• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chiropteran_vir

Muscularity and martial arts

On 06/01/2014 at 4:55 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Mind you, Batman spent years practicing his arts, and also had enough money that he never had to do anything else to support himself, and, uh, had no family or friends to maintain relationships with.  

This, it's possible to be good at three martial arts and get jacked powerlifting.  But it will be costly and you will basically have no friends outside of the gym.

On 09/01/2014 at 6:21 PM, Draken50 said:

Yeah,  I think the reason it frustrates me is when someone who is underweight or just not very strong is told "strength doesn't matter." I can see the frustration in smaller students when someone newer but bigger comes in, and can seemingly do techniques easier than they can. If they're never told the advantages of strength, they'll just think that they're bad learners or just can't get it, when size really does matter.

You can make size matter a lot less with good technique.  It's worth trying to keep the small people focused on good technique as it pays off in the long run.  I know this, I am small and every one is huge.

Depends on your goals. Whatever time you spend in the weight room is time taken away from sparring/drilling/practicing technique in martial arts. I keep my strength training to 3 times a week, mainly big compound lifts with mobility and prehab work. Even that, I find it difficult to juggle with all the styles I want to train in (Muay Thai, BJJ, HEMA).

I find training for hypertrophy takes a fair bit more volume unless you're genetically gifted.

I'll throw in my output. i'm a martial artist turned into a powerlifter bodybuilder sort of. i'm 5'4 or 164 cm and i'm around 185lbs/84kg. i used to be a flyweight at my smallest. size hasn't caused any problems but stiffness due to lack of stretches and muscle maintenance and lack of stamina because i skip my aerobic training often are problems. if we look at heavyweight martial artists, brock lesnar in UFC was superfast because he was a wrestler who turned into a massive monster. then if we look at mariusz pudzianovski, he is slow and lacks technique because he was a mass monster and he fights on the world class level with less training experience than me. he isn't good wrestler but he won a judo heavyweight olympic medalist in wrestling with no training just because he is probably one of the strongest men ever to walk this earth. size doesn't make you slow, lack of training does. and most of the big guys aren't martial artists. and if you want to look like any of the guys who got their pics shared in this thread, it's most probably going to take PED's...

Did I post Rudolfo Viera yet?  Brb Viera posting...

4 hours ago, Hyperion said:

I'll throw in my output. i'm a martial artist turned into a powerlifter bodybuilder sort of. i'm 5'4 or 164 cm and i'm around 185lbs/84kg. i used to be a flyweight at my smallest. size hasn't caused any problems but stiffness due to lack of stretches and muscle maintenance and lack of stamina because i skip my aerobic training often are problems. if we look at heavyweight martial artists, brock lesnar in UFC was superfast because he was a wrestler who turned into a massive monster. then if we look at mariusz pudzianovski, he is slow and lacks technique because he was a mass monster and he fights on the world class level with less training experience than me. he isn't good wrestler but he won a judo heavyweight olympic medalist in wrestling with no training just because he is probably one of the strongest men ever to walk this earth. size doesn't make you slow, lack of training does. and most of the big guys aren't martial artists. and if you want to look like any of the guys who got their pics shared in this thread, it's most probably going to take PED's...

As a martial artist turner powerlifter turner martial artist turner powerlifter... I frequently get shit on for technique when I beat people.

Even better, I've had claims of people saying the only reason I'm winning in bjj is because of my tard strength from judo and powerlifting.  Couldn't possibly be technical when a 56kg female is beating 79kg females.

(ITT: more rudolfos)

Rodolfo.jpg

• Like 2

Nice thread resurrection. I thought this topic was really interesting.

10 hours ago, Tankweazel said:

Did I post Rudolfo Viera yet?  Brb Viera posting...

As a martial artist turner powerlifter turner martial artist turner powerlifter... I frequently get shit on for technique when I beat people.

Even better, I've had claims of people saying the only reason I'm winning in bjj is because of my tard strength from judo and powerlifting.  Couldn't possibly be technical when a 56kg female is beating 79kg females.

(ITT: more rudolfos)

Rodolfo.jpg

Haha, YES. Rudolfo Viera. We just had a presentation for school about strength and conditioning for BJJ, and it being a sport with weight classes, body composition was an advantage we found (as most elite competitors were found to be mesomorphs with an "overweight" BMI). My groupmate kept putting pictures of him on the PowerPoint, which I had to offset with Angelica Galvao and Gabi Garcia to keep the symmetry.

82564fbe68e4a2d4192d28767569f72b.jpgstill

Anyway, I have heard of some schools with that mindset. They even hate wrestlers, because of their *gasp* wrestling skill, which is probably still considered brute strength. This might be where ideology comes in. I train at a Carlson Gracie affiliate, and our professor got his bleck beltch from Carlson Sr. who supposedly had a more physical mindset towards Jiu-Jitsu. I have never been given any shit for being strong, and muscling your way out of submission never seems to be seen with any contempt. In fact my professor seems really proud of my R strength, and doesn't see anything wrong with me being at around the same technical proficiency as the guys I compete with, but I man-handle them. This must be the whole Helio vs. Carlson split (besides teaching poor people).

1 hour ago, Machete said:

Haha, YES. Rudolfo Viera. We just had a presentation for school about strength and conditioning for BJJ, and it being a sport with weight classes, body composition was an advantage we found (as most elite competitors were found to be mesomorphs with an "overweight" BMI). My groupmate kept putting pictures of him on the PowerPoint, which I had to offset with Angelica Galvao and Gabi Garcia to keep the symmetry.

Anyway, I have heard of some schools with that mindset. They even hate wrestlers, because of their *gasp* wrestling skill, which is probably still considered brute strength. This might be where ideology comes in. I train at a Carlson Gracie affiliate, and our professor got his bleck beltch from Carlson Sr. who supposedly had a more physical mindset towards Jiu-Jitsu. I have never been given any shit for being strong, and muscling your way out of submission never seems to be seen with any contempt. In fact my professor seems really proud of my R strength, and doesn't see anything wrong with me being at around the same technical proficiency as the guys I compete with, but I man-handle them. This must be the whole Helio vs. Carlson split (besides teaching poor people).

I agree with your group mate, needs more Rudolfo.  I've been reminded a few times already this year that I look very small at 57kg in powerlifting, considering it's a sport made of being stocky and stumpy I'd ideally be 72kg.  When I cut back down from 63kg this year it was really noticeable to every one in terms of size, my gym buddies all got a good laugh at me weighing at a whopping 56kg to fight at 66.5kg and then another laugh at me in the absolute final fighting a girl heavier than our heaviest guy that day.

My gym itself isn't too bad, just the occasional whinger.  Most of the guys in my gym congratulate me on having annoying AF top pressure and my improving guard.  I find it's more in comp, coaches and other girls kicking up fuss when they get beat.  I'll often get girls and coaches congratulate me on being technical and controlled though, then all "What, like that without a corner?"  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tankweazel said:

I agree with your group mate, needs more Rudolfo.  I've been reminded a few times already this year that I look very small at 57kg in powerlifting, considering it's a sport made of being stocky and stumpy I'd ideally be 72kg.  When I cut back down from 63kg this year it was really noticeable to every one in terms of size, my gym buddies all got a good laugh at me weighing at a whopping 56kg to fight at 66.5kg and then another laugh at me in the absolute final fighting a girl heavier than our heaviest guy that day.

My gym itself isn't too bad, just the occasional whinger.  Most of the guys in my gym congratulate me on having annoying AF top pressure and my improving guard.  I find it's more in comp, coaches and other girls kicking up fuss when they get beat.  I'll often get girls and coaches congratulate me on being technical and controlled though, then all "What, like that without a corner?"  

Haha. She also created out hypothetical athlete to be trained, whose appearance was based Pablo Popovitch, who also seems way too jacked. (We created an entire backstory behind our 22 year-old black belt with 10 years of experience, trying to win the Mundials.)

pablo_popovitch.jpg

Nice. I often forget about getting a corner myself. I know a guy who always got shit because he used to fight in MMA, and people at his gym kept calling him a "stupid wrestler" who "lays and prays." (I don't necessarily blame them, because he can be a bit of a douche, so it might just be his personality they hate.)

So you're a half-guard, Dela Riva player with a heavy top game? How's your mount, by the way?

P.S. (The pic we used to emphasize the hypertrophy phase.)

rodolfo-vieira-bjj-02.jpg

4 minutes ago, Machete said:

So you're a half-guard, Dela Riva player with a heavy top game? How's your mount, by the way?

I've got good control from mount but not a lot of submissions.  I need to transition to s-mount or try and force them into a back take.  

I'm getting there though, starting to finish triangles from mount.  Sangaku jime was something I never really used much in judo unless it was to bait in for an arm lock.

Leg attacks are starting to sneak in too but I don't actively seek them as they're not something I have an in depth understanding of.

There was an amusing clip of me attached to a purple belts legs with rdlr and him trying to shake me off, I accidentally deleted it though.

On 12/16/2016 at 11:07 AM, Tankweazel said:

I've got good control from mount but not a lot of submissions.  I need to transition to s-mount or try and force them into a back take.  

I'm getting there though, starting to finish triangles from mount.  Sangaku jime was something I never really used much in judo unless it was to bait in for an arm lock.

Leg attacks are starting to sneak in too but I don't actively seek them as they're not something I have an in depth understanding of.

There was an amusing clip of me attached to a purple belts legs with rdlr and him trying to shake me off, I accidentally deleted it though.

My mount sucks big time. Might be my short legs. I only use it for points, and mostly go to side control. I remember one of my MMA teammates actually preferred to be in my mount rather than my guard.

I'm ambivalent about leg locks, even though there was a time when I concentrated on them. I'm not seeing myself using them in the near future, but I feel like I should be learning them, though there would be limited practice. I don't know, I'm just focusing on the kneebar right now, watching that Dean Lister series on Youtube.

13 hours ago, Machete said:

I'm ambivalent about leg locks, even though there was a time when I concentrated on them. I'm not seeing myself using them in the near future, but I feel like I should be learning them, though there would be limited practice. I don't know, I'm just focusing on the kneebar right now, watching that Dean Lister series on Youtube.

For me it's more of a defence thing, I'm so far gone on choke set ups that I don't think I'll get leg attacks to the same proficiency.  But knowing where they come from and when to lookout for them will help a ton.

• Like 1