PaladinAlex: One Momentous Word

PaladinAlex

As some may know, I disappeared for a while due to family issues, and these stressful times coupled with a general lack of discipline led to a prolonged absense. There was a couple deaths in my family, and my mother was almost one of them, but I'm glad to say that she's doing well again. Now that I'm back I've put a fair bit of consideration into what to base this challenge on. When asking myself if there was one thing that I could change about myself that would improve my life the most, the answer I came up with was Discipline. I'm sure many people can relate to a constant struggle with making the easy choice that satisfies your immediate desires, and the hard choice to take the high road that sets you on track to reaching your ultimate goals. I find myself taking the easy way out far too often, just doing enough to "get by", and it's time to start making strides towards changing this.

3751.jpg

After doing some research into different methods to improving ones self-discipline I found that some of the best methods are ones that I already planned to employ such as regular exercise and accountability. However I also came across some others that I had not thought of that I will be attempting to implement, such as mindfulness meditation and removing my escape routes when I commit to something.

My main goals will be graded on a weekly pass/fail basis, losing one grade for each week that the goal is not achieved.

Goal 1: Exercise at least 4x/week. (3 STR)

This can be as simple as going for a run or taking my dog for a walk. I will probably be doing heavier work outs but the main idea is to make sure I'm doing SOMETHING.

A - all 6 weeks (3 STR)

B - 5 weeks (2.5 STR)

C+ - 4 weeks (2 STR)

C - 3 weeks (1.5 STR)

C- - 2 weeks (1 STR)

F - 1 week (0 STR)

Goal 2: Practice mindfulness meditation for at least 5min every day. (4 CON)

As this is still a new concept for me this goal might be fairly challenging for me, which is why I set it for only 5 minutes. You can do anything for just 5 minutes right?

A - all 6 weeks (4 CON)

B - 5 weeks (3 CON)

C+ - 4 weeks (2 CON)

C - 3 weeks (1.5 CON)

C- - 2 weeks (1 CON)

F - 1 week (0 CON)

Goal 3: Work on my contract work for at least 1 hour, 5 days/week. (1 STA, 1 CHA)

Being self employed has it's disadvantages, one of the biggest is only having yourself to answer to when you do not complete your work in a timely manner, which also effects how much you make. I find starting is the hard part, and I fully expect to spend far more than only a single hour once I get going, I'm setting this goal just to give me that little shove to get me started.

A - all 6 weeks (1 STA, 1 CHA)

B - 5 weeks (1 STA, .5 CHA)

C+ - 4 weeks (1 STA)

C - 3 weeks (0.75 STA)

C- - 2 weeks(0.5 STA)

F - 1 week (0 STA, 0 CHA)

Goal 4: Work on my own project for at least 1 hour, 5 days/week. (1 STA, 1 CHA)

For the same reasons as my 3rd goal, I just need a little push to get started. The sooner I complete my first major project, the sooner things start getting better, and it won't be such a struggle to justify my choices to the rest of my family.

A - all 6 weeks (1 STA, 1 CHA)

B - 5 weeks (1 STA, .5 CHA)

C+ - 4 weeks (1 STA)

C - 3 weeks (0.75 STA)

C- - 2 weeks(0.5 STA)

F - 1 week (0 STA, 0 CHA)

I am setting a couple of mini goals as an attempt to eliminate my escape routes when it comes to making progress on my own companies projects. (I say company but it's just me and a friend right now). In achieving these goals I will effectively give myself no choice but to push onward and complete each of the stages of my project in a timely and effective manner.

Mini Goal 1: Set a date to post my first major project concept to Steam GreenLight within the first week of the chellenge. (1 WIS)

Pass - Set the date on or before the 13th (1 WIS)

Fail - Set the date after the 13th (0 WIS)

Mini Goal 2: Set a date to post my first major project on kickstarter and to upgrade my GreenLight concept to an active project by the last week of the chellenge. (3 WIS)

A - Set the date on or before Feb. 9th (3 WIS)

B - Set the date on the 10th (2.5 WIS)

C+ - Set the date on the 11th (2 WIS)

C - Set the date on the 12th (1.5 WIS)

C- - Set the date on the 13th (1 WIS)

F- Set the date on or after the 14th (0 WIS)

LV 3 - Lawful Good - Spartan - Ranger Current Challenge: One Momentous Word

Previous Challenge: #1 #2 #3

Battle Log - Epic Quest: To become a Spartan

Current Attributes:

STR - 6.75   DEX - 8   STA - 7

CON - 6   WIS - 9   CHA - 7

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Its not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

So glad you are back Paladin!     And even more glad to hear your mom has turned for the better.    I absolutely love that quote you put up, and feel it can be a good reminder for myself this go around too.   I'm trying to focus on making this long term, routine, life stuff.    And to do that, I have to make real habits out of this.  Habits that are so engrained they are just part of who I am.  Scary thought!  Can it even be done? :D

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Thanks Star. :) And yea, it's definately something I have to tell myself when it comes down to those choices, no easy ways out! I think if I can get that one rule engrained like you're saying as well, everything else will just fall into place with ease. So I'd like to think it can be done :P

So, today went quite well, managed to shake off the urge to just eat junk for breakfast. Made a frittata for 4 people, ended up eating the last 2 servings of it after my workout too haha. Quite happy with myself, cause it was fricken yummy. I almost didn't do it because I didn't have exactly what I wanted to use to make it, but I told myself I wasn't allowed to make any excuses and just improvised and got it done, and it came out great. Spent a couple hours working on the storyline for my project (goal 4), so that was good. And I got my first workout of the challenge in... fairly light as I'm just getting back into it.

It looked like this:

Pull ups - sets of 5/4/3/2/1

Inverted rows - 5sets x 10reps

Deadlifts - 5sets x 5reps @100lbs

Push ups - 1set x 20reps

Static lunges - 5sets x 20sec/leg, 10sec rest between legs/sets

High planks - 5sets x 30sec, 30sec rest

Dead clean & press - 3sets x 10reps @50lbs

I'm finding that working on both my contract work, and my person project on workout days might be a bit much to do consistently. So I'll probably end up using one of my days off for one of the two for each of my workout days, and on non-workout days working on both of them. I think this will be the best format for me to progress on all of my goals. And I think I'm going to try meditating before bed to help me sleep hopefully.

Current Attributes:

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

I like that already you're realizing your limits and holding yourself to them, but switching them up. I often thought that discipline meant holding onto certain principle for dear life and never letting go, but there has to be some wiggle room or else I think we'd all go nuts. ;)

Good luck!

Pixie Ranger Drunk on Tea~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

ALEX!!!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

JENN! o.o sup? lol

So I didn't post for yesterday... I spent several hours working on both my contract work and my personal project. Working on writing the summary/description for the game, so that's exciting.

And today was pretty similar, though I spent a lot of my time discussing the backstory details for the game with my um... coworker/partner/friend/person... yea, her.

I also did my meditation before bed the other day, and I'm about to do the same tonight.

Current Attributes:

Yo!

Not much.... looks like you been busy:ph34r:

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Alex!  Alex!  Alex!

(Everytime I say your name, it reminds me of the groundhog that says Alan in this clip @32seconds)

You sound busy, but also like you are keeping up with your goals.  Good start out of the gate!

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Alright, so it's been kind of crazy, I've had a visitor from Australia, and a couple people's birthdays and such. I'm just popping on quickly to post the date I have set to post my green light concept. That is the 27th of January, as I think it's a reasonable time frame for what I want finished for then, and what is already completed. I'll post a more detailed account of the passed week tomorrow, right now i'm gonna to meditate and get some sleep.

Current Attributes:

woot!!

Spoiler

Yay for PW!

Really, I need to keep telling you how glad I am that you're back!  Even if things are crazy and you are still a bit scarce.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Alright, so, my second week was kind of a fail. I didn't really exercise at all, and I just barely managed to meet my work goals with a couple hours here and there. The only thing I've been consistent about it doing my meditation every night. My friends got me playing Dota 2 a while back, and I've recognized that this game is stealing my soul, and I'm playing it WAY too much. So on sunday I made the decision to uninstall it. My friends aren't too happy about it as I'm one of the strongest players in our little group and they keep whining at me to reinstall, or at least some of them do, but for now I'm going to do without it.

So without dota sucking up all my free time, Monday I spent around 9 hours give or take working on my concepts and designs for my business' game. I also discovered one of my newer friends is an artist and wanted to help with creating side quests and doing concept art and such for me with the agreement that I'd be able to contract him for actual paid work once we get our kickstarter funding. Plus he has a friend who does sound engineering and video editing, and he wants to help with our promo video. So that's really exciting, and I'm getting contracts done up for them so we can start sharing more of the ideas.

And then yesterday I spent another 6 or so hours working on the concepts again, but also discussing the contributions of my new friend, and researching possible game engines including royalty costs and so forth. Plus another 4 or 5 hours working on my contract work, and I'm making good progress on that. I had an epiphany regarding something that's been giving me alot of trouble (stupid C#... why can't Unity just use C++...) so I'm stripping down and rebuilding some of the core architecture or the game, but it's going to improve the performance by a great deal.

So, I think uninstalling Dota was probably one of the best decisions I've made in quite some time.

Current Attributes:

Wowzers!    Those kind of bold moves are so impressive Alex!     Way to go realizing it was a step needed and then being able to take it.    Looks like your productivity switch flipped HARD CORE once you did that.

Don't stress too much about the other stuff.   I bet now that you removed one of the temptations (if you don't follow GoodDoug, check his current challenge out, he had a good point on resisting versus avoiding temptation) the other things will have more power to get done.

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Yea, it's definately a lot easier when I'm not constantly trying to refrain from going on to play Dota.

And to continue my productivity... Wed I spent a few hours working on my contract game, finished stripping down and rebuilding the core system that I mentioned a couple days ago, and would ya know, it runs about 100x faster(not exadurating) and it's not giving me any more hastle. So I'm quite pleased with that. I also spent several hours discussing different areas of my game with the couple people I'm working with, and working more on the designs. Not hugely productive, since it's hard to force creativity, but we did get a few things straightened out.

Thursday's workout went like this:

1-arm rows - 3 x 10/arm @25lbs

Deadlift - 3 x 5 @ 100lbs

Push-ups - sets of 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1

High Plank - 3 x 30sec

Goblet Squat - 1 x 10 @25lbs

Unicycle - 3 x 30sec/side (absolutely killed)

Static hold floor press - once, as long as possible (1min 49sec)

I also spend a few hours writing a new A* algorithm from scratch in C# (not one of my favorite languages...) for my contract game and few assorted tweaks here and there. Then spent several hours on my game. Devised some new additions to the combat system that I am actually quite excited to share, however that must wait for me to implement them in a gameplay demo to share on my Steam Greenlight. Discussed some aspects of the characters the others are working on (they're both artists) as well as creating a couple more characters, from how they look and act, to their own unique combat styles. And if that wasn't enough I've also set up and started to play with a couple of the prospective engines I'm considering building the game with. Currently playing with UnrealEngine and CryENGINE.

Current Attributes:

So for friday I was still pretty sore so my workout was just yoga and stretching, nothing too intense.

I also spent at least 6 hours working on my contract project, and finally got my new A* algorithm implemented, debugged, and running, which was probably the largest single piece of this project (insert fist pump here). I've also implemented time slicing to limit the number of paths that can be refreshed per frame, to help keep the frame rate up, as the pathing system will put less and less strain on the CPU as other components start to need more processing power. So I'm pretty stoked about that. The end is actually starting to come into sight somewhat.

Current Attributes:

How are things going Alex?   Now that you've stepped back from that thing that was sucking you in all crazy totally. :D

I have to admit, some of your updates are foreign language to me, but it sounds like you're making some good progress!

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Ahhh yea, sorry, crazyness, in a word.

My whole development team was sick for over a week (myself included), we're only just now getting better =/ So I missed a week of training unfortunately, getting back into it now though.

It was also my birthday yesterday, so I'm gonna be going out in a little bit here... I've actually negotiated for a pair of gymnast rings for me to start doing some suspension training. Totally psyched for that. Probably going to start doing that down at my old middle school or at the park or something, cause I've actually been feeling a little bored with my current work outs, as intense as they might be sometimes. I might end up getting a weighted vest as well, but we'll see, I think the rings will be more than enough to keep me happy with my workouts for quite some time lol. Plus... if I travel they'll be easy to tuck into my bag and use wherever.

On the work front, not great, not terrible. The contract game is getting really close to being finished, and I've optimized the gameplay back up to 60FPS on the older iPads, which is phenominal. But on my own personal project, it's been a bit hard to get much GOOD work out of my artist friend, because she's suffering from a lack of confidence, which is really unfounded... so that's holding us up a lot. But I'm applying for a full time position doing software testing at a code level, so it pays pretty good, and I'm hoping I can start using some of what I make from that the fund the project more.

So yea, lots been going on, sorry about taking forever to post sometimes.

Current Attributes:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines