AverageJoe

For those of you just tuning in I’m AverageJoe.  This is my 5th NF challenge (first as a Ranger!) and I am on a grand adventure to go from Fatman to Batman!

I nearly defeated the Fatman last challenge but he has been refueled and his bad habits strengthened by the holidays (Damn Cookies!!!).  So like Bruce Wayne in Dark Knight Rises I have been dispatched to the bottom of a pit of dispair created by holiday cookies, wine and snowstorms!  But like Bruce I can see the light and I have hope!  
Christian-Bale-in-The-Dark-Knight-Rises.
In the true spirit of a Pit-based challenge I will be minimizing the necessary exercise equipment and forgoing runs (sorry to disappoint I’m not that hardcore yet, it’s too freakin’ cold outside for a run).  My workouts will consist of bodyweight exercises (primarily pushups, pull ups, and squats) and cardio in the form of jump rope and boxing.  

batman-superpowers2.jpg

Also if I’m going to make the leap to freedom and become Bat I need to push myself as hard as possible.  So I’ve designed my challenge to (hopefully) do just that.  I will be starting with a moderate workout schedule and minimal diet goals.  Each week I will be increasing the workout frequency (and hopefully intensity) as well as increasing dietary restrictions.

How will I measure success?  Glad you asked.  I plan on using the FBI fitness test to evaluate my fitness before (will post beginning stats soon) and after the challenge.  I will also be tracking weight, body measurements and BF% on a regular basis throughout the challenge.

In summary:

Goal #1(Str +3, Dex +2): Get Strong!! Follow my incremental workout schedule culminating with 6 days of double (AM/PM) WOs for week 6.  [# of successful weeks: 6 = A, 5 = B, 4 = C, etc.]

Goal #2 (Con +2, Cha +3): Get Lean and Mean!! Follow my incremental diet plan  [# of successful weeks: 6 = A, 5 = B, 4 = C, etc.]

Goal #3(Str +2, Dex +2, Wis +1): Escape the Pit!  Based on results of fitness test.  [score improvement +15 = A, +10 = B,+5 = C, <+5 = D,+0 = F]

I'm excited and nervous about kicking off 2014 with such lofty goals (at least for me) and starting a new guild.  Here's to rising from the ashes a better man!
  • Like 2

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

Why hello there...

tumblr_inline_myumlnD8WU1qbu5cd.gif

Big goals, but you can achieve all of them. Remember that slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck :)

Go big or go home right. :pride:

Rangers eh! Well that is awesome, I shall come visit!

Your goals sound epic! Good luck with everything xxxx

Yeah rangers seemed like a good fit.  Epic is what I was going for.  I felt like I needed to kick off 2014 with something that pushed me to my limits.

Good luck Joe!  What, no running outside in that weather ;) haha

I guess I have my limits  :playful:  haha! 

Batman is my favorite superhero.

Good choice!

Who doesn't like Batman, seriously he kicks ass!!

Day 1 was successfully completed!  Woke up at 4AM for a Jump rope workout!(5 x 2 min rounds, with 1 min rest between)  I was concerned it wasn't enough but my sore calves and shoulders have convinced me otherwise.  Three paleo meals and 1/2 gal of water consumed as well!!  My next workout is tonight (strength training: focus on pushups and ab exercises).  I'm also going to try and post my starting stats tonight.  Promise! :nevreness:

As promised my starting stats.

Weight:216 lbs

BF%: 24

FBI Fitness test score: 4

Fitness test results were mixed. My 300m and 1.5 mile runs didn't even get me a single point.:( I was also 1 push up away from getting on the board for that too. Surprisingly my pullups (5 reps) and my situps (41 in 1 minute) earned me 2 points each! :D

Just finished my pushup/ab workout (100+ total reps across 4 pushup variations. And 80+ total reps across 3 different ab exercises). Now I better get some sleep I've got a 4 am date with a jump rope:wacko:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the Rangers! The more the merrier!

I like you goals and using the fitness test as a guide to progress is a great way to go! Keep following and working your plan and you'll be out of the pit in no time.

Also, pushup variations FTW!! I love me all kinds of pushups. Keeps 'em from getting boring.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

This is intense! I have complete confidence you'll make it out of your cookie-induced captivity before long. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Good luck!!

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: Current 4 3 2 1

Zombies, Run!

Nerd Fitness Mitten Meetups

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Just wanted to say hi!  Love your avatar & all old batman stuff  :)

Looks like you're doing great with your challenge so far.  Keep it up!

Thanks for stopping by. I'm a big fan of the Dark Knight batman but Adam West will always be one of my Favs!  I feel like I'm slowly building momentum this challenge, hopefully I can keep it up.

Welcome to the Rangers! The more the merrier!

I like you goals and using the fitness test as a guide to progress is a great way to go! Keep following and working your plan and you'll be out of the pit in no time.

Also, pushup variations FTW!! I love me all kinds of pushups. Keeps 'em from getting boring.

Thanks, I've been wanting to make the jump over here for awhile.  Finally took the plunge!  Hope I can keep up you guys (and gals).

The FBI Fitness test works pretty well as a gauge.  I figure Batman would totally crush the top scores (total score of 50pts) so I've got a LONG way to go :nightmare:

This is intense! I have complete confidence you'll make it out of your cookie-induced captivity before long. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Good luck!!

Intense is what I was going for so thanks :redface-new:   I was 208 lbs at the end of my last challenge so the holidays really knocked be back.  Hopefully by the end of this one I'll be back on track (preferably even further along!)

Hey there, (Above!)average. Using the FBI test as a measure of fitness is sooooo cool. Sub'd!

Thanks, I thought that keeping with the Batman/crime fighter theme I should steal a fitness test from law enforcement.  The FBI test was the first one I could find that wasn't Pass/Fail.  I really like that it's scaled so I can see my total score (hopefully) improve.

• Like 1

Week 1 Update!!

Success across the board!

3 Morning 15 min Workouts?: Check, Three 30 min strength workouts?: Check!, 75% paleo?: Check!, No Caffeine?: Check!, 1/2 Gal water/day?: Check!  Next week should be a step harder.

Week 2 plan:

3 Morning workouts, 2 Cardio boxing workouts, 4 Strength workouts, No caffeine, No Alcohol, 75% paleo, and 1/2 gal water/day

Here's to kicking Week 2 in the FACE!!!

• Like 1

Great job Joe :) Keep up the great work!!!

Thanks It feels good to be back into challenge mode!

Got up at 4am for my first 15 min jump rope workout of Week 2!  It felt pretty good, I'm even contemplating adding another 2 min round to it.  Also got my weigh in stats... 

Starting Weight: 216lbs... Current Weight: 214lbs (-2!!)

Starting BF%: ~24%... Current BF%: ~24% (The caliper measurements fluctuate a little even if I measure multiple times in a row so I'm not too concerned about this...Yet!)

Thanks It feels good to be back into challenge mode!

Got up at 4am for my first 15 min jump rope workout of Week 2!  It felt pretty good, I'm even contemplating adding another 2 min round to it.  Also got my weigh in stats... 

Starting Weight: 216lbs... Current Weight: 214lbs (-2!!)

Starting BF%: ~24%... Current BF%: ~24% (The caliper measurements fluctuate a little even if I measure multiple times in a row so I'm not too concerned about this...Yet!)

WOOT!! Way to start the challenge strong!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Awesome job!  Looks like you're starting Week 2 off right as well.  Keep it up!

Trying to, Thanks for the encouragement.  I want BIG changes/success for this challenge but I'm trying to be practical and patient.

WOOT!! Way to start the challenge strong!

Thanks, I'm hoping I can build enough momentum now to help me through the 'tough' weeks later on.

Excellent work Joe.  That FBI test is pretty cool.  I might have to take a look at that for future challenges as well ;)

Yeah, it's the only one I've found so far that's scaled (most are Pass/Fail) so I'll hopefully be able to see progress.  

Made some paleo pulled pork in the crocpot last night *yumm* so now my fridge is stocked for the week with roasted chicken, pork chops and BBQ pork!!

i haz paleo pulled pork in meh bag for a snack later.  yum yum yum

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

MID WEEK UPDATE!!

So far so good!  Week two is definitely shaping up to be harder than week 1 (but that was the plan right?)  Sticking with paleo so far.  I'm eating a TON of fruit which I'm worried may be hindering the weight/fat loss.  Next week's grocery trip may have to focus on more veggies instead.  Workouts are kicking my a$$!! I got a taste of what's in store for me later on this challenge.  

Last night was a double workout, 30 minutes of my push up/ab workout followed by 30 minutes of boxing (10 x 3 min rounds, 30 sec rest).  It was a mix of speed bag, heavy bag and shadow boxing.  I could barely lift my arms afterwards It was AWESOME!!  Followed that up this morning by a 4 am jump rope workout (8 x 2 min rounds, 30 sec rest).  

All in All I'm happy thus far, scared that the following weeks may kill me but still happy

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines