Torpedotor - New Year, Same Old Me

torpedotor

I'm not too big on New Year's resolutions. Maybe it's the arbitrary nature of the date, maybe it's the fact that most people make one then dump it within a month. It's also awful when you go to the gym in January. *shudders*

For the past few years, as midnight approached on New Year's Eve, I've thought about making a resolution. But everytime I've decided against it.

I think my reason is that one resolution for an entire year is just not going to cut it. If I really want to change myself for the better, I'm going to need to attack all fronts. And hey, Nerd Fitness challenges just happen to allow me to do just that.

I'm losing track of my challenges now. What is this? Five? I don't know anymore. But I'm sticking with you guys. You've stuck with me, too. And together, we'll make 2014 a great year.

For the first challenge of 2014, I'm going to make my goals very general (with specifics for measuring, of course) because they will really be some of my goals for the entire year.

1) Get more sleep!   Last year was my first six months out of college, but you wouldn't have known it by my sleep schedule. I went to bed regularly after  1:00 a.m., and I had to wake up every weekday morning by 6:30 a.m. So for the next six weeks, I am going to aim to get to bed by 11:00 p.m. and wake up after 6:00 a.m. (i.e. seven hours or more of sleep per night).

A- Average 7+ hours of sleep with no super short or super long nights (i.e. 9+ hours or 5- hours)

B- Average 6.5 hours of sleep

C- Average 6 hours of sleep

D- Average 5.5 hours of sleep

F- Average 5 hours of sleep

2) Work out regularly.   I definitely starting slipping here over the holidays (from Thanksgiving through New Year's). So it's time to get back on track. I think when I added the fifteen minutes of yoga to my workouts, it almost disincentivized me to workout, because I knew I had to do that as well. I like the benefits of it, though, so I'm going to continue at least doing some of the stretches before or after workouts. Workouts will include pull-ups, push-ups, core exercises, and leg exercises.

A- Work out 5 days a week

B- Work out 4 days a week

C- Work out 3 days a week

D- Work out 2 days a week

F- Work out 1 day a week

3) Eat right.   Well, it was the holidays... And I was home, eating whatever mama wanted to cook. Even before I was home, I realized I wasn't getting enough fruits and veggies. I was getting plenty of protein (of course) but I definitely need to eat more fruit and veggies.

A- Eat two servings of fruit a day, and three servings of vegetables

B- Eat two servings of fruit a day, and two servings of vegetables

C- Eat one serving of fruit a day, and two servings of vegetables

D- Eat one serving of fruit a day, and one serving of vegetables

F- Miss days of eating fruits and/or vegetables

4) Get a job.   I am currently being paid. Yay! But that ends in mid-/late-February. Boo! This means I need to get a job after that. Coincidentally, my current position ends one week after this challenge does. By that time, I want to have a job lined up for March and afterwards. Fortunately, I keep my expenses down, so even though I'm earning around $5 an hour at my current job (yay for paid internships) I can still pay my bills. This does mean that I don't get to save anything, though

A- Apply to at least four positions and reach out to four people on my network each week

B- Apply to at least three positions and reach out to three people on my network each week

C- Apply to at least two positions and reach out to two people on my network each week

D- Apply to at least one position and reach out to one person on my network each week

F- Miss an entire week of job searching

Ready, set, go!

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Also,I've been doing more thinking about Steve's challenge to find a "main quest." Link's is to rescue Princess Zelda, Luke's is to defeat the Empire, Frodo's is to destroy the One Ring. But I've always struggled to define a "main quest" for my own life.

At this point, I still don't have one. I don't have a dream job that I'm trying to get. I don't have a huge race to train for or a goal-weight to reach. There's no one shining trophy that I'm trying to win.

Sometimes this can make it difficult to stick with my goals. Why am I training five days a week? Why am I eating fruits and vegetables when I could be eating pasta and bread? Why am I pushing myself hard when I could take a break?

It's tempting to take breaks. It's tempting to not push myself to become better. But I have an answer to that little voice in my head. I'm pushing myself now so that when my main quest surfaces, I will be ready for it. If I slack off now, if I take the easy road now, when my main quest surfaces, I will take the easy road then. And I refuse to do that.

I take the difficult path now, and I push myself now, so that I become used to pushing myself harder and farther than I naturally want to. Even when I find that "main quest," difficult times will come and I will want to give up. But when that happens, if I push myself now to keep going even when the path is difficult or unclear, I will continue to push forward then, too.

So I need to keep my eyes open for my "main quest;" I need to keep thinking about that. But in the meantime, I need to focus on making myself a better person now. I need to continue working on my "smaller" goals. And that, I will do.

"Are the gods not just?"

Oh. And for the challenge's points!!! I almost forgot that. Silly me.

Goal 1: CON +3

Goal 2: STA +3, STR +2

Goal 3: CON +3

Goal 4: WIS +4

Good luck to you all!

"Are the gods not just?"

It's indeed your fifth challenge, all of them as a proud member of the assassins :) For your life quest, maybe you should pick something small at first? Mine is to be able to do the splits, it's not a life changing skill but still something I would like to do eventually.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Eventually your main quest will come to you! Even if your main quest is "the journey" as in, always continueing forward, striving to be better. That, in itself, can be a main quest. I know I'm happiest when I know I'm moving forward. You just have to not worry about moving to a specific thing, if you can't think of any. Just make the thing happiness, fitness, self improvement, or even "be the highest leveled nerd on nerdfitness" anything! 

How're you doing Torpedotor? :) 

Before I had a specific place I wanted to be with a few things, I found it a good idea to look at exercises I might want to get to :) Like 90 degrees handstand push ups. Crazy things! But they give me something a long long way down the road to work towards :) 

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Haha. Thanks guys! Yes, I'm still here. It's just been a busy two weeks since the New Year, but I'm still working on my goals. I just haven't made the time to get on here and post about anything. Whoops. Thank you for all the encouragement!

Now that I have a day to relax (federal government snow day!) I can take some time to look at the past two weeks, see how I've been doing, and make adjustments going forward if needed. So...

Goal 1: Get more sleep. For the most part, I've been doing pretty well on this goal. I haven't been getting to bed before 11 too often, but part of that is because I have been doing a lot of pre-planning at night (including showering, packing a lunch, setting out work clothes) so I can afford to wake up later, still make and eat breakfast, and get to the metro on time. So most nights, I've gotten at least 7 hours of sleep (12-7). However, I would like to attempt to get to bed before 11 o'clock for a few nights. To do this, I'll schedule out my post-work evenings. I don't have a lot of time, and I have a lot of things I would like to get done, but sometimes I know I waste that time. By scheduling my evenings, I'll know what I need to be doing when. Hopefully, that will allow me to head to bed earlier.

Goal 2: Work out regularly. This goal has been sliiiightly neglected since I've spent two weekends away from home, and it's harder for me to work out on the road. Not a good enough excuse, I know. But I've worked out around 3 days each week all the same, so I'm not doing too poorly either. It's not too late to get back on track.

Goal 3: Eat right. I've been doing pretty well with this goal. I have definitely gotten at least two servings of fruit each day, and on most days I've gotten three servings of vegetables. I bought big bags of spinach and mixed greens, bought a bag of carrots, and got a bunch of frozen veggies. I tried to throw in a serving of vegetables for breakfast most days, but usually, I would just eat two servings in the evening: one right when I got home from work, and another during dinner. (I eat pretty late.)

Goal 4: Get a job. Well, I've been keeping up with half of this goal so far. I applied for four jobs the first week and four the second. But I haven't really reached out to many people in my network about my current job search, so that should start now. I have a few names in mind for this week, so I'll definitely talk to them in person or through e-mail.

And if any of you know of any openings in the DC, Philly, or NY area, let me know! ;)

So after 1/3 of the challenge, I'd give myself around a B. I'm doing pretty well on most of my goals, but there's certainly room for improvement on each of them.

"Are the gods not just?"

Well, a little over halfway, and I did pretty well on the goals last week. Reached out to some people in my network, applied for four more jobs, ate more fruit and veggies, got a little more sleep (and got to bed by 11 some nights), and worked out regularly. So good news. Now, hopefully, to keep this up through the end of the challenge.

"Are the gods not just?"

Not much change over the past week. Still trucking along on all my goals. Not perfect with any of them, but staying above average with all of them.

"Are the gods not just?"

That's great to hear, keep going! Maybe you can improve a little on yourself in the last week of the challenge and try to go for perfectly hitting your goals then! Anyway, great to hear you're still going strong!

That's great to hear, keep going! Maybe you can improve a little on yourself in the last week of the challenge and try to go for perfectly hitting your goals then! Anyway, great to hear you're still going strong!

I'm hoping to end on a high note. Thanks! Last week, here we go.

"Are the gods not just?"

****This is a semi-automatic message from your robot guild leader****

End of the challenge! Time to report.

This time, to be eligible for the most wanted list of the challenge, to allow us to have more data about the guild and many other good reasons, the most important being: you don't want to make your Robot guild leader cry :'(, please report a summary of your challenge wrap-up in this online form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1szgyHJNfrdtRWfCwCMKbC5Q3IiGziI_enFGsBzNRfo0/viewform

It shouldn't take you more than 2 minutes of your time, but it would save us a lot! As Usual, you can also write a more detailed report in the Challenge wrap-up thread:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/44145-challenge-wrap-up-thread/

And in your own thread. Thanks for your time!

****This was a semi-automatic message from your robot guild leader*****

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

1) Get more sleep! B+ (While I wasn't as consistent near the end, most nights I got around 7 hours of sleep.)

A- Average 7+ hours of sleep with no super short or super long nights (i.e. 9+ hours or 5- hours)

B- Average 6.5 hours of sleep

C- Average 6 hours of sleep

D- Average 5.5 hours of sleep

F- Average 5 hours of sleep

2) Work out regularly. B (Averaged 4 workouts a week.)

A- Work out 5 days a week

B- Work out 4 days a week

C- Work out 3 days a week

D- Work out 2 days a week

F- Work out 1 day a week

3) Eat right. B+ (Some weeks I only got 2 servings of vegetables a day, and others I got 3. But I always got at least 2 servings of fruit.)

A- Eat two servings of fruit a day, and three servings of vegetables

B- Eat two servings of fruit a day, and two servings of vegetables

C- Eat one serving of fruit a day, and two servings of vegetables

D- Eat one serving of fruit a day, and one serving of vegetables

F- Miss days of eating fruits and/or vegetables

4) Get a job. B (I applied to 3-4 jobs each week and reached out to about 3 people in (and outside of) my network each week.)

A- Apply to at least four positions and reach out to four people on my network each week

B- Apply to at least three positions and reach out to three people on my network each week

C- Apply to at least two positions and reach out to two people on my network each week

D- Apply to at least one position and reach out to one person on my network each week

F- Miss an entire week of job searching

Goal 1: CON +2.5

Goal 2: STA +2, STR +1.5

Goal 3: CON +2.5

Goal 4: WIS +3

New stats: STR- 15.5   DEX- 8   STA- 10.5   CON- 16.5   WIS- 14   CHA- 0

"Are the gods not just?"

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines