Alright, so last challenge died with the whole “foot injury in week 3, then when that was better I was sick for the rest of the challenge and, well, I need to be able to breathe†thing. Between that and the chaos of the holidays, until yesterday I had done nothing more than walking around since November. This is no good. I need a jump start.

I think I’ve been officially convinced to go for a Tough Mudder in Austin at the beginning of May, so there will be much training toward this. Winter League has started up with the Houston Ultimate Community, so I’ll have that keeping me busy on Saturdays. And as always there is the whole “my house is a mess†thing and the “I want to be more awesome†thing.

So here goes:

GOALS

Long-Term Goal: Operation Tackle a Tough Mudder.

May the Fourth Tough Mudder - training needs to happen so I can be strong enough and have sufficient endurance to power through this. I’ve got 5 months to make it happen. And I have to make it happen so I can ring in 30 with a bang!

Fitness Goal 1: Operation Tough Mudder Training.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings I will get up early and do a Tough Mudder Bootcamp workout before work. I will try the mid-level workout to kick off the challenge, but using that as an assessment of whether that level is appropriate for now, I need something lighter, or (highly unlikely) I am ready for the top level.

Fitness Goal 2: Handstand Challenge.

Handstand challenge has been re-initiated. The whole inability to breathe right side up thanks to a cold and a cough made the whole “let’s try breathing upside down†thing be not on my to do list. Time to start over because I still want to accomplish this.

Fitness Goal 3: Operation Endurance and Speed Demon.

It will beneficial to both my Tough Mudder training and my ultimate playing if I work on both endurance (since Tough Mudder is long) and speed. So I will do speed work Tuesday and Thursday mornings before work and I will go for a run (increasing in distance) on Sundays.

Life Goal: Clean and Purge.

I recently realized that I part of my getting down on myself (stupid self-esteem issues) is a matter of having a lot of not just stuff that I don’t need of use or like, but also a lot of clothes that are in the same bracket. I have lots of things from years ago and as much as they have served me well, they are older, they are worn and they don’t fit the same anymore. I need to go through these things even if getting rid of/donating them will leave me with areas of my wardrobe that are lacking. I can always go out and buy new pieces that I like and that fit me well. It is not a matter of finances that has had me holding on and it’s time to just let it go and freshen things up. Jump start the self-esteem along with the confidence, because when I’m wearing the right things, I know I look good ;)

SCHEDULE

Note: Not everything listed here is challenge related. This is everything I’ve got going on weekly this challenge.

MONDAY: am: Bootcamp

TUESDAY: am: Speed Work

WEDNESDAY: am: Bootcamp pm: pickup ultimate attendance/work permitting

THURSDAY: am: Speed Work

FRIDAY: am: Bootcamp pm: occasional pickup ultimate

SATURDAY: am: Winter League ultimate

SUNDAY: am: Run pm: pickup ultimate attendance permitting

TL;DR

Fitness Goal 1: Tough Mudder Bootcamp 3x/week

Fitness Goal 2: Work on handstands daily

Fitness Goal 3: Run (speed/distance) 3x/week

Life Goal 1: Purge unnecessary crap

TOUGH MUDDER, WOOT!

I did the October one in (near) Dallas last year and it was epic, even though I was SEVERELY undertrained :D I still had an amazing time and have been batting around the idea of doing the Austin one this year...

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer! 

Current: Starting Over

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford

We are practically doing the same thing so I am there with you every step of the way! May the Fourth!

Go team!

hey Sister, hey. :)

hey Lady, hey :)

TOUGH MUDDER, WOOT!

I did the October one in (near) Dallas last year and it was epic, even though I was SEVERELY undertrained :D I still had an amazing time and have been batting around the idea of doing the Austin one this year...

Woot indeed! If you decide to do the Austin one, I haven't yet signed up, but there is a group of us (I think) doing it on May 4th.

May4th.gif

The decision on which day was pretty easy :) You would be more than welcome to Tough Mudder it up with us!

Oooh, shiny fancy Tough Mudder training. Looks like you are going to be very busy in the coming weeks! Subbing, of course. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Life Goal: Clean and Purge.

I recently realized that I part of my getting down on myself (stupid self-esteem issues) is a matter of having a lot of not just stuff that I don’t need of use or like, but also a lot of clothes that are in the same bracket. I have lots of things from years ago and as much as they have served me well, they are older, they are worn and they don’t fit the same anymore. I need to go through these things even if getting rid of/donating them will leave me with areas of my wardrobe that are lacking. I can always go out and buy new pieces that I like and that fit me well. It is not a matter of finances that has had me holding on and it’s time to just let it go and freshen things up. Jump start the self-esteem along with the confidence, because when I’m wearing the right things, I know I look good ;)

i'm working on this too. 

i've got a bag of clothes to donate, and i'm selling some stuff on ebay. but it seems that as i donate/sell i just accumulate more. and then the workout clothes. i mean. i need three drawers alone.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Oooh, shiny fancy Tough Mudder training. Looks like you are going to be very busy in the coming weeks! Subbing, of course. :)

Yay!

i'm working on this too. 

i've got a bag of clothes to donate, and i'm selling some stuff on ebay. but it seems that as i donate/sell i just accumulate more. and then the workout clothes. i mean. i need three drawers alone.

I'm sure to an extend the same will happen for me. But the goal is to limit the accumulation of new attire to things that fit and things that I actually wear and feel good wearing. That alone cuts out about half of the clothes in my closet/drawers.

I'm sure to an extend the same will happen for me. But the goal is to limit the accumulation of new attire to things that fit and things that I actually wear and feel good wearing. That alone cuts out about half of the clothes in my closet/drawers.

fair point. however, i have a hard time letting things go. (obvs.)

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

fair point. however, i have a hard time letting things go. (obvs.)

I completely understand. You'd see just how much if I took you on a tour of my closet.

This is why I need to draw a line before I even start going through things so that it is not something I'm allowed to talk myself out of.

I completely understand. You'd see just how much if I took you on a tour of my closet.

This is why I need to draw a line before I even start going through things so that it is not something I'm allowed to talk myself out of.

maybe brother and livingroovy will help me closet purge when they are at my place this weekend.

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Ooh, yeah. Having a council while you purge is fantastic. I enjoy the gladitorial thumbs-downing. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

We are practically doing the same thing so I am there with you every step of the way! May the Fourth!

HUZZAH!!!

I love how you schedule you workouts in an every-other-day format. That way you always do stuff without exhausting a focus. :) Also the fun frizzzbeee stuff in there. You are clearly cooler than I.

MT4BWY

(yes, I totes acronymed dat shet)

I love how you schedule you workouts in an every-other-day format. That way you always do stuff without exhausting a focus. :) Also the fun frizzzbeee stuff in there. You are clearly cooler than I.

MT4BWY

(yes, I totes acronymed dat shet)

Why thank you :) If I just did the same thing every day I would get so bored so quick...

I tried really hard to come up with a Council of Elrond meme to go with this, but failed. :(

Good luck! And that is, without a doubt, the best day ever to do a Tough Mudder.

Bummer you couldn't find an awesome meme. But I totally agree on the TM date. Saturday would have been preferred for the timing of it all, but May 3rd just doesn't have the right ring to it. Especially when May the Fourth is an option. It's gonna be awesome.

I think I had a similar experience last challenge (although not as bad by the sounds of it) a shoulder injury and then stomach bug that laid me out for most of the second half.

So we'll get back to it together :D And you have picked the best date of the year to do a tough mudder!

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

So yesterday I got up on time. It was freaking cold. And I still dragged my butt out of bed to give the TM bootcamp a go. I had looked beforehand at what each of the tasks entailed, but I still took it slow because a lot of them were motions or movements that I am not used to or unfamiliar with. I wanted to spend the first day making sure that I did things correctly rather than messily. There were still some things that I needed to amend to meet where I am currently, especially since I definitely lost some ground while on hiatus. It kicked my butt overall, but I decided that with the pacing and the overall excitedness of working out again, I could not really judge whether I should stick with this level, or go lower. I am giving myself the week to figure it out. I'll get more familiar with the movements and I'll get back on my feet so to speak, so the pacing will also be up. By Friday I should have a better idea of whether this is just challenging or if I am in over my head for the moment.

Last night's handstands weren't as long as I would have liked, but things like obtaining groceries and getting sleep were priorities. And the actual being upside down was ugly. I've definitely slid back on that one. Ugh.

This morning I had ALL the soreness. I was sore Saturday from the first day of Winter League (after not doing anything for over a month). I was still sore on Sunday. I was also still sore before my workout yesterday. And *shocker* that soreness only got more all over my body after yesterday. Wonderful. I decided that between the cold and the soreness and the "I'm just getting back into this," it would be best if I were to take the morning off and not go for my run. Clearly my body is asking for recovery time. I'm not always good at listening, but today I did. And I'm glad that I did because I've since developed a headache and am pretty sure that I've not been drinking enough water. And possibly I need to consume more food as well. Adding in more exercise this morning would have only complicated the trying to figure out what my body is looking for and how to make it happen thing.

So for today, I will:

Drink lots of water. I've just filled my glass again which puts me at approximately 32 ounces consumed this morning. Let's keep this up, my body needs and wants more water, even if it means I feel like I am constantly in the restroom.

Eat. In general I am more apt to undereat than overeat. So if I am hungry, I need to put food in my mouth. Not junk, mind you. I know I'm not always going to make the healthiest choice, but I generally make pretty good ones most of the time. So I just need to eat more food. Specifically, if my body is craving something that isn't wicked bad for me, I intend to consume it. Oftentimes when I do this, I find that there must have been something in whatever it was I was craving that my body needed because I tend to feel much better. But I don't always crave something when I feel like crap, so who knows if this will even come into play. But the plan is to listen to my body.

Great job getting up and working out despite the cold and then letting your body rest.

Do you find yourself not drinking enough when it is cold? I do. I don't feel like I'm thirsty, so I forget to drink.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Go for a walk, that should help with the soreness! Sounds like you did good anyway, even if it wasn't quite what ya wanted.

Thankfully while I'm still sore (7 straight days...) and the sore is pretty much everywhere, it has subsided in intensity. Now it's more of if I move this way or that I feel the soreness a bit and think "mmm soreness. Clearly I've been working out again. Nice." So it works.

Great job getting up and working out despite the cold and then letting your body rest.

Do you find yourself not drinking enough when it is cold? I do. I don't feel like I'm thirsty, so I forget to drink.

Yeah soreness!

Youre doing it right.

I'm sure your body will adjust soon. But, yes, drank dat waterrrr.

zoolander-mermaid.gif

I absolutely find myself not drinking enough when it is cold. I also find this to be a problem when it's wicked busy at work (read: this week for sure) because I'll fill my water glass, but then I'll be busy busy busy and not actually drink from it for a while without even realizing. This makes consumption of appropriate quantities of water... difficult. I'm working on it.

Sorry for the major lack of updates, Team SG. While I realize that other people work more than I do, this week has been exhaustingly long. I'm coming back from not exercising for over a month and jumping into a challenge, I'm coming back from vacation where I wasn't working at all for a week and a half, and this week contains ALL the deadlines (not true, it contains many, but there some left over for next week). Between workouts, finally getting to see BFGazer, and fitting in sleep, the long workdays are just not doing it for me. I've spent over 40 hours at the office so far this week and I'll be there again in about an hour. Can this week be over? Ugh.

Because of all of that and not yet having found the ideal time to fit handstands into my day so that I have no valid excuses, I've only done about half of the intended handstand practice this week. Not good, this will have to improve. It's not like it takes much time, but when I've just completed an exhausting workout or when I just got home from an exhausting workday just don't seem like the ideal times to trust my arms and shoulders to hold me upside down. I'll have to figure out better timing for this.

Wednesday's TM Bootcamp went well. Well enough that despite how messy it felt today (I was way too tired and felt like I was dying before the completion of circuit 1 of 4) I'm deciding that this is the appropriate level for me at this time. Lack of sleep has showed me that if no other nights of the week, I absolutely need to get a good night's sleep Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings so that I have the energy available to power through these bootcamps. Though good night's sleeps the other nights would be a good thing as well.

I also got in a short run yesterday. It was supposed to be longer, but I didn't think that at almost 60 degrees I really needed to wear my headband to cover my ears. Apparently it was still cold enough for that (despite being warm enough for shorts and short sleeves) because my ears got too cold and were all over giving me intense pains. I HATE that. Stupid ears. Before they decided that they hate me with a passion, I totaled about a mile of 1 minute "fast" and 1 minute at a slow jog. The fast gets quotes because I should have been going faster, but I was still feeling out how this whole thing will go. I'll make the fast faster on Tuesday so that it can be legitimately fast instead of fast in quotes. And I'll wear the headband so I can go longer.

Ahhh! My ears do that too and it's frankly one of the most annoying things. I don't know, I think it sounds like you are doing a great job of getting your workouts in despite work craziness and exhaustion. Don't be so hard on yourself. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

I agree with Raptron, it was a good first week after Christmas break. My ears do that too. I think it is warm enough to skip ear protection and then they freeze, and my whole head hurts.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines