obax gets serious (again)

obax

Hey Obax!

I was silly this challenge and forgot to go into OTHER guilds to follow my peeps.  All better now.  Cilck click!  Hi!

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Today's Workout:

Climbed, with my friend again. We actually didn't do much top rope, she wanted to try the bouldering a bit, but doesn't have the upper body strength to even do a yellow (though they were in the process of resetting the walls for their ~monthy mini-comp, so the yellows were all on the harder side). I played with some fun new green and white ones, and showed her a few things (not that I really know what I'm talking about). I did a couple of top rope routes, and think I've decided I like bouldering better, and I figured out why. I chicken out at or just above the level of the bouldering walls, and I think it's partly because I'm not used to being attached to a rope and so am afraid of falling (as I would be at the top of the bouldering wall), and partly because I'm not 100% trusting of my friend. There's no reason for me not to trust her, other than her inexperience, I'm just not naturally a trusting person (not naturally distrusting either, just neutral with my trust). I wonder which of those things is the larger influence, but I don't think I'll be able to tease that out unless I get a super-experienced person to belay me and see if I'm more willing to take a leap of faith when I'm 20 feet up... Though I don't know if a super-experienced person I barely know would be any different than an inexperienced person I know a bit better. What I really need is a super-experienced person I know really well, which does not exist... There is one guy I know kind of well who's super experienced, but he lives 3 hours away...

Anyway, I'm super excited to go bouldering next time (hopefully Friday), there are a whole bunch of fun new routes to work on. One of the white ones has a mini dyno in the middle (only 'cuz I'm not tall enough to reach), I can make the jump but can't control my swing enough to maintain my grip, but it's fun to try.

I've also pretty much decided to just bite the bullet and get a harness, though it might not happen for a little while yet. The gym ones are NOT comfortable, and even if I only use it a few times while I have a climbing partner and then go back to bouldering, I've at least got one of my own if the opportunity arises.

Also, holy crap sore after yesterday's pushups. Ow...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

The answer is practice falls! Start at 5 feet up, where it wouldn't hurt if she didn't catch you, then go a bit higher and fall again, and higher and fall again. But you know what, even though I am a top-roping fiend, I still get a little rush of fear and triple-check my rope system on my first climb of the day. Still, it's good to have a proven trust in the gear, otherwise it will definitely inhibit your ability to go for big moves up high.

Good job on all the climbing so far! 

Wood Elf Assassin

-------------------------------------

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

LVL 2 | STR 3 | DEX 7 | STA 5 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

"It goes, boys."  - Lynn Hill

The answer is practice falls! Start at 5 feet up, where it wouldn't hurt if she didn't catch you, then go a bit higher and fall again, and higher and fall again. But you know what, even though I am a top-roping fiend, I still get a little rush of fear and triple-check my rope system on my first climb of the day. Still, it's good to have a proven trust in the gear, otherwise it will definitely inhibit your ability to go for big moves up high.

Good job on all the climbing so far! 

It's not the gear I don't trust, per se, I just am not certain about her inexperience and how that would relate to my safety in the case of a fall. I'm also not confident of my own inexperience and how it would relate to her safety in the case of a fall. I'm a bit better at taking risks on the top rope wall than the bouldering wall, but it's in my nature to 'What if?' just about everything. I think it'll be a case of just having to get used to it. I think it's also a bit becasue I don't fully understand how a gri-gri (or however it's spelled) works... I get it sort of but not entirely.

Practicing falls is a good idea, though, I'll have to suggest that next time. It'll be good for both of us, so we both know what it feels like on both ends of the rope when someone falls.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Oh, that makes sense, I've never used a gri-gri and I would be a little apprehensive as well! I think they are a little more complicated than regular ATC belay devices. Does your gym have a requirement or something?

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

Oh, that makes sense, I've never used a gri-gri and I would be a little apprehensive as well! I think they are a little more complicated than regular ATC belay devices. Does your gym have a requirement or something?

Uncertain. That's what they choose to use, and there are reasons but I don't remember what they are. The dude explained it in a basic way. I think it's designed to let the rope move freely in either direction so long as it's going slow, but to catch when there's a sudden jerk. But I think they guy said that you have to be holding the rope the goes out the bottom of it tightly for it to work properly, and that's the part I don't trust, in myself or my friend, that we really realize how hard we have to hold the rope to ensure the grigri works properly. That's why your idea of practicing falls is a good one, it'll give us both the feel of what it'd be like to be the belayer when someone falls and how hard we have to hold the rope.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Also did some stretching, yay! I think it was Lilith that posted this video for a shoulders-focused yoga routine, and I gave it a go. It was a little intense for me, my shoulders and pecs are sore from the pushups yesterday, and are not as flexible as I like to think they are, but the end result was a good feeling. There are still lots of aches and pains, but it's definitely looser. I'm going to explore that website more, I already found a video for hands and wrists. Maybe instead of a general stretching goal, I'll try to do one of these yoga videos a day, or at least more often than 'never'...

Also remembered to write on my calendar.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I wonder if you're going to become this girl's climbing mentor. Whether or not, you do, it's still great to see that you're not alone and have found someone to climb with.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Moving Plank Thing (on paralettes): I made up a plank sequence of Hollow Body->Right Side->Hollow Body->Left Side, holding each for about 10 seconds, and did 3 (?) reps of this for a total of ~2:07. My shoulders gave out before my abs did, but I can feel it a bit in my obliques, so it must have worked something

This sounds really interesting and wonderful!   Do you have a video somewhere of this?  Or would you ever be willing to make one?  Or in lieu of that, an animated gif of stick figures to show what you mean? :)  

I am really into planks and core work like this, and once I am back into shape from my unplanned 3 week break, I want to start advancing the plank stuff into more variations.

Your climbing sounds so cool too.  I wish I wasn't so terrified of edges, or hanging from them!

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Holy shit that's cold! My dog would probably love it, she's a snow dog... but really that's very cold.

Nice work, i can imagine it was tough on the shoulders.

Are you going alone on friday?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I wonder if you're going to become this girl's climbing mentor. Whether or not, you do, it's still great to see that you're not alone and have found someone to climb with.

Dunno. I think she's attempting to get herself into shape, but suffers from poor motivation, and is using this as a bit of a habit-former. We've never really discussed what her goals are, or if she even has any.

This sounds really interesting and wonderful!   Do you have a video somewhere of this?  Or would you ever be willing to make one?  Or in lieu of that, an animated gif of stick figures to show what you mean? :)  

I am really into planks and core work like this, and once I am back into shape from my unplanned 3 week break, I want to start advancing the plank stuff into more variations.

Your climbing sounds so cool too.  I wish I wasn't so terrified of edges, or hanging from them!

I don't really have the ability to make a video, at least not easily, not to mention I'm horribly camera shy... I could try to make some stick-figure instructions, but I can barely draw a straight line with a ruler, so they might not actually make sense. I'll see what I can manage, though.

RE: climbing. You should just go for it! I'm scared of heights too, that's part of why it's so fun!

Holy shit that's cold! My dog would probably love it, she's a snow dog... but really that's very cold.

Nice work, i can imagine it was tough on the shoulders.

Are you going alone on friday?

That's exactly what I said when I heard the weather on the radio! Actually, the conversaition went like:

Me: *incredulous* Did he just say MINUS 41?

My dad: *not looking up from the crossword puzzle* Yep.

Me: Holy shit that's cold! *gets under blanket with coffee and determines not to come out until spring*

My dogs are winter dogs too, they love the snow, and even they weren't happy with the cold. I literally had to keep warming up their paws with my hands and we were only out for about 20 minutes...

I dunno if I'm climbing alone tomorrow or not. My friend made mention of maybe wanting to go but we never settled anything. I wouldn't mind a solo session, we'll see how it turns out. I might go early and do my own thing for a while, and then we could meet after if she wanted.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today:

Planned to run, but then had to work all day (and it was a beautiful day to work through, made me cranky that I had to be inside dealing with customers and, more irritatingly, coworkers). And then I got home and was going to go anyway in the dark, but fell asleep instead. And now I'm full of dinner and not getting out of my warm bed to go into the cold outside. I might do some pushups and such later, but more likely I'll just drift off to early sleep in front of the tv... I'm not in the greatest mood today, I'm hoping this is just a one-day, lack-of-sleep-related funk and not something more long-lasting...

On the plus side, I got a 'We're Sorry You're Poor' cheque from the government today, and it's more than enough to get a climbing harness. So I shall be whisking myself off to MEC as soon as I can to see what I can acquire! And I might have to get some astronaut ice cream with what's left over... And by 'might' I mean 'will definitely'. Cuz I love that shit.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today:

Planned to run, but then had to work all day (and it was a beautiful day to work through, made me cranky that I had to be inside dealing with customers and, more irritatingly, coworkers). And then I got home and was going to go anyway in the dark, but fell asleep instead. And now I'm full of dinner and not getting out of my warm bed to go into the cold outside. I might do some pushups and such later, but more likely I'll just drift off to early sleep in front of the tv... I'm not in the greatest mood today, I'm hoping this is just a one-day, lack-of-sleep-related funk and not something more long-lasting...

On the plus side, I got a 'We're Sorry You're Poor' cheque from the government today, and it's more than enough to get a climbing harness. So I shall be whisking myself off to MEC as soon as I can to see what I can acquire! And I might have to get some astronaut ice cream with what's left over... And by 'might' I mean 'will definitely'. Cuz I love that shit.

I haaate working during a nice day. Ugh. The worst. Also, your government sounds nice. Yay for harnesses! Lol.

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

Nice Obax, I've never tried Astronaut Ice Cream, how is it?

and man! I'm hoping that you stay warm!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

It's not the gear I don't trust, per se, I just am not certain about her inexperience and how that would relate to my safety in the case of a fall. I'm also not confident of my own inexperience and how it would relate to her safety in the case of a fall. I'm a bit better at taking risks on the top rope wall than the bouldering wall, but it's in my nature to 'What if?' just about everything. I think it'll be a case of just having to get used to it. I think it's also a bit becasue I don't fully understand how a gri-gri (or however it's spelled) works... I get it sort of but not entirely.

Here, to see how a grigi works http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6EzpBaKYTs  To get my diploma for indoor toprope I had to learn to belay with all kinds of different things. The instructor suggested to all of us we get a grigi, because it is BY FAR the safest option. It autoblocks. So basically, if your belay partner drops dead on the floor, he or she is still going to be a magnificent dead counterweight that will keep you from doing splat. Our route builders do so without a belay partner, just with the grigri (I'm not sure of their actual setup, I think they tie the rope to a rail or something). Anyway, the great thing is, it doesn't matter if she's too late to 'catch' you as you fall. As long as she doesn't give dangerous amounts of slacks (which you would notice, and you can just stop climbing then) there's just no way you would fall. Trust in the grigri, really. Oh and fall. Our instructors made us fall really often. Hated undoing those knots after falling into them a few times. 

Also did some stretching, yay! I think it was Lilith that posted this video for a shoulders-focused yoga routine, and I gave it a go. It was a little intense for me, my shoulders and pecs are sore from the pushups yesterday, and are not as flexible as I like to think they are, but the end result was a good feeling. There are still lots of aches and pains, but it's definitely looser. I'm going to explore that website more, I already found a video for hands and wrists. Maybe instead of a general stretching goal, I'll try to do one of these yoga videos a day, or at least more often than 'never'...

Also remembered to write on my calendar.

The yoga routine is a bit too intense for me too on some parts but you really do get more flexible as you do them more often! Great that you're going to try yoga more often yay! 

Astronaut ice cream is just freeze dried ice cream, but with a picture of a space-walking astronaut on the front. I first had it when I was a kid at the Science Centre on a school trip, and have been in love with it ever since. For a long time, the Science Centre, and (strangely) the Museum were the only places I could get it, so whenever my mom gave me money on a school trip that's what I got. Then I noticed it at MEC (a Canada-wide co-op store for outdoor gear) one day and it was the greatest day of my life. Now I get a package every time I go.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Oh, also, an announcement:

HOLY SHIT! I have an interview with my #1 police force choice! On January 22! That's, like, really close!! GAHHH!

I'm trying very hard not to freak out. I feel like this challenge could slide a bit during my preparations. But that's ok, this is more important and much more immediate than my retest...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

WOOOO!  Congrats!  That's awesome news.  Don't freak.   Just focus. :)  And yes, it is okay to let challenge stuff take a slight back seat while you aim for this.  That is sensible!!

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

WOOOO!  Congrats!  That's awesome news.  Don't freak.   Just focus. :)  And yes, it is okay to let challenge stuff take a slight back seat while you aim for this.  That is sensible!!

Wow!!! That's amazing news. I'm so happy for you! I'll be crossing my fingers that all goes well!

Thanks! My freaking out is a controlled freaking out. It mostly involves doing what I need to do to prepare without thinking too hard about how scary it all is...

And @Starpuck: I've gotta try to not let it take too much of a back seat, I'll still probably have to do the physical again before I'm actually hired. But for example, today I cancelled the climbing I had planned in order to phone people/go to government offices to try to gather all the various certificates I need to have for the interview. It sucks that I had to skip climbing, but I knew that if I didn't do it all right away I'd forget come Monday and then be in a world of trouble, since the government is never fast at mailing me the things I ask them for...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Today:

Ran 2k in 10:27. I'm fairly pleased with the time considering a number of things conspired against me to make this run somewhat less enjoyable than average. These things were:

Wind - chillier than anticipated

Toes - also chillier than anticipated

Traffic - heavier than usual due to later than usual leaving time

Sleepiness level - higher than normal, due to several nights of poor sleep and one early morning I haven't recovered from yet

One Particular SUV who refused to move over even though they had plenty of space - right at the steepest/hardest part of the giant hill, and I had to jump off the road and stop to let them pass. Getting started again was less than easy. There were curse words involved on my end...

Head - hurting a lot due to the weather going from arctic deep freeze to gentle springtime rain in approximately 7.34 seconds.

Skipped climbing in favour of sudden searching/running around for all the things needed for my interview (see announcement above). I have 2 left to acquire, one shall be taken care of Monday, the other I'm waiting for step 1 to arrive in the mail, and will be taken care of as soon as step 1 arrives.

Tomorrow is hockey, and also a get together with some friends I haven't seen in a while. Sunday will probably be another run and work, maybe some video games.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Oh, also, an announcement:

HOLY SHIT! I have an interview with my #1 police force choice! On January 22! That's, like, really close!! GAHHH!

I'm trying very hard not to freak out. I feel like this challenge could slide a bit during my preparations. But that's ok, this is more important and much more immediate than my retest...

That's really great news! I get the gahh, but also remember to bask in the awesomeness of it :)

I am amazingly impressed that you went for a run in that chilly weather and I'm sorry there wasn't anyone to warm your paws for you. Hope your spirits are higher now! 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

That's really great news! I get the gahh, but also remember to bask in the awesomeness of it :)

I am amazingly impressed that you went for a run in that chilly weather and I'm sorry there wasn't anyone to warm your paws for you. Hope your spirits are higher now! 

Ha, thanks. Baxter warmed my paws for me when I got home, at least until my dad starting doing stuff in the kitchen, at which point I was abandoned in favour of the possibility of food... Though it's not nearly as cold as it was, only like -1 or -2C plus wind, it's mostly just went and sloppy.

That's awesome news about the interview, congrats and best of luck!

Thanks!!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines