Burpees... over a partner.  Oh sweet baby jesus.  Just when I thought burpees couldn't frighten me any more.

Good luck Saturday!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Burpees... over a partner.  Oh sweet baby jesus.  Just when I thought burpees couldn't frighten me any more.

Good luck Saturday!

She has to be in plank the entire time I'm burpee'ing over her too... Gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Just finished a steak that was bigger than my hand, I'm talking about 2" thick and around 12-14oz. Fuck yeah. Skillet is pretty awesome. Got that baby good and hot, though not hot enough, I didn't sear enough... but I'm still learning and I have another 3 steaks to work on. It's chilling in the oven just cooling down now with some grease still in it to season. 

But, to the workout! Missed a snatch day last night as I was out gaming with friends. That's alright with me. Miss my time with those guys as I'm in the gym so much nowadays. Sorry, I wrote that last sentence like 8 minutes ago and I've been zoned out watching Barbell Shrugged. Let me try and finish this thought. 

Strength portion:

Complex of Three High Hang Clean and a Split Jerk. 

Worked from 115, 145, 165, 205, 165 x3. These felt great. Fast feet and fast elbows. Really just a dirty dancing drill with something over bodyweight in my hands. Feels good, brah. And yeah, 205 is officially 10+ on bodyweight. Dem aesthetic gains. 

WoD:

5 AMRAP Clean and Jerk @ 165#

Totally screwed myself on this one. Went too hard on the first round and blew my load too early. Should have just kept a 6/min schema like I had planned, but the first ten felt great, so I rushed it. Stupid. Finished with 25 reps. Two behind the leader at the time, though another guy hit 29 in the class after me. 5 minute Grace @ 165, is apparently a lot harder than I thought. I've run a 115# Grace in right around 3 minutes. That 50# really makes a huge difference... shocker. 

Anywho. I've gotta go to bed. This has now officially taken like a half hour to write 400 words. Ridiculous. Good night. 

• Like 2

Just finished a steak that was bigger than my hand, I'm talking about 2" thick and around 12-14oz.

I read nothing more then that before I clicked the like button.  Mmm... steak....

Tbone-steak.gif

WoD:

5 AMRAP Clean and Jerk @ 165#

Totally screwed myself on this one. Went too hard on the first round and blew my load too early. Should have just kept a 6/min schema like I had planned, but the first ten felt great, so I rushed it. Stupid. Finished with 25 reps. Two behind the leader at the time, though another guy hit 29 in the class after me. 5 minute Grace @ 165, is apparently a lot harder than I thought. I've run a 115# Grace in right around 3 minutes. That 50# really makes a huge difference... shocker.

Isn't Grace Rx'ed at 135lbs?  Obviously can go heavy for harder work, but just curious.

Blew load early. Sub 3 Grace time. You crossfit dudes have some odd goals.

Gonna be in Mass next week, but likely only 1 day and probably won't be able to stop by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Went in yesterday to meet up with Rager, my pardner. I got there and took a call from 4-5, and then worked mobility(aka un-cramp my calf) for about 45 minutes til she got there. We ran through the best schema for the AMRAP movements, which we changed twice til we were comfortable with the reps. Then went over some more pointers for her on the clean and jerk for tonnage. 

I showed her the easiest way to transition from overhead to ground to back to shoulders by bouncing the bar off your thighs and then slamming it into the ground to use the rubber bounce reflex. Gaming the system since 1985, folks. This is Seth. 

Need to do laundry tonight to make sure I have stuff to wear on Saturday...

Burpee PandaFlop. Thats totally a thing.

Heads up, D!

totally :) 

also, are you doing the shoulder thing i posted to your thread? the shoulder bomb? if so, that's awesome. 

i just ordered some therabands.

can't wait too hear how today went. :) <3

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

totally :)

also, are you doing the shoulder thing i posted to your thread? the shoulder bomb? if so, that's awesome. 

i just ordered some therabands.

can't wait too hear how today went. :) <3

I am doing shoulder specific band work every time I get into the gym. It's not the whole video you posted, but there are bits and pieces from it. I made it through the whole competition this weekend without any pain in the shoulder whatsoever, so I'm inclined to say that it's working. 

And I was waiting to see if anyone from the gym posted some photos from Saturday, but they're all taking their sweet time. Guess I'll just do my writeup without the photos. 

The event went off rather well. Rager picked me up around 6:40 and we headed down to RI. We were in the third of five heats for scaled division, meaning we got to watch a few teams go ahead of us before jumping into the fray. We stuck to our strategies the whole day and everything went off without a hitch. 

Starting with the AMRAP, we hit 4 rounds +25 reps for a total of 385 putting us in 6th. Our transitions were a little iffy here, we under utilized the space provided and lost probably 10-12 reps because of it. Not too bad, but I think we could have done a little better. 

Next was the 3 minute tonnage work, which I for one was really looking forward to. I hit 51 reps at 75# on snatch and Rager hit 41 reps at 55# on clean and jerk. We had a great judge who we talked over the specific commands and scoring with beforehand, so she let us just go hog wild. Our total of 6080 was 7th out of the field, a consistent finish for us. 

Last was the thrusters. Rager is a champ at these and I just needed to not suck and hold her back. We went in with the idea that we'd drop once at 60 reps and then "discuss" if it was worth dropping at 80. When we hit 60, I was just starting to get tired, that's a good sign. When we hit 80, I was hurting but didn't want to lose time. We had seen people finish in just over 3 minutes and I knew we needed a good time here, so... I just kind of gave her a wild look and started the last set. We finished in 3:45 to come in 5th for the round. 

Not bad placements, 5th through 7th on all events. Thankfully, the rest of the field was so wildly varied that 3 consistent top ten scores was enough to put us in very good chances. 

1781865_832949516721915_2092514087_n.jpg

Good enough to get us on the podium. 2nd place. Our gym actually took 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. 

I'm really proud of all our competitors. We had a great time and put up some great numbers. Can't wait for the next comp in May.

p.s. here's one of the photos that has surfaced so far... triple extension during the mass snatch-a-thon.

1604443_10203153774794730_316280571_n.jp

That last pic... Are you The Flash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

That photo was shot with a potato.

Biggum gets HookGrip quality, I get cellphone quality.

Weightlifting > CF. Why waste good photos on silly reps? :D

Also remind me some time to rant about to silliness of the triple extension cue that CF oly coaches over use. It's not a jdanger level rant sadly so you'll just have to bear with me.

Sent from a phonical device. Please excuse the shortness

• Like 3

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Also remind me some time to rant about to silliness of the triple extension cue that CF oly coaches over use. It's not a jdanger level rant sadly so you'll just have to bear with me.

Don't bring that weak shit in here. That rant better be damn good. And since when is it only a CF cue?

Anywho, finally finished cooking my chili, get to update my thread now. 

Monday monday. Did y'all get today off? Cause I didn't. And my friends rubbed that in quite well. They suck. 

Got into the gym, which was awesome, because the workout today was a weakness of mine. 

Strength Portion : Press Complex

1 x Strict Press + 2 x Push Press + 3 x Push Jerk

Worked through 95, 115, 135, 155, and failed at 165. My strict press sucks. I find it laughable that I can jerk 275 and can miss a strict press at 165. Need to build that overheard strength. 

WoD : 7 minute cap for...

25 Squat @ 225

25 Hand Stand Push Ups. 

Used an abmat for the push ups, as I'm not good at these. I banged through the squats in sets of 6, easy enough. Got through 15 straight push ups.. lolwut. I've never strung together more than 5-6 before. Finally got the balance right, got the kip push correct, and strung together these things pretty well. 

Finished in 3:44, which was an awesome time. Really pumped by how this one turned out. 

Wanted to dick around a little, because Tuesday is an off day for me. Grabbed a barbell and threw on some plates for some deadlifts. I'm going to hit the benchmark again on Wednesday probably, so didn't want to go heavy... but was in the mood for deadlifting. Just burned through some triples from 135 through 365. Just a couple hits, nothing too big. Just get the CNS warmed up. 

The big portion of the "fuck around" session was on the rings. WIth the mother fucking muscle up. These shits are hard, still. I can kip my hips almost over the rings themselves, but I can get my chest through/wrists around fast enough. Thing of it is, had like 6 people watch me get within 2" of my first MU, so that means they all came over and told me how to do it. "Why aren't you false gripping?" Because I don't know what that is... "Here, just wrap your wrists around the ring..." Wrap my what? This hurts... go away. 

It hurts. But apparently it's something I have to learn. Sweet, gonna go hang out on a bar without using my actual hands. This ought to be fun to start training.

2". I want this movement so bad that I'm going to forget the fact that my wrists are shot from the 5 minutes I spent hanging in this one position. Bring it.

tumblr_mzp949HcmP1rxxhm5o1_500.jpg

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

What... is that from? Because now I'm intrigued. 

Went in and did my first benchmark test last night as we're coming to the end of the Breadless Bodies Nutrition Challenge. Gotta say it went pretty well. Shaved off over a minute.

Benchmark WoD : Row and Go

1000m row

18 - 12 - 6

20# Wall Balls

Burpees

Knees to Elbows(scaled from toes to bar)

First time through was 10:21. Finished this time in 9:02. Aww yeah. Being lighter totally helps. Also, having a coach yelling at you then entire time also helps. 

Went home and ate and ate and ate. I think my brain has let my body know that we're lifting heavy the next day and that the challenge is almost over because I finished my dinner of a pile of eggs/bacon/broccoli/avocado and had to go make a steak for second dinner. Mmmm second dinner.

Will post the results of my weigh in and lifting heavy things tonight. Estimates put me down about 10-13#, which will mean I should take about 5% off my lift totals... but I'd like to still break 900. :D

• Like 1

Benchmark Day 2! 

This is the workout I was looking forward to, and then I completely bombed on it. Not gonna lie, it went pretty mediocre-ly. 

10 minutes for each exercise

1RM Snatch

2RM Front Squat, from ground

3RM Deadlift

Snatch felt great up to 155. 168 wasn't bad, 182 was ugly. Then 197 was just stupid. It wouldn't fucking stay up. Lost it forward. Lost it backwards after wobbling in the hole. Then I dropped weight down to 187 just so that I could hit something "respectable". Made a hail mary attempt at 205, just for shits and giggles and it went about as well as the first 197. 

I was on my toes the entire time. Coaches saw it, I could tell it was happening, but I just couldn't get comfortable with my form tonight. This kind of carried over to the cleans as well. 

Cleans started with the 205 I had on the bar. Easy. 225, pull was a little iffy but the squats were easy. 247, first one slipped out of my front rack forward. Second one lost it forward and almost lost my hip. What the actual fuck. Finally caught it in the third attempt and easy repped the squats. 

Both of these lifts at 90% for me. I was beyond pissed at this point. Was out of time, so I setup a shared bar with strength coach to hit deadlifts. 

Everything had been feeling heavy, so I was scared to walk up to the bar for deadlifts. Can't lie. I did not see even 4 plates happening, that worried. 

245. Easy. 315. Easy. 365, meh. Only had like 2 minutes left... had to decide what I knew I could hit and not bomb out with just a 3.5 plate pull. So, went for 415. Not an awful pull. No where near as black out inducing as the last time I did this workout... of course that's because it's 30# less. 

So, lets look at the numbers. 

Snatch : 205 -> 187  = -18#

F Squat : 265 -> 247  = -18#

Deadlift : 425 -> 415 = -10#

Total     : 895 -> 849 = -46#

Alright, looking at the numbers here. It's not too bad. I lost just over 5% of my strength. I was honestly expecting 6-8%. I'll explain why in the next post.