The Holy Grail II -- Enhancing the Daily Battle Outside the Gym

Stronkey Kong

Hey everyone,

This is my fourth challenge.

My bigger goal is body recomposition -- burning fat and adding muscle. I'm an overweight noob so at least I get linear gains still. In the past I've done the usual, workout 3x a week, eat these macronutrient ratios, fix form, blah, blah, blah. These are ongoing battles that I feel require more experimentation, and I'm learning a lot of complicated stuff trying to figure out the best plan for me. If you're curious about that struggle or my latest crazy experiment, go here.

In the meantime, for the challenge I will be focusing on some other small habits to help with the recomp journey and improve my exercise and overall health.

Goal 1: Cutting down on gluten and dairy

Much to own chagrin, my diet is getting more paleo-esque. But, I will remind everyone here that the reasoning behind it is a gimmick based on a very shallow and narrow interpretation of evolutionary biology, genetics, and anthropology -- and yes, Darwins_Demon is getting his PhD in evolutionary genetics so he knows what he's talking about.

That said, such diets do benefit some people, I'm always up for an experiment, and based on personal I experience I will benefit from cutting some dairy and gluten from my diet.

I'm not giving up gluten wholesale, but just a few of the main sources of it in my diet -- wheat and barley.

For me this means giving up bread, pasta, cereal (grape nuts usually), and beer for the most part. I already get at least half of my carbs from rice, potatoes, and fruit. Oats will still be allowed -- they contain gluten but not much, and even most people with coeliac disease can handle them. Rye? I don't eat it much, but I don't know how it compares. I had spelt once or twice, but that was an anomally -- what else?

No dairy... except whey protein... my issue if any is with the lactose, not the protein. But I'm cutting the cheese, yogurt, and butter... these I'm usually fine with, but they add a lot of unnecessary fat to my diet, and they are kind of expensive.

Edit: I've decided that avoiding wheat and barley is enough for one challenge. Maybe I'll take on dairy at a later time.

Grading: 1 point for each day without consuming wheat or barley in some form, 1 point for each day without dairy (except whey).

Goal 2: Stretching and Mobility

I am going to spend 20 mins on rest days dedicated to stretching and mobility work, and 10 mins at the end of each workout. Mobility will target my hip flexors, ankles, and shoulders especially.

Edit: I'm going to increase my workout frequency to 5 days a week. Each of those five days will include 10 mins. of mobility and recovery work. I can supplement on my two off days as I see fit.

I've got my foam roller already. And a tiger tail is coming in the mail soon.

Grading:  1 point for each session of stretching and mobility work.

Goal 3: Daily exercise breaks at work Exercise 5 days a week.

I work at a computer at least 8 hours a day. I'm in the last year or so of my PhD so I'll be putting even more, 10+, hours a day to finish.

While I usually have a 20-25 min walk to and from work, that's not enough and I need to break the stagnant nature of my body and elevate my heart rate during the day. Thus, I will take at least 3 exercise breaks per day.

Edit: I will exercise 5 days a week. Sun, Tues, and Thurs. will be for strength training. Mon. and Wed. will be for circuit/cardio training. I prefer weight circuits, but I can take it easy with some light jogging, walking, or cycling if I'm too sore from strength days.

Each break will be 2 min dedicated to exercise. On rest days I can opt for mobility or a stretch of some kind.

E.g. pushups for 2 min, 2 min of tabata KB Swings, 2 min plank etc.

I'll also get a bonus point for finding new random opportunities to add exercise to my routine, like finding a new hill to walk over, or a stairwell, or some other obstacle. Maybe I'll eventually get a bit more assassin-like and do some half-assed parkour on my way to work.

Also, I have bought a 25 lbs. kettlebell that I plan to carry around in my backpack. Then I also have something to do KB swings and rows with during my exercise breaks at work.

Grading: 1 point for each workout.  exercise break, up to three per day.

Edit: Mini Goal: Knowledge is POISON!

I need to stop reading all different things about diet and exercise right now. It makes me want to keep changing things up. I need to find what works and stick to it. No new additions to my routine. No switches in diet from here on. No more books, websites. Just ignore everything and stay on track.

Life Goal: Get my dissertation outlined, and papers too

As mentioned above, I am trying to finish a PhD this year. I need to have a detailed outline for my dissertation chapters, and three publishable papers by the end of this challenge. I was supposed to do this during last semester and put it off till now.

Three chapters, plus three papers equals six. I'll shoot for one a week... but I will ultimately get one point for each relatively well-thought-out, detailed outline I have by the end of the challenge. I might do partials.

Grading: A = 6, B = 5, C = 4, D = 3, F = 2 or less pts.

MUSCLE OF THE DAY!

For rewarding those who follow and our mutual entertainment and education...

Each day, M-F, I'll post information on a muscle found on the human body. This will include, if possible: common name, anatomical name, exercises that work it, fun facts...

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Sub'd! :D

I love the fact that you are focusing on small habits! It's building and strengthening those small things that can make the big changes.

Whooo Hooo on some assassin-like training! I am a big fan of parkour. HUGE fan!

I have a sensitivity to some dairy. Milk gives me stomach aches a lot.

Awesome goals Darwin and I look forward to following and seeing how this all works out for you!

And the muscle of the day sounds like fun!

Have a fantastic Monday!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Whooo Hooo on some assassin-like training! I am a big fan of parkour. HUGE fan!

I have a sensitivity to some dairy. Milk gives me stomach aches a lot.

Awesome goals Darwin and I look forward to following and seeing how this all works out for you!

Okay... so... imagine you're sitting around people watching and you some guy walking by, he's tallish, chubby, looks like he maybe goes to the gym once in a while, and he just walks along at a sluggish pace until he comes upon a brick wall, let's say its about 6 ft high, and tries to climb over it. Jumps up a couple times, tries to pull himself up, but after a few tries gives up and just walks around it.

That's Darwin parkour.

Great goals and have subbed because (A) I want to see how your 2 mins of exercise go, and ( B) for muscle of the day.

Good luck with your challenge!

There's a door with a glass window next to my desk that goes into a neighbouring lab, and just inside the door is a sink that's usually piled high with glassware -- beakers, flasks, etc.

Now imagine you're working in that lab, and suddenly a 25 lbs. ball of black iron flies through the window and lands in the sink...

I'm sure some good stories, either real or imagined, will arise from this. I will have to find a safe place to do KB swings though.

Kettlebell in backpack is quite the idea! Good luck with this challenge, love the finding random opportunities for exercise.

I tried this a couple months ago with 2x10lbs dumbells, it was difficult to get them to not sit awkwardly in my backpack, but it made a huge difference in how I walked. A 25 lbs KB is gonna be fun.

Good luck with all of that...

Thanks for stopping by.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

FYI -- Changed my title.

Sub'd!

Awesome. Glad to have ya.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Holy crap. That's a lot of writing very quickly. In law school, I could crap out a 50 pager in about a week (assuming I had done the research already), but there's no way I could sustain that.

You are an animal.

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.

Current Challenge

Rawr!

RAWR! Glad you're back Kiwi!

Holy crap. That's a lot of writing very quickly. In law school, I could crap out a 50 pager in about a week (assuming I had done the research already), but there's no way I could sustain that.

You are an animal.

Umm... just outlines...

there is no way, in hell, I could write three chapters and three papers in six weeks, not too mention its gonna take at least six months before i have the data...

Crapping out 50 pages in a week, sustainable or not, that's impressive.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Okay... so... imagine you're sitting around people watching and you some guy walking by, he's tallish, chubby, looks like he maybe goes to the gym once in a while, and he just walks along at a sluggish pace until he comes upon a brick wall, let's say its about 6 ft high, and tries to climb over it. Jumps up a couple times, tries to pull himself up, but after a few tries gives up and just walks around it.

That's Darwin parkour.

Lol, Hey, I would still give you credit for trying! :playful:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Good luck with all of that...

I'm going to shadow wildross's sentiment here (or at least I think we're thinking the same thing) by saying that you've put a whole lot on your plate! Just don't want you to get overwhelmed. But some people thrive when they have more challenges/goals.

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I'm going to shadow wildross's sentiment here (or at least I think we're thinking the same thing) by saying that you've put a whole lot on your plate! Just don't want you to get overwhelmed. But some people thrive when they have more challenges/goals.

Nah... I just write too much. These goals are easy.

Here's the redux:

Goal 1: Avoid wheat/barley, and dairy.

Goal 2: Spend time on flexibility, mobility and recovery. 10 min after workouts. 20 min on rest days.

Goal 3: Do 3 short, ~2 min., exercise breaks at work.

I already do goals 1 and 2 sporadically -- I just want to hold myself to doing them more regularly because sometimes I forget.

Rawr! :D  Day 2!  *fist pumps*  We can do this!  Dissertation Monsters Be Scare of Us!  Rawr!

Rawr! We got this!

How's yours coming along?

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

I am looking forward to Muscle Of The Day.  Some of your science articles last challenge were awesome.  Good luck with the challenge!

"When I say 'Ascend to a higher level of consciousness'...you say 'HOW HIGH, SIR?!'"

- B Katt

Level 2 Warrior

Challenges - 1 - 2

Good luck with your challenge. I am lactose intolerant and it took a very unfortunate incident to make me stay away from many dairy products. I don't know how often you eat dairy but once you get away from it it's not so bad.

Wake up, lift, eat, sleep and repeat                                                                                             

STR 9 | DEX 3| STA 5.5 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 1.5

http://www.fitnessjourneywithwill.com

K. so...

I haven't posted for two days. While I have time to get most of my goals done. I have very little time to post updates everyday, especially considering this challenge is really just a small tangent from the main goal.

I'm much busier than expected. I have lots of code to write, simulations to run, results to write up, things to eat, and things to lift.

Just know that I'm doing well, and I'll be posting more intermittently. Probably on weekends, and dropping in to answer quick questions, make jokes, and give support to friends on here.

Also, I was looking forward to doing muscle of the day, but there really isn't anything I can post that most of you don't know already or can't quickly find on wikipedia and the rest of the internetz without my investing more time than its really worth.

So... sorry, no muscle of the day after all.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Just don't run yourself ragged Darwin! Will be looking forward to when you can check in and so glad all is going well! :triumphant:

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Just don't run yourself ragged Darwin! Will be looking forward to when you can check in and so glad all is going well! :triumphant:

agreed! glad to hear you're getting the important stuff done :D

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

agreed! glad to hear you're getting the important stuff done :D

Thanks! But we rarely have much choice in these matters... do we?

Case and point... last night I barely slept. Got up at 7 anyway instead of sleeping in and convinced myself the best thing to do right out of bed was 4 min ( 8 sets) of kettlebell swings.

At work today I did:

~2 min plank

20 pushups

While waiting for my lunches to heat in the microwave.

Gonna hit he gym tonight.

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Case and point... last night I barely slept. Got up at 7 anyway instead of sleeping in and convinced myself the best thing to do right out of bed was 4 min ( 8 sets) of kettlebell swings.

At work today I did:

~2 min plank

20 pushups

Well, that I definitely have to agree with. Rarely do we have a choice sometimes. (nodding)

But TRY not to run yourself ragged. ;)

Good job on the workouts!

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

At work today I did:

~2 min plank

20 pushups

I disagree. We always have a choice. And there are many people who would get overwhelmed and simply NOT do some or all of the "important stuff." So, go you ;)

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines