Rabbi Saunters Up to Bar

A rabbi saunters up to the bar and gives it a chest-bump...

Goal: 10 unbroken chest-to-bar pull-ups.

Scoring: At the end of the quest, I will do one maximal set of chest-to-bar pull-ups. 2 points will be awarded for every pull-up starting with #6 -- so 6 is worth 2, 7 is worth 4, etc. This goal is worth 10 points, so more than 10 pull-ups is extra credit.

Currently can do 17 kipping pull-ups, but haven't done any chest-to-bars. In WODs, I always scale to regular pull-ups, and it's time to up my game.

Supporting goals, worth 6 points each (1 point per week):

• practice weekly by doing two maximum chest-to-bar sets, in either one or two sessions
  • weekly max set of strict L-pull-ups -- to develop strength
  • weekly 10 minutes of overhead mobility -- which helps my kip and shoulder range and thereby makes pull-ups easier

Supporting life goals: continue to eat right, keep my weight below 175, continue to train 4-5x / week. These are now part of my baseline and thus aren't worth extra points.

Grading: points will be totaled and divided by 28, the total number of available points.

• A+ -- over 100%
  • A -- 91-100%
  • B -- 81-90%
  • etc.

Week 1 is on! Good start, I did c2b sets yesterday and today after my WOD. Got 5 yesterday and today. They're a lot harder than regular pull-ups!

Week 1 summary:

• 2 max sets of c2b pull-ups: done! 5 on Tuesday, 6 on Wednesday
  • 1 set of L-pull-ups: done! Got 7 on Thursday.
  • 10 minutes of shoulder mobility work: done! Did 5 minutes on Wednesday and 5 minutes yesterday.

Points awarded for week 1: 3 points.

Week 2:
Tuesday: 1 set of 7 c2b today. I need to improve my kip -- Kip more, pull less. Right now I'm getting c2b via a second pull after my chin is over the bar rather than in one smooth motion from the kip.
Did my mobility work for the week yesterday and today, it's helping!

Wednesday: 2 sets of L-pull-ups, 6+4

Friday: 2 awful sets of c2b, 4+2. Note to self: you can do pull-ups after heavy deadlifts!

Points awarded for week 2: 3 points.

Just something I've wondered, why do kips rather than pull-ups?

It's a fair question -- depends on your goals. Strict pull-ups are all about strength; kipping pull-ups are all about power. Depends on which one you want to develop.

Strength = the ability to apply a large amount of force, either statically or dynamically

Power = the ability to apply force quickly through a dynamic range

Think of the difference between a heavy squat vs. a clean...

Week 3 is on!

• Sunday: 7 c2b pull-ups, 4 minutes of mobility.
  • Monday: lots of pull-ups (85) in the WOD today, so no additional training. 1 minute of mobility.
  • Tuesday: c2b in the WOD! Max set of L-pull-ups at the end -- just got 4 post-WOD. :-(
  • Wednesday: WOD had lots of t2b, so lats were tanked; no additional pull-up work. Mobility.
  • Thursday: mobility
  • Friday: 50 pull-ups in the WOD, so no additional pull-up work. Mobility.

Points for Week 3: 2.5 points this week.

Total earned points so far: 8.5/9

It's a fair question -- depends on your goals. Strict pull-ups are all about strength; kipping pull-ups are all about power. Depends on which one you want to develop.

Strength = the ability to apply a large amount of force, either statically or dynamically

Power = the ability to apply force quickly through a dynamic range

Think of the difference between a heavy squat vs. a clean...

Makes sense. What other movements can be benefited by kip-ups? (One of my goals is to be able to do a muscle-up one day, and I'm still figuring out the best way to train for that)

Makes sense. What other movements can be benefited by kip-ups? (One of my goals is to be able to do a muscle-up one day, and I'm still figuring out the best way to train for that)

Lots! You can do kipping handstand push-ups, kipping dips, even kipping push-ups (though many people draw the line and derisively call those "worm ups"). If your goal is to a muscle-up, you're going to need explosive upper-body strength. Train:

* pull-ups -- both kipping and strict chest-to-bars

* dips and ring dips, both kipping and strict

* plyometric push-ups

You're also going to need lots of core strength. Train:

* hollow-rocks

* superman-rocks

* explosive bar kips to your hips

Good luck!

Week 4! Bring it on!

• Sunday: mobility. After working on mobility so diligently, my shoulders definitely get closer to end-range overhead. One set of c2b: 5 reps, missed #6 and dropped.
  • Monday: L-pull-ups, got 5. Mobility.
  • Tuesday: c2b in the WOD, 7 rounds of 4. I went unbroken in the first two rounds. Round 3 I missed the 4th rep. Went 2-2 in rounds 4 and 5, then 2-1-1 in 6 and 7. Amazing how much harder these are compared to regular pull-ups!
  • Wednesday: 55 toes-to-bar in the WOD today, so only mobility work, no pull-ups.
  • Thursday: nada.
  • Friday: 100 pull-ups in the WOD. c2b practice was a futile effort after that!

Points for Week 4: 3 points this week.

Total earned points so far: 11.5/12

I might have to add kipping pull-ups to help with climbing.

I think they'll definitely help -- in my limited rock-climbing experience, you definitely get to swing your legs and dynamically pull yourself up some of the time. Of course, you need strict strength too -- I recall pulling myself up a sheer rockface as well, and in such circumstances, you have no room to kip.

True.  I am working on bouldering right now and most of the moves are more dynamic right now than just pure strength.  Though I am noticing I need stronger core muscles also.  When hanging upside down, if you don't keep the core tight, it is not going to go well...

I am working on bouldering right now and most of the moves are more dynamic right now than just pure strength.  Though I am noticing I need stronger core muscles also.  When hanging upside down, if you don't keep the core tight, it is not going to go well...

Proper kipping is a core exercise and will certainly strengthen your core. I must say, the best core exercises I found? Dead lift, squats, clean and jerk!

Especially front squats--whether with a bar, or goblet squats with a kettlebell. The whole balancing thing is totally different. I really enjoy back squats more, but front squats I feel in my abs almost more than in my legs. And always deadlift, because it makes you feel awesome.

Week 5 is not off to a good start. :grumpy:

• Sunday: mobility, no WOD
  • Monday: snowed in! Will WOD at home, but it's gonna be hard to get pull-ups in such a cold garage, plus I have to keep the cars inside. Mobility.
  • Tuesday: did 5 c2b as part of warm-up today. Mobility.
  • Wednesday: snowed in... again!
  • Thursday: 55 pull-ups in the WOD today. Definitely getting stronger. Mobility.
  • Friday: did 10 c2b today (2-3-3-2) + L-pull-ups + mobility.

That's 3 points this week.

Current total 14/15.