Nice Seth!  Sounds like an awesome time!  Also, that paleo cuisine sounds fantastic.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Flipping tires of that size sounds absolutely awesome.

It's terrifying. Once you break the initial lift at about 30-40 degrees, you stop and rest it on your hip in a quasi-split(jerk) stance. It became incredibly evident that Biggum and J were correct saying that my split stance is too narrow, as I almost toppled over on my first attempt with this thing because I wasn't wide enough to allow the tire to settle correctly.

From there, you shimmy and explode your hips in order to get another 5-10 degrees over and over until it's up to your chest and you can run through it. That whole time, you're extending, shrinking back, and then trying to reset while something 4x heavier than you is resting against you. I haven't had that big of a rush in a while. 

I totally danced in front of everybody when I finally toppled it. Worth it. 

• Like 1

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

first, i love you. you are awesome. (re 4T long post) 

second, be careful with that shoulder. i need it to hug me when i see you.

third, i meant to say this on your photo above (group) that you look like such a bro. it's amazing. an adorable bro, but a bro nonetheless.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

SHOULDER BOMB.

note, he suggested we (crossfitters, and non elite athletes) do this with a red or yellow theraband.

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

It's terrifying. Once you break the initial lift at about 30-40 degrees, you stop and rest it on your hip in a quasi-split(jerk) stance. It became incredibly evident that Biggum and J were correct saying that my split stance is too narrow, as I almost toppled over on my first attempt with this thing because I wasn't wide enough to allow the tire to settle correctly.

From there, you shimmy and explode your hips in order to get another 5-10 degrees over and over until it's up to your chest and you can run through it. That whole time, you're extending, shrinking back, and then trying to reset while something 4x heavier than you is resting against you. I haven't had that big of a rush in a while. 

I totally danced in front of everybody when I finally toppled it. Worth it. 

*....quotes for truth....*

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

BigM, folks, champion of the subtle I-told-you-so.

That is a lot of strongdude stuff. I hope you relish in your free lunch with the smug satisfaction it deserves. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

*....quotes for truth....*

Bolds for truth? I conceited your correctness, sir. I know when to take a lesson. 

And I've been widening my grip in everything shoulders to overhead to work on the other pointers you gave me for jerk. 

Today was a pretty good day. I'm still super tired and super sore from my Strongman work this weekend, so I was hoping coach would take it easy on us. I think he knew that most everyone went out last night for the game and might be a little hurting... so he programmed burpees/boxjumps. 

We did go out last night. About 10-12 of us all went over to one of the guy's from the gym's house to imbibe in a mostly paleo fashion.. except about 90% of the people drank. I didn't. A few beers on a Sunday just isn't that enticing any more. That and I'm already dead tired from staying up to watch the game, beer isn't going to help. I pretty much tried falling asleep on my ride home, the girl who lost her bet to me and had to wear my Seahawks jersey in her facebook photo for a whole day. She's not a big fan of mine at the moment :D

Anywho, made it through work today with the help of a lot of coffee. Took my last call at the gym, because, well, I can. 

Strength work was a pyramid of front squats 9x4. Worked with strength coach, per the usual. I treated these as pause squat + 3 as fast as possible reps. We worked up from 165 to 235 making 10-20# jumps. Talked him into doing the last set as Frankenstein squats. hehe always gotta put on a show. 

WoD was a 10 EMotM of x Burpees and X Box Jumps. I did 7/7 as that was the "level 3" or whatever. I wanted to work on "rebounding" on the box jumps, which is pretty much hanging out at the top of the jump instead of the bottom and just dropping and immediately bouncing back up instead of treating every jump as its own separate exercise. It relies a lot on calve elasticity and saves a ton of energy/time during a workout. I was really pleased that all of the calve mobility work I've been doing kept me from cramping up the whole time. 70 burpees and 70 box jumps in 10 minutes is no joke. Each round took ~25-35 seconds. Just enough time to catch your breath and dab your forehead before busting your ass again. 

Stuck around and did some extended mobility on quads and hips. Now, to eat and try to fall asleep at a reasonable hour. We'll see how that goes. 

Today was a pretty good day. I'm still super tired and super sore from my Strongman work this weekend, so I was hoping coach would take it easy on us. I think he knew that most everyone went out last night for the game and might be a little hurting... so he programmed burpees/boxjumps. 

We did go out last night. About 10-12 of us all went over to one of the guy's from the gym's house to imbibe in a mostly paleo fashion.. except about 90% of the people drank. I didn't. A few beers on a Sunday just isn't that enticing any more. That and I'm already dead tired from staying up to watch the game, beer isn't going to help. I pretty much tried falling asleep on my ride home, the girl who lost her bet to me and had to wear my Seahawks jersey in her facebook photo for a whole day. She's not a big fan of mine at the moment :D

Anywho, made it through work today with the help of a lot of coffee. Took my last call at the gym, because, well, I can. 

Strength work was a pyramid of front squats 9x4. Worked with strength coach, per the usual. I treated these as pause squat + 3 as fast as possible reps. We worked up from 165 to 235 making 10-20# jumps. Talked him into doing the last set as Frankenstein squats. hehe always gotta put on a show. 

WoD was a 10 EMotM of x Burpees and X Box Jumps. I did 7/7 as that was the "level 3" or whatever. I wanted to work on "rebounding" on the box jumps, which is pretty much hanging out at the top of the jump instead of the bottom and just dropping and immediately bouncing back up instead of treating every jump as its own separate exercise. It relies a lot on calve elasticity and saves a ton of energy/time during a workout. I was really pleased that all of the calve mobility work I've been doing kept me from cramping up the whole time. 70 burpees and 70 box jumps in 10 minutes is no joke. Each round took ~25-35 seconds. Just enough time to catch your breath and dab your forehead before busting your ass again. 

Stuck around and did some extended mobility on quads and hips. Now, to eat and try to fall asleep at a reasonable hour. We'll see how that goes. 

this actually isn't true. 

outlaw did a study across it's competitors in the open last year when they did the deadlift/box jump couplet. rebounding wasn't much faster than stepping down. in additon, rebounding also is awful for your achilles.  resting at the top of the box is what saves the energy, instead of resting at the bottom, because you are more likely to not miss your next jump because you've taken enough rest to come down, therefore come back up. 

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Do you know what protects my achilles? The soccer balls sitting right under my knees. If Achilles was alive today, he would quake in fear before my glorious calves. 

You take your science and you shove it.

Just kidding. I love you.

They shave a lot of time off for me, because I don't settle at the bottom and swing around for a second on every jump. I know about the limitations and stress it puts on the achilles tendon, but when properly used for low reps like tonight's workout, I think they're worth it. 

And I did like half of those band shoulder thingies today before my workout, until I forgot what the next one was. 

Do you know what protects my achilles? The soccer balls sitting right under my knees. If Achilles was alive today, he would quake in fear before my glorious calves. 

They shave a lot of time off for me, because I don't settle at the bottom and swing around for a second on every jump. I know about the limitations and stress it puts on the achilles tendon, but when properly used for low reps like tonight's workout, I think they're worth it. 

And I did like half of those band shoulder thingies today before my workout, until I forgot what the next one was. 

Destined to become a gimpy dwarf watching others go on adventure...

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

low rep, yeah. that's fair. 

high rep, bad. :)

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

BroDance in a BroHat. Damn, missed it. :(

Talk Tinman into going out dancing when y'all are in Boston. :D

I'm sitting in my client office at the moment, all alone, because no one else came in. This is stupid. There was only like 2" when I left the house... by the time I leave, I'll be looking like an idiot as there will be close to 10" out there. Should be a fun commute. 

Anywho, got into the gym again last night. It was a particularly tough day for me as the strength was a goat movement for me and the WoD included two movements that I'm not particularly great at. Well, one I'm not great at and one that I'm downright awful at. Which is good, it highlights that I need to work more on it. 

Strength portion was ring dips, which was my goat exercise the Thursday workout before 4T. We did 3-4 sets of as many reps as possible, I got 8, 7, 7. Started learning how to kip out of the hole because the later reps become rather difficult as the rings start to splay a bit. 

The WoD was a fun one, but extremely frustrating as my shoulders became more and more fatigued from the reps and the dips we had just done. 

12 Minute AMRAP

12 Hang Power Snatches 

9 Toes to Bar

6 Hand Stand Push Ups

Hang Power Snatches are pretty much just a hip extension at the weight we used(lol 85#), so those were cake. The Toes to Bar are a movement I can string together once in a while, but for limited amounts. I ended up breaking these up and trying to go as strict as possible. The HSPU's killed me. I don't know if it was because I was rushing or what, but I couldn't get more than 2-3 at the most and usually just 1 rep at a time. New GOAT acquired. 

Back to working on my lonesome today. Bye nerds. 

What do you prefer, WoD before strength training or strength training before WoD? Or is it just whichever you want to focus on most to be the first?

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Our programming is always in order: Mobility, Strength, WoD. I'm not opposed to this setup, as your strength work is what you want to nail first as it's what's going to make you better at your WoD.

When I do extra workouts, I do it after the WoD but also after refueling(brotein+aminos) so that my glycogen is fueled back up. 

I'm thinking about going from aiming for 3 lifts a day to aiming for 2, then doing the mobility/stregth/metcon approach where i target 1-2 mobilizations for 10 minutes, do 1-2 lifts, then some sort of lifting metcon like 10x10 thrusters, jump rope, etc.

500 / 330 / 625

I think that sounds like the cookie cutter approach to our classes. 10-15 minute warmup/mobility. 30 minute strength/technique session. 20 minute metcon. Then, lay on the floor for 5 minutes or so. Talk about how fast our Fran is.

I think that sounds like the cookie cutter approach to our classes. 10-15 minute warmup/mobility. 90 minute strength/technique session. 5 minute metcon. Then, lay on the floor for 30 minutes or so. Talk about how big our squat is.

^ Why I'm a warrior and you're a ranger.

edit: Also why I'm fat and you're not.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625