Chelkie the Ranger. Think, the Female Version of Aragorn…but Cleaner.

Chelkie

Don't worry, Chelkie. I'm sure you will get eyeballed in a sexist, demeaning way by someone else at the gym. Good things to look forward to! As a guy, it's a little different. The only time I had someone staring intently at me in the squat rack was when I put too much weight on the squats after the holidays and I was moving reeeally slowly lifting the weight. I think he felt he was going to need to come to my rescue and lift the weights off me.

Good way to stand your ground. I mean- he loaded up the deadlift and then didn't even use it right away? I guess I'm just too small and puny to understand some of these guys. :)

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Ha. What a douchecanoe.

I've got all sorts of things running around in my head as solutions for that. Like... a paintball gun? >.>

But seriously, that's just basic courtesy. To hell with your circuit if someone else needs the equipment. I would've wanted to have said something to him myself, but perhaps it's simpler for you to laugh at him and move on. =)

I had to laugh at myself for a bit though. 

Sure do hope you meant laugh at him. ;)

But seriously, a paintball gun. =D

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

Wow, who would load up weight on a bar just to "save their spot"?

I have waiting for the squat rack to open up, or for floor space for deadlifts (our weights area is cramped).  Makes me want to get my own equipment, but I don't think I have the funds (or the room).

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Don't worry, Chelkie. I'm sure you will get eyeballed in a sexist, demeaning way by someone else at the gym. Good things to look forward to! As a guy, it's a little different. The only time I had someone staring intently at me in the squat rack was when I put too much weight on the squats after the holidays and I was moving reeeally slowly lifting the weight. I think he felt he was going to need to come to my rescue and lift the weights off me.

Good way to stand your ground. I mean- he loaded up the deadlift and then didn't even use it right away? I guess I'm just too small and puny to understand some of these guys. :)

Haha hey now, I don't want to be eyeballed in a demeaning way (that only happens occasionally), but a person can appreciate the occasional approving glance. You would have to, or you'd probably try to tear out everyone's eyeballs at the gym, because it just happens and is a fact of life. 

:P Well that makes sense, I would probably be watching someone looking in imminent danger of being crushed like a bug too. Perhaps he just liked your form though.

I don't think anyone understands these guys except these guys. It was pretty douchey, especially because there is section with several bars and weights off in a corner that you can use for deadlifts, that isn't right in the squat rack.

• Like 1

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Ha. What a douchecanoe.

I've got all sorts of things running around in my head as solutions for that. Like... a paintball gun? >.>

But seriously, that's just basic courtesy. To hell with your circuit if someone else needs the equipment. I would've wanted to have said something to him myself, but perhaps it's simpler for you to laugh at him and move on. =)

Sure do hope you meant laugh at him. ;)

But seriously, a paintball gun. =D

Well, I laughed a bit at both of us. Me for having a diva moment, and him for his ridiculous urge to claim everything as his personal property. Also he was one of those people that sounds like they are canoodling while lifting, grunting, groaning, huffing ect. Which I can't help but laugh, because they are just so earnest. 

Paintball gun would be pretty fun...but it would also get paint all over the nice gym equipment, which wouldn't be cool. Now when he leaves to his car though, totally fair game.

Hahaha! Paintball paint is totally water soluble. Comes out of clothes easily; gym equipment would be cake to clean up. ;D

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Wow, who would load up weight on a bar just to "save their spot"?

I have waiting for the squat rack to open up, or for floor space for deadlifts (our weights area is cramped).  Makes me want to get my own equipment, but I don't think I have the funds (or the room).

A jerk. :/

Yeah I feel you on that, it's quite annoying to have to wait for both floor space or a squat rack, my gym is pretty cramped too. Well, the weight section is...for some reason the cardio area though, totally open and spacious. Having a basement and a bunch of money would be really convenient. Also you wouldn't have to commute. Though sometimes it's nice to get up and out of your house, even if is just to hit the gym. 

Yeah, the out-of-house experience is a good daily thing. Personally, I get enough of that from work, but I'm the type of person who enjoys staying home more often than not. =)

$300 though! That's what I spent on my setup (Craigslist) and it's plenty for most things.

5'11"/180cm

musasabi - That's actually not too bad, do you have barbells or just dumbbells? 

So I stayed out late last night having dinner and a movie with my friend, and didn't get back home until around 11:30 last night. So when I got home I remembered I still had my stretches to do, but I was tired so I decided to skip my warmup...yeah, it's amazing the difference in stretching when your warm and when you aren't. Didn't have nearly the flexibility, and my muscles felt much more uncomfortable when stretched to the point I could easily do the day before. Another lesson learned the hard way!

My set wound up being a bench with a bunch of addons (preacher, ham curl, pulldown), a rusty oly bar, and 2x45, 2x34, 2x25, 2x10, 4x5, 2x2.5 Standard Barbell plates. A very good deal to say the least, but that's what Craigslist is made of if you dig in. =)

5'11"/180cm

I actually had one of the regulars at the gym I work at compliment my squat form the other day. He went about it in a very nice way and was a complete gentleman. If a gym is busy (as it often is the case around this time) I find a lot of people are asking to sub in between sets and that's awesome as  long as the sets are courteous and done in a reasonable amount of time. I'm also the girl that deadlifts between her bench sets. He sounds like he just likes the gym to himself.

I'm wondering where you got 95 grams of protein as a baseline? I'm a little bigger than you albeit with a little more body fat (20%) and have been doing really well with my protein at around 60 grams. I was eating 80 grams for about a month to see if it made a difference and found it didn't matter once I started cutting it back. That being said I always have a source of protein with my meals and my snacks are usually a smaller protein/carb combo.

Interesting challenge! I'll check back to see how your doing :-)

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

I actually had one of the regulars at the gym I work at compliment my squat form the other day. He went about it in a very nice way and was a complete gentleman. If a gym is busy (as it often is the case around this time) I find a lot of people are asking to sub in between sets and that's awesome as  long as the sets are courteous and done in a reasonable amount of time. I'm also the girl that deadlifts between her bench sets. He sounds like he just likes the gym to himself.

I'm wondering where you got 95 grams of protein as a baseline? I'm a little bigger than you albeit with a little more body fat (20%) and have been doing really well with my protein at around 60 grams. I was eating 80 grams for about a month to see if it made a difference and found it didn't matter once I started cutting it back. That being said I always have a source of protein with my meals and my snacks are usually a smaller protein/carb combo.

Interesting challenge! I'll check back to see how your doing :-)

I could probably get behind subbing in between sets, i've never seen anyone do it in my gym though. It is rather busy this time of year, last month I didn't have a problem getting on the one squat rack, now I have to lurk around it for at least 10 minutes. I selfishly hope that in a month all the people who joined for a new years resolution will have flaked out, and i'll get my peaceful gym time back again. We'll see.

Google mostly, I looked up quite a few sites as well as asked around on Myfitnesspal, the general consensus was 1g/1lb LBM or .82g/lb regular body weight. At my last body fat test at my gym I was 95lbs of LBM and my total weight is 117lbs, both of which equal to 95g of protein. I mostly did this challenge to test if there was any measurable change eating considerably more protein than normal. Some people say yes, some people say no. So far I haven't really felt a difference, but it's only been a week and a half. 

I've actually also been relatively curious about preworkout stuff. My bodybuilding friend took it every day before his workouts and said it made him far more energetic and made him push harder. It seems to me most of it is just caffeine though, so I wonder if just drinking an energy drink wouldn't do the same sort of thing?

Lots of people recommmend a little caffeine before working out.  I don't take caffeine unless it is in medicine, but it makes sense.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

The thing about energy drinks and prewo stuff is that they're expensive. That, and often, they're shit for general healthfulness (carbonation, tons of sugar, etc).

For instance, this is twenty grams of caffeine. For $5. Take one or two of those ~30 minutes before you start your warmup, make sure your warmup lasts 30 minutes and that you're well hydrated leading into it/throughout your workout and you'll tear the place apart. Caffeine is also extremely easy to "reset" your tolerance to. About two weeks with zero caffeine and your body will react like it's never seen the stuff.

Then there's ephedrine and DMAA, which are helpful in ways unlike caffeine, but also regarded as dangerous by the FDA. I think the people who get hurt or die with that stuff in their lockers (nevermind whether or not it was in their toxicology workup) are fools. If you don't take them for weight loss or get to the point where you're taking them three times a day for whatever ungodly reason, those two make powerful friends.

Basically - don't pay for a RedBull because it tastes like shit and costs 100x more than you need to spend if you're just looking for metabolic stimulation. =D

5'11"/180cm

In my nutritional class and a lot of the athletic research I read it says 0.82 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight is a good amount for an average person. Professional athletes range between 0.95-1.5 depending on their sport. I haven't seen any gains from eating more protein but by eating less I am able to save on my groceries. Plus any extra protein your body doesn't use to build muscle is just converted to sugars and stored as fat if not used.

As a pre-workout I'll have some espresso or an iced coffee in the summer before a run but most of the supplements are unnecessary. They do have some benefit but for the cost and questionable ingredients (most team athletes now are directly told by their coaches not to take supplements because of the chance of a positive drug test). I know a ton of guys that swear by it but I'm curious how much of it is a placebo effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Haha hey now, I don't want to be eyeballed in a demeaning way (that only happens occasionally), but a person can appreciate the occasional approving glance. You would have to, or you'd probably try to tear out everyone's eyeballs at the gym, because it just happens and is a fact of life.

:P Well that makes sense, I would probably be watching someone looking in imminent danger of being crushed like a bug too. Perhaps he just liked your form though.

I don't think anyone understands these guys except these guys. It was pretty douchey, especially because there is section with several bars and weights off in a corner that you can use for deadlifts, that isn't right in the squat rack.

Wait, so women actually know when you're looking at them? Shit...

Anyway, if I'm in the gym staring at you and I'm making a face like I'm holding in a massive dump, then you're probably doing something in a way so incorrect that it's hurting me. That or you're just absolutely visually pleasing and I just happen to be holding in a dump.

• Like 1

Ack, sorry I haven't updated in awhile everyone! It was an intensely busy week.

Alright, Monday/Tuesday morning update:

I went to the gym twice this week and did strength training, and then for one of my exercises I did the Guild challenge, but modified it a bit. Did a bit more of each exercise and skipped out on the jumping jacks. I hate jumping jacks with a fiery passion.

Stretching I was really good all through the week but the weekend I dropped the ball a bit, forgot to stretch both saturday and sunday. When I did my stretches on Monday though I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of progress i'm making in my splits, I feel way more comfortable and you can really start to see me getting closer to the ground. I blame sunday on staying out late at my first Magic draft. I did alright for it being my first time won 2 out 4 matches. Yay super nerdness!

I kept in my protein goals and brought lunch 4 times last week.

Overall I feel like on this challenge i've definitely not had the strongest start, but it's week three and I still have time to pick myself up and finish strong. Here's to turning things around!

Ha. I can't believe you did even one more burpee instead of a measly 40 jumping jacks. That is a first in my book. Still, glad you came aboard the ship.

Good to hear about the stretching. We're not even halfway done yet, so lots of time left to get there. You should take another status picture soon so you can see the difference. I plan to take one this weekend and see if I'm slacking off to much or if it's working.

Quirky DM

Ha. I can't believe you did even one more burpee instead of a measly 40 jumping jacks. That is a first in my book. Still, glad you came aboard the ship.

Good to hear about the stretching. We're not even halfway done yet, so lots of time left to get there. You should take another status picture soon so you can see the difference. I plan to take one this weekend and see if I'm slacking off to much or if it's working.

I would do 100 more instead of jumping jacks. They feel totally pointless, like i'm a flailing ragdoll, or i'm trying to do the chicken dance or something. 

Good plan, I think i'll finish up week three and then do a halfway progress shot. I'm hoping this progress i'm feeling/seeing isn't all in my head!

I would do 100 more instead of jumping jacks. They feel totally pointless, like i'm a flailing ragdoll, or i'm trying to do the chicken dance or something. 

Good plan, I think i'll finish up week three and then do a halfway progress shot. I'm hoping this progress i'm feeling/seeing isn't all in my head!

Haha. Indeed. I did over a thousand jumping jacks once. Four-count. The only thing I accomplished with that was I was later able to say I did a thousand jumping jacks.

• Like 1

Now I can't get the image of a failing rag-doll out of my head.

Thank you Chelkie for that image.  ;)

You are doing great.  Onward and upward.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Haha I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who finds jumping jacks pointless. 

So due to some really smooth (aka clumsy) moves on my part, I managed to almost drop the bench press bar on my face last night. On the only one in my gym with a bar that the weight clips fit snugly, there are two places to set the bar at. Unfortunately they are super close to each other, only about a half inch wider than the bar width. So I was on my last set and my arms were letting me know they would really like a break, and I go to rack the bar...and one racks on the top rest and one on the bottom rest. So i'm flailing around trying to get one of the sides down to the second rest, and my arms are like noooope, not going to work anymore. Had to make a quick evasive maneuver with my head and managed to wriggle the weight forward and rest it on my hips. 

I'm pretty sure if I had dropped it on my face I would have to find a new gym. Probably in a different city.

On the plus side I noticed Tuesdays are far less crowded at my gym than Mondays, so I actually got to finish my whole workout without waiting in line for anything.

The thing about energy drinks and prewo stuff is that they're expensive. That, and often, they're shit for general healthfulness (carbonation, tons of sugar, etc).

For instance, this is twenty grams of caffeine. For $5. Take one or two of those ~30 minutes before you start your warmup, make sure your warmup lasts 30 minutes and that you're well hydrated leading into it/throughout your workout and you'll tear the place apart. Caffeine is also extremely easy to "reset" your tolerance to. About two weeks with zero caffeine and your body will react like it's never seen the stuff.

Then there's ephedrine and DMAA, which are helpful in ways unlike caffeine, but also regarded as dangerous by the FDA. I think the people who get hurt or die with that stuff in their lockers (nevermind whether or not it was in their toxicology workup) are fools. If you don't take them for weight loss or get to the point where you're taking them three times a day for whatever ungodly reason, those two make powerful friends.

Basically - don't pay for a RedBull because it tastes like shit and costs 100x more than you need to spend if you're just looking for metabolic stimulation. =D

What if I like the taste of sugar free Redbull?...and by like, I mean love.

I read a bit about ephedrine and DMAA after you posted this and I think i'll definitely pass on that. What I really want in a preworkout is a just a boost in energy that will help me power through my workout, which caffeine seems to be able to do just fine. The extras the other stimulants give like decreased appetite, deydration, racing heart, and high blood pressure just don't sound like fun. Also I have a slight fear of relying on something I shouldn't, which is why I never took Adderall in college like my friends did.

Thanks for the info! :) 

So I'm not the only one who likes to defy death in the weight room? :) I'm pretty sure if you had dropped it on your face, a new gym would be low down on the priority list. And where are the creepy always staring gym guys when you need them? They just have no sense of timing.

I'm glad you made it out OK. At the very least so you don't need to change your profile picture. :) You're badass enough as it is- no need to add facial bruising to prove it.

• Like 2

Quirky DM

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines