The university gym / weight room was closed throughout the holidays and opened again today!

Stronglifts 5x5

(Workout A)

• Squats: 55 lbs
  • Benchpress: 55 lbs
  • Barbell Row: 45 lbs (just the bar because I've never done that exercise before and I wanted to make sure I was doing it right)

The 5x5 means five sets of five reps for each exercise. 1 minute rest between sets. Did a warm up set for each exercise with just the bar, and cooled off at the end with a few minutes of cycling. I should be able to add 5 lbs to each exercise next time. It's nice to get a good workout done in only about 35 minutes!

Diet

Also I've been thinking about how I should be apportioning macronutrients, and realized that I have no idea what proportions of protein/fat/carbs I currently eat. So: eating journal! I hate counting calories but this should give me an overview of my eating trends. 

• Breakfast: cup of oatmeal with brown sugar, granny smith apple, earl grey tea
  • Lunch/snacks: can of sweet peas, one clementime, seeded grapes, crackers with cheese, gingerbread cookie, water
  • Dinner: 2.5 slices pizza with sausage and pineapple, water. Enjoyed this because it's going to be my last pizza for a while!

I calculated that my BMR is 1460 calories for my current weight, and am adding 250 for mass gain (not trying to "bulk") for a total of 1760 calories per day. That is a lot lower than I was thinking it would be for "moderate exercise" (lifting 3x/week).

• Protein: 560 calories, 140g (32.7%)
  • Fat: 513 calories, 57g (30%)
  • Carbs: 637 calories, 160g (37.3%)

I've never "built a diet" before so my next challenge is to evaluate my shopping list and figure out how to actually achieve this.

Half-Elf Ranger

"new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." - Samwise Gamgee 

* Level 2 | STR 4 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 1.5 | CHA 0.75 *

Intro Post | Current Challenge: (#32) Past Challenges: (#31)| Battle Log @eslee_

I'll just label today as "the embarrassing day of carbs".

Breakfast: three eggs, grapes, coffee

Mid-mornng snack: granny smith apple

Lunch: two pepperoni hot pockets (several hours apart, out of desperation--I brought a bag of steamfresh peas for lunch but it had gone bad)

Dinner: large salad, lasagna, water

On the bright side I got to the grocery store today and bought all the vegetables! Hopefully not as much dietary stumbling in the future. 

Half-Elf Ranger

"new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." - Samwise Gamgee 

Intro Post | Current Challenge: (#32) Past Challenges: (#31)| Battle Log @eslee_

Stronglifts 5x5: Workout B

• Squats: 60 lb
  • Overhead Press: 45 lb
  • Deadift: 95 lb (1x5 with 1 warmup set of 95 lb)

I love deadlifting! I makes me feel like a beast. Rawr!

Diet:

• Late Breakfast (post workout): three eggs + 1/2 roma tomato + 1/2 small avocado, 5 blackberries, 1 cup soy milk, coffee
  • Early Dinner: large salad with ceasar dressing and lasagna, water
  • Evening snack: 1 scoop whey protein in 1 cup soy milk, carrots, plain popcorn

Looking at my macros, I actually achieved ~28% protein, ~42% fat, and ~28% carbs today. Looks like I need to try to slightly decrease carbs to bump up the protein and fat, but it's good to know I wasn't crazy off the mark.

Half-Elf Ranger

Diet

• Late Breakfast: 3 eggs, roma tomato, avocado, blackberries, coffee
  • Snack: crackers with cheese, pickled okra
  • Dinner: blackforest ham, sauteed brussel sprouts with garlic, baked potato (with sour cream and cheese), dinner rolls, water

Half-Elf Ranger

Stronglifts 5x5: Workout A

• Squats: 65 lb
  • Benchpress: 60 lb
  • Barbell Row: 55 lb

Diet

• Breakfast (post workout): oatmeal, whey protein in soy milk, tea (Earl Grey, hot)
  • Lunch: ham, lots of assorted veggies (carrots, tomato, celery, pepper), donut and small brownie (fail), water
  • Snack: chai tea latte
  • Dinner: Lasanga, water

I forgot to mention in my previous diet posts that I'm also taking a daily supplement of omega-3 FA (Nutrigold Triple Strength Fish Oil) and a women's multivitamin (that I will probably drop once I'm satisfied with my dietary habits).

Ugh too many grain!carbs. *slaps self* It's going to be a long process, weaning off of grains...

On a positive note, my first day of my challenge was successfully completed! Fulfilled all daily mini-goals. :)

Half-Elf Ranger

Diet:

Breakfast: Grapenuts ceral with soy milk,(1.5 hr later:) sausage/egg/cheese burrito, 2 small donut holes, coffee

Snack: a few baby carrots, water

Lunch/Dinner: subway foot-long Italian on white bread with alltheveggies! water

Odd eating schedule today due to performing surgeries.

Half-Elf Ranger

Stronglifts 5x5: Workout B

• Squats: 65 lb
  • Overhead Press: 50 lb (3 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 3)
  • Deadlift: 70 lb

Diet:

• Breakfast (post workout): oatmeal, soy milk with protein, Earl Grey tea
  • Snack: apple, water
  • Lunch: Strawberres, Steamfresh veggie bag, water
  • Dinner: Red Baron Supreme Pizza, water

Half-Elf Ranger

(For 1/9/14)

Diet

• Breakfast: cereal with soy mil, chai tea latte
  • Snacks/Lunch: strawberries, raspberries, carrots, apple
  • Dinner: hot pocket, crackers and cheese
  • Dessert: 2 small chocolates 

Half-Elf Ranger

Stronglifts 5x5: Workout A

• Squats: 65 lb (repeated Wednesday's weight because I strained my back Tuesday and am being cautious)
  • Benchpress: 65 lb (couldn't complete the last rep. Was sooo close! Good thing I had a spotter.)
  • Barbell Row: 55 lb. Tried to bump to 60 lb but couldn't pull it with the correct form. So far this is the hardest exercise for me. 

Diet:

• Breakfast: three eggs, half a small avocado, raspberries, chai tea latte
  • Lunch: (Blue Baker) Caprese sandwhich and tomato&basil soup, water
  • Post-workout: soy milk and whey protein

Half-Elf Ranger

Diet: (1/11/14)

• Breakfast: Eggs, ham, hash browns, orange juice, coffee
  • Snack: sausage with cheese
  • Dinner: Mongolian BBQ with lots of veggies and some pulled pork
  • Second dinner: 2 slices deep dish pizza :(

Half-Elf Ranger

Diet:

• Late breakfast: cereal with cow milk
  • Snack: carrots, tea
  • Dinner: chicken, baked sweet potato, sauteed brussle sprouts with garlic

Half-Elf Ranger

Stronglifts 5x5: Workout B

• Squats: 70 lb
  • Overhead Press (lb): 45x5, 50x4, 45x5, 50x4, 50x4 
  • Deadlift: 80 lb

Diet:

• Breakfast: three eggs, strawberries. coffee
  • Pre-surgery snack: carrot
  • Lunch: romaine lettuce, tomato, and avocado with ceasar dressing, water
  • Post-workout snack: hot pocket
  • Dinner: burrito with pork and veggies

Half-Elf Ranger

Did something weird and tried to make Stronglifts 5x5 work on our Bowflex machine. Actually did a decent job!

"Stronglifts 5x5": Workout B

Squat: 140 lb tension

Overhead Press: 80 lb tension

Deadlift: 200 lb tension

Half-Elf Ranger

I've been bad about updating my battle log! I figured out that since I'm on clinics and that can be unpredictable and crazy, it might be best to do weekly battle log updates on Saturday or Sunday. So... that's what's going to start happening from here on out. 

Overall this week was not great. I did my workout on Monday, found out I was matched to a residency program, was overcome with adrenaline and *emotions*--and then my body betrayed me. Got a fever Tuesday and have had a cold since. Decided to rest Thu, Wed, and Thur so I missed two cycling days and a strength day. Thankfully was able to do my strength training on Friday! I still feel crummy but I think tomorrow it will be safe to do some cycling.

I really hope life gets back to normal soon!

Over this next week I will be plotting out my goals for the next 6-week challenge, so stay posted for those. :)

Half-Elf Ranger