Otter's First Ranger Challenge

otter905

haha, billy blanks.  He's the oldschool version of Shaun T.  Get some hip hop abs going.

99% of the weight loss industry is built out of lies. That's why we're the rebellion.  Challenge the system.  Boring is good. Lifting is good. Clean eating is good.  Slow is good.

• Like 2

Hmm, when I start really craving red meat sometimes it's because I'm low in iron. I try to think of all the things that might be associated with the thing I'm craving and then try to get them from healthier alternate sources. Usually it works pretty well.

Glad to see you're trying to keep doing your workouts with the DVD's. Once you find something you're interested in that want to stick with it will be much better ^_^

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

haha, billy blanks.  He's the oldschool version of Shaun T.  Get some hip hop abs going.

99% of the weight loss industry is built out of lies. That's why we're the rebellion.  Challenge the system.  Boring is good. Lifting is good. Clean eating is good.  Slow is good.

LOL I know, I actually still have some Taebo VHS tapes (thinking back on your last challenge, I should get rid of these, although I still have a VCR that works.....), which is kind of why I grabbed the dvd- just seeing it made me smile.  I knew it would make me sweat and if I actually did the movements correctly, I would get in some good ab work.  Nothing like lifting, but something a little different.

It just makes me wish the rebellion was bigger.  And that people actually listened to us when we talk about these things and see the changes we have made - it's like they just think its another "fad" diet and tune out.  And I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I can't do thatt" or  "I would die" from people when I talk about working out.

Hmm, when I start really craving red meat sometimes it's because I'm low in iron. I try to think of all the things that might be associated with the thing I'm craving and then try to get them from healthier alternate sources. Usually it works pretty well.

Glad to see you're trying to keep doing your workouts with the DVD's. Once you find something you're interested in that want to stick with it will be much better ^_^

Good point and I have been tired lately also.  I guess I know what I'm focusing on while grocery shopping this weekend. 

Do you eat meat?

I have been doing crossfit classed for over 1.5years, I just wanted to try something a little different.  I don't care if I try a new dvd each week for this challenge - I just want to focus on working out 5 days/week - doesn't matter what I do.

My self-worth, beauty, strength, and overall awesomeness is not defined by numbers.

12STR  13.75CON  5STA  12WIS   14CHA  6DEX        1 fire flower

Current Challenge   #8  #7   #6  #5  Unofficial  #4  #3  #2

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it first."  -The Pirate Captian

Then I would go! If there isn't anything being served something you can have, then just mind your portions. Or have a cheat day.

I'm always skeptical of videos, especially when they cost money. That's why most of my workouts come from free sites like YouTube, and CrossFit web pages.

Then I would go! If there isn't anything being served something you can have, then just mind your portions. Or have a cheat day.

I'm always skeptical of videos, especially when they cost money. That's why most of my workouts come from free sites like YouTube, and CrossFit web pages.

Sorry! For some reason it posted three times! I only clicked once...

Eating out can be challenging. I mean who knows what is processed and what isn't? If it's too much hassle to depend on the menu, perhaps you could eat prior to going and then you can focus on people time while you're there. Maybe order a small salad with dressing on the side. Either way, I hope you enjoy time with your brother.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Sorry! For some reason it posted three times! I only clicked once...

Same thing happened to me yesterday.  I think there was a hiccup on the site.

It just makes me wish the rebellion was bigger.  And that people actually listened to us when we talk about these things and see the changes we have made - it's like they just think its another "fad" diet and tune out.  And I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I can't do thatt" or  "I would die" from people when I talk about working out.

That's why you're kicking ass. Represent and the results speak for themselves.  I had to drop 4 pants sizes before my mom thought there *MIGHT* be something to this workout/paleo thing.

So, after posting about dinner tonight, I also remembered I have a bridal show tomorrow and another lunch on Sunday and I don't know where we are eating.

I just have to suck it up and make wise choices.  I have to find something maintainable that I can do 100% of the time.  I can't be on a Whole30 forever right??  The bridal show shouldn't be a problem, and I'm hoping to get a workout in before we go.  The not knowing where we are going to eat is what worries me, if I knew the place, I could prepare and have an idea of what to order.  Sunday a friend and I are going to see Wicked in another city, so we don't even know what restaurants will be around to have some idea - worst case scenario I spend way to much money on a crappy salad - or maybe I bend and buy a burger without the bun. I'll have to do a workout after this on sunday to get #5 for the week in (unless I work out tonight).

I went for a run last night- it was great again - a little colder seeing as it was a night and it was pretty icy and slippery by "the falls".  Theres just something about hearing Niagara Falls and the power of the water that keeps me running.   The second half was a little slower, I walked most of it, but it kind of felt like I had a corset on everytime I took a deep breath.  Not sure if it's remnants of the cold I had or the Billy Banks workout actually worked out my obliques. But by that time the only way to go was home. And really it only matters that I'm out doing something - not that I run it all.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 1

My self-worth, beauty, strength, and overall awesomeness is not defined by numbers.

"It's only impossible if you stop to think about it first."  -The Pirate Captian

I do eat meat although I try to consciously reduce the amount I consume for health and environmental reasons.

Glad you're having a good week! Eating out is a challenge but one that is manageable. I try to eat at different ethnicities restaurants to eat better, there is always a great option at Thai or Indian restaurants that meets my needs without the extra calories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

I do eat meat although I try to consciously reduce the amount I consume for health and environmental reasons.

Glad you're having a good week! Eating out is a challenge but one that is manageable. I try to eat at different ethnicities restaurants to eat better, there is always a great option at Thai or Indian restaurants that meets my needs without the extra calories.

I just read a book called Whole Foods to Thrive that talks about the environmental impact of meat. WOW!!  I picked it up to check out the recipes and decided to read it.  It definitely opened my eyes.  I kind of wanted to quit eating meat altogether, but I know I'm not knowledgable enough to eat right with out it and I'm on a Whole30 so all the seeds are not approved.  Once I'm done though I'm going to try a couple of the recipes and see how it effects me and how long they keep me full.  I would really like to start only eating meat for one meal.  If you have any tried and true recipes you would share that would be great.

Thanks for the tip about ethnic foods, I'll keep that in mind in the future  -my mom asked for Chinese which we know will not be the best with everything coming with a sauce.  If that's where we go I'll just stay away from the fried foods and try to not eat to much of the sauce.

• Like 1

I had a tightness in my chest after I tried a new ab workout a few months back. I think it's that.  The hard thing about eating whole30 is that there is NO way that restaurants can comply.  Whole30 people don't even like the canola oil, but the problem is that EVERY restaurant uses it, so there was no way to not have a small amount of canola oil on the whole30.

Restaurants can comply. I've had people call ahead and tell me about allergies or dietary restrictions and our chefs worked around it. One lady was allergic to soy so we had to make sure we only used olive oil.

It just takes a lot more planning.

• Like 1

I had a tightness in my chest after I tried a new ab workout a few months back. I think it's that.  The hard thing about eating whole30 is that there is NO way that restaurants can comply.  Whole30 people don't even like the canola oil, but the problem is that EVERY restaurant uses it, so there was no way to not have a small amount of canola oil on the whole30.

Ya, I went for another quick run on Saturday and felt part of it, so I think it was partially the ab workout and partially that the air is sooo cold.

So Friday - went to the Mandarin for dinner (chinese buffet)  I stuck mostly to the grilled meats, crab legs and sushi. Yes I know sushi is not Whole30 approved, but I do not have the will power to say no to sushi - I LOVE IT! and don't get it that often. I did have some general tao's chicken, chow mein, green beans and garlic brocolli, which were also not likely to be Whole30 approved, but only ate a small scoop of each and did not eat anything that was deep fried - I even stayed away from the sushi that had the deep fried chicken/shrimp in it.

Saturday- Did the ranger challenge and then went to the bridal show. I had a chocolate covered pretzel stick at the bridal show - didn't eat any of the cupcakes though- and had a stomach ache for over an hour - it sucked especially cause I was still at the show. Anyways, I was so overwhelmed after it all I went for a quick run - I say quick because it was really cold out so I cut it short - it was enough to clear my head though.

Sunday - lunch was a steak and spinach sub w/cheese - It was really tasty, I don't regret it at all. I did some yoga when I got home.  Would have liked to do more, but I had homework and cooking to do

I didn't do any cleaning this weekend - not even my regular stuff.

So in total

-cheated 3 times in one weekend on the Whole 30

-got 6 workouts in

-didn't go to crossfit so no working on my "goats"

-no cleaning done

oh and I forgot - on my scale at home I was down to 198lbs, but was back up to 200lbs this morning (amazing what a weekend can do to your goals) and I measured myself last night - I was only down a little and forgot to bring them with me to post. 

Weight/Measurements - Taken January 19

198lbs on my scale at home

Chest 35.5"

Waist 40.75" - at smallest 36.25"

hips 41.5'

R arm and L arm 10.75"

R wrist and L wrist 5.25"

R Thigh 21.75"

L Thigh 21.5"

R calf   13"

L calf 13.25"

This is why I don't weigh myself.  I have NO idea what I weigh because the last time I checked was in May.  I know my pants sizing are dropping like crazy and I'm wearing a shirt right now that I haven't been able to wear for 5 years because of how fat I was.  I'm doing SOMETHING right :)

• Like 2

I love when running gives you the chance to purge unwanted nerves and nagging thoughts. Awesome!

I'm really loving running all of a sudden - I think the quiting smoking has helped tremendously!! (I quit last April) and I immediately saw a diffierence in not coughing while running.  And now that its colder I don't get overheated while running - although we have had winter weather warnings all week and more for the weekend, so no running this week :moody:

This is why I don't weigh myself.  I have NO idea what I weigh because the last time I checked was in May.  I know my pants sizing are dropping like crazy and I'm wearing a shirt right now that I haven't been able to wear for 5 years because of how fat I was.  I'm doing SOMETHING right :)

Ya, my pants are chaning. Even the new ones I bought just after Christmas feel a little big now.  I do weigh myself regularly, but I don't usually let it bother me. Nor do I have a goal weight or optimal weight I want to be at.   And weighing myself after the weekend and seeing it up 2lbs, just made me want to get back to normal and not eat those things again. 

I feel great about the things I eat and want to stay with it.  I'm still getting weird cravings, but I think it's because my mind/body know that this is for the long haul this time.  The last time I did the Whole30, I kept telling myself I can do anything for 30days and it's only 30days.  This time it's not going to just end after 30days. I'm not going back to eating processed foods.

I tried a new recipe yesterday and a new food actually - both turned out well.

I made pecan orange tilapia with an orange glaze- very yummy! and I roasted some beets and sweet potatoes. 

I will post the fish reciped later.

• Like 1

Recipe for the fish

I used tilapia and pecans, because that's what I had on hand - a side note says to change it up you can use another nut and lemon or lime zest.  I also cooked mine in a cast iron frying pan, which I heated on the top of the stove first to sear the bottom of the fish a bit.

Citrus Macadamia nut Sole

1/4cup Macadamia nuts, chopped

zest of one orange

1lb of lemon sole or other white fish

sea salt and black pepper to taste (I threw on a pinch of garlic also)

2 tblspoons of butter or coconut oil

Preheat oven on a low broil setting

In a small mixing bowl, combine the Macadamia nuts and orange zet, set aside.

Place the lemon sole on a baking sheet, season with sea salt and black pepper to tast, then tope evenly with the butter or coconut oil and nut/zest topping.

Place the fish in the broler and cook approximately 10min or unitl opaque white all the way through.

Glaze/Deglazing the pan

2 tblspoons of coconut aminos

2 tblspoons freshly squeezed orage juice (about 1 orange - I uses the same orange I zested)

1 tblspoon warm water

1 tblspoon butter or coconut oil

After removing fish from the pan, turn the heat to high and pour in the deglazing liquid.  Use a whisk to remove the seared bits from the pan to flavour the sauce.

Reduce remaining liquid over high heat for 2-3 minutes.

Spoon sauce over fish.

Note: I didn't have coconut aminos so I didn't use any, it still tasted great, but didn't yield very much sauce.

How are you?

Sent via my phone b/c my laptop is out of reach. Cheers!

I am doing well - update coming up. How are you?  You seem to be doing awesome!

The fish recipe sounds yummy!  Might have to try it.

It was yummy! And you could do so many things with it.  I even reheated some the next day.  It was a little dried out, but still very tasty.  Up until that recipe, I had only done tilapia in some butter with a little Frank's and it was getting boring.

I also tried the following 2 recipes

Buffalo Chicken Eggplant "lasagna" - spicy, but very tasty and really easy because it's done in the crock pot

Chicken Shwarma - this one takes a little time because you have to "double cook it", but so worth it and you could make up lots and then reheat/double cook it when needed.  I threw mine in the oven then went and did some yoga.  Took it out of the oven and cooked it in the frying pan while chopping up veggies for a spinach salad with the chicken on top. -YUMMO!

Update:

Whole 30 - good, no cheats and trying new recipes which is fun

Workout 5 time - only 3 this week, this cold weather is killing me, I don't want to do anything

Crossfit goats - haven't been to crossfit yet again

Life goal - dusted when I cleaned and worked on my kitchen some more - cleaned 1 and a bit walls, and the floor around it  moving my fridge, stove and table and cleaning under/around them all and cleaned my microwave.  I have one wall left with the cupboards on it and the rest of the floor.

I decided this morning to put the scale away.  For the last week I have been bouncing between 196lbs and 200lbs and I don't like it.  It's starting to frustrate me - so I put it away for a while before I get really frustrated.  This is why they say not to weigh yourself everyday, but until now it never really bothered me.  So I'm having a smart moment and putting it away.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines