Phoenix Burning Deploys a Decoy Bag of Böring Potato Chips

Everstorm

Keep up the boring! Maybe just for you I'll do a handstand video for the assassins creative challenge.

also...

Nice goals. =) And! Handbalancing is the spiciest boring thing I've ever seen. I love that shit, even though I've never worked on it myself. I've got a couple of buddies who make careers out of that kind of elegance:

1467334_10201633995306376_853702457_n.jp

And so forth. Future motivation, perhaps! Haha.

Also, a bit of wisdom from some blog post I can't precisely recall right now which paraphrases the NF article you cited: those who are most successful are married to the grind. They love the daily routine because they know that's what gets you to the goal. Wisdom you and I are both trying to convince ourselves of right now. =)

Good luck!

I could look at that for way longer than I maybe should. Consider me motivated.

• Like 3

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

YEAH. Get that mobility in.

Yep.  Glad I wore comfy shoes.  There was a fair amount of running interspersed with the walking.  It was a good time, and all three of us were pretty tired at the end.

Fun way to get those goals. =D

Can't make it TOO boring!

Keep up the boring! Maybe just for you I'll do a handstand video for the assassins creative challenge.

also...

I could look at that for way longer than I maybe should. Consider me motivated.

For me?  Awww, thanks, Phylanx.  I could use all the help I can get.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Since I surpassed my walking goal yesterday, I opted out of today's walk and spent an hour gardening in a third-world squat instead.  :blink:  Not sure that was actually a rest.

I tried doing my daily handstand work on the floor instead of the mat and found it somewhat easier, if a little less comfortable, to walk my hands back.  (The mat tends to fold and stick to my hands, so it's more difficult to maneuver.)  So, I'm feeling more confident at this distance, but not quite at the 60 second mark yet.

On more consideration, I decided to go ahead and have my Paleo pancakes with a couple tablespoons of real maple syrup.  It goes back to the conversation a few days ago about not piling on too much before I'm ready.  The goal this challenge was to limit "sweeteners" to once a week, not natural fruit sugars.  I don't want to freak myself out.  So, I enjoyed my little treat for this week without guilt.  I can look at reducing fruit some other challenge if it seems necessary, but I don't think it will be.  I eat fruit rather occasionally, not obsessively.

• Like 2

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Yeah, it cleared 80F that day, I think.  Don't hate me.

Hate?  I could never hate you.  I'm just extremely jealous! ;)

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

I tried doing my daily handstand work on the floor instead of the mat and found it somewhat easier, if a little less comfortable, to walk my hands back.  (The mat tends to fold and stick to my hands, so it's more difficult to maneuver.)  So, I'm feeling more confident at this distance, but not quite at the 60 second mark yet.

I love it when you discover your own little training secrets. =D

On more consideration, I decided to go ahead and have my Paleo pancakes with a couple tablespoons of real maple syrup.  It goes back to the conversation a few days ago about not piling on too much before I'm ready.  The goal this challenge was to limit "sweeteners" to once a week, not natural fruit sugars.  I don't want to freak myself out.  So, I enjoyed my little treat for this week without guilt.  I can look at reducing fruit some other challenge if it seems necessary, but I don't think it will be.  I eat fruit rather occasionally, not obsessively.

This is, without question, 100% accurate. =) There's a reason challenges have defined scope!

Get 'em. =)

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
8/5/18: 174lbs/79kg @ 16.4%
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

Challenge: N/A | Previous: 1

I think it's great that you're not being too harsh on yourself. I know not everyone on here is like me, but since I developed an eating disorder from basically being really bitchy to myself about food... I feel like it is my duty to safeguard others. So enjoy your pancakes with maple syrup (omfg I love maple syrup I think I could drink it straight from the bottle) and just go on rocking the challenge as you are now! <3

• Like 1

The week in review:

The Böring Diet:  100% of goal;  I ate a few too many actual potato chips the first 2-3 days, but it was allowed by my rules and helped with the transition, IMHO.  Cravings were very manageable.  I even made chocolate cupcakes for the family without so much as licking my fingers.  In the past, cravings and mood swings were unbearable.  I am wondering if allowing 80% or cheat meals actually made those worse.  Also, whenever I try to cut grains, I get a very strange, almost over-caffeinated feeling.  I never knew what to do with it before and it added to my anxiety.  This time, whenever I felt that way, I did something active.  Afterward, instead of anxious, I felt relaxed and almost effervescent.  It was amazing!

I suspect I really do have a wheat sensitivity.  A skin condition I haven't been able to shake for 2 months miraculously cleared up this week.  Happy Phoenix!

The Böring Routine:  130% of goal met;  this went very well.  I walked just shy of 4 hours (goal 3 hours), and about 3.5 hours of yoga (goal 2 hour-long sessions).  Got in some bonus movement, too:  Wii Fit games, gardening, and I rearranged my kids' furniture yesterday.

The Exciting Secret:  100% of goal;  I practiced handstanding everyday and progressed from floor planks to wall planks with hands 2 feet from the wall for 45 seconds.

And results?  I lost 0.9 pounds, which is not the most impressive weight loss I have seen, but it is a move in the right direction.

• Like 5

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

You did great on your first week! It's also very good that you got in some extra movement with gardening, it's like a sneaky workout because you're doing something useful AND working on your body! 

The progression to wall planks is also really amazing, keep it up! (And stretch out your wrists, mine hurt when I worked on handstands) 

I also think it's great that you lost a little bit of weight. It doesn't matter if it's just a little, as long as things are moving in the right direction! <3 

Sounds like a lovely and successful first week! Strong wall plank progression, lots of activities, and awesome job with your diet modifications! STRONG ACROSS THE BOARD! RAHHWHHAH! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

That whole recap was really uplifting. =D

I am wondering if allowing 80% or cheat meals actually made those worse.

That's the Hartwigs' theory, and I'm down with most of their conclusions.

Also, whenever I try to cut grains, I get a very strange, almost over-caffeinated feeling.  I never knew what to do with it before and it added to my anxiety.  This time, whenever I felt that way, I did something active.  Afterward, instead of anxious, I felt relaxed and almost effervescent.  It was amazing!

Innnnnteresting. A reeeeeeally unscientific guess, but maybe that's how you feel when your body switches to glycogen? It produces three times as many ATP per cell cycle than glucose. Who knows?

I love your solution though. Being strongly stimulated is stressful (metabolically and emotionally). I only meaningfully put myself in that position when I'm getting ready to train, so I'm with you on that being the answer to that feeling. =)

Great work on week one. Onward!

5'11"/180cm

7/1/18: 184lbs/83kg @ 18%   | 1RM Bench:~150lbs/68kg Squat: ~250lbs/113kg Dead: ~315lbs/143kg
Goal      155lbs/70kg @ <15% | 1RM Bench: 205lbs/93kg Squat: 265lbs/120kg Dead: 335lbs/152kg

The challenge is looking good so far, making great progress on those handstands. Also following your food musings with interest.

Thank you!  I don't know if my musings will result in any startling revelations, but it helps me to pay attention to what I am eating and how it effects me.

You did great on your first week! It's also very good that you got in some extra movement with gardening, it's like a sneaky workout because you're doing something useful AND working on your body! 

The progression to wall planks is also really amazing, keep it up! (And stretch out your wrists, mine hurt when I worked on handstands) 

I also think it's great that you lost a little bit of weight. It doesn't matter if it's just a little, as long as things are moving in the right direction! <3 

Thanks!  I feel pretty good about it.  Interestingly, my wrists haven't given me any trouble at all, but my elbows have complained a lot.  How do I stretch those?  :blink:

Sounds like a lovely and successful first week! Strong wall plank progression, lots of activities, and awesome job with your diet modifications! STRONG ACROSS THE BOARD! RAHHWHHAH! 

Rahhwhhah!

That whole recap was really uplifting. =D

That's the Hartwigs' theory, and I'm down with most of their conclusions.

Innnnnteresting. A reeeeeeally unscientific guess, but maybe that's how you feel when your body switches to glycogen? It produces three times as many ATP per cell cycle than glucose. Who knows?

I love your solution though. Being strongly stimulated is stressful (metabolically and emotionally). I only meaningfully put myself in that position when I'm getting ready to train, so I'm with you on that being the answer to that feeling. =)

Great work on week one. Onward!

Hmmm... could be the glycogen.  It feels like the opposite of the carb coma that used to hit me after eating.  I was so used to feeling wiped that having so much energy can be unnerving.  I had to learn that I didn't need to lay around all day.

Yes sir!

Note to self:  Google "the Hartwigs"

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Note to self:  Google "the Hartwigs"

This handsome couple. =)

5'11"/180cm

Interestingly, my wrists haven't given me any trouble at all, but my elbows have complained a lot.  How do I stretch those?  :blink:

Try massaging your biceps and triceps, sometimes elbow pain is due to tightness or knots in the upper arm. Also elbow pain is caused by overuse, have you been doing a lot of pulling exercises? You may need to back off your volume and let your body adjust slower.

In line with that, foam rolling arms and shoulders?

5'11"/180cm

Try massaging your biceps and triceps, sometimes elbow pain is due to tightness or knots in the upper arm. Also elbow pain is caused by overuse, have you been doing a lot of pulling exercises? You may need to back off your volume and let your body adjust slower.

Not sure what constitutes a lot.  I have been "greasing the groove" on the pull up bar, or was until my elbows got sore.  Come to think of it, they are better since I backed off.  Maybe need to postpone that one to next time.

In line with that, foam rolling arms and shoulders?

Foam roller.  Hurts so good.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

have you been doing a lot of pulling exercises?

Not sure what constitutes a lot.

More than what you are used to. With grease-the-groove you can do more total reps than in a regular workout but your body will still have a limit (above which it will start to complain). Take a few easy days and then go back to what you were doing but with a few less sets per day and you should be fine.

More than what you are used to. With grease-the-groove you can do more total reps than in a regular workout but your body will still have a limit (above which it will start to complain). Take a few easy days and then go back to what you were doing but with a few less sets per day and you should be fine.

True.  Will do.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines