Chelkie the Ranger. Think, the Female Version of Aragorn…but Cleaner.

Chelkie

This will be my first mission in the Rangers guild, and I hope to make you guys proud to welcome me to the fold!

I’ve always loved Aragorn, he’s agile, a master swordsman, brave, romantic…dreamy…you get the picture. So I thought I’d base my first Quest here on trying to imitate this studly ranger. Though of course I’ll maintain better overall personal hygiene, it’s like he never heard of bathing in a stream or something!

Main Quest: Become Agile, Strong and Healthy Like A Female Aragorn

Specific Goals:

Progress in Side Splits – Stretch 10-20min Every Day +5 DEX

It’s important as a Ranger to be agile and bendy, you never know when you’re going to have jump chasms, leap boulders, kick people and impress the ruggedly good looking gentlemen in the Inns at night.  ;)

This is my sad picture of my starting splits - aka still standing pretty much upright. We all have to start somewhere though I guess! 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/space_monkey287/Progress%20Pics/20140107_203117.jpg

Also in the album is my starting photo for last challenge, I haven't gotten around to taking an after/this time around before picture, but I don't think much has changed because of the loss of steam over the holidays. 

95g Protein a Day  (1g/1lb LBM or .82g/lb regular body weight) +3 CON

Living off the land involves eating a lot of meat and gathered vegetables, something I don’t get enough of. I’d like to up my protein consumption (veges too but one step at a time people!), and after a lot of reading and combing through page after page of debates on the subject, I’ve settled on 95g a day. Whether this will turn out to be too much or too little, I’m not sure but you never know until you test it out and see how your body responds.  

Follow Strength Training Schedule – 3x Week +4 STR

Being a Ranger is a grueling lifestyle, and I need to get stronger to keep up. Not only do you have to swing redonkulously heavy swords, but you never know when you’ll be called on to toss a dwarf or two.

I’ll be following the weight lifting schedule below, which I’m definitely open to help on, because I’m new to strength training and worry that I’m doing everything completely wrong.  I plan on doing it 3 times a week, leaving a day between each session to let my muscles recover. I’ve used this schedule for about two months off and on now, and it seems to be working though.

Squats – 45lb/bar

Lunges – 20lbs

Calf Raises – 20lbs

Bench Presses -45lb bar

Bent-Over Rows (single arm) – 15lb

Overhead Barbell Presses – 35lb

Incline Dumbbell Flys – 20lb

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts -35lbs

Barbell Curls –30lb bar

Skullcrushers -20lb bar

Pull ups – 85lbs

Ab work

Three week cycle as follows:

The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.

The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.

The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.

If you got all of the required reps on the third week then increase the weight by 10% and repeat the cycle.

I’ll also be running once or twice a week for a 5k at an 8min/mile pace to keep up the progress I made from my last quest. Decided not to make this a solid goal because I burnt out a bit and I’m needing a breather from running before I hop back into my sub 2hr half marathon training.

Life Quest:

Prep More Meals in Advance – 3x a Week at Least +3WIS (Saving $ and Eating Healthy, it's Smart!)

Eating at inns all the time is expensive! As a Ranger I should practice frugality and remember to pack more breakfast and lunches. Also, on a long journey I can’t expect to be able to pick up provisions every day, I need to plan ahead and bring enough food to last me.

I’ve gotten into a bad habit of not bringing food to work with me for the day, and I end up eating out a lot more than I should. I’m going to shoot for bringing at least 3 meals a week to work, but ideally it will be more than that.

My starting stats:

Height: 5’2â€

Age: 24 (Both not really a changeable stats, but included for informational purposes)

Weight: 117

Waist:?

Hips:?

Upper Arm:?

Upper Thigh:?

Body Fat: 19.9% - (Measured by gyms electrode system, so this number is relatively suspect)

Grading System: 

A 100-90%

B 89-80%
C 79-70%
D 69-60% 
F 59% -below

85.69%
85.69%

Progress in Side Splits – Stretch 10-20min Every Day 

99.98%
99.98%

95g Protein A Day  (1g/1lb LBM or .82g/lb regular body weight) 

83.31%
83.31%

Follow Strength Training Schedule – 3x Week

99.98%
99.98%

Prep More Meals in Advance – 3x A Week At Least 

Thanks for reading my ramblings and good luck fellow Rangers!

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Your goals are good and easily measured.  I like the balance between flexibility, strength training, and diet.

For my fourth challenge (link below) I was aiming for 100 grams of protein per day. It turned out to not be all that hard,as long as I ate something with protein with every meal. 

Since then I have got up to 150 grams per day, but that took some planning and/or protein powder for me. 

I am now averaging between 100 and 130 grams, but don't track it as closely for now.

Champion Of Correlon Larethian

You'll get there soon enough.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Thanks for the good luck everyone!

Xena - Yeah I think I should be right on schedule for running a sub 2 this summer, i've been going off this calculator someone showed me http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ which seems to indicate if I can run an 8min/mile pace for a 5k I can run a 9min/mile for a half. Definitely going to need my next challenge to focus on running though, if i'm going to start adding enough mileage to get me back up to half marathon distance. I just hate the treadmill so much! The only thing that keeps me interested on it is Zombies, Run!

Mikroftt - Agreed, trying to do too much at once is a great way to burn out and fail half way through. I mean as of now I eat a decent amount of meat and vegetables, just not enough to feel like i'm really being as healthy as I could. So i'll make a little change now and try to eat more protein with each meal, and maybe next challenge focus on adding that last bit of greenery to my diet. 

Erick - Did you notice any significant change in your lifting after upping your protein so much, or did it just help you lean out by eating less junk calories?

Greetings from a fellow northerner. I assume you currently do your running indoors?

You can definitely maintain a pace beyond my threshold, and would without a doubt outrun this dwarf any day. However...

13459_408113796964_1743294_n.jpg

;) The best of luck to you, Alaska.

Haha yeah, running outside when it's -7 and you have to wear yaktrax is just no fun. So, lame boring old treamill for me for at least the next three months. 

Wow! Yes! That! On chairs even...looks precarious. 

Haha yeah, running outside when it's -7 and you have to wear yaktrax is just no fun. So, lame boring old treamill for me for at least the next three months. 

Wow! Yes! That! On chairs even...looks precarious. 

Well, looks like you'll get some attention span training along with your running then.

Indeed it is. Haha. This is what happens when you grow up watching Van Damme movies.

Anyway, you could try doing some warm-up, then foam rolling (particularly the hamstrings, adductors, hip flexors, and glutes) before your flexibility sessions. The muscles tend to elongate more when they're warm (like rubber bands), and pretty much the point of stretching is to tell your muscles "It's okay, we can go there. Nothing is going to break. Nothing to worry about, just relax." and re-teach them to allow more movement before tensing up.

This is a really good one too:

Also there's a wealth of knowledge in Pavel Tsatsouline's Relax Into Stretch.

Welcome!  I realise she isn't canon, but with the red hair and all, you could always use tauriel as an inspiration?  I know there's a certain amount of hate for her but I actually liked the character (more so because she made legolas do the butt pose in the promo poster http://www.themarysue.com/tauriel-legolas-hobbit-butt-pose-poster/)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Quirky! I thought I might see you around here. I don't know if i've exactly come up with a stretching routine, but probably a mix of this site and this site http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/splits.html   http://www.flipyeahparkour.com/2012/03/how-to-become-flexible/ The first one I think you showed me and that has a lot of good information on isometric stretching and things to think about, but it's for front splits. So the second one has quite a few side splits stretches that i'll try. It's been ages since i've done any sort of flexibility training, so I think it'll take a bit of trial and error to work out a schedule. Though if you've managed to have other sites with better information or some pointers of your own, that would be very helpful too!

Machete - I've heard foam rollers would help, but i've never used one and i've never seen one at my gym. Do they sell them at regular fitness stores, or is it more of a yoga/pilates sort of thing?

Maledictus - Haha poor Legolas, forever picked upon for his girly looks. The red hair would indeed match, and Tauriel is a badass, but I'm not too into elves. The pointy ears give me the wiggins.  

Also, yay official start of the challenge! Feels good to be back after our break, but I must admit I slacked more than I thought I would. Getting back into going to the gym 4+ times a week will be difficult. 

I stretched once this weekend, and it made me laugh pretty hard. The start of my side splits is so awful I might as well still be standing. :P I have a loooooot of work to do on this one. I'll make my bf take a picture of it tonight at the gym, so you can all have a good chuckle too. Plus, it's nice to have picture proof of progress. 

Yeah, they're everywhere. I bought mine I believe at a Walmart. You'd look ridiculous if you're in a place where it's not a common thing though. My roommate recognized (after a few weeks) that whenever I am making sex sounds in the next room, I am foam rolling, not getting laid.

Hahaha, and then you went from "player" to "strange guy who rubs himself on foam noodles?"

I actually managed to find the foam rollers at my gym last night! They are short fat grey ones though, which was different from most that i've seen that look like pool noodles. I think they should still work though. It's over in the stretching section too so less people can hear...assuming of course these noodles feel as awesomely painful but good as i've heard. 

So looking around at everyone's quest threads, it seems most of you put something about your plans for the new year. I'm not really a big new years resolutions person, mostly I just strive to be happier than I was the year before. I do have a lot of plans though. 

I've got a trip to Japan scheduled for October 10-24th, which is beyond exciting. I've started a new trend of going somewhere awesome and out of the country every year for my two weeks of paid vacation. Last year was Australia, which was so much fun, I definitely recommend it to everyone. In Australia I went on a bunch of adventure activities like snorkeling, scuba diving, rock climbing, rafting, sandboarding ect. This trip will be a bit more tame, but i'm going to make it a point to go hiking and climbing around in the country side looking at temples and such. 

Also this year I have a small list of things i'd like to check off my To Do list. 

1. Get better at rock climbing. I'm probably going to make this one of my challenges this year, I find I just have so many physical activities that I like, that I don't have the time or the energy to fit them all into a regular schedule.

2. Get better at shooting. Also one of those activities I really enjoy, but I prefer outdoor ranges, and the weather hasn't been cooperating much this winter. Definitely something i'm going to try to work practice on into my schedule on a semi regular basis. 

3. Earn at least 2 half marathon medals this summer. Pretty self explanatory, i've already signed up for two races this summer so all I have to do is train. This is going to start up on my next challenge for sure. I'm starting to miss my weekly Zombies Run stories already. 

And last but not least, 4. Learn to alter/make my own clothes. I have some moderate sewing skills, but i've never tried anything as complex as clothing. I'm really petite though, so I find it extremely difficult to buy clothes that fit properly and am always walking around with my pants dragging on the ground. Also I have to shop in the juniors department, which makes finding my own personal style of clothing difficult. As an added bonus i'll be able to make awesome halloween costumes too. 

So yeah, that's going to be 2014 for me. 

Haha- my publicly stated New Years Resolution is to have only one New Years Resolution.

I like that your goals are specific. One upgrade I might suggest is to allow yourself leniency on the lifting 3x a week. Allow yourself to say, "I'm a bit overtrained this week, I will ease off..." Gains are made when we rest!

Otherwise, can't wait to see how you do this challenge!

• Like 1

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Heeeey!! Welcome to the rangers!! We have almost the exact same goals :D I'm sure you'll make an awesome Aragorn, he is far too dreamy for his own good, but yes...the hygiene definitely needs sorting out haha

I too find it really hard to find clothes that fit me (small waist & big bum *sigh*) so I make a lot of my own clothes! It's really not difficult I promise, and once you can sew a straight line and on a curve you're sorted! There are a ton of free clothes patterns to be found on Burda style :)

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Quirky - Haha yeah, I think most of those will become challenges this year, but I also have a few other ideas i've been kicking around. I love traveling, it's kind of the one thing I splurge on. Mostly I horde my money like a squirrel...a money squirrel. :P But I don't mind spending money as much if it's to do awesome things i'd probably never get to do again. I think next years trip is already planned too, my parents have a timeshare in Cancun they said I could use, so I think i'll go do there for a bit and explore all the cool Mayan Ruins. 

GoodDoug - Allow myself to slack? That's a slippery slope for me... It's true you don't want to get burnt out or get an strain injury, but I worry if I give myself leniency to miss a day or two it'll snowball. Do you think perhaps a deloading week or something similar would be just as beneficial? 

missrebecca - Yay! I love finding people who are sharing my goals, i'll have to go creep on your thread and see your strategies. That's pretty much me exactly. I'm 5'2 but most of my junk is in my trunk...poor chest. :( So I have stubby little legs, a big butt and a smallish upper body. Makes finding clothes quite impossible. That Burda Style place is awesome though, just took a peek and I think it'll turn out to be quite helpful. I've also found a lot of really fun projects on Pinterest. I know how to sew straight and on a curve, but i'm mostly worried about sewing on different fabrics, especially ones with stretch, because i've only ever really sewn on cotton and denim. How do you go about fitting your clothes to yourself, do you have a mannequin you pin on, or do you just put it on and pin it in the mirror? 

Hahaha, and then you went from "player" to "strange guy who rubs himself on foam noodles?"

I actually managed to find the foam rollers at my gym last night! They are short fat grey ones though, which was different from most that i've seen that look like pool noodles. I think they should still work though. It's over in the stretching section too so less people can hear...assuming of course these noodles feel as awesomely painful but good as i've heard. 

Player... Good one.

Yeah, I think those work just as well, if not better.

Another (slightly more insane) alternative to a foam roller is a 3" PVC pipe. ;)

Also, subbed for badass goals with inevitably badass results. =) I like your first challenge a lot as well, so I'm going to keep track of you for these motivations, haha.

Also also, I shall toss generalized harsh words in your direction because I'm in Chicago and it's been waaaaaay colder here for the past two days than it's been in (most of?) Alaska. =P

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

missrebecca - Yay! I love finding people who are sharing my goals, i'll have to go creep on your thread and see your strategies. That's pretty much me exactly. I'm 5'2 but most of my junk is in my trunk...poor chest. :( So I have stubby little legs, a big butt and a smallish upper body. Makes finding clothes quite impossible. That Burda Style place is awesome though, just took a peek and I think it'll turn out to be quite helpful. I've also found a lot of really fun projects on Pinterest. I know how to sew straight and on a curve, but i'm mostly worried about sewing on different fabrics, especially ones with stretch, because i've only ever really sewn on cotton and denim. How do you go about fitting your clothes to yourself, do you have a mannequin you pin on, or do you just put it on and pin it in the mirror? 

Sewing on different fabrics isn't too difficult if you've got a decent machine, the thing to remember with stretchy fabrics is not to pull them taught as when you release them they're going to crinkle (unless that's what you're going for of course). The worst thing I've ever sewn was bridal satin, it slipped all over the place!

Until recently I was using my gradma's machine (50 year old and still very awesome) so for dresses and things she fit them to me. But I recently made a dress on my own and basically once I had the zip in, but no sleeves, I tacked down the side seams, put it on inside out and pinned it where I wanted it to fit, then took it off and sewed. I unfortunately don't have a dress form yet, but if you do that would be the easiest thing to use. 

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Erick - Did you notice any significant change in your lifting after upping your protein so much, or did it just help you lean out by eating less junk calories?

It was like walking a tight rope -- trying to get the protein up but not bust my daily calorie cap.  What it forced me to do was eat pretty paleo -- lots of non-starchy vegetables, lots of meat and eggs, some fruit and berries.  I had to pretty much cut out milk and cheese was only for special days.  But I lost a lot of what I did not need and held on to my muscle gains.  My lifting really hasn't progressed in the last few months as I have been cutting, but that may be because I only lift each big lift once per week rather than more often like in Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

I like your 2014 goals.  I need to get out shooting as well, and haven't for the same reasons as yourself.  I am training for my first half in April, maybe I will make it two just to be as cool as you.  And my wife sews all the time, and loves it.  It is a good hobby for anyone, and so practical (and fun to make costumes!)

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I'm not saying you should slack off! ;)

I just think that if you let yourself honestly say, "Hmm, might be a good week to recover" and not worry about how it will affect your challenge might be helpful. I've had a challenge where I pushed a little harder than I should have.

But, you know yourself best. I'm sure you will take this in the spirit in which it was intended.

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Another (slightly more insane) alternative to a foam roller is a 3" PVC pipe. ;)

Also, subbed for badass goals with inevitably badass results. =) I like your first challenge a lot as well, so I'm going to keep track of you for these motivations, haha.

Also also, I shall toss generalized harsh words in your direction because I'm in Chicago and it's been waaaaaay colder here for the past two days than it's been in (most of?) Alaska. =P

Haha, thank you for the sub! Badassitude is definitely the goal. 

I've heard about the pvc pipe thing too, i'm crazy, but i'm not sure i'm that crazy! I'm not sure I get the point of the rolling in general though, is it just like a deep tissue massage and helps loosen up your muscles? Is it a pre or post workout thing?

Hey now :P Anchorage was getting -10/-15 weather in November, when it's supposed to be relatively mild still. Though it has been quite lovely out this week, in the low 30's and snowy. Mostly I can just say, HA! Suckas! to you poor folks freezing your bums off in the lower 48. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines