Sweet Pea becomes Stormborn

Sweet Pea

Turbo looks like loads of fun.  Do you enjoy it?

Challenge is looking great so far :-)

Thanks, and yes I like Turbo Fire a lot. I prefer Tae Bo but Turbo Fire is more constant motion, kinda feels like dancing lol.

Day 9 & 10 Update:

:strawberry: Calorie goal - excellent today and yesterday! I've been cooking more lately, and dinner has been delicious the past two nights. Yesterday was a huevos ranchero egg white omelet, and today was a pork and corn stew. Mmmmm yummy. 

:triumphant: Workout - today I did a Tae Bo workout, 50 minutes, followed by a round of the Jedi workout posted on the NF blog a few days ago (Padowan level.) The Jedi workout was fun, and the Tae Bo was necessary to work out some aggression today.  :redface-new: 

:cool-new: Water goal  - yesterday I did good, today I'm short but I'll still be up for a couple hours so I won't have a problem hitting my goal. This one has been harder than I thought, it's very easy at work for me to fall into my old routine which is drink coffee, coffee, and more coffee (at least I drink it black so I don't have to worry about extra calorie add-ins). But I've been managing to keep it down to 2 or 3 cups a day. Okay, sometimes 4. But that's better than 8.

How did I level up my life today?

• Let myself have a much needed, quick cry session, then put on my gear and threw some punches (at the air). 

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

"ONE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU"

My Epic Quest: http://www.nerdfitness.com/character/25378

Week 2 Update:

:strawberry: Calorie goal - Did not do so well here this weekend, due to ice cream and fast food both today and yesterday. :nightmare: So far, my challenge total is 7/14 days. Yikes.

:triumphant: Workout - not doing so hot here either. Other than a 3 hour Kinect gaming session, haven't done anything this weekend. Challenge total so far, 5/14 days.

:cool-new: Water goal  - Challenge total so far, 8/14 days. 

It's time to step it up a bit more for week 3. I'm not liking the looks of my totals so far, however, I like the way this challenge feels. I was slightly better week 2 over week 1, and as long as I am that much better each week, I'll be where I want to be at the end of the challenge. Not seeing much weight loss yet. Tomorrow is the 2nd weigh-in of the work challenge, so I'm curious to see if I've lost anything this week. I think any progress I made during the week was ruined by this weekend. I just wasn't really up to anything this weekend, and I have an excuse/reason, but I don't feel like getting into it. Just hoping that another day or two and I'll be feeling like myself again. 

One thing I like to do on Sundays is look back at how my week went, what went well and what went wrong, and think of ways I can make the next better. For example, how can I prepare ahead to make things run smoother, easier, etc for the coming week. So today, here are a couple things I did in preparation for a better week:

• I cut up lemon wedges to take to work, because I've found that as I try to drink more water, I get bored and wish I had lemon. Now I've got a week's worth ready to go.
  • I've hard-boiled some eggs, so I've got something ready to go to grab for snacks. 
  • I've got Monday/Tuesday meals planned and prepped, and a grocery list saved in my phone for Wednesday after work. 
  • I've got a big container of green tea made, because I use that to make smoothies with frozen fruit.

Hopefully these things will help make the week go smoothly. I'll be brainstorming ways to keep my weekend healthier though, that's where I seem to have an issue.

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

so I'm curious to see if I've lost anything this week. I think any progress I made during the week was ruined by this weekend

That might be so on the scale, but all you learned & build as good habits during the week, will eventually tilt the grand-scale in your favor.

I've got a big container of green tea made, because I use that to make smoothies with frozen fruit.

Green tea.. frozen fruit .. => smoothie ?       Intriguing ^^

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

Slow progression upward is still progression upward.  Keep up the good work!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Can't change a lifetime of habits completely around in a week or two.  You are making good progress.  Figuring out to do prep for the week to keep your food on track is a great step.  Great job!

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL - Heinlein

Current Challenge

Level 6 Ranger. Level 1 Monk. STR 11.5, DEX 5.5, STA 11, CON 14.5, WIS 15, CHA 12.5

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3 Challenge 4 Challenge 5 Challenge 6

Fitbit MyFitnessPal Battle Log

Green tea.. frozen fruit .. => smoothie ?       Intriguing ^^

Yes! I find smoothies made with milk to be too heavy, so I make them with green tea. For example, today for breakfast I had a smoothie with 1 cup brewed green tea, 1/2 cup ice, 1 banana, 1 Tbsp almond butter, 1 Tbsp brown rice protein powder, and a dash of cinnamon. Sometimes I'll add greens with the fruit, and other add-ins I like are almonds, walnuts, cashews, fresh mint, coconut oil, flaxseed meal, stevia if it needs sweetening, raw honey, etc. You can brew your green tea stronger if you want more of a caffeine boost! I almost always have a green tea smoothie before a workout.

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

Week 3 Day 1 Update:

:strawberry: Calorie goal - Perfect today. Although next challenge, I need to add more protein to my diet.

:triumphant: Workout - Turbo Fire 45 today. Feelin' those abs!

:cool-new: Water goal  - Check. I added lemon today, which helped tremendously.

I can't believe it's week 3 already! We weighed in at work today, for the weight loss challenge I joined there, and according to that scale I gained 4 pounds this week....ahhhhh! I don't know that I've been working out enough to call it muscle...

At any rate, one of the other girls lost 5 pounds, so now I know what I'm up against at least. EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY COUNTS. 

• I created a motivational notebook for tracking my progress. Simple, just took a black composition notebook, some puzzle glue and quotes/pictures cut out of fitness magazines, and viola - my own personalized, motivational notebook. Feels very high-school-ish of me, but I love it.  :nevreness: 

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

So quick update from my phone tonight.

Calorie goal - went over today on calories eating pizza for dinner. It was celebratory for my roommate, so I went ahead with it. I feel much more level-headed than I did at the beginning of the challenge, meaning it was only pizza, and I can enjoy it and move on with the challenge knowing it won't derail me.

Workout- did a Turbo Fire HIIT 20 before work this morning. It was the first time in almost two years I've worked out before work in the morning which I used to do all the time so that felt good.

Water- had a busy day and didn't keep track that well but I think I fell short.

How did I level up my life today ?

•Today I was there for a friend in need. I won't go into details, but the end story is he is crashing with us for awhile, and consequently taking over my "home gym" space. Time to start using that gym membership again!

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

So quick update from my phone tonight.

Calorie goal - went over today on calories eating pizza for dinner. It was celebratory for my roommate, so I went ahead with it. I feel much more level-headed than I did at the beginning of the challenge, meaning it was only pizza, and I can enjoy it and move on with the challenge knowing it won't derail me.

Workout- did a Turbo Fire HIIT 20 before work this morning. It was the first time in almost two years I've worked out before work in the morning which I used to do all the time so that felt good.

Water- had a busy day and didn't keep track that well but I think I fell short.

How did I level up my life today ?

•Today I was there for a friend in need. I won't go into details, but the end story is he is crashing with us for awhile, and consequently taking over my "home gym" space. Time to start using that gym membership again!

Those first two are wonderful and you're a good friend. 

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Also, it sounds like food might have been a thing that was not in its place before. It sounds like you put it back. Awesome. :)

Kishi, I LOVE the way you phrased that, "not in it's place before." Makes me feel kinda badass, to think of it as putting food in it's place...which should be providing me with health and energy, woot!

:strawberry:Calorie goal - Good today. Actually fell just under my target rather than the usual just over, but it's late now and I don't want anything more tonight.

:triumphant: Workout - Today I did a walk/run on the treadmill, 30 minutes.

:cool-new: Water goal  - Just barely! Still struggling to keep track when the work day gets crazy.

• Today's workout was my first step towards my New Years Resolution! Which is to run 2 5ks and 1 10k in 2014. I ran my first 5k last spring, and I think I did fairly well for a first time. Years ago I was training for a half-marathon with my then-boyfriend, and although I never did any smaller races or anything, I was running up to 6 miles at a time, a couple times per week. When we broke up I stopped running...but I loved it, so I know I have it in me. Heck, if I run a 10k this summer, maybe I'll just keep going and run the Detroit half-marathon this fall!

For those of you that are interested, I have an update regarding the loss of my "home gym" from yesterday...my boyfriend worked some kind of magic while I was at work today, and while I was expecting to come home to a bed for our friend set up in place of my tiny workout area, instead he moved enough stuff around to not only make my workout space LARGER and added a treadmill (which has been in the basement and I thought was broken), he ALSO created a SEPARATE secluded bedroom area for our friend. Magic is real people. Believe.  :victorious: (I still intend to start using my gym membership more though. Stay tuned.)

• Like 2

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

Holy crap, that's awesome on so many levels. Nice of you for housing a friend in need, awesome your boyfriend managed to do space-magic (my father does the same thing often - I also inherited that gene).

Also, Re: Green tea smoothies. Have you tried using matcha powder before instead of brewed green tea? It adds a very different flavor profile, more earthy, but that plus fruit is kinda awesome. I made a raspberry-green tea frozen yogurt that way. Turning it into a smoothie would have been easy. And tasty.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Yay for magic! And for staying on top of your goals. That's really good that you have more gym space *and* friend space! :)

Drink more water. ;)

"Drink more water." Ahhhh, working on it!

Holy crap, that's awesome on so many levels. Nice of you for housing a friend in need, awesome your boyfriend managed to do space-magic (my father does the same thing often - I also inherited that gene).

Also, Re: Green tea smoothies. Have you tried using matcha powder before instead of brewed green tea? It adds a very different flavor profile, more earthy, but that plus fruit is kinda awesome. I made a raspberry-green tea frozen yogurt that way. Turning it into a smoothie would have been easy. And tasty.

I have not tried matcha powder, not for lack of interest but because I am not sure where to get it. I don't live in an area where health food stores are prevalent, and have yet to find one. Perhaps I should give myself a side-quest to find one before the challenge is over?!

Updates:

:strawberry:Calorie goal - Thursday I did not meet this because I had a few glasses of wine, and also a cherry coke. Friday and Saturday I did meet my calorie goal, woot! More big meals/no snacks than usual, but today is back on track with smaller meals/snacks.

:triumphant: Workout - Nothing but excuses since Wednesday's run. I was so pumped about getting up early and working out in the morning, but now with our friend in the basement, I don't want to bother him with lights and noise at 5:30 in the morning, when he doesn't get up til 7:30. But that is no excuse for not working out in the evenings. I do have plans to go for another run today. I'll be checking in later tonight with another update.

:cool-new: Water goal  - WHY is this so hard for me? Not doing great here.

Today being the end of week 3, I've been looking back on the week and what went wrong, what went well, and how I can make the next week even better. I've been thinking about habits a lot lately, and trying to look at my own from a 'third party' perspective. Last week, having lemons cut up and ready to put in my water did help me to drink more, at least for the first few days. But towards the end of the week things got crazy at work, and I again had a hard time remembering and keeping track. So I need to really think about my tendencies, and figure out another way to make it easier/more convenient for me to drink more water. And this is just an example, but's the way I need to look at other areas as well. Perhaps I will brainstorm this and when I check back in later tonight I'll have some ideas.

Life Quest:

Had an evaluation at work on Friday (which went very well!), and my boss went over our plans to have me take the PHR exam. It will be a little farther away than I thought, spring of 2015, but hey, more time to prepare. Speaking of, I need to get going on that for this challenge.  :orange:  

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

Sounds like a decent week three! I like stopping and reflecting at this point, too. There weeks is long enough to see any patterns that developed, but still early enough to nip bad habits that may have formed around them.

As for matcha, odds are health food stores wouldn't have it. Try tea shops or Asian Markets. I got mind at an Japanese grocery store, and got twice as much matcha than my roommate previously had gotten at a fancy tea shop for half the cost. I don't use it often, but it mixes things up.

As for matcha, odds are health food stores wouldn't have it. Try tea shops or Asian Markets. I got mind at an Japanese grocery store, and got twice as much matcha than my roommate previously had gotten at a fancy tea shop for half the cost. I don't use it often, but it mixes things up.

I will have to keep this in mind when I go look for it, thank you!

Quick update:

Today went well, calories within range, water consumption decent, and did a half hour run/walk for my 10k training plan. Prepped food for the week.

A couple things I will do to make this week better than last week:

• I have already planned out dinners for the rest of the week. I've got breakfasts and lunches and snacks as usual, but dinner is always kinda, thrown together, don't plan ahead by thawing meat out very often, and sometimes end up getting pizza with the roommate. So, this week, I really spent some time on my grocery list, and picked out recipes. Nothing left to chance or whim.  :nevreness: 
  • Also, I plan on getting those jeans out. The ones that I have been trying fit back into for so long, my Main Quest. I absolutely know they won't even fit on me right now, but I want to see, because I need to remind myself what I'm going for here. I'll get a couple old clothing items out that I would love to wear again this summer and try them on and give myself a gauge. And when I get upset about how far I still have to go, I will kick and punch and run my frustrations away.

Sweet Pea

Level 4 Divergent

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines