Ninja in training :D

So I found out about this place on tumblr (go figure) and decided to try it out. So here is my intro! :D

I'm from Hawaii, and instead of going to the beach, I stay home and play video games with the occasional night time skateboarding. It's gotten to the point where I became overweight and now if i don't do something about it, well i'm going to get bigger. In a place where it's bikini season year round, it sure puts a damper on my confidence. Since it's the new year and all I figured I would do something good for myself and try to lose weight and reform my body into something I can be proud of. I'm still incredibly new to how this works, but I'm willing to learn and start getting into shape!

Quick Facts

• Avid gamer
  • Engineer in training
  • I freaking love Steam Punk.

Main Quest

To be able to do Parkour! Bold choice, but hey, go big or go home :D

Not sure how to start but I'm open to suggestions.

Assassin-in-Training

Intro, Daily Battle Log,

Current Challenge

Twitter

Good on ya for wanting to do something good for yourself. My best advice is to ease in to everything. If you try to change too many things at once, you are more likely to fail. I was one of those guys to made the same new years resolution and failed two weeks in because I tried to completely change my diet on a dime and went too intense exercise to fast and got injured. Also, don't expect too much too fast. I would get frustrated if I didn't see instant change and give up. Keep the long term goal in your mind, but have short term goals to achieve in a stepwise fashion. Example=set a goal to eat a healthy breakfast every day. Too much? set a goal to eat a healthy breakfast 5 out of 7 days this week. If you have a slip up, put it behind you. Wipe the slate clean, do the next right thing. Progress, not perfection. My goto mantras when dieting are "boredom isn't hunger" and "hunger isn't an emergency".

\m/  Jason \m/ 

For fitness, start with the Beginning Body Weight Workout, or Angry Birds on the NF site. Then go to a Parkour site ( ask in the assassins, I'm sure someone has a good link) and pick one skill, like the roll or walking on a curb and practice it.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Steve did an article on parkour 

actually it was a guest post... linked here

lots of good resources :D

and welcome to the rebellion!! I also wanna parkour ;)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Good on ya for wanting to do something good for yourself. My best advice is to ease in to everything. If you try to change too many things at once, you are more likely to fail. I was one of those guys to made the same new years resolution and failed two weeks in because I tried to completely change my diet on a dime and went too intense exercise to fast and got injured. Also, don't expect too much too fast. I would get frustrated if I didn't see instant change and give up. Keep the long term goal in your mind, but have short term goals to achieve in a stepwise fashion. Example=set a goal to eat a healthy breakfast every day. Too much? set a goal to eat a healthy breakfast 5 out of 7 days this week. If you have a slip up, put it behind you. Wipe the slate clean, do the next right thing. Progress, not perfection. My goto mantras when dieting are "boredom isn't hunger" and "hunger isn't an emergency".

\m/  Jason \m/ 

Hey Metal, sorry for the late reply, been trying to get my workout all set before the challenge. Anyway thanks for the advice about taking it easy. I was about to do one of the intense workouts on here, you know "Go Big or Go Home", but after reading your response, I decided against it and went with the Angry Birds Workout. My goals seem pretty reachable and my schedule isn't too intense, so I have high hopes for this challenge.

Assassin-in-Training

Intro, Daily Battle Log,

Current Challenge

Twitter

Steve did an article on parkour 

actually it was a guest post... linked here

lots of good resources :D

and welcome to the rebellion!! I also wanna parkour ;)

I haven't read the article beforehand but thanks for sharing!! It was super helpful and it's something I look forward to working on after I get my body into shape :)

Assassin-in-Training

Intro, Daily Battle Log,

Current Challenge

Twitter

Sounds like we have similar issues, change everything then get frustrated and quit after one week when we don't see results, or change everything get hurt and give up!

Welcome, I know you'll find tons of support here and loads of resources to help meet your goals! Also third-ng the 'slow and steady' mantra...

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: No challenge this round

Spoiler

Really Eclectic Scorpio, Level 86

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|75|76|77|78|79|80|81|82|83|84|85|86|87|88|89|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My Blog |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I haven't read the article beforehand but thanks for sharing!! It was super helpful and it's something I look forward to working on after I get my body into shape :)

oh yeah... some of the things are things you can think about while you get in shape... no one would look at me (still 100 pounds overweight) and think of me as a parkour master... but I still approach it with the ideas in mind... I can't do wild crazy stuff yet... but I am learning... 

so don't put off your dreams until you are "in shape" start now work hard make it happen :D

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I have also chosen to try Parkour/Free Running; it's going to take me forever to get to even start though as I lack much strength and endurance... but! There is a Parkour place in Calgary, so once I meet my basic criteria (25 push ups, 50 squats, 5 pull ups, and a decent amount of endurance) I am going to start! Also, I am a fellow EIT (almost P.Eng!). Anyhow, I got excited to see some similarities that I have with you, so I wanted to post something. There is a bunch of jive online for Parkour (thankfully). Martial Arts taught me 'how to fall' so I am hoping that comes in handy when I finally start.

^,^

[Deleted]

I have also chosen to try Parkour/Free Running; it's going to take me forever to get to even start though as I lack much strength and endurance... but! There is a Parkour place in Calgary, so once I meet my basic criteria (25 push ups, 50 squats, 5 pull ups, and a decent amount of endurance) I am going to start! Also, I am a fellow EIT (almost P.Eng!). Anyhow, I got excited to see some similarities that I have with you, so I wanted to post something. There is a bunch of jive online for Parkour (thankfully). Martial Arts taught me 'how to fall' so I am hoping that comes in handy when I finally start.

^,^

Awesome! always nice to meet a fellow EIT and Parkour enthusiast (even though it's the beginning level). Side note, I think it's cool that you are from Canada. I want to visit there one day. Haha I agree with you on the forever part. Doing a rookie running workout and I've wanted to pull my arms and legs off while doing it. Good luck on your progress! You'll get there in no time :D

Assassin-in-Training

Intro, Daily Battle Log,

Current Challenge

Twitter

Hi Pyrorazor. I am a newby aiming to do parkour too. I am starting with the beginners body weight training, as I can't even do a single push up, and you have to start somewhere. 

Also love streampunk.

I'm really routing for you to succeed. Maybe we could be the first ever multinational streampunk freerunners? 

Goo d luck with the angry bird workout!

Hi Pyrorazor. I am a newby aiming to do parkour too. I am starting with the beginners body weight training, as I can't even do a single push up, and you have to start somewhere. 

Also love streampunk.

I'm really routing for you to succeed. Maybe we could be the first ever multinational streampunk freerunners? 

Goo d luck with the angry bird workout!

Hey! call me Pyro :D lol yeah don't worry I can't do planks so don't feel alone.

sweet! I love everything about it :D

Thank you! Me too! I shall root for you in that you are able to do at least ten push-ups without breaking a sweat. Haha I'm down for that. Run around in waistcoasts and goggles xD.

Good luck with your BBWW!

Assassin-in-Training

Intro, Daily Battle Log,

Current Challenge

Twitter

yo pyro! While I'm not a free runner, I love the sport and I workout in the same gyms with a lot of those guys! precision parkour in honolulu next to Volcanic rock gym is a great place to start. they have beginner classes for you and as you get more comfortable with basic tricks there's a gymnastics gym in north honolulu called hawaii academy. they have an open gym time every monday and friday night. I'm usually there from 8-10 but I think they open it at 4pm? I'd have to double check. it's about 14 bucks for 2 hours! There are a lot of parkour peeps that are there constantly and everyone's happy to critique and help each other get better!

Also, let me know if you're interested in Bboy style stuff and/or hiking/rock climbing around Oahu!

good luck getting started! I'll be following you!

Quest: Run, aerial silks, handbalancing, and Roue Cyr

Life Goal: Professional cirque performer (secret identity) and Data engineer

yo pyro! While I'm not a free runner, I love the sport and I workout in the same gyms with a lot of those guys! precision parkour in honolulu next to Volcanic rock gym is a great place to start. they have beginner classes for you and as you get more comfortable with basic tricks there's a gymnastics gym in north honolulu called hawaii academy. they have an open gym time every monday and friday night. I'm usually there from 8-10 but I think they open it at 4pm? I'd have to double check. it's about 14 bucks for 2 hours! There are a lot of parkour peeps that are there constantly and everyone's happy to critique and help each other get better!

Also, let me know if you're interested in Bboy style stuff and/or hiking/rock climbing around Oahu!

good luck getting started! I'll be following you!

Oooo I had no idea there was a parkour place! The more I know. cools :D I'll check both places out once I get back into shape!

also, I'm totally down for going hiking and rock climbing! I love being active, but I hate doing it alone. so yeah whenever you go I'll be happy to join you. :D

Thanks for following me!

Assassin-in-Training

Intro, Daily Battle Log,

Current Challenge

Twitter