The [not-so] Triumphant Return of fadagaski

Unlike a certain Mithrandir, I HAVE a memory of this place. Several, in fact. I did really well over the summer, being all healthy and whatever. That sort of died a spectacular death in September, but I'm back. I'm ready to Level Up my life. (I'm totally culling these challenges from my initial attempt because they are more valid now than they were even then).

Main Quest: to build strength whilst losing bodyfat

(Actually, I have aspirations of joining the Monks in a martial art, like kickboxing)

Goal 1: Consistent weight training

Work through Strong Lifts. Keep good form and keep track of where I am. One day I will squat my body weight!

3x week A; 2x week B; 1x week C; 0x week F

STR

Goal 2: Consistent primal diet

Eat vegetables, eat sea food, eat fruit. Avoid processed foods. Avoid chocolate and crisps. Avoid white flour.

90% A; 70% B; 50% C; 30% D

CON

Goal 3: Consistent calorie deficit

Daily calorie goal is 1700-1800. Track it on MyFitnessPal app.

6 days a week A; 5 days a week B; 4 days a week C; 3 days a week D

CHA

Life Quest: Consistent marking

It quickly became apparent in my first year that keeping up with marking is hard. This year, with more subjects and less time off, I need to stay on top of it from the get go.

90% books marked A; 70% books marked B; 50% books marked C; 30% books marked D

WIS

Side Quest: Knitting

Knit at least 10 rows on my scarf every week.

10 rows A; 8 rows B; 6 rows C; 4 rows D

Ally: Panda Ranger Lvl 2

Challenges 1a | 2a | 1b | 2b | 3

str 6.25 | dex 2 | sta 0 | con 0 | wis 2.75 | cha 2.3

"And master the skills of bodacious and awesome!"

Brutal honesty are my middle names. So far:

• Not gone to the gym.
  • Not worked out at home.
  • Eaten a bunch of cake at school.
  • Not done all the little motivational things I said I would do.
  • Not done any knitting.
  • Not slaughtered my marking.

And I have pitiful excuses that I will spare you.

Ugh.

Well, you got your slump out of the way early in the challenge.  I have one or two days or even weeks like that per challenge.  Now, go kick butt in the rest of it!

I agree to this, 100%! In my opinion, part of the adventure is falling into peril occasionally! The night before the challenge was a big dip in my heroics, and I can tell you Saturday nights are going to be uber-evil!

Proxzerk

Lvl 2 - Capsuleer - Scout

[sTR 1.75 | DEX 2 | STA 2.5 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA ]

"Heir to my actions..."

I've been struggling to get into the swing of things this week. There are a number of reasons for that (transport issues, back to school, parents' evening coming up, etc.). Psychologically, I've been avoiding thinking about this post so as not to stress myself over how much I'm failing. I've set myself up for failure.

BUT! This is nerdfitness. I am allowed to 'hack the game' so that it best fits my needs. I want to succeed with my goals. I want to build good habits. I want to take things more gradually than I have been. This is my confession, my declaration: I'm modding my challenge.

Main Quest: to build strength

(Actually, I have aspirations of joining the Monks in a martial art, like kickboxing)

Goal 1: Consistent weight training

Work through Strong Lifts. Keep good form and keep track of where I am. One day I will squat my body weight!

3x week A; 2x week B; 1x week C; 0x week F

STR

Life Quest: Consistent marking

It quickly became apparent in my first year that keeping up with marking is hard. This year, with more subjects and less time off, I need to stay on top of it from the get go.

90% books marked A; 70% books marked B; 50% books marked C; 30% books marked D

WIS

Side Quest: Knitting

Knit at least 10 rows on my scarf every week.

10 rows A; 8 rows B; 6 rows C; 4 rows D

It's better to succeed at one or two or three things than to fail at four things. Nothing to be ashamed of. You end up sticking around and hanging with the Monks, you'll find one of our mottoes is "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome." Things rarely go smooth or as we want them to, so you gotta figure out what you want to do and make it happen whatever the cost. Sometimes, that means goals get put on the wayside. But some leveling up is better than none, right?

Speaking of joining the Monks! We have this optional Side Quest line thing going on where we help Level 1 Rebels learn the ropes of this place... but I get the feeling that you're not exactly a noob. I wouldn't want to be condescending or anything like that; but I would want you to know that you're welcome to join us once the challenge is over. Prove yourself to yourself here, and heck: you can join whichever you want. :)

I'll be rooting for you in the meantime over here. Good luck!

It's better to succeed at one or two or three things than to fail at four things. Nothing to be ashamed of. You end up sticking around and hanging with the Monks, you'll find one of our mottoes is "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome." Things rarely go smooth or as we want them to, so you gotta figure out what you want to do and make it happen whatever the cost. Sometimes, that means goals get put on the wayside. But some leveling up is better than none, right?

Speaking of joining the Monks! We have this optional Side Quest line thing going on where we help Level 1 Rebels learn the ropes of this place... but I get the feeling that you're not exactly a noob. I wouldn't want to be condescending or anything like that; but I would want you to know that you're welcome to join us once the challenge is over. Prove yourself to yourself here, and heck: you can join whichever you want. :)

I'll be rooting for you in the meantime over here. Good luck!

Thanks Kishi! I'll check out the challenge!

This week was mediocre, but I call today a SUCCESS.

1. Marked the essays the kids gave in before Christmas.
  2. Went to the gym!

Goal 1

Grade C

Didn't do Stronglifts because I know I'm not strong enough. However, did 2 circuits of BBWW, and will look to build up to SL by the end of the challenge.

Life Quest

Grade D-

I've got a sh*t-ton of books still to mark, but I did the essays today!

Side Quest

Grade A!

Knitted them all yesterday and didn't make any mistakes!

Conclusion: After a rocky start, I feel like I've finished this week in a good place, ready to take on the rest of the challenge. (Can you tell I've just come back from the gym? Endorphins ftw!!)

Goal 1

Grade B

Bodyweight sessions at the gym and I'm getting some DOMS, so it's clearly working. Oh, and I also did a plank for 60 seconds!

Life Quest

Grade C-

Parents' Evening is the mother of all motivators. :(

Side Quest

Grade F

Nada; instead of knitting on Saturday, I played Rummikub with the family, which I consider time well spent.

Went to the gym yesterday morning. I like coming to work feeling like I've done a work out whilst they've been fast asleep. Now I have DOMS in my thighs from squats. Blegh.

Need to check the form for barbell rows; I know mine was wrong, and I find them awkward. But good for my piddly arms, so must persevere.

Starting to transition to vegetarian-primal again. Bring on the carb flu.

So this week I really knuckled down, stopped making excuses, and result! Well, at least on the gym-front.

A!

... D+ (Blegh Geography books :hopelessness:)

F (Finding the impetus to knit is hard when I'm using my motivation to get up at 5am and go to the gym! ... My excuses are weaksauce.)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines