Phoenix Burning Deploys a Decoy Bag of Böring Potato Chips

Everstorm

Hello, all!

This is my first challenge with the Assassins, but my, what, seventh with NF?  So I will give a brief background for those who I haven't met, yet.

I joined NF March 2013 with 50lbs to lose and not much in the way of fitness except a running habit that constantly left me injured.  I hopped around throughout a few guilds, namely Adventurers, Scouts, and Monks on a quest to find that perfect combo of training that actually would get me fit and (almost more importantly) not make me cry.  In the course of my explorations, I lost about half of my goal (20-25lbs, depending on the day).  So, I probably have another 25lbs I'd like to lose. Every guild has been great and I've made a lot of friends, but in the ongoing evolution of me, I decided to run with the Assassins for now.  Why, you ask?  The sort of fitness I enjoy the most involves flexibility and fluidity/grace of movement, e.g., gymnastics, dancing, martial arts, parkour etc.  I can currently do none of these.  My journey starts now.

Main Goal:  Lose Weight

I plan to tackle this with the classic(ally boring) two pronged approach:  diet and fitness.  And in keeping with the suggestions from the NF article Are You Boring?, I am going to stick with what has been working for me mentally instead of changing up my routine every other challenge, with the idea that being boring will secretly develop exciting results.

http://youtu.be/bjqGDfQA5zA

Goal 1:  The Böring Diet  No grains and limit sweets to natural sweet additives (honey or real maple syrup) once a week.  I've had great success with this plan in the past, I just got majorly sidetracked with the holidays (starting for me with my vacation in October.  Oy!)

Goal 2:  The Böring Routine   This means walking 3 hours/week minimum and 2 yoga sessions per week (minimum).

Goal 3:  Getting to the Good Stuff  I'm starting a Hard Hat Challenge to spend 5 minutes every day mastering the handstand.  I'm hoping that chasing this shiny will keep me from being too bored with the same old, same old.  Plus, it would just be freakin' cool.

Aaaaaaaand...we're off!

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Yesss! Shiny handstands distract from all the boring, I promise. :D

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Good luck with everything - the handstand practice impresses the hell out of me.

Exactly.  If I can pull one off, I will impress myself. :playful:

Yesss! Shiny handstands distract from all the boring, I promise. :D

Any tips, O Gymnastic One?

You make me smile! Very well written challenge. I'm looking forward to getting bored to death ;)

Why, thank you!  I look forward to "seeing" you around.

• Like 1

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Sweet! Best of luck PB, you know you can do it. :)

By the way you inspired me to re-read my old threads and I realized I come to the same conclusions as you - low carb paleo and strength training works perfectly for my weight loss; anything else just messes things up. So being boring seems like the best idea. :)

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

I think its cool you are going assassining! I too, would one day like to stand, maybe even walk, on my hands!

Should be fun.

Sweet! Best of luck PB, you know you can do it. :)

By the way you inspired me to re-read my old threads and I realized I come to the same conclusions as you - low carb paleo and strength training works perfectly for my weight loss; anything else just messes things up. So being boring seems like the best idea. :)

Thanks!  Yeah, boring is boring, but I guess it works.  Welcome to the boring club.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Any tips, O Gymnastic One?

It's hard to give general tips. If you don't already do hollow work, I would add some in (hollow rocks and holds) while you are working on your handstands. Other than that, it's easier if I can see where you are and what's troubling you before I give any advice. Is there a specific progression program you plan to follow?

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Good luck with everything, fellow walker. I bet you'll kick ass.

Thanks.  Are you in the beginners' forum this time?

It's hard to give general tips. If you don't already do hollow work, I would add some in (hollow rocks and holds) while you are working on your handstands. Other than that, it's easier if I can see where you are and what's troubling you before I give any advice. Is there a specific progression program you plan to follow?

I'm too new to it all to really know what troubles me.  I planned to run with the progression outlined on NF here.  I can already hold a plank on the floor for over a minute, so now I'm working on getting my hands closer to the wall.  So, at this juncture, I'm aiming more for strength and acclimating to being upside down.  The finesse will come later.  I was thinking of including hollow hold work, definitely will now, thanks.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

There ought to be a boring club! Thanks for reminding me before I setup my own thread.

Good luck with being boring! And handstands! :)

I am currently accepting applications.

Yep. Hopefully lessons learned in the mini-challenge will help make this one work.

You did well on the mini.  Just keep it up.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

TBDR ;^)

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I love these goals and looking forward to your progress :)

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines