• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jimbo

Newbie Paleo Resources

Stickied.

Agreed on not overloading the list but I would like to recommend beginner cookbooks.

Well Fed 1 and Well Fed 2 are hands down the best.

Also, It Starts With Food is the best intro to paleo there is.

• Like 2

Stickied. Agreed on not overloading the list but I would like to recommend beginner cookbooks. Well Fed 1 and Well Fed 2 are hands down the best. Also, It Starts With Food is the best intro to paleo there is.

I was just wondering if there was a good paleo cookbook. I'm starting today and foresee getting bored after a week of just meat and veggies if I don't get creative...

• Like 1

I was just wondering if there was a good paleo cookbook. I'm starting today and foresee getting bored after a week of just meat and veggies if I don't get creative...

I would recommend Well Fed 1 & 2 over anything else as has been said. I'm in love with those books and have made almost every recipe. They're very simple. However, if you're looking to be more creative, but still want hearty, clean paleo food, try Nom Nom Paleo. She also has a fantastic cookbook that I've already used several times even though it's only a month old.

• Like 2

You know, I've been thinking about this. I don't think Steve's Paleo post is relevant anymore. It's 3 years old and there's about a dozen little things on it I would change. I think the best intro is going to be Whole 30 actually.

Whole30 is too extreme for newbies who need to transition more gradually.

Maybe Steve would revise his article if you shared your thoughts with him.

I disagree. I think it works better for some people and less for others. It depends on the person.

And yeah, Steve knows. :)

I'm just voicing my opinion so people who come by and read this thread can find what works for them. :)

Just purchased the physical copies of Well Fed 1 & 2 and It Starts with Food. I had the digital print of two of them but...I need to touch things sometimes to get the point across. I'm looking to do 80/20 Paleo and maybe go for the whole shebangabang one day. We shall see.

Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

I disagree. I think it works better for some people and less for others. It depends on the person.

And yeah, Steve knows. :)

I'm just voicing my opinion so people who come by and read this thread can find what works for them. :)

I'm with you on that, Loren. I am more of a jump head first into the freezing cold water instead of prolonging the inevitable. Eating style changes really suck at first because of the cravings, but if you can get past the first few days your pallet will usually adjust (at least mine does).

For example I used to drink a lot of sweetened beverages, and then switched to pure water for a month. The first week, water tasted beyond plain and my liquid intake skyrocketed just to satisfy my thirst. After that though I was accustomed to it well enough, and after a month I tried the sweet beverages again, and found I didn't really like them as much. The human body and mind is amazing in that respect.

Just googling "paleo recipes" is a great start. You have to have a good idea of what you're looking for, but it jumpstarts the learning curve.

Just googling "paleo recipes" is a great start. You have to have a good idea of what you're looking for, but it jumpstarts the learning curve.

Just be careful with that method. Sometimes they're not so paleo.

Here are my top resources for new "Paleo" people 

Books

The Paleo Coach- Jason Seib

The Paleo Solution- Robb Wolf

Primal Body Primal Mind- Nora Gedgaudas

Cookbooks

Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook- Sarah Fragoso

Paleo on a Budget- Elizabeth McGaw

Podcasts:

The Paleo Solution Podcast

Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness Podcast 

Websites:

Mark's Daily Apple http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz34GBn9kfb

Paleo Hacks http://paleohacks.com/

And Finally

Magazines:

Plaeo Magazine: Modern Day Primal Living 

• Like 2

Question about kombucha.  Being it is a fermented tea and has some alcohol, does it classify as an alcohol to be avoided under diet guidelines for a paleo diet / whole 30?

Just something that dawned on me as I was reading.  

depends how picky you want to be. offhand I would class kombucha as better than juice (too sugary) or beer (made with grains) but worse than plain tea (which contains no sugar or alcohol).

Probably not okay on Whole30 since alcohol is forbidden, but if you're just doing regular paleo, you could give it a try and see how you feel.

Thanks for the input, I have found that I like Kombucha, but not to the point where I have to have it.  Good to know where it lands in terms of Paleo diet.

So for a follow up question and to keep this discussion going.

Is there an ideal protein supplement that fits into the Paleo diet?  Or better to eat the amount of protein that you should intake each day?

Thanks for the input, I have found that I like Kombucha, but not to the point where I have to have it.  Good to know where it lands in terms of Paleo diet.

So for a follow up question and to keep this discussion going.

Is there an ideal protein supplement that fits into the Paleo diet?  Or better to eat the amount of protein that you should intake each day?

by paleo logic, it's better to just eat your protein.  Cavemen didn't have whey powder, did they?

Anyone familiar with Mark's Daily Apple is aware that he espouses the 80/20 principle concerning nutrition.  Following the Paleo/Primal plan 80% of the time will keep you more sane than imposing strict restrictions on yourself.  Definitely have to weigh in behind his books and website as an excellent new Paleo resource.  Tons of articles and a forum full of like-minded folks.

Whey powder is not strictly Paleo because it is derived from a dairy source.  There are several plant or nut-based protein powders available but these are generally prohibitively expensive in my experience.  I personally toe the line between Paleo and Primal and have accepted and embraced the miracle of whey isolate because the benefits far outweigh the detriments in my eyes.

I eat whole foods 90ish% of the time but I love my protein shakes around my workouts or as a bedtime snack.  Call it a treat or call it a supplement but it's in my meal plan to stay.

• Like 1

I'm another that will disagree with this. Whole30 made it extremely easy for me to adopt paleo as it gave me a complete set of rules + structure, a reasonable time frame in which to reset my body and cravings, and a set of tools to learn how to eat post-Whole30. I have been on NF for a long time, but I never would have adopted paleo without Whole30 to get me there as I found it far too intimidating. 

Hmmm. I'm surprised I said that. On further reflection, I was ambiguous. I did not mean that whole30 is always too extreme for all newbies. Rather, what I meant was that for some newbies - i.e. those who may need to transition more slowly - it may be too extreme. I'm not suggesting that newbies should avoid whole30.