AgentsSka :: Quest for Spartan Strength Continues

AgentsSka

First post is copy and pasted from last challenge thread to define the main quest that I am.  Goals for this challenge can be found a bit down the page.

Quest for Spartan Strength

I have always identified with being a runner. I grew up a runner. I got away from running and allowed life to consume me. I became soft. I put on weight. I got reeeal slow.

For the majority of 2013, I have been focused on reclaiming my body and my athleticism. I set the goal to become a member of the 2013 Spartan Trifecta Tribe. And, I completed that goal last challenge period.

As we close out 2013, I'm starting to prepare my performance goals for 2014. And, as I put them together, one thing becomes clear. I want and need to be stronger.

When people think about runners, they don't think "strong." They think of the skinny/lean marathon type. Well, I want to be a strong runner. I want to lift more than I am currently able to. I want to hit obstacles at Spartans and complete them faster because I am stronger. When my legs tire on a run, I want to be able to focus on my arms and know that they have the strength to continue to propel me forward.

This doesn't mean that I am looking to change my body type. I am not focused on any vain reasons for getting stronger.

I need to get stronger to perform better.

Since, I am a Spartan Ranger, I believe a great measuring tool of my strength-level can be the Spartan 300 Workout.

25 Pull-ups
50 Deadlift at 135 lbs.
50 Push-ups
50 24" Box Jumps
50 Floor Wipers at 135 lbs.
50 Kettlebell Clean and press with 36 lbs KB (25 each arm)
25 Pull-ups

Main Quest Goal: Complete the Spartan 300 Workout in under 30 mins

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

FIST.

FIFY.

+subbed.  Us thunder  spartan bracelet buddies need to stick together!

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

These will be tweaked a bit before the challenge goes live.... but, for the moment, here' the base outline of my challenge.

spartan_warrior.jpg

Challenge Goals

1.  Strong Lifts 3x per week.  5/6 weeks of the challenge.  +3 STR

I started the Strong Lifts 5x5 program last challenge.  It has been going well, and is now really starting to feel like a workout each time.  My goal is to continue building my base strength with this program.  I'm saying 5/6 weeks of the challenge because I have a travel week occurring during this challenge.  I have no idea what kind of gym will be at the place I am staying at.  I have a feeling it will be typical hotel gym - which means no barbells.

2.  Run, baby, run!  +3 STA, +1 CON

I need to build my mileage and begin concentrating on improving my pace per mile.  I don't currently have any race plans during the challenge period.  However, that could change at any moment.  But, these next few months will be integral in setting the ground work for the races the rest of the year.  Lay the groundwork.  Put in the miles.  Get on the track.  Run hills, stadiums, and trails, and anything else that gets in your way.  (I'm in the process of setting up my running plan for the next 6 weeks.  I'll update when appropriate.)

3.  Complete 15 Strict Pull-Ups in a set.  +1 STR, +2 DEX, +1 CHA

I've been working on pull-ups with the 20 Pull Ups App, and it's been going mediocre.  I feel like I've stalled.  Several challenges ago, I made it a goal to do 10 pull-ups.  I nailed it.  And, then I slacked on training them.  Last tested, I could do 7-8 in a go.  It's crap and it's my weakest link when it comes to completing the 300 challenge.  Time to fix that bull-shit.

Life Goal - Productivity Ninja  +2 WIS, +2 CON

1.  Finish development on version 1 of my Training Database.  This was a goal of mine a few challenges ago.  I never did it.  I started development on it over the weekend.  I need to finish it up so it is fully functional/useful.

2.  Finish development on version 1 of work project.  Project that has been lingering and hanging.  Need to get it wrapped up.  NOW.

3.  Get back to OmniFocus.  I am more focused when I am tracking what I need to accomplish and checking it off the to do list.  I lost track of that a bit.  Time to make it a real habit.

Arrooo!

Nice goals! Subbed for upcoming awesomeness!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

FIRST.

Wow!  I really feel like I made it on the internets now.  That is my first time receiving a "First!" post.  I can die happy now.

Okay, but seriously... I would wonder twin Brofist you if I could add gifs from my phone.

Fist bump!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cline approves?

FIFY.

+subbed.  Us thunder  spartan bracelet buddies need to stick together!

Hell yeah!

Spartan workout sounds like a great challenge.  I might have to try it :)

Good luck with your Spartan quest!

Gracias, señor.

Mmmm, love me some StrongLifts!

You eat that shit for breakfast too?

Nice goals! Subbed for upcoming awesomeness!

Thanks, man!

Going to follow because this looks so hard ... and something that looks like it'd be awesome to do at the same time.

Because it is difficult, it is worth doing.

Can I add to your goals?

Please always keep us updated on the awesome of the November project. I love those stories. I really do. Oh and pants tin man....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Ha-bloody-ha.  Sodding colonials.

:)

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Post card?

post card :)

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

I have no idea what half this thread means, yet I feel I identify with it. I truly identify with how the perception of a runner is skinny.

We totally need to change that.

Subbed for upcoming awesomeness.

Level 6 Pirate-Ninja Ranger

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. Don’t complain.†~Maya Angelou

(STR - 12) (DEX - 8) (STA - 12) (CON - 14) (WIS - 12) (CHA - 8)

CHALLENGE 6: Neph Arrives fashionably late.

Bawhahahahaha!  Couldn't resist!

Hopefully it fits!

It does fit but me being the delicate flower that I am, I either need to wash it or get soaked in a lake in it before it'll be comfortable.  For reasons outlined I can't wear it as an outer layer but I will be wearing it as a base layer for at least Tough Guy, Nuts Challenge 28k and the Spartan Beast.  That awesome enough for ya?

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Can I add to your goals?

Please always keep us updated on the awesome of the November project. I love those stories. I really do. Oh and pants tin man....

Oh come on.  That doesn't need to be a goal.  I talk about November Project ad nauseam!

I have no idea what half this thread means, yet I feel I identify with it. I truly identify with how the perception of a runner is skinny.

We totally need to change that.

Subbed for upcoming awesomeness.

I don't have a problem with skinny runners.  I just want to be and look like a strong runner.  Currently, I don't look like much of... well, anything.  :)

And... to fill in the blanks.  

November Project is just fucking awesome!  And, we do awesome things.

And, I recently sent Maledictus some renegade Nerd Fitness gear.  In the package, I included a post card featuring this beauty:

old-ironsides-sails-again.jpg

That would be the USS Constitution, otherwise known as "Old Ironsides."  It only seemed natural for an American to send such a card across the pond.

It does fit but me being the delicate flower that I am, I either need to wash it or get soaked in a lake in it before it'll be comfortable.  For reasons outlined I can't wear it as an outer layer but I will be wearing it as a base layer for at least Tough Guy, Nuts Challenge 28k and the Spartan Beast.  That awesome enough for ya?

I still don't quite understand the political ramifications of the NF logo in the UK.  And, can't believe the shirt needs to be washed to be comfy, but yes... your race schedule is awesome.  We need to do one together before your retirement.

Subbed for the awesome goals and the awesomeness of the November project! I love StrongLifts; it's what got me to good enough shape that I felt like I wouldn't die starting CrossFit (when I found out there was CrossFit in my town). The structure of that last sentence bothers me, but I'm too lazy to fix it. 

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

Subbed, to witness the crazy.

Also, I feel like you're going to get a kick out of one of my challenges this round...

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Training Update - 01.05.14

Strong Lifts workout. Given that this was the day after a race, I say it went swimmingly.

Squat

10x45

5x115

5x155

5x5x175 <- didn't post my last couple of SL workouts.... But, finally squatting above BW.

Bench

10x65

10x95

5x125

5x5x140

Rows

10x65

5x95

5x5x115

Subbed to witness the crazy-awesome. ;)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Subbed for the awesome goals and the awesomeness of the November project! I love StrongLifts; it's what got me to good enough shape that I felt like I wouldn't die starting CrossFit (when I found out there was CrossFit in my town). The structure of that last sentence bothers me, but I'm too lazy to fix it. 

Thanks.  Strong Lifts is going well.  I'm digging it.

Snazzy new avatar!

Subbed, to witness the crazy.

Also, I feel like you're going to get a kick out of one of my challenges this round...

I'm sure there is a good pun response to me getting a kick out of one of your challenge goals - given your martial arts experience... but, it's not coming to me.

And, I'll bring the crazy!

wooooo

Sup.

Subbed to witness the crazy-awesome. ;)

Aww... I see what you did there.  :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines