obax gets serious (again)

obax

Eh don't worry about how it sounds. I get it, and if writing it down helps, then you really should. This is the place for it afterall. 

Hope you're able to shake the mood and feel a bit better :)

Thanks. The interview thing is kinda weird to me, I mostly just do my own thing over here in my corner. I'm not so much a fan of the spotlight... It's actually baffling to me that others might be interested in what I'm doing, I really don't feel like I'm doing anything different or special. I've had a few different people tell me that they admire what I'm doing re: trying to become a cop, and I'm not at all sure how to respond. It makes me feel good but also vaguely uncomfortable. I'm not used to thinking of myself as someone who's worthy of admiration. Which isn't to say I think I suck, I definitely don't suck, I mostly just feel average.

This I definitely recognise.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

We all feel like that from time to time, and it's not a bad thing to be reminded of how awesome you really are, Obax! it's normal to feel down and pathetic, but that's why we have friends, to refresh our feelings of motivation and inspiration. It's like an old saying,

"Motivation doesn't last, well neither does Bathing - That's why we recommend it daily"
  • Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Hehe, your pursuit of that career pulls you out of the average box right away.   I think people look at others, and women especially, when they go for something that is deemed unusual or impressive by the standard social stamp, and immediately find some admiration or awe at that.  In my area, we have enough women hockey players to net a league comprised of 5 states and over 45 'clubs' each sporting 1-3 levels of teams.    Yet when someone finds out I am an adult woman playing hockey, it's all WHOAAAA.

You definitely sound like someone who knows their worth and has their self confidence holstered comfortably at the hip (hee, see what I did there).  Don't worry about it!  Just ... think of yourself like this kid.   

Judging by his modest goal celebration (on a freaking SWEET goal), I bet he's the type to consider himself average too.    And it inspires others to be as awesome average as him just by being that way!

On the other hand, you DO rock.  Just saying.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Don't worry about coming across as an attention seeker. You don't come across like that at all. It can be nice to just write out your problems, I do it too all the time! And don't think that it could be a lost cause. No point being miserable for it. If it is, at least you had additional happy times, and if you get the job, you worried for nothing! (I know that's hard to do in practice, but you could try!)

Yesterday:

Hockey. We lost, but I scored a sweet break-away goal. Oh, and knocked over a woman on the other team who is huge, and good, and knows it, and throws her weight around, and was shocked that someone might stand up to her, especially someone as small as me (and I'm not exactly petite). It was great.

I was also in a much better frame of mind. I think the day before was just a doubty day. I mean, I'm still nervous, and worried about the same things, but I'm able to not dwell on it and am back to feeling as good as I can about it all.

Also, I had a good chat with my cop friend on my hockey team. She made me feel a bit better about it all, and I'm going to have another chat tonight with another cop who's been helping me out, so hopefully that'll be good to.

Today will be shopping for something resembling a suit jacket, and probably nothing else. It's nasty out...

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Week 2 Sum-Up:

I ran once, climbed once (and it was a half-assed climb at that) and played hockey once, and that is all. I've had a hard time justifying the time needed for a climb when I have interview prep to do, and a hard time summoning up the motivation for a run when I'm stressed. Not excuses, but reasons...

I'm not going to go through each goal, I pretty much didn't do anything for any of them. I'm not worked up over this, or at least not too worked up over this.

Interview is tomorrow. I'm feeling nervous and maybe even a bit excited. Mostly I would like it to be done with. My plan for afterwards is to debrief myself as much as I can (ie. write down everything I can remember from the interview, so I can remember for next time if I'm not successful), then go get a climbing harness (finally). And then, depending on how I feel (ie. exhausted vs. not exhausted) I might go climbing at the big gym I've been wanting to check out for a while. I might just want to come home by the time I get back to my car, or I might just go check it out and see how busy it is before deciding.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Good luck tomorrow!  You sound like you have a great plan in place!    Bravo!

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

You'll do fantastic Obax! Just relax, keep calm and rock their worlds!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

I was remarkably calm, and as a result, I have passed the interviews! This means I have to do the psych in a couple of weeks, and they will be doing a background investigation on me, probably soon. And if all goes well with that, they might hire me! No idea how long that'll take, though, so the waiting begins. Again.

I did not go climbing at the big gym, nor did I acquire a harness. I went to the store for the harness and the nice lady helped me figure out what size I am, but they don't sell the colour I want, and that's more important to me than it should be. She was more than happy to help me even with the knowledge that I was going to buy it from the manufacturer's website, though, so it will be ordered forthwith. And I didn't climb after, even though I was in a pretty good mood, because I was (and still am) dead tired. I only slept 1-2 hours last night. So I came home and shared my good news and now I'm going to bed early.

Gotta get back to running and such. It's effin' cold out again, so it'll be tough, but I'll see what gear I can dig out to keep me warmish. Probably gonna climb on Friday with my friend, but if she's still not feeling well I'll go on my own.

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Congrats on passing the interviews! Way to go! Don't worry too much about missing the climbing session. Getting a step closer with the police process is so much more important than any workouts.

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yeah, but I was right there. But it's cool, I'll get to the giant gym one day... If everything goes well, I'll be living in that city sooner rather than later, and then I can just hop on the subway and go whenever I like.

And thanks! It's weird, after my tests, I felt so relieved to have them done because I was so stressed, it was just like 'Thank god I'm done with that, holy cow!'. Even though I was stressed beforehand this time, today went so smoothly, it's almost a bit underwhelming to come home and just be, like, 'Well, that went well.'

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Congrats on the awesome interview. If they come to me for the background checks, I promise to keep quiet about the assassin missions :playful:

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

YOU DID IT!! CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU SHOULD CELEBRATE... err whenever you have the energy :P

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Awesome job Obax!!!      Way to prepare for it all beforehand so you could go into it all steady and calm!    Very cool things happening with you chica!     Super congrats on it! 

And hey!  I totally know what you mean with the color.   It's like sometimes you find the PERFECT thing, except for one little 'that's not really what I wanted' about it, and it just simply, will not work.    It's ok.   Sometimes you just gotta get what you want darnit!

Yay again!  So happy for you!

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Thanks y'all. And I appreciate your discretion, EG...

I found the harness I want in the colour I want at a store that's not that far away. I was just going to order it from the manufacturer's website, but the shipping is almost $25, which is half the cost of the actual harness, with no cheaper option (I wish they'd give you a slow option, I don't need it the next day if it's costs that much). So, this afternoon, I'm on a mission!

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Woo!  I know nothing of harnesses, but the whole notion is bad ass and I like colors.   Can you share pics when you get it home? :)

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

This is my harness. That's probably a better pic than I could take on my own, and I won't be posting pics of me wearing it on the internet (as discussed on the Climbing PVP thread, I'm not overly a fan of what they do to certain parts, not to mention I'm terribly camera shy).

Also, I'm making soup.

Also, the glug noise the humidifier keeps making sounds, just for a second, like the sound the dogs make when they're about to yack on the carpet. I've been having momentary panics all day long...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Rofl, I know exactly what sound you mean. Good luck with that. 

It's awesome that your interview went well! And I hope it sunk in that it's worth celebrating a bit.. I'll cross my fingers things move along quickly- or at least as quickly as can be expected.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Super late but still very much heartfelt congrats on that interview!! I'm so happy you rocked this. Doesn't it feel awesome walking out of an interview and knowing that everything went great, and you're one HUGE step closer towards your goal? I'm really, really happy for you. You deserve it!

And I like that climbing gear. That's so much prettier than the super fugly neon-green and neon-orange gear we had in the climbing park when we went there. Agreed on what it does to parts, too. :D

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

Yay, your interview went well! I actually LOVE that harness they didn't have it at the shop where I went to look, but when I looked on internet beforehand I wanted that one because it was good and by far the prettiest I've seen! I have this one now which is also pretty but I'm already jealous of yours!

file_329_6.jpg

Yesterday:

Did some running around (metaphorically) but no actual running. I let myself use a bad headache and tiredness as an excuse to stay on the couch. It was probably the wrong choice, today's weather is slightly less cold but considerably more windy, so yesterday would've been a nicer day for a run.

I got myself out of bed somewhat earlier than usual today, so hopefully I'll find (make) time for a run before climbing. I'll be sans friend again, she's been having troubles with migraines and thinks going climbing is probably not the right choice. Having no real experience with migraines, I have no idea, but I'm inclined to think she's probably right, and either way, you gotta do what you gotta do in a situation like that.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines