W3:D2

Well, this was a rough day. Shoulders started being wonky after switching to the snatch portion. Left without squatting because I was beat and was already encroaching on 2 hours under the bar. 

Clean and Jerk 5x1 @ 80-90%

Went a little heavier than I was supposed to here, they just felt good, so I went up to about 95-97%. Got a video or two of them as well:

235#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPW_Djzo9jw

245#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFMIbCumFrM

Clean Pulls 4x2 @ 315x2, 335x2

Hang Snatch 135 x2, 145 x2, 155x3

Snatch Balance 135x3, 155 2x1, 165 2x1, 185... on my ass

Called it a day after trying to take 185 on the SB. That didn't work out too well, figured I'd just do some mobility and head home. 

Sitting down to a 4 egg scramble with 2 squash, a head of brocolli, and 1/3# of bacon. Nom. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

NIce, I am jealous of your jerks - my single weakest lift. 

I totally revamped it about 6 months ago. Switched my lead foot, widened my stance by about 2-3" a side, and re-learned how to dip drive. It's made a big difference. I've rack jerked up to 275 before, just need to learn to get under my cleans faster. I've got the height, easily, I'm just so slow that I end up catching in a quarter squat and riding it down. Wish I could catch in the hole. 

Switched my lead foot

whaaaaaat-o.gif

Srsly, I can't even.

I've got the height, easily, I'm just so slow that I end up catching in a quarter squat and riding it down. Wish I could catch in the hole.

Hmm, couple of thoughts here.  First of all, there's nothing wrong with catching it a little higher and riding it down.  I mean, right? You don't actually want to catch it all the way in the hole, because then you don't have anything to bounce out with.  I suppose this is less of an issue for you right now since your squat is so much stronger than your clean, but when it catches up, you don't want to get stapled down there.  Also, I'm not sure slow is the right word for what's going on.  There's a little hitch in your giddyup where it's like you try to stick it as a power clean and then ride it down. Obviously that means you are slower getting to the bottom, but it's not like you are slow on the initial retreat from the hip extension.  Maybe drill dirty dancing a little bit, where you focus on getting all the way down?  Or some tall cleans maybe?  IANAC of course, but it seems like those might help.

Anyway, lifts are looking great man.  Mucho strongitude.

I totally revamped it about 6 months ago. Switched my lead foot, widened my stance by about 2-3" a side, and re-learned how to dip drive. It's made a big difference. I've rack jerked up to 275 before, just need to learn to get under my cleans faster. I've got the height, easily, I'm just so slow that I end up catching in a quarter squat and riding it down. Wish I could catch in the hole. 

This is kinda where I'm at with the jerk right now, basically going to go back to basics and re-learn to dip and drive. My confidence with the jerk is pretty low so even though I've successfully jerked 100kg and narrowly missed 102.5 a bunch of times, I miss or mangle 80%-90% weights all the time. I've got a fairly good split, my main issue is comign up on my toes, putting the bar forward and not finishing the drive.

I'd love to squat jerk because due to an old knee injury the split jerk is kinda a funny one for me but I don't really have the thoracic mobility. I have to take a crazy wide grip to squat jerk the bar when warming up - pinkes about an inch away from the rings.

Squat jerks kill me. I can push jerk like 80%, but squat jerk would end up like a narrow grip snatch balance... and as we can see from my notes last night, I'd fall over with about 70% of my clean.

Roo, I ran a couple weeks of starting my days with dirty dancing a few months back and it did wonders for getting me to where I am now. Guess I need to focus a bit more on it. 

Or there's always Kendrick Farris...

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

What made you decide to switch your lead foot?

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

What made you decide to switch your lead foot?

I was never entirely okay with the idea of "if it's your dominant foot, you should step forward with it." I was reading Bob Takano's blog and he talked a lot about getting the back foot down first and then pushing off of it to drive forward into the bar... that seemed a lot easier to do with my dominant foot. I made the switch and it all just came together a lot better. 

Interesting, I shall look into this. My split jerk is relatively terrible, so it can't hurt.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

W3:D3

Singles Day. 

Snatch : 115x3, 135x2, 155x2, 165, 175, 185, 165x2

C&J : 155x3, 175x2, 195x2, 215, 230, 255, 225x2

Front Squat : 275 2x1

Took some video from the front, wanted to see how off balance I am. Not that I think I am or can feel it or anything... I just assume there are. Everyone is off in their own ways. I obviously am, from watching the videos. My right hip opens a shit ton more than my left in my catch. Check the save on the jerk, my back foot slipped and I had to scramble to save it. Also, the snatch went deeper into my heels than usual and had to step back to save that one. Not two of my pretties lifts.. and bother are at about 95%+ of my starting best lifts, for this cycle. 

Sorry for the potato quality. 

C&J @ 255

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovtXPJzchl4

Snatch @ 185

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJZhjTvSh60

Snatches look so fun, I've decided I want to learn them. Where do I start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Snatches look so fun

True facts.

I've decided I want to learn them. Where do I start?

The Cal Strength Videos are a good place to start. And of course all of the other links that J rounded up. But if you can swing it, I'd try and find a local barbell club or crossfit gym that will let you pay on a drop-in basis. Some hands-on coaching when you are first learning to snatch is really invaluable.

True facts.

The Cal Strength Videos are a good place to start. And of course all of the other links that J rounded up. But if you can swing it, I'd try and find a local barbell club or crossfit gym that will let you pay on a drop-in basis. Some hands-on coaching when you are first learning to snatch is really invaluable.

Can't get in the gym that's located in my garage and the baby isn't even here yet. I'll try the cal strength videos, I guessed that was the direction I'd be pointed. They helped a tone with cleans.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You  have a body like Spencer... you should just copy everything he does. 

W4:D1

This is actually the only day I'll get in the gym before max out Saturday... it was a quick high intensity session. Was in and out in under an hour, so I went and did the CF class afterwards, because that seemed like a good idea. 

Snatch : 80% 2x1, 85%, 90%. 

155 2x1, 165, 180

Clean and Jerk : 80% 2x1, 85%, 90%

205 2x1, 225, 240

Clean Pull : 2x2 @ 240

Squats : 5x5 @ 275-295

100 Burpees for time in 7:20

Can't get in the gym that's located in my garage and the baby isn't even here yet. I'll try the cal strength videos, I guessed that was the direction I'd be pointed. They helped a tone with cleans.

Greg Everett has a good DVD on the topic that can be acquired from Amazon.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Who are you and what have you done with Gainsdalf?

In all honesty I saw or heard a quote recently along the lines of "Have you ever seen an Olympic lifter without big, gorgeous quads?" and I realized that no, I haven't. And in addition, they all have gorgeously muscled upper backs and shoulders. These are the two things I currently really want. Hence, accessorize like an Oly lifter. But right now, I don't even lift, so it's moot.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625