CHA 4

My Blog

Challenge 4 | 3 |2 | 1

(archived)

Handstand PvP

I wish NF had a dedicated rehab board, so it would be easier to find people who are going through similar injuries.

Good idea. Maybe ask about it

I bet there would be enough people across the different guilds to form a pretty substantial rehab group. That is a really good idea! Maybe it's even it's own guild - like, the Healers. And goals and quests could be related to the specific challenges of rehabbing an injury. I feel like that's a time when you need support the most from people who are going through it. It could be really helpful to people and keep them in the ring, so to speak.

• Like 1

Wood Elf Assassin

-------------------------------------

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

LVL 2 | STR 3 | DEX 7 | STA 5 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

"It goes, boys."  - Lynn Hill

I've been through the rehab rounds before, though mine was for my back. Honestly, some days just really suck (like you mentioned for yesterday) and you've been doing amazingly from what I've seen. A lot of people I met along the way got a lot more down about it. The attitude you have (which is amazing) will get you further along, quicker than people who are negative. You are listening to your body and making the appropriate adjustments. 

I wish though that we could all come and give you a big hug. 

It will get better, some days you'll feel like nothing has changed but you are gradually making progress, even if you can't see it. *huge hugs* 

Lvl. 10 Half-Elf Assassin

My Current Challenge

My Daily Battle Log

T-6 days until surgery. *twiddles thumbs a bit*. *does PT exercises*. *checks calendar again*. Still 6 days. Damn.

Since I'm uncomfortable with any velocity on pull up descents, I'm now doing one morning set and one evening set of 1x each neutral grip, pull up grip and chin up grip of one dead hang pull up into a 10 second flex hang into a 10 second slow negative. I'm also doing 4x 45 seconds hollow holds. I feel like I could be doing more, but it just isn't happening. I'd love to incorporate some sort of push exercise, but I can't afford to crap out those muscles when I still need to be stable and strong on crutches.

I've been playing through AC4 to alleviate some of the boredom and frustration, but one thing perplexes me. Why is a dude who is strong enough to cling to tiny ledges with his pinkie finger incapable of climbing up cliffs that are loaded with features and would at best be 5.8 routes? It just drives me crazy.

My tutorials:

I've been playing through AC4 to alleviate some of the boredom and frustration, but one thing perplexes me. Why is a dude who is strong enough to cling to tiny ledges with his pinkie finger incapable of climbing up cliffs that are loaded with features and would at best be 5.8 routes? It just drives me crazy.

*walks in casually and throws off his hood*

i'm glad to see you're doing better Nym ^^

as for that in AC4, it's the same perplextion I had with the Mentor Ezio Auditore in AC Brotherhood. He was capable of climbing to the top of the papal palace but not the simplest tree :) is suppose just a limite in what the programmers are able to code and fit on a disc ^^ nevertheless i find AV4 to be so awesome i overlook that. I'm enjoying the game very much, what about you? :)

- My Epic Quest: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/28629-an-assassins-epic-quest/
- My Tenth-th Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56054-cobaltswords-journey-chapter-10/

- Daily Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51677-cobaltswords-journey/

"The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle" - "Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

*walks in casually and throws off his hood*

i'm glad to see you're doing better Nym ^^

as for that in AC4, it's the same perplextion I had with the Mentor Ezio Auditore in AC Brotherhood. He was capable of climbing to the top of the papal palace but not the simplest tree :) is suppose just a limite in what the programmers are able to code and fit on a disc ^^ nevertheless i find AV4 to be so awesome i overlook that. I'm enjoying the game very much, what about you? :)

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, especially since I get to be a pirate. ;) I'm maybe halfway finished. Both my husband and I are playing the game, and it's interesting that we can both succeed with very different styles. I'm really good with anything involving stealth or anything where I can be a sniper, whereas I'm weak with the direct fighting and naval battles. My husband is the exact opposite.

But I still often am yelling "climb the @&!#*% tree/rock/whatever at the system. It just drives me crazy.

My tutorials:

T-5 days. At least I have football this weekend to distract myself. I seemed to have a bad ROM workout this morning, but my quads seem to have some DOMS and tightness from the PT session on Thursday.

Goals for the next 5 days:

-keep up with pull-ups and hollow holds

-be 100% compliant with my PT

-don't get fat. Since I don't have much control over the menu, I'm instead being strict with portion sizes.

-stay sane

My tutorials:

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, especially since I get to be a pirate. ;) I'm maybe halfway finished. Both my husband and I are playing the game, and it's interesting that we can both succeed with very different styles. I'm really good with anything involving stealth or anything where I can be a sniper, whereas I'm weak with the direct fighting and naval battles. My husband is the exact opposite.

But I still often am yelling "climb the @&!#*% tree/rock/whatever at the system. It just drives me crazy.

aye, being a pirate is a very welcoming change in a game :) i'm still far from done but i'm enjyoing it very much, there's so much to do. And i love how they've integrated some popular systems from Far Cry 3 into AC4 as well :D I myself prefer the stealthy way to go and killing as few people as possible (following the creed: precept 2 => You will stay your blade from the innocent) but i'm getting better at the naval battles (i was horrible in AC3 but AC4's systems are better) and i'm getting the hang of full blown confrontation ^^ (too used to the combat system of before AC3). I'm enjoying the game very very much :D

my girlfriend tends to watch me play because she finds the storyline intriging; but she's more for FPS games :)

Interesting that your PT measured a difference even though you didn't see it yourself. Sounds like you're handling all this like a real champ Nymeria- and don't worry, I (we?) totally get it that you're not really happy when dropping by the challenge boards. 

This morning I read a story of a girl who had a torn ACL but didn't find out about it for a couple months.. I'm really glad you're on top of things. 5 more days.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I myself prefer the stealthy way to go and killing as few people as possible (following the creed: precept 2 => You will stay your blade from the innocent)

I'm not sure what it says about me as a person, but I love hiding in the bushes, shooting my assassination targets with berserk darts, and then watching that target get cut down by his own bodyguards. ;).

4 more long days. I really didn't feel very motivated to do my morning PT work, but I forced myself to do it anyway. At least I'm able to be reasonably disciplined about these things.

My tutorials:

I'm not sure what it says about me as a person, but I love hiding in the bushes, shooting my assassination targets with berserk darts, and then watching that target get cut down by his own bodyguards. ;).

I'm the same, though my experience with that sort of thing is in Dishonoured, where it's a little less satisfying, the guy just staggers about swinging his sword wildly for a couple of seconds, and if no one else is near he just falls down. I don't remember there being berserk darts in the earlier AC games and I haven't made it to the later ones yet. Though I don't know what it says about me that my favourite is to stalk them and stealth kill with the hidden blade, right in the throat. There's just something so satisfying about that...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

4 more long days. I really didn't feel very motivated to do my morning PT work, but I forced myself to do it anyway. At least I'm able to be reasonably disciplined about these things.

no worries, I enjoy doing that too. I shoot the brutes with berserk darts and let the rest take care of it ^^ different ways of playing, that's the whole idea about AC :D

you'll get there Nym ^^ rest and you'll soon be with us again :D

Looks like I've missed a lot, but it seems you're still making the most of your abilities. I hope the next few days go by quickly!

The last 3 weeks have been incredibly hard. I really hate being on crutches, and I'm going to be on them for at least another 3 weeks. And for the next 6 months, I'll be very limited in what I'm allowed to do.

I'm also afraid that I've lost my nerve for a lot of fitness activities, since I really feel like I need to avoid any chance of injury at least until both kids are in full day school and much more independent. If I didn't have kids, I could probably cope with sitting around on the couch, playing video games, and reading a lot. Not being able to take care of my kids has been awful. :(

At least after the surgery, I'll be on the path toward healing and full recovery. 3 more days.

My tutorials:

The last 3 weeks have been incredibly hard. I really hate being on crutches, and I'm going to be on them for at least another 3 weeks. And for the next 6 months, I'll be very limited in what I'm allowed to do.

I'm also afraid that I've lost my nerve for a lot of fitness activities, since I really feel like I need to avoid any chance of injury at least until both kids are in full day school and much more independent. If I didn't have kids, I could probably cope with sitting around on the couch, playing video games, and reading a lot. Not being able to take care of my kids has been awful. :(

At least after the surgery, I'll be on the path toward healing and full recovery. 3 more days.

I'm struggling with fear as well. For a couple weeks, I wasn't really able to use my right hand at all. There was a lot I had taken for granted, and I felt rather useless. We ate a lot of convenience food, and I generally felt like crap. I debated whether this was all worth it, because I never actually felt the moment where I must have hurt myself. If I could do this without realizing it, how much worse could it have been? My wrist could have given out in a handstand while I was home alone with my daughter. I've found myself being much more cautious, and I'm certainly more careful what I do without my husband home.

I'm sorry you're still in that phase where you can't do a lot of things physically, but I know your family is just happy you are okay. As for spending time with your kids, do they like when you read aloud to them? My son still loves it, especially when I do voices. One of the things I found to occupy my time was DnD. My husband brought home some books from a nerdy store near his work, and we've been playing online with a couple of groups. We have to play after 9pm so that the kids are asleep, but people have been very understanding. We found our groups here, if you're into that sort of thing. It's been a nice way to detach from everything that's gone on, and have fun.

I haven't got anything constructive to say.. it's very understandable that you both feel fear- you've definitely got the right priorities. I do hope that you'll be able to find a balance- still looking for limits while keeping all this in mind. Actually I'm sure you will! 

Both of you have been the most inspiring to me here at nf- it sucks to see you two struggle with all of this... but you remain very inspiring and if (when?) I do get hurt I'll be even more grateful that you shared this process.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Hi Nymeria,

I just read through your post and I am confidant that you will recover and come back stronger than ever. I'm a large guy (290 lbs) and I tore my ACL, tweaked my MCL, and had a slightly torn meniscus due to a football injury. I had never been injured or on crutches so I was just pissed all the time. I done rehab before surgery and was actually able to walk with a knee brace before I went to have surgery. After surgery all my mobility left and my leg felt like dead weight, the range of motion was non existent.

I went through a whole summer of rehab and although it was tough I wouldn't have changed a thing. I was patient because I knew that if I pushed too hard I'd mess it back up. I laid in bed for hours, I hated it. I had machine that bent my knee for hours to get my flexibility back, I hated that thing too. I passed the time by reading and watching TV. I was finally able to walk about 2 months after surgery, since you are smaller than me I don't think it will be that long for you.

I wasn't able to play football the following season but I did the season after and my knee has never felt better. I rarely have knee pain when I used to have it on a daily basis. My advice to you is to take it easy and everything will be alright  :)

Wake up, lift, eat, sleep and repeat                                                                                             

STR 9 | DEX 3| STA 5.5 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 1.5

http://www.fitnessjourneywithwill.com

If you find a solution for the fear, please let me know.  There are things I think twice about before attempting, and even then, sometimes I'm scared.  Then there's things I just don't do right now, even though I might be able to, I don't think I can.

BigWill: thanks so much for the encouragement! I feel pretty confident that I'll eventually feel great. It is just going to be a very long process. And it's hard to feel upbeat when I'm on crutches.

The quad shutdown is especially awful. I tried tensing the quads on both of my legs, just to compare them. My left one (un-injured) is rock hard. My right one is already soft and weak. I'm really dreading the full shutdown after surgery.

MasterOfCows: sadly, I've heard that the main reason ACL repairs "fail" is that while the knee becomes physically fine, the person doesn't manage to get over the mental blocks about actually using that knee. I don't really have good answers about regaining confidence, since I haven't been through the process. Hopefully, the physical therapy drills I'll be doing from 3-6 months post-op will help. I've been considering buying a sports brace for when I'm cleared for hiking and climbing, but I'm afraid it will prevent me from ever feeling fully confident.

My tutorials:

I've been thinking lately that this mental block thing may be a reason that so many women who had C-sections never get rid of their "pouches" - it's really scary to put stress on something that has been damaged like that. I know it has been scary for me to do ab work. But I have faith in you, and here's why: as a climber, you have had to get over a lot of fear, and your mental game is necessarily pretty high. So I'm willing to bet you can figure out this fear as well. 

You're doing a great job hanging in there. 

Wood Elf Assassin

-------------------------------------

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

LVL 2 | STR 3 | DEX 7 | STA 5 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

"It goes, boys."  - Lynn Hill