Hey Everyone! 

So this will be my 2nd challenge. I'm an undergrad studying at university looking to get a B.S. in biomedical engineering. I originally thought I was going to go to med school and then the difficulty of classes (and the amount of time it takes) hit, so right now I'm exploring options and looking into internships. 

Anyways with fitness, I've really been thinking about getting into weight training and the more I read about it the more excited I am to get into it. I'm not that sure on how to start, but luckily my school offers a weight training gym class and I'm taking that this spring (It starts on Jan 13th and is Mondays and Wednesdays). I'm hoping that will teach me some of the basics and I can learn the rest from research. So onto the goals!

Main Goal:

Start lifting and get fit! 

[this is kind of vague, but I've been thinking about this for so long, and I want to do it right. This goal would mean that I'm working on lifting regularly and know how to do some of the basic lifts by the end of the challenge. EDIT: for measuring sake, I would like a pair of jeans I own to fit comfortably again]

Missions:

Workout at least 2 times a week [2 pts STA, 2 pts CHA] 

[i'm purposefully leaving this unassigned so that, as I learn more about lifting I can add more of that into my workouts and I also have the ability to decide to do a cardio day]

Only have at the most 1 grain a day [3 pts CON]

[i'm really interested in starting Paleo, but I'm in love with dairy and I do like to snack on edamame (soybeans). I'm keeping the restriction small because when I'm at school it's really hard to keep myself to my workouts AND keep up with a diet when I have all this stress bombarding me, so that's why I'm just trying one thing slowly. I also have a lack of options for food which makes it really difficult to cut main food groups out so I have hope this will go well.]

Learn how to do the basic lifts with Starting Strength program [3 pts STR, 2 pts WIS]

[by the end of the challenge, I want to be able to properly do the workout outlined in the Starting Strength 3rd ed. I ordered the book on amazon and should be getting it by Jan 7th!] 

Life Quest:

Do all my homework [3 pts WIS]

[This sounds silly when you first read it, but  I think it's a necessary goal. I had a lot of classes last semester that had daily homework--it all became too much, and I started skipping assignments when I was overwhelmed. I lost a lot of points that could have given me more leeway when it came to finals and I probably could have gotten some better final grades if I had done all my assignments. So, for this semester, come what may, I will do every homework assignment. God help me.]

Looking forward to the new challenge!

Starting Measurements

140 pounds

[using the right side of the body]

wrist: 5 3/4 in

upper arm: 9 11/16 in

2 in above the knee: 17 1/2 in

3 in below hip joint: 23 9/16 in

hips: 40 3/4 in

waist: 28 6/8 in

bust: 36 9/16 in

• Like 1

Wood Elf

Level 2 Ranger

STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 5| CHA 2

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

First - Current 

Way to go!  That class sounds like an excellent way to learn and stay committed.  I took my fitness instructor certification in my third year of university and it definitely kept me active through school, which if i hadn't (and wasn't teaching fitness classes now) I'm pretty sure I would have gotten really unhealthy and heavy!    Oh yeah, and I'm an electrical engineer now, so I hear ya on the homework.  Your life quest to do all the homework is great.  But when you get to the point when you want to cry and quit everything, let it go.  It won't matter at the end of the year, or when you've graduated, or when you're out in the work force.  Sometimes engineering is a "pick your battles" kind of a game.  You can do it and it sounds like you're in the right place with the people to support you!  

Let's do this!!!

Hey Everyone! 

Cut out grains [3 pts CON]

[i'm really interested in starting Paleo, but I'm in love with dairy and I do like to snack on edamame (soybeans). I'm keeping the restriction small because when I'm at school it's really hard to keep myself to my workouts AND keep up with a diet when I have all this stress bombarding me, so that's why I'm just trying one thing slowly. I also have a lack of options for food which makes it really difficult to cut main food groups out so I have hope this will go well.]

Learn how to do the basic lifts with Starting Strength program [3 pts STR, 2 pts WIS]

[by the end of the challenge, I want to be able to properly do the workout outlined in the Starting Strength 3rd ed. I ordered the book on amazon and should be getting it by Jan 7th!] 

In terms of food choices, I cut out grains (except beer on weekend) esp. wheat and most of beans.  That made the biggest difference.

I'm about to putting back in beans, as a cheap source of protein. It's kind of a experiment. Also, I just want to make a batch of chili.

I'm Japanese and soy is a big part of my diet growing up. Tofu, soy sauce, miso and edamame were staple of my diet, and likely soy sauce (though tamari now), tofu and soy bean paste would stay.

I still make edamame sometimes but a lot less than before.

Dairy - if you are trying to lose weight, it's better to not have it, but otherwise, I think it has a lot of upside. In my case, I'm supposed to have extra calcium in my diet due to one of my meds, dairy is a necessity. (Vitamin D fortified preferred.)

In any rate, let's get stronger.

Racquet wielding rock gnome: Ranger - L6 - STR: 13, DEX: 8, STA: 13.5, CON: 12, WIS: 14, CHA: 11

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.
And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition…
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.†– Steve Jobs, Stanford University, 2005

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take. -- Wayne Gretzky

6Wks Challenges: #9, #8, #7, #6, #5#4#3, #2.5#2, #1

Match records MyFitnesspal Fitbit Runtastic Strava

@Jill Beat: Yea, I definitely relate to that! Organized exercise is usually what get's my butt off the couch to start with. My cardio fitness class last semester is what got me more motivated and thinking about really trying to dive into fitness, and then I stumbled upon this site. :) 
Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to not be so stressed this semester and I'm planning on taking only 12 credits so that's why I want to really do well in the classes I'm taking. 

@TennisGeek: That's good to hear that you could tell the difference by cutting out wheat/beans. I used to be a big bean eater because I went vegetarian for a while just to try it out, but the lack of options at school made it super difficult. Now, I'm back to lean meats and fish. Oh that's awesome, I'm always excited to meet people from different cultures! I live in a culturally diverse house, and we always have tofu available. I really enjoy it if it's prepared right. Oooh thanks for the advice! I've heard that for dairy, but I figured the amount of dairy I consume is not that much compared to the depravity I'd feel if I didn't eat it. I really rely on eggs for protein in the mornings and I do enjoy a glass of milk a day. I don't eat cheese that often, but I don't want to be restricted if I have the choice. 

Thanks for commenting you guys! I hope everything goes well on your side of things! Let's do this next challenge!

Wood Elf

Level 2 Ranger

"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

First - Current 

GL with the homework quest. I despise homework with white-hot passion of a thousand dying suns.  As for your 'get fit' goal, would a %bf be a good target to hit?

What kinds of lifts are you interested in?  Just various dumbell/barbell stuff?

Hey!

Getting fit while at University is something I tried to do for 4 years and failed at. If I hadn't joined the Dodgeball club, I'd probably have a lot more fat to burn through on my current challenge! I hope you manage it better than I did (finding Nerd Fitness was probably a good start  :) ).

Your goals look good. However, I agree with terosx about your main quest. It would be nice if it were more measurable in some way. 

Pip-Boy read-out: Level 3 Sentinel:  S(STR)- 3 | P(CON)- 6 | E(STA)- 7 | C(CHA)- 6.5 | I(WIS)- 8 | A(DEX)- 4.5 | L(LUC)

Scratched on the case are the words- "You don't need a reason to help people".

Hey Win_Chelchel, good luck on your second challenge! Are you using any apps to track your lifiting and eating? Just interested because I'm having a particularly hard time finding a good app for tracking strength training.

Hope week 1 is going great!

900 years of time and space, and I never met anyone who wasn't important.

Level: 2 |  Race: Time Lord | Class: Adventurer
STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

---

Check out my current Challenge here

See my first Challenge here

Wow! You sound committed for change! Ive certainly been in that situation when I feel burnt out at university and find it incredibly difficult to keep motivated. Tbh it's only since pre-NF have I managed to actually perform better! Hope for the best! Go for broke!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Hey everyone thanks for commenting! 

1. I'm keeping my main goal vague on purpose. The main goal is basically to complete the missions. I don't have the time right now to fully devote to tracking %bf and stuff like that. It's more about how I feel about myself and less about the stats. It's good to see when I'm improving but I see that by increasing time, speed, or distance on the treadmill and increasing weights with lifts. I also do not have a caliper. I am taking measurements though. I don't want to set a goal for those however because I'm not sure how my body will react to the weight lifting and I don't want to place unrealistic expectations on myself. For technicality sake, I can edit in that I would like a pair of jeans I own to fit comfortably. 

2. the lifts I'm interested are the ones in the starting strength book aka squat, press, deadlift, benchpress, power clean

3. I'm not using any apps currently. I used to use my fitnesspal for food, but it was too much of a hassle and I never stuck with it

Wood Elf

Level 2 Ranger

First - Current 

First mini-challenge

-thinking back on my last challenge, the reason I only got a B was because some things I would just forget about or I would be so busy I'd push off a workout. 

-Looking at my old goals, I know they're a little too high so I'm deciding to change 2 of them.

1. the workout 3 times a week: this would be ideal however, realistically with school and other things going on in my life, I might let the third workout slip. So I'm going to change it to 2 times a week

2. cut out grains: the last week has been interesting food-wise. I was at home partially and then I was moving back to school where the house I live in gets stocked by a third party and there was basically nothing by     non-perishables left over from before winter break aka grains. I'm changing this to I can have 1 grain a day, starting with this second week since before I could basically eat nothing but. 

-I'm leaving my life mission as is because this one is too important to relax on. 

Wood Elf

Level 2 Ranger

First - Current 

First Week Update

-since this week was crazy food situation wise with moving and the lack of food, I'm not counting it towards the total 6 weeks. 

-Workouts on Tuesday and Saturday

Tuesday: 333 cal. 3.09 miles, 34:00 minutes

-I received the Starting Strength book and read up on how the program works and how to properly do a squat

Wood Elf

Level 2 Ranger

First - Current 

Good job on making your goals more realistic and learning how to do a squat.  If possible try to check yourself out in a mirror! :)  Keep up the good work! Not to try to sound like someone's mom (because I'm not!) but how's the homework going?

Good job on making your goals more realistic and learning how to do a squat.  If possible try to check yourself out in a mirror! :)  Keep up the good work! Not to try to sound like someone's mom (because I'm not!) but how's the homework going?

Homework's going well! I'm kinda cheating the system a little bit, because one class doesn't actually collect the hw so if I have too much going on I put it off till I have time to do it. But, as long as I do every assignment I consider the goal fulfilled. 

Wood Elf

Level 2 Ranger

First - Current 

2nd Week Update

-Workouts: 

- Monday: treadmill interval training --  221 calories, 2.06 miles, 25:07 minutes

- Wednesday: first weight training class -- just worked on machines, began a beginner's salsa class that was in the evening for 1 hr and 1/2

- food: 

- I'm sticking to only one serving of grain a day pretty well, I sometimes slipped up this week. 

- homework:

- completed every hw assignment

Wood Elf

Level 2 Ranger

First - Current 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines