Xerla's Recovery

Xerla

Hello and Happy New Year guys!

Since I'm still recovering from the awful lung infection, I will do my doctor's advices to eat clean and only do light exercises for around 2 months.

MAIN QUEST

Fit into my target clothes (1 size smaller). And save Gretel, she's angry at me now XD

Action plan:
  1. Buy snacks only on Tuesday, Saturday and/or Sunday. Snacking is like part of me. I've tried to eliminate it but I just can't! So let's just embrace that unfortunate fact XD Okay, not really, now I'm going to take one step at a time by setting a reasonable limit. I won't buy any snacks on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday or Sunday. 
  2. Keeping my healthy lifestyle autopilot schedule (workout min. 3x/week and eat clean 80%). My Muay Thai trainer said that I should take my time for recovery. Hopefully next month I can go back to the training camp! In the mean time, I'm going to continue the Blogilates beginner calendar (30 minutes of bodyweight exercise), and Week 2 schedule starts next Monday.
SIDE QUESTS

Keeping my current schedule:

1. Learn Japanese 1 hour/day.
  2. Study pulmonology and aerospace medicine 1 hour/day.
  3. Duolingo 2 new lessons/day, around 15 minutes a day. I'm doing a challenge with my friend, currently I'm learning Spanish and now 8 days on track!
  4. Read Bible's Book of Jeremiah 1 chapter a day (5 minutes), now I'm on chapter 5.

I'm really excited to see my progress on snacking, it's a very tough one XD

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7
Intro | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Current Challenge

Firstly! Good to see you back with us again. Glad to hear you're healing and that you still want to work. That's cool.

Secondly: if you don't mind me asking, what kinds of snacks are you doing right now? Is it things like candy bars and granola and such or is it more like nuts and seeds? Depending on your situation, there might be an easier adjustment to make which would in turn help your chances of success.

Regardless! Glad to see you. Let's go get Gretel off the ledge, huh?

Secondly: if you don't mind me asking, what kinds of snacks are you doing right now? Is it things like candy bars and granola and such or is it more like nuts and seeds? Depending on your situation, there might be an easier adjustment to make which would in turn help your chances of success.

^This.  If you can swing getting nuts of some sort (even if they are the covered-with-salt kind), it's better than grabbing a snickers every day.

Have you tried cutting up veggies at home and using those to munch on?  I would cut a whole bunch of carrots, celery, and cucumbers and keep the sticks in the fridge to portion out each morning for my lunch/snack at work.  It was nice doing it ahead of time, since it didn't give me an excuse to NOT have them put away into my lunch bag.

Good luck with the challenge!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Firstly! Good to see you back with us again. Glad to hear you're healing and that you still want to work. That's cool.

Regardless! Glad to see you. Let's go get Gretel off the ledge, huh?

Thanks Kishi!

My snacks are all the 'good' food in the world, like cakes, biscuits, sweet breads, chocolates, salty crackers, cheese balls, etc. I don't really like candy, salty snacks, nuts and anything spicy and greasy. The best strategy to avoid it (so far) is not to buy it at the first place XD

Thumbs up for maintaining .. and thus improving your healthy habits.  even when you have to restrain yourself to not train to much. 

Thank you Nusuth! Glad to have your support again :)

Restraining myself from training is quite hard, because I tend to feel guilty if I didn't exercise for one day. But then when I was sick, I discovered that eating clean is the real deal to accomplish my goal, so I'm more relaxed now :)

Great goals! If you need a hand with Spanish, feel free to ask me. It's what I got my degree in.

Eilyd!! I'm so happy to see you here again!! 

WOW. You are like a goddess of language for me! You can speak Japanese and have a degree in Spanish?! Awesome!

I think Spanish is easier than Japanese (maybe because of the Latin alphabet) and currently I'm so amused by Duolingo's sentences like "los elefantes comen arroz"  XD

My friends think that I'm legit by spamming that sentence everywhere lol

^This.  If you can swing getting nuts of some sort (even if they are the covered-with-salt kind), it's better than grabbing a snickers every day.

Have you tried cutting up veggies at home and using those to munch on?  I would cut a whole bunch of carrots, celery, and cucumbers and keep the sticks in the fridge to portion out each morning for my lunch/snack at work.  It was nice doing it ahead of time, since it didn't give me an excuse to NOT have them put away into my lunch bag.

Good luck with the challenge!

Oh I've tried to roast some carrots before! I think I should do make it again. I don't really like nuts and cucumbers, but I think celery is a good idea! You inspired me to browse healthy snack recipes :D

---

Day 1 went quite well, but somehow I lost my appetite so I just drank milk for breakfast, ate ramen for lunch and another glass of milk for dinner with eggs. I also ate a steamed cake. I did a light bodyweight workout (25 push ups, roll up, 10 single leg lifts, 10 double leg lifts, 10 crunces, and few other pilates bodyweight moves).

Today (Day 2), I'm not feeling well. My chest hurt again and I had diarrhea! Maybe I drank too much milk?! Hahaha... So I skip college today and I have to cancel my aikido class. Too bad because it's supposed to be my first class after I went sick. Now my stomach is okay though. I ate chicken porridge for breakfast, steamed fish + sweet soy tempeh + tofu-beansprout stir-fry for lunch. I also ate some snacks (cheese sticks, cake) in moderate amount.

Sidequests went well, I'm still reading Bible, learning Japanese, Spanish, studying for college every day (that's a lot of studying!) and this autopilot schedule (including exercise) only take around 4 hours to complete.

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Oh I've tried to roast some carrots before! I think I should do make it again. I don't really like nuts and cucumbers, but I think celery is a good idea! You inspired me to browse healthy snack recipes :D

I've read somewhere that freshly made pinda-sauce is the answer to love all vegetable snacks.  I haven't come around to test it yet :/

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

Eilyd!! I'm so happy to see you here again!! 

WOW. You are like a goddess of language for me! You can speak Japanese and have a degree in Spanish?! Awesome!

I think Spanish is easier than Japanese (maybe because of the Latin alphabet) and currently I'm so amused by Duolingo's sentences like "los elefantes comen arroz"  XD

My friends think that I'm legit by spamming that sentence everywhere lol

The beginner sentences in any language are always so funny! Spanish is definitely less complex than Japanese, and more like English. Also the more languages you learn, the easier they become to pick up. I really like how Spanish and Japanese sound similar--the phonetic pattern is almost the same (consonant-vowel; not a lot of clusters of one or the other, like in English). The only trick is that eventually you will run into words that sound the same but mean very different things! "Dame", for instance: Japanese = "bad", Spanish = "Give it to me"

I've read somewhere that freshly made pinda-sauce is the answer to love all vegetable snacks.  I haven't come around to test it yet :/

This is the first time I ever heard about pinda-sauce, so I immediately browse around. And then I stumbled upon this. Being a native Indonesian, I never even realized that I have pinda-sauce almost every day! All I can say is, yes, pinda-sauce is the ultimate dressing for all vegetables XD You really have to try it, many people here claimed that they hate vegetables, but they happily eat them if the veggies come with pinda-sauce :)

Ah, yeah, I see. If the Paleo options aren't a thing that you would like, then they're not really a better solution for you, are they. Well, if cutting is the most successful way, then so be it. Maybe make a habit of just cutting one snack per day and seeing how your body adjusts would help?

Actually I like healthy nuts like almond, but well, since it's an imported food here, it's really expensive =/

Currently I'm cutting snacks a lot and I'm going to see the results next Monday!

The beginner sentences in any language are always so funny! Spanish is definitely less complex than Japanese, and more like English. Also the more languages you learn, the easier they become to pick up. I really like how Spanish and Japanese sound similar--the phonetic pattern is almost the same (consonant-vowel; not a lot of clusters of one or the other, like in English). The only trick is that eventually you will run into words that sound the same but mean very different things! "Dame", for instance: Japanese = "bad", Spanish = "Give it to me"

Yes sometimes it's confusing because one word has completely different meaning in other language!

What I like from Spanish and Japanese (despite their unique letters) is they have a similar pronunciation with my native language. It makes the whole thing a lot easier :)

Spanish words are sometimes similar with English, and the grammar is really similar with Indonesian language. Japanese was a complete alien at first, but now I'm starting to feel comfortable using it :D

---

Things are going well! I changed my Blogilates routine into DoYouYoga 30 Days Challenge. It's so easy and relaxing, but it made me realize that I actually like dynamic exercise. Well, I still can't do more intense workout, so I'll stick with it.

About food, I saved a ton of money because I stop buying snacks :D

yey! win!    Spend it all on Almonds :pride:

Good idea :D

Week 2 reward will be a bag full of almonds!

--- 

Week 1 went quite well!

Sure I snacked here and there a few times (I really just had to try the cakes from that brand new French patisserie!), but this time I got it under control by ordering just 1 slice of cake. It was tough. I had to choose between chocolate or custard. Custard/cream/vanilla is like my life, but chocolate is like, well, my second life XD Oh and there's cheese. Anyway, in the end, I chose something called "Flan Nature" instead of "Moelleux au Chocolat", because they don't have any cheese cake and I've tried Moelleux at other patisserie before. This experience made me realized that every food I eat must be either something I really really like, or something totally new and makes me curious. This mindset will prevent me from buying more than one slice of cake mindlessly. I really like dessert, I've tried to eliminate it from my life but it backfired. So I decided to embrace my tastebud preference and control it by making it more like a special occassion (once a week), and I have to choose just one slice. 

Week 1 results: I lost 1 kg (2.2 lbs) and I definitely feel my clothes loosened up a bit. Woo hoo!! I am happy.

I'm still doing the 30 days yoga challenge, which is getting harder everyday (today will be Crow pose preparation) and tomorrow I'm going to my Aikido class.

Oooh, crow. Crow is hard. And it gets harder if you hold it for time. I'm using it to train for planche, myself, and it's humbled me over and over again.

Good, though, that you figured out about dietary lapses and wanting them to be worth it. There's a good lesson in that. I hope you take it to heart. It'll help you, long term.

Yes sometimes it's confusing because one word has completely different meaning in other language!

What I like from Spanish and Japanese (despite their unique letters) is they have a similar pronunciation with my native language. It makes the whole thing a lot easier :)

Spanish words are sometimes similar with English, and the grammar is really similar with Indonesian language. Japanese was a complete alien at first, but now I'm starting to feel comfortable using it :D

I am glad everything is going so well! That cake really does sound delicious. Japanese is pretty much alien to any other language. Spanish does have some common background with English. I'm glad it is similar to Indonesian! That's something easier. :)

Good luck with crow! It's fun but so hard.

Oooh, crow. Crow is hard. And it gets harder if you hold it for time. I'm using it to train for planche, myself, and it's humbled me over and over again.

Good, though, that you figured out about dietary lapses and wanting them to be worth it. There's a good lesson in that. I hope you take it to heart. It'll help you, long term.

Crow sure is hard! I fell right onto the floor haha... 

I am glad everything is going so well! That cake really does sound delicious. Japanese is pretty much alien to any other language. Spanish does have some common background with English. I'm glad it is similar to Indonesian! That's something easier. :)

Good luck with crow! It's fun but so hard.

Thank you Eilyd! Still a long way to go to crow XD But I'm glad that I tried it :)

---

Week 2 progress:

- The pain in my left lung slowly fades away. It's still there, but it's getting better each week.

- I can do my regular routine now, including HIIT. I got terrible DOMS for 3 days but I'm happy that now I can do my workout like usual.

- I randomly measured my body using tape measurements and calculated my body fat percentage (26%). Still pretty new about this, so I don't know how to set a goal for it.

Week 3's focus is eating mindfully! 

Hey ya!

Snooping on over from the Japanese PvP.  I hope you're recovering well!  Sounds like you're taking care of yourself and pushing through, so yay!  I can't believe you're studying Spanish on top of English, Indonesian AND Japanese!  I must work harder!

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 - DEX 2.25 - STA 4.5 - CON 5.5 - WIS 6 - CHA 6

Introduction

Previous Battle Log     Current Battle Log

First Challenge     Previous Challenge     Current Challenge

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

What do we say to the god of failure?  NOT TODAY.

oooh, also a difficult one, so easily forgotten in advance & whilst eating

Yes especially when the food is so good I can't stop eating XD

Good goal. I might suggest checking your body fat using different methods, though--26% seems a bit odd compared to your appearance in your last set of pictures.

I think I'll go to a healthcare centre to measure it with body fat machine.. I heard that tape measurement is the most unreliable method to measure body fat :(

No wonder, I lost track of you! Didn't realized you switched over to the monks last challenge!

Hi Waldgeist! Nice to see you here! Yeah I'm visiting the monks guild from last challenge since I'm returning to the aikido and muay thai class XD

Hey ya!

Snooping on over from the Japanese PvP.  I hope you're recovering well!  Sounds like you're taking care of yourself and pushing through, so yay!  I can't believe you're studying Spanish on top of English, Indonesian AND Japanese!  I must work harder!

Hi Reach! Thanks for your visit and your support! Haha Indonesian is my native language and English is the second language here in my city (still need to improve my English though), so currently I'm only studying Japanese 80% and Spanish 20% XD 

::wave wave:: Hey! HEEEEY! Are you alive?

I'm aliiiveee XD

---

Hey guys!

Sorry for not showing up lately and thank you for keep checking on me :) I really miss NF!

Something really bad and serious came up around 2 weeks ago, and it messed up my balanced life.

Last week I completely skipped my workout routine, not eating clean (in one day I ate a lot, another day I have no appetite at all), not having enough sleep, not studying well and not learning Japanese nor Spanish because I was so not in the mood for doing anything that doesn't give me quick results.

In fact, I was not in the mood for doing anything, but sometimes I'm still doing my Bible goal.

Last week I went to the doctor for the regular monthly visit, he told me that I still have 6 - 9 months of treatment and I'm recovering greatly. He told me to be patient with the pain because it will take a long time to heal. But what shocked me was his first sentence when he saw me "Oh! You look chubbier than the last time I saw you!"

...oh no.

Well, he looked really happy because he was afraid that I'm going to have a huge loss of appetite due to the drugs' side effects.

And then on my way home, I thought about everything and I figured that I whether I'm in the mood or not, I should go back to work on my goals or things might get even worse. I just have to keep doing it no matter what, whether I like it or not, while finding solution for my current problem.

So since yesterday I continued my workout routine, try to eat clean as often as possible, studying Japanese again (not as hard as before, but I'm trying to do it everyday). Haven't continue my Spanish duolingo yet, and I'm still not in the mood for intense college study.

Things are not getting better right now, and I don't know whether it will be better or not, but at least things won't get worse if I keep working to reach my goals.

Even though I feel lazy to do anything right now, I feel a little bit better after doing my goal's action plans, That satisfying feelings of completing a plank challenge and understand the meaning of Japanese kanji I saw on my face wash are good enough to make me forget my problem for awhile XD 

Now that I have vented a bit and feel so much better, I will create a study schedule for this week!

And now you see why consistency is key. :(

It looks like your motivational doldrums struck you before your habit could fully develop, meaning that you weren't able to lean into psychology when the time came. That is not cool.

But if you want to get back on track and rock this out, you got a community of like-minded nerds looking out for you. :)

I am so glad that you are back! I missed you very much. I am sorry that bad things happened that through off your new, good habits. It is very hard to keep going, because one tends to think "Why do this thing? It won't change the fact that this bad thing is going on". But it is important to remember that the bad things don't define your life, and by continuing to do good, productive, healthy things, you negate the power of bad things to hurt you.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines