My Life, as Prescribed

That's a crossfit joke, get it? *sigh* 

The idea is to get this thing going and stick with this thread for the year. I'm too lazy to make a new challenge thread, so I'm just gonna dump everything in here. I'm a little unmotivated at the moment, as I'm sitting at home in a snow storm and haven't been in the gym for like 4 days now. I'll lay out some yearly goals for now and then come back and update this thing later. 

<<where I'm at now>>

I've been here on NF for 3 years now? That sounds about right. When I started, I was just getting back into the gym after letting myself go, like, really bad. I was up around 240 and just a big fatty. I spent around 9 months working my way through Starting Strength and praying to Brodin at least 3x a week. I got down to around 210 and then back up to 220 or so. My body is comfortable around that weight. Well, it was. 

This past year, I transitioned away from the pure pursuit of PowerLifting and drank the KoolAid... I joined CrossFit. I now get to train weekly with a dedicated Olympic coach and still get to lift heavy things whenever I want. I've also learned a ton of incredibly stupid exercises, like sumo-dead-lift-high-pulls. Which are pretty much the red headed step child of the exercise world. 

I'm coming out of a bit of a "bulk", aka I took the holiday season and tried to put on as much weight as possible. I started this year at 212# and a 39" waist. That puts me around 23% bodyfat, using the simple calculators. That'll change pretty quickly though, my body is pretty used to me fucking around with it.

<<where I want to be>>

There are some exercise goals down below. I'll probably update them as I go through the year and hopefully have to update them as I complete them. A lot of them are open ended though, like RX'ing 5 new girls. I've RX'ed a few so far. I should keep a headcount somewhere for that. Remind me to check my wod book and update the ones I remember doing. 

The general body image goals are simple enough. I'd like to settle into a body just under 200# with a 35" waist. I tend to think I look good once I drop down below 36" around the waist. The weight comes and goes, during the last challenge I think I dropped down to 192, and was a little too hungry at that point. 

There are some life goals that I want to hit, but I don't think I've labeled them out here. I'll do that at a later point. I'm taking small steps towards these already but will talk about them later as I feel more comfortable with the goals. 

<<how I'm gonna get there>>

Well, fitness-wise, I'm sticking with my CrossFit programming. My strength coach is a really smart guy and programs in such a way that he can see linear progression across a group of close to 200 people. With that being said, I do plan to supplement with my own workouts. I'm in the middle of running a 5/3/1 bench variation that Mick suggested for me. It's going well. I may have under sold my 1RM used for the calculations, but I hadn't benched in 6 months, so it was kind of a shot in the dark. 

I'll be doing my weekly Olympic sessions as well, we're running a slowed down cycle from Catalyst Athletics. It's not enough to see ample progression, but it is enough that I'm seeing my lifts steadily moving up and my technique getting better and better. Another supplement will most likely be the weekly "competitor" homework that is handed out. The people who want to do competitions every few months are given a separate workout, usually a specific skill or skill pairing, that is to be completed in your own time. These look like a lot of fun, but I haven't been doing them as I've been doing my own ramp up for the TTTT. After that is done, I'll jump into these. 

The weight will come off on its own, as long as I don't be a fat ass. Last year, a big thing for me was cutting down on my drinking. That went pretty well for the first half of the year. I need to get back on that. I'm not going to cut things out entirely, but will certainly drill back on what and when I'm drinking... because I've gotten to the point over the holidays where I can walk home with an 18 pack of lite beer and polish that off after a gym session. 

Table of Contents

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Challenge Progressions

• 2*BW Squat by 3/14
  • 2.5*BW Deadlift by 9/14
  • 1*BW Strict Press by 6/14
  • 1.5*BW Clean and Jerk by 6/14
  • 1*BW Snatch by 3/14 [completed 3/14]

• Get a muscle up by 6/14 [completed 3/14]
  • String 20+ DUs consistently by 6/14
  • Compete at RX level by 9/14
  • Sub 5 Fran by 9/14
  • Sub 45 Murph by 6/14
  • Complete 5+ Girls @ RX by 12/14
    • Isabel RX'ed @ 2:58 [4/1]
    • Helen RX'ed @ 10:05 [4/3]

• Back down to 200# by 2/14 [completed 2/14]
  • 36″ waist by 3/14 [completed 2/14]
  • Sub 16% BF by 6/14 [lol]

Shovel for conditioning! Or maybe go for a walk and see if you can find any cars stuck in snowdrifts. :D (No, seriously, I went out in the snow while feeling super cranky once, helped push a car where it was stuck spinning its tires on ice and slush, and came home in a much better mood.)

1/4/2014

Lazy Lifting Saturdays

Snatch Complex: 

Power Snatch + Overhead Squat + Snatch

Pause in hole for 3+ seconds

95 x2, 115 x2, 135 x2, 155 x2

Jerk Complex:

Push Press + Behind The Neck Jerk + Jerk

Pause in split for 3+ seconds

155 x2, 185 x2, 205 x2, 225 x0

Jerk Dip Squats:

225 x1, 275 x2, 315 x3

Back Extensions:

BW x10, 45 x10, 45 x10

Bench:

135 x4, 145 x4, 165 x4, 175 x3, 195 x3, 205 2x3, 215 x1, 225 3x1, 155 x10

...I have photos of a gorgeous drag queen gyrating on my lap. And that is all you will hear of the ridiculousness that was my Saturday evening. 

I slept for 17 hours on Sunday. Because being a human being is hard some times. 

Monday Workouts:

Partner WoD for Time:

1000m row

50 Power Snatches @ 95#

30 Pull Ups

Worked with a kid I don't pair up with often. Really strong kid, blew me away on the pull ups and definitely rowed about 4 seconds faster. I don't really remember what we finished in. 4:53, I think. That sounds about right. 3:25 for the row, about a minute for the snatches, then 30-40 seconds for the pull ups. Yeah, that sounds right. 

W4:D1 Benching Program

135 x4

145 x4

165 x4

185 11x2, 1x10

12 sets takes forever. Didn't wait the full 3 minutes between, because ain't nobody got time for that. 

Gonna go write some details for this thread now. Keep forgetting to do that. 

Oh here you are....

• String 20+ DUI's by 6/14

I totally read this goal as I fixed above...  which I thought was 

1. a bit ambitious
  2. contrary to your cut back on drinking goal
  3. dangerously irresponsible

And, yet, (since it is totally fake and I would never think a single real DUI is funny) totally funny.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

Oh here you are....

I totally read this goal as I fixed above...  which I thought was 

1. a bit ambitious
  2. contrary to your cut back on drinking goal
  3. dangerously irresponsible

And, yet, (since it is totally fake and I would never think a single real DUI is funny) totally funny.

That's a whole lot of DUIs...

I actually didn't do the programming tonight, because it called for 5x5 on bench. And that doesn't work around the cycle that Mick has got me on for TTTT prep work. 

Which is..

gallery_3779_270_32729.jpg

I didn't want to fuck up my vibe, so I just did some squats. Worked up to a double at my opener for TTTT. Felt nice. I came forward a little off my heels, but not on the toes.. you know, just mid foot which feels weird in weightlifting shoes. 

WoD today was one of those ones that usually kill me, so I dropped the weight and just used it as a way to train my cardio load. 

4 Rounds of:

1 minute KB Swings

1 minute sit ups

1 minute rest

Scored a 217, just over 50 each round. I like the consistency. 

Nice and light day. Had to come home and let Quincy in. He's home for the night to pack up his shit and let the movers get his left overs out tomorrow. Then he's gone. Sad face. 

So, I'm here in this three person house by myself. Paying to heat this fucker by myself. We went through 100 gallons of oil from 12/20 to 1/10. That's over $400 in like 3 weeks, yo. Fuck this winter bull shit. Time to drop the house to below 60 degrees and turn off the heater in the guest rooms. 

Also of note, remember when I said it'd be easy to drop weight. Yeah, I forgot that I like eating a lot. A lot. It's fun and I like it. 

Gotta get my digs in now before I start this stupid paleo challenge at my gym. Fucking neanderthals. Someone teach them how to make pasta.

--Edit--

Hey! I found some videos that I took on 12/28 that I forgot to upload. 

Clean Complex @ 185

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ItWC90TpO0

Pause Squats @ 275

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy_KcvQE9ss

Snatch Balance @ 155

Snatch Balance @ 175 Fail

This was the day that I had to program for myself, if I remember correctly, as my regular coach was off that Saturday. Videos are a little disappointing because of the fact that I should be getting deeper in my squats by now. I need some more ankle flexibility in order to get the knees out so I can push my hamstrings down deeper into my calves. Even in my pause squats, I'm sitting about as deep in the hole as I can get without losing tension and it's not all that deep. bleh.

I actually didn't do the programming tonight, because it called for 5x5 on bench. And that doesn't work around the cycle that Mick has got me on for TTTT prep work. 

Which is..

gallery_3779_270_32729.jpg

I didn't want to fuck up my vibe, so I just did some squats. Worked up to a double at my opener for TTTT. Felt nice. I came forward a little off my heels, but not on the toes.. you know, just mid foot which feels weird in weightlifting shoes. 

WoD today was one of those ones that usually kill me, so I dropped the weight and just used it as a way to train my cardio load. 

4 Rounds of:

1 minute KB Swings

1 minute sit ups

1 minute rest

Scored a 217, just over 50 each round. I like the consistency. 

Nice and light day. Had to come home and let Quincy in. He's home for the night to pack up his shit and let the movers get his left overs out tomorrow. Then he's gone. Sad face. 

So, I'm here in this three person house by myself. Paying to heat this fucker by myself. We went through 100 gallons of oil from 12/20 to 1/10. That's over $400 in like 3 weeks, yo. Fuck this winter bull shit. Time to drop the house to below 60 degrees and turn off the heater in the guest rooms. 

Well... if you REALLY need a room mate, I could probably make myself available. I mean... I'm quitting my job soon anyways and haven't figured out where I'm going :P

• Like 1

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

It's cold enough for you here at the moment. Not sure how long it's supposed to be AK temperatures though. 

Remember how I subbed squats for bench last night and my coach said it was okay? What he failed to mention was that we'd be doing squats today. A whole day of squats. It was literally "Seth Day". 

E2MOTM 20

2 Squats

315 5x2

335 3x2

345 2x2

Then, you take 70% of that weight and do as many reps as you can. A widowmaker workout? Are you shitting me? I love Seth Day!

245 x25

And then, I fell on the floor and laid there for a while. Had my PWO shake and went to bench, cause it's a bench day... and even though my legs were fried, you only barely use them in benching, right?

135 x4

155 x4

175 x4

195 x2

205 x2

215 x1

230 5x1 1x2

Hitting a double at what I'm going to call is my opener. I like it. Probably will open at 230 or 235. 

Got home, ate a pound of pork, a pepper, and two potatoes, all fried in bacon fat. Gonna go grab a jar of peanut butter, cause I'm going to need some recovery calories after this one. 

I was googling bikini shots and this is where it took me...

lol-cat.jpg

I've been having a hard time coming up with specific goals every time. I have a general idea of what I want to do, but nothing that can be broken down into modular 6 week installments. So, mehh.

from now on my workout log is the place. If I have a bunch of little things I want to do, then I can do that challenge, like this time.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Lazy Lifting Saturdays! YAY!

Today was extra lazy. I don't think Jen even started lifting for 90 minutes. I was almost done by the time that her and the others were starting. 

It was apparently Snatch day, as that was all we did. 

Segment Snatch (1", knee, hip, finish) + Snatch Pull x3

95, 115, 135, 155, 185

3x5 Snatch @ 60%

95, 115, 115

Then, did some random hip snatches and drop snatches to work speed under the bar. 

Snatch Push Press x3 + OHS

95, 115, 135, 155 x3

After the defined workout, I felt like hitting a few heavy snatches, so I worked up to a few singles. 

135 x2, 155 x2, 175, 185, 195(PR) and then missed 205 three times before calling it a day. 

Snatch @ 195

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlYg34cEhms

Failed Snatch @ 205

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcta2-dnXPM

Ugh. Profanity in that failed video. Just warning you. 

So fucking close. Missed the first one backwards by not punching my arms up enough. Missed the second one forward, because I punched too hard over compensating. And this one was just mehhhhhhh.

Also, how to tell you've been watching too much Attitude Nation with Jon North: You do the stupid crossing your legs thing after easy snatches and slam the bar on new PRs. 

Slamming Bars and Killing PRs!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Aww, boo. The list is so good!

...are you... are you not drinking in Texas?

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Phew! 

Raptron, alot assassin

First day of our 40 day Breadless Bodies Nutritional Challenge. No more beer, no more random shit in the diet, time to get strict paleo for a little over a month. 

Today was our first "test" workout. They've apparently split this up into one day of pure strength movements and one day of pure cardio. I'm dreading tomorrow, but today was Seth's time to shine. 

30 minute running window.

10 minutes to find a snatch 1rm

10 minutes to find a front squat 2rm(off the floor)

10 minutes to find a deadlift 3rm

Nailed my 205 snatch, finally. FUCKING FINALLY. Too bad, it's not body weight. More on that later. Did not know that the front squat was off the floor, that threw me for a loop. I gave a little thought to one more attempt at the front squat, but was pretty much at my limit there. I saw stars on the last rep, not gonna lie. Deadlifts weren't bad. Was running low on time so didn't get to warm up properly here... belted up and took off the oly shoes for the last set and struggled through the last rep. That was definitely a 3 rep max. 

Snatch : 205

F Squat : 265

Deadlift : 425

Timely Total of 895. If I had known that, I would have thrown 2.5's on something...

Going to create a separate post with bodyweight and measurements and shit, so I can link it on the first page. But, overall, good night at the gym.

For anyone interested, food has looked like:

1200 : ~8oz chicken breast & ~4oz of roasted cauliflower

1630 : 6g BCAA & 28g whey in a shake, pre workout

1800 : same as above, post workout & a big ol' honeycrisp apple 

1900 : spinach and strawberry salad with a little balsamic vinaigrette 

2000 : two cups of my piping hot chili with a sliced avocado

I've had about 7-8 liters of water over the course of the day and have peed, no lie, 14 times. Woof.