Defining Super Destroyer

Here we are, challenge number 3, and the 1st for 2014 This is going to sound like a repeat in many ways, but I am not just cutting and pasting. I am finishing up my holiday challenge on Sunday, and Monday I will weigh in to see how I did. My main goal was to lose 5 lbs. during this last 2 1/2 week period that I was off from work. (I teach) UPDATE: Just went and weighed, I am down to 219.5! That is only down 2.5 since 12/23, but woo hoo! I am under 220!

I have just taken off the last fifteen days from SL5x5 with a sore right shoulder. Happy to report that the rest and rehab have left my shoulder much better. I am starting back next Tuesday where I left off, but dropping down 10-20 lbs on the lifts. I stalled on 90 on the overhead, so I am starting back at 70 there. That way I will not hit 90 again for a couple more weeks, hopefully allowing complete recovery. I had stalled twice at 140 on squats, deloaded and built back to 135 before the break. I will start back there at 125. Everything else will start 10 lbs below my last lift.

Main Quest: To continue strength training and losing weight, now as a a zombie slaying warrior known as Super Destroyer.

How I Will Do This: 5 x 5 strong lifts

Paleo lifestyle

Fitness Side Goals: 160 squat, 255 dead lift, and 160 bench press by 2/16

Run 3 consecutive miles by 2/16

Vanity Side Goal: Be down to 214 by the end of the challenge. This will put me at a loss of 100 lbs in 40 weeks.

Scoring System: Strong lifts 3 days a week 25-27 for an A

Paleo 7 days a week 40-45 an A

I have decided to keep this challenge very simple; lose weight and get stronger. The running part is just a little extra I am doing as an endurance challenge.

Good luck to everyone on your challenge, and Happy New Year!

100 pounds. Great going man.  My problem was when I watched my weight I would get discouraged every time I didn't drop down a bunch of weight so I just nixed it.  100 pounds is an awesome benchmark.  Good luck.

Great work!  Thanks for staying with it.  And you do look very dapper in your profile picture.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

WOW!!! 100 pounds is HUGE!!! I can't wait to see how you do in the next few weeks!!! You're gonna rock it!!  :biggrin-new:

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Ongoing Battle Log: My Quest for PRs and Endorphins

Day 1: Ate 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon before heading out to the gym at 6:15am. I did my first lifting in 2 and 1/2 weeks, and felt a little weak. I am chalking it up to eating at a deficit and not lifting for a while. (And not stretching enough during that time, either) I stretched pretty good beforehand. I dropped back to 125 on the squats. I videoed 3 of the sets and was not impressed with the depth. Very inconsistent. I dropped back to 125 on the bench press and got through it fine. 100 on the barbell row also was okay. Ate two thin slices of pork loin and the rest of the sweet potato after my workout, around 8am. Got another thicker slice of pork loin and mixed vegetables for lunch, (cabbage, carrots, and squash). (I bought several pork loins on sale for 1/2 price, so pork loin will be a recurring theme)

One thing that I really need to do is work on my shoulder mobility. Even reaching back to squat left me sore today. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Hope everyone else has a great first day!

One thing that I really need to do is work on my shoulder mobility. Even reaching back to squat left me sore today. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Hope everyone else has a great first day!

Hey there my friend! As far as shoulder mobility goes - try doing a few rounds of big, controlled "windmills" in both directions - forwards and backwards - a few times a day plus lots of stretching. You might feel silly doing it, but after a few weeks you'll start to notice greater flexibility in your shoulder and rotator cuff muscles  :joyous:

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Thanks! I am really tired of my shoulders aching.

Totally understandable! Hopefully increasing your flexibility will help with those squats!

I cannot get going 6:15 or 8am. Respect.

No will power at all in early morning.

Looks like you are getting a good start.

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

Thanks! I hate to jinx myself, but for the last 34 weeks, I have lost at least 1 pound per week. I have been able to continuously go down without ever counting calories. It seems to be all about what you eat and being consistent. (And blood, sweat, and tears) One thing that has helped me is to log everything I eat and all my workouts.

I feel the same way.  With the weight I have lost, and not having to count calories.  

You are doing great, and hopefully the shoulder plays nice!

Awesome job so far! You are an inspiration!

I teach too and have been sitting at home over this break trying not to eat junk. I'm looking forward to getting back into the routine this week. It makes it easy to plan and bring my food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.†― Henry Ford

Epic Quest

First Challenge          Second Challenge         Third Challenge

Thanks, guys. I found some shoulder mobility exercises that I am going to try daily that are supposed to help. Had a hamburger patty with squash, cabbage, and carrots for dinner. Now if I can avoid the munchies, stretch, and do the shoulder exercises, it will be an awesome start!

I don't suppose you could share those exercises when you have time, hmm? :)  I think it would be good for me to incorporate some of that into my shoulder rehabbing.

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

I don't suppose you could share those exercises when you have time, hmm? :)  I think it would be good for me to incorporate some of that into my shoulder rehabbing.

Same.  Glad to hear the shoulder is doing better. When I was doing tire pushups I felt like I did something to my shoulder a couple months ago and I had to just stop doing pushups for a bit.  It'd be nice to have the info in case next time it happens again.

Great job so far man.

Thanks guys!  Here is the article that I got the shoulder exercises from.  http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-improve-shoulder-flexibility-and-mobility/

I am am going to do the shoulder dislocations, the around the world, and the doorway stretch tonight.  The article says to do these twice a week. Hope they help.

Zak, I had not tried shoulder dislocations but they are on my to do list now.  Thanks!

MsFitz, I was off work today and I am definitely ready to get back in the swing of things. I miss my schedule as well.

Today has been a good one so far.  I had 4 over easy eggs in bacon grease for breakfast.  Lunch was an apple and tuna salad.  I used two cans of tuna, some broccoli slaw, (shredded broccoli, cabbage, and carrots), and mixed it with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and mustard.  It was great and the slaw gave it a nice crunch.  Might add a little apple next time.  Dinner will be pork loin with sauteed spinach.  

Tomorrow is my next workout.  I am super sore right now in my hips and quads, so hope it is better by tomorrow!  Hope everyone has a great day 2!

Damn DOMS! Please remind me of how sore I am right now, just in case I ever mention taking time off from squatting again!

Day 2 did not end quite as well as I had hoped for. Wife made sausage balls and broccoli soup. The sausage balls had cheese and Bisquick, and I ate 4. The soup had heavy cream and milk, and a little flour, and I ate two bowls. AND I ate two pieces of beef that were marinated and cooked with pineapple juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce. Day 2 cannot be counted as paleo, so that was a fail.

I did a little of the shoulder stuff, but I plan to do some more during the day. I could not keep my forearms and hands on the wall during wall extensions, and I could not make it all the way around on shoulder dislocations. I did around the world with a 25 lb. dumbbell. I liked that one the best. I am definitely tight in my rotators, so I believe these will help.

Ate 3 over-easy eggs in coconut oil for breakfast and I am doing the tuna salad again for lunch. I have 1/2 a sweet potato for about 3:15, (pre-workout), and the other half with a slice of pork loin for right after I workout. I plan on maybe chicken and spinach for dinner.

Workout today will be squats at 130 lbs, OHP at 70, and dead lifts at 185. I dropped way back on overhead, so I won't hit 90, (where I stalled twice), until Monday after next. Hopefully I will be able to do it then.

Hope everyone has an excellent day 3!

So I have a question about DOMS.  Does it happen when you take a break from exercising?  Because I hear people talk about DOMS all the time and I've never felt anything like that- even if I bust my ass in my workouts.

So I have a question about DOMS.  Does it happen when you take a break from exercising?  Because I hear people talk about DOMS all the time and I've never felt anything like that- even if I bust my ass in my workouts.

Hey Terosx - DOMS can happen any time you expose your muscles & body to exercise that it isn't used to - mainly eccentric exercises (lengthening of the muscles - i.e. a squat lengthens the glutes & quads which is why your thighs & butt can be sore after a heavy workout). It usually shows up any time within 72 hours after the exercise, so taking a break from exercising isn't really necessary - its gonna show up regardless. The soreness is actually small micro-tears in your muscle fibers. When it heals (i.e. DOMS goes away), the muscle can be stronger & bigger than it was before.

Depending on your level of flexibility, you might not get DOMS like other people as your muscles will lengthen better than those with less flexibility. Also, if you're an active person your body might heal faster than others. Personally, I rarely get DOMS - if I do its usually about 1-2 days after the workout and its slight because I'm fairly active. When you have DOMS, a brisk walk (or something else to get your blood flowing) will often alleviate the symptoms of DOMS, which - if you're an active person - could be another reason why you haven't experienced it much. 

Also, if you tend to do more isometric (no movement, just resistance) or concentric (shortening) exercises, which don't involve muscle lengthening, you really won't see DOMS at all as the muscle wasn't stretched/lengthened. Common shortening exercises are things like bicep curls - just imagine your bicep is getting smaller during the movement, not longer - which is why you won't experience DOMS from a bicep curl

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation, stardust. The worst I have had it since I started lifting was after the first time I squatted, (with only the bar: 45lbs), and now. I figured it was because of the down time. And it is my quads and glutes that hurt worst. (Sitting down on the toilet last night was painful) However, it did go away by the next workout, and it was not recurring for me. It is already better than last night.

Thanks for the explanation, stardust. The worst I have had it since I started lifting was after the first time I squatted, (with only the bar: 45lbs), and now. I figured it was because of the down time. And it is my quads and glutes that hurt worst. (Sitting down on the toilet last night was painful) However, it did go away by the next workout, and it was not recurring for me. It is already better than last night.

Yeah you'll find that if you move again & get your blood flowing - the DOMS will go away on its own - so exercising again usually helps a lot. I'm glad that you're getting better! Most likely its because you haven't lifted in a while, that will start to go away once you're back in the groove of lifting. DOMS is a yucky thing, but enjoy it because its a sign your body is getting stronger  :joyous:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines