A Walk with Wendler

Cort

The Human Experiment Continues

Last year I completed my first two challenges ever and made some substantial newbie gains doing the 5x5 program. After hitting some plateaus, I have moved to the slow but steady method of Wendler's 5/3/1 program. My goals are to continue making gains with 5/3/1.

Currently lifting (lbs):

Squat - 145

Bench - 92.5

OHP - 62.5

DL - 165

6-Week Goals (lbs):

Squat - 165

Bench - 110

OHP - 70

DL - 200

Side quests will include accessory work to build up pushups & pullups and cleaning up the diet to detox from holiday madness.

Simple. Sustainable. Full details with weight and body measurements to be continued on my battle log.

Cheers

January 7, 2014 - Update

After contemplating my current challenge, reading the last NF article, and scrolling through some fellow nerd posts, I've decided that

I'm with Bacon.

So I'm updating my post with some life goals:

#1 DON'T SIT DOWN

Much like the last NF article, I have been struggling with finding my "passion" in life. Two Bachelors degrees, working on a Masters, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. But stagnation gets us nowhere. Once upon a time on deployment, I worked with a friend and Cardiologist who told me "If you don't want your patients to die - don't let them sit down. No one has ever been declared dead while standing up."

So I'm not letting my career sit down. I'm opening myself up for new opportunities within different areas of the hospital where I work and slowly aligning myself with staff education and training in order to "get a feel" for whether I would like to pursue it as an optional career change from the ED. With the downsizing of the military and the closing of several Navy Emergency Rooms, it only makes sense to work on a backup plan.

I'm not letting my personal education sit down. I have enrolled in my next class and will begin Advanced Toxicology in a few weeks.

I'm not letting my goal of parenthood sit down. We just celebrated 9 years of marriage but unfortunately have not been successful at progeny. This year, we hope to bring home a child from China who needs a forever family. Fingers crossed for this Aug/Sep if all goes well!

I'm not letting my soul sit down. I have been incredibly negligent of my spiritual life for many years. If anything in my life requires accountability, it is this. Because if Christianity means anything - it means everything - and if not - it means nothing. My mantra: James 1:2-8.

Finally, I WILL let my FEAR sit down. Much of my life has been treading on a sea of unspoken anxieties. Fear of letting myself down, fear of letting others down, fear of looking stupid, fear of failure, etc. 2014 will be the Year of the Beast. Thank you Steve for the article on going into Beast Mode.

After all, "Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive." (What movie?)

Cheers

Human Warrior

Non nobis, Domine. Sed nomine tuo da gloriam.

Warrior: Battle Log | Old Battle Log | #1, #2, #3, #4

First Warrior/Ranger Battle Log

Cort!! - Love the icon - from Bolt, right? My kid loves that movie, and that hamster and his undying determination - priceless.

I'm a Ranger, but I like to troll around Warrior land (want to be swoll and such). I keep reading about how great the Wendler program is. I'm eager to see you journal about your experiences over the next six weeks (will also check out your battle log).

All the best

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

Thanks FortBacon! Yes, it's from Bolt. Such an underrated Disney movie - Rhino is perhaps my favorite character of all time. There's much we can learn from his zealous commitment to honor, pride, and success.  :)

If you want to see more Wendler results, check out Malcore's battle log.  He's doing a One Year Challenge with 5/3/1 and is already killing it on OHP.

Human Warrior

Off to a good start. So far I have completed 3 of 4 lifting sessions for the week and put in 1 cardio session. Diet has been much improved from Holiday entropy, but I still need to squeeze in more protein and vegetables.

Goal for the rest of the week: lift tomorrow and get at least 2 more "other" cardio workouts in before Sunday (especially if I find myself at the winery with friends on Saturday).  :)

Details begin on page 8 of The Battle Log

Human Warrior

Just finished my Week 2 of Wendler!  Things are progressing nicely. Looking forward to week 3!

My main problem is I get bored with my food after a while.  I can only eat so much turkey and ham, carrots and green bell peppers before it starts to feel monotonous.

Human Warrior

Human Experiment Data

The following are my measurements since my first challenge last year.

Body Measurements

August 15, 2013

Weight - 145lbs

Thigh - 23"

Hip - 36"

Waist - 32"

Bicep - 10.5"

Calf - 14.5"

September 6, 2013

Weight - 141.6

Thigh - 22.5"

Hip - 35"

Waist - 30.5"

Bicep - 10.75"

Calf - 14.5"

October 22, 2013

Weight - 140.9

Thigh - 22"

Hip - 35.5"

Waist - 30.25"

Bicep - 11"

Calf - 14.5"

Overall changes from August to October were substantial:

Weight: -4.1lbs

Thigh: -1in

Hip: -0.5in

Waist: -1.75in 

Bicep: +0.5in 

Calf: no change

Now we fast forward to the current challenge.

January 6, 2014

Weight - 146lbs

Thigh - 22.5"

Hip - 36.5"

Waist - 34.5"

Bicep - 11"

Calf - 14.5"

So what the heck happened between October and now?  Well, we started the process to adopt, and with that initiation came tons of paperwork, administrative and legal processes, and pre-adoption training hours. Needless to say, it was a little overwhelming and sort of took over my life for a while. But now, most of the heavy administrative tasks are done and we are playing the waiting game.

The holidays also happened - so that should go down in the history books as a giant "refeed."

In October my clothes were just starting to fit well again.  Now I'm back to muffin tops and discomfort in the majority of my pants. If I admit these changes to myself, and remind myself of them often, I am more likely to be motivated to correct them again.

From October 22 to January 6 I allowed myself to get lazy which resulted in the WRONG kind of gains

Weight gain of 5.1lbs

Thigh gain of 0.5"

Hip gain of 1"

Waist gain of 4.25"

Bicep LOOKS like it stayed the same, but I think my beginning measurements were bicep FLEXED whereas my last

measurements were all relaxed.    

Calf no change

The take home message seems to be that I can pretty much eat whatever I want and I won't have to worry about my calves ever changing.

The bad news, is it looks like my body likes to carry most of its excess weight in my belly - hence the huge waist gains after the holidays. Bleh.

The good news, is my lifts have continued to go up, so at least there is progress there...

Human Warrior

Tracking More Numbers

Starting Lifts from August, 2013 (lbs):

Squat - 100x5

Bench - 85x5

DL - 110x5

OHP - 50x5

Lifts by October, 2013 (lbs):

Squat - 150x5

Bench - 102.5x3

DL - 165x5

OHP - 60x6

Lifts in January, 2014 (lbs):

Squat - 155x4

Bench - 102.5x4

DL - 172.5x8

OHP - 67.5x3

*Note: I started a new program (Wendler 5/3/1) at the end of October and started with a substantial deload and slowly worked my way back up.

**Note: I took leave twice between October and November for a week each time and did not work out those weeks.

***Note: I took Christmas/Anniversary leave for a week at the beginning of December and did not work out that week.

Overall = I'm happy with my lift gains, no matter how slow, now that I'm on Wendler's program. However, I am pretty unhappy with my nutritional performance since I lost focus back at the end of October.

The gains are modest between October to January, but at least they're still gains. Now I just need to get my diet and cardio routine back in sync so I can shed my "hibernating-bear" fat.

Human Warrior

Slow gains are still gains.  Even the tiniest changes week on week add up over the long haul :)  Plus, slow gains translates to reduced risk of injury, which is awesome.

Thanks for weighing in Scotticus!

Agreed. This is something I am starting to appreciate more as I continue with the Wendler program and read more about his philosophy on lifting. After my newb gains, I was trending toward impatience and wanting to see huge changes in my lifts like I did at the beginning. But the reality is that plateaus will happen and the most important thing I can do is keep focused and stay the course.

Plus, my birthday is next month, which means I'm getting older, which means I need to avoid injury even more these days, haha.  :)

Human Warrior

Thanks ORazor!

So it just dawned on me today that I met one of my challenge goals on the 21st and didn't even realize it.  That was the day I was going to take a rest day because my body was just generally feeling beat up, but my husband urged me to push through it.  I hit OHP for 70lbs that day, which was a 6 week goal that I hit (does the math...) 3 weeks early?

I don't think I did the math very well for my other goals though, considering that next week is Wendler Week 4 = Mando deload week, so I don't know if I'll be able to hit my other goals during this 6 week challenge. Maybe if it was an 8 week challenge - that way it would cover 2 full cycles of 4 week Wendler programming.  Oh well.

Human Warrior

Other Updates and Good News

Career:

- Taught one EMT class this week and will teach another next week.  The slow alignment with staff ed and training continues... 

- Also working on a new collateral project to ensure our hospital is meeting all the JC standards (snore) - what a boring project, but important from a command standpoint. 

- I am also proud to report that despite being a newly promoted LT (August), I received a glowing fitrep this period putting me in the Must Promote category.  Hard to explain if you're not military, but basically that doesn't typically happen for newly promoted ranks.  The bad news is, I'm going to have to find new ways to be stellar in order to keep my fitreps moving in an upward trend. 

Education:

- Finally got my Advanced Tox textbook, so class begins one week from today.  My advisor said it was the hardest class in my program, so I am excitedly determined to do well.  Plus I just plain miss my nerdy science class days!  The more challenging the material, the greater the glory when I dominate it!

Parenthood:

- One step closer to the next step. Homestudy finished, now on to the next batch of paperwork.

• Like 1

Human Warrior

End of Week 3 - Challenge Halfway Point

I fudged a little bit on my prescribed lifts for the day yesterday so I could attempt that 110 bench before going to a deload next week.  Week 4 of Wendler is an automatic deload, and I was afraid if I didn't squeeze it in this week, it would be several weeks before I get back to that number just due to the programming.

SO

At the halfway point I have met TWO goals:

OHP 70 for 4

Bench 110 for 2

That's the good news.

The bad news is I still need to buckle down on my diet.  As I was reading through the 5/3/1 manual last night I hit the topic of nutrition.  This quote really struck me: 

"All it requires is discipline; if you don't have that, no eating plan can help you." Jim Wendler

Sometimes life needs a reset button. Today, this quote is my button.

Human Warrior

End of week 4

The deload week has ended.  Tomorrow will be the start of my next 4 week cycle, so I'll be right in the middle of it when the 6 week challenge ends.  Timing is a little off, but oh well.

Re-downloaded a fitness/calorie tracker diet app thingy today to my phone to help keep me more accountable on my intake.  According to my food journal, I've stayed pretty well on track calorie wise, but I took a look back today at my Pro/Cho/Fat numbers and found them to be sorely lacking in data.

The excel spreadsheet I was using in the past was a bit cumbersome, so I'm hoping by using this app as my daily tracker I'll get better input on how I'm doing in my macro categories.

It's already helped with today's food goals, since I know I'm having wings for dinner.  Went ahead and plugged that in so I know what I can have for snacks in between now and then.  :)  Sooooooooooooo much easier than the spreadsheet...

Human Warrior

Yeah, so, I used to have that on my phone, but I deleted it for some reason. Don't remember why, but I do recall there was something about it that I just didn't like. I'm using "Lose it" now - which is another one I've used in the past, but also deleted from my phone a while back simply because I was purging programs that weren't getting much use.  I just wanted something simple that would add numbers, give me a pro/cho/fat pie chart, and let me scan barcodes.  I don't use it to log exercise because I log my exercise elsewhere.  My current app is perfect for what I wanted.  

Now if only I could find an app that would cook and clean up after wing night tonight....

Human Warrior

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines