FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

Starting Strength - Ab question

Hi guys,

So I'm planning on starting the 'Starting Strength' weight plan soon, but I was wondering on whether I should add ab exercises in there too?

I'm currently try to cut my body fat, so can't actually see abs at the moment, just want to know whether it's worth it, or just to stick to the program?

Cheers,

Layla 

"Doing abs" only helps to strengthen them and does exactly nothing to make them show through a blanket of fat. Billions of dollars have been made on the ideal that it can work, and every cent of it has been an utter waste. Cutting fat comes down to diet, and diet alone.

Now if you are buckling in the hole or rounding your lower back off the floor then absolutely do a little supplemental ab work. If those things aren't happening then get the bar on your back and enjoy the ride.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Note also that the abs get a workout by helping to stabilize the torso (aka "their actual job") while squatting, pressing, etc. Nobody ever squatted heavy without developing a strong core along the way. Later on you can decide if you need/want additional work specifically targeted there, but to start with you can pretty much just do compound lifts and let abdominal strength sort itself out.

You can't push your limits without touching them.

Battle Log

^This

I forgot to mention that part

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

lol yea, I was going to add that too. Take a deep breath, push against your abs and squat heavy. Direct core work isn't necessary until way later, or maybe ever.

Direct core work is probably best suited to the bodyweight enthusiasts. To squat, OHP etc, your abs are fine.

With that said, if you want to do some planks, it's not going to hurt you.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

Agree with what the others have said.  I stopped doing abs about a year ago, started lifting heavy Squats, DLs, OHPs, and Bench, and I know my core is stronger now then it's ever been.  

Exactly my situation, except it has been more than a year, and yet my situp score for my fitness test is consistently at or near maximum.

However, heavy squat walkouts are giving me abDOMinalS, and make my work sets feel lighter.  I'm squatting about 245 now, and doing walkouts at 315, just to hold for a 5-count and rerack.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

However, heavy squat walkouts are giving me abDOMinalS, and make my work sets feel lighter. I'm squatting about 245 now, and doing walkouts at 315, just to hold for a 5-count and rerack.

Sorry to hijack, but I was doing walkouts as well. No where near that weight but it mentally helped having 45 lbs more on my back, feeling that weight then dropping to my work weight

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm pretty anti crunch but turkish get ups are the best ab exercise I've ever done. My core was never stronger than when I did those. Of course in addition to the other stuff mentioned. If you do them with a heavy weight they are hard as shit.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Turkish get ups are pretty much the ultimate full body movement. You heavily weight those things and they'll whoop you from shoulders to knees.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Haha so definitely tried my first 10 TGUs and yea it's a completely new, unexpected strain on the muscles used. I think I might try to incorporate them in more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can't agree more with the squats, deadlifts and Turkish get ups. Ab exercises are generally a waste of time. The only one I do is the plank(or bridge, whichever you call it), and that's it when I'm bored and completed all the other exercises and still have time.

"Vivere Militare est" Seneca

"If man makes it, don't eat it." Jack Lalanne