The Renaissance Rebels - New Year, New Reality (Cross-Guild Creatives)

I like LOYALTY for this week.  I have commited myself to daily 'status reports' for my particular mission and by GOD I'm going to do it.  I also have some side quests that my youngest brother assigned me (here's me swallowing my pride): I have to do six sets of 5 push-ups every day and I have to say 'I'm going to lose so much weight that there won't be enough fat left to bulge my stomach' (which of course is my goal was this year) aloud 3 times a day every day.  This does not seems too impossible for week 2 ^__^

Level 1 Hobbit. Warrior at heart

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Desired Class/Profession: Favored Soul/Warrior

"...But if you want to get what you never got, gotta do something that you've never done" - Mary Mary "Go Get It"

"Reasons or results - you decide" - Shin Ohtake, MAX Workouts

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee

"We Become What We Want to Be by Consistently Being What We Want to Become Each Day" - harlanJEN

Hey all,

I'm recovering from four days of the flu. I've pretty much done nothing but sleep and sit around all glazed. Didn't eat that much, but I've been so stuffed up I really can't smell anything. Trying to ease back into things today, but I still feel a bit tired.

Hobbit Bard

LEVEL 0

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

“There's always room for a story that can transport people to another place.†-JK Rowling

An Epic Journey Begins With One Step

Find me on HabitRPG!

Hey all,

I'm recovering from four days of the flu. I've pretty much done nothing but sleep and sit around all glazed. Didn't eat that much, but I've been so stuffed up I really can't smell anything. Trying to ease back into things today, but I still feel a bit tired.

Glad you're doing better! Definitely take your time easing back in - you don't want to set yourself back.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hey all,

I'm glad you are starting to feel better.  Easing back is a good idea, you're still recovering.  

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

My NF Character, My Current Challenge

Belated Summary for Week One

Main Quest
My commitment for 2014 is to participate in seven consecutive NF challenges with the following definite aim:

To overcome my current limitations (physical disability, bad habits, faulty beliefs and attitudes) and attain a high level of fitness and a healthy body weight, through a strategic combination of healthy eating, targeted physical activity, and systems design.

To accomplish that, I must become unstoppable as the "Shadow Lion," the heroine of the fantasy fiction series I am writing.

Missions in Support of My Main Quest

M1. Eat Right, Lose Weight - Ate well, lost one pound. A

M2. Get Ranger Fit - 4 cross fit classes and 6 mobility workouts. A
M3. Strategic Systems - Excellent on everything except got behind on posting and food logging, so very good overall. B

Life Side Quest

I resolve to not die with my best dreams and work still inside me, for I can bring beauty, joy, and healing into the world through my art, music, and writing

Missions in Support of My Life Side Quest

L1. Art - Got materials for drawing project, but did not start. C

L2. Craft - Knitted for about an hour, reworked shrug pattern. B
L3. Music - Reworking old repertoire. B
L4. Writing - Journaled daily for at least 20 minutes. No book progress. B

Status

My Main Quest is going very well - my commitment is strong and I am seeing progress. I am a bit more "shadow liony" than last week. With just about 50 weeks left in the year, I'd estimate I am about 2-3% toward my goal. I did not make any progress on my gamification mission, however. That is rolled over to Week Two.

My Life Quest is progressing, but not apace to meet my targets for this challenge. I need to spend more time and focus on the top priority items.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I like the format. :D

Thought you would! I figure a large part of creativity is knowing what to steal and from whom!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Hey, All - How did your Squad Mini-Challenge go this past week?

WEEK THREE SQUAD MINI-CHALLENGE

If Week Two's squad challenge worked for you, you have the opportunity to choose a different ball to focus on this week. Or, keep the same one. Whichever you like.

If you couldn't keep your eye on the ball or you dropped it, you have the opportunity to give it another go with whichever ball you think will help you the most.

I'm keeping the squad challenge simple and straightforward this time as we are entering our third week, which is where some rebels start to experience the dreaded dip of doom, as the momentum of starting the challenge fades and goals sometimes look very far away. If the squad challenge helps, by all means do it. If it distracts you from your primary objectives, skip it.

And, remember, one small action at a time...

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

If you are feeling the beginnings of a mid-challenge slump, you might want to do this:

NAME YOUR ENEMY

This was the Week One Squad Mini-Challenge last time, and I'm offering it as a remedy for the mid-challenge slump this time, separate from the mini-challenges.

Our rebel army is gathering...

The forces of inertia, self-doubt, and [insert name of your creativity's mortal enemy here], will suffer their first defeat of this campaign today!

The Week One squad challenge is to

Identify your primary obstacle to awesome success this challenge.

In a post on this thread:

1 ) NAME YOUR ENEMY. 

2 ) Report on your current status.

3 ) Let your fellow rebels know what assistance you need.

If you haven't specifically addressed your enemy's standard tactics in your challenge thread and goal plans, this would be a good time to do so. Prepare to withstand the inevitable opposition to your new habits and epic personal changes now. Then, when the attack comes you can stand strong with the aid of your accountabilibuddies!

Now is the time to draw on the experiences, ideas, and goodwill of your accountabilibuddies! And, helping your fellow accountabilibuddies through their struggles feels good and keeps the good karma flowing...

Let's blast through Week Three like it was Week One!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

My mini-challenge went pretty well. I didn't post every single day, but I did more than a dozen posts for the week, so I'm happy.

For the coming week, I am going to keep Loyalty and see if I can keep the posting going strong into the middle of the challenge. I can feel a little bit of mid-challenge slump starting, so I will use the "Name Your Enemy" technique, but it is going to have to wait until tomorrow. Made it out of the Foundations class into the regular CrossFit class today and I am exhausted! My bed is calling...

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Loyalty challenge: I did some of my web work obligations but not as much as I would have liked--and not enough to clear my plate of them for a while. I ended up procrastinating, working on my own stuff (including a new health-related spreadsheet), and being too tired to work into the night.

My enemy is habits that promote poor time-management skills. I have a hard time prioritizing tasks, building enthusiasm for some tasks, or keeping myself on task once I start. When I set aside time to get stuff done, it seldom happens. It's like a mental block.  At the moment, I have an article I need to write, a presentation I need to put together, some research that needs to get done, and a variety of web updates to make. 

What can anyone do to help me? Not much, unless someone can give me an electric shock every time I start to procrastinate.

Galaxy Gamer, Level 4 Ffifnaxian Druid/Webweaver/Bard

Intro | Battle Log | Challenges: #1 - #2 - #3 - #4Current

"You may never reach your goal, but you can never quit." --R. Tarfon

Loyalty challenge: I did some of my web work obligations but not as much as I would have liked--and not enough to clear my plate of them for a while. I ended up procrastinating, working on my own stuff (including a new health-related spreadsheet), and being too tired to work into the night.

My enemy is habits that promote poor time-management skills. I have a hard time prioritizing tasks, building enthusiasm for some tasks, or keeping myself on task once I start. When I set aside time to get stuff done, it seldom happens. It's like a mental block.  At the moment, I have an article I need to write, a presentation I need to put together, some research that needs to get done, and a variety of web updates to make. 

What can anyone do to help me? Not much, unless someone can give me an electric shock every time I start to procrastinate.

We can't be there to use a cattle prod on you, but you could commit to a daily post on this thread to say what you are going to do for the day and to account for the previous day's commitment. Think that might work? Knowing that you have accountabilibuddies waiting to hear how you did, wanting to cheer you on, but willing to call you on procrastinating... might peer pressure help?

I downloaded some habit tracker apps last night and will report back on those once I've tried some out. Some of them are supposed to help in prioritizing, one of my bugaboos. I make a list, prioritize the items, and everything is an Urgent/Important!

Leithient is a big fan of the Pomodoro Method and I can attest to it's effect on efficiency...when I use it. It's a good way to break down onerous tasks and stay on track for short, manageable stretches of time. You can Google it - lots of resources on the web about it.

Anybody else have ideas?

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Here's Week #2:

Main Side Quests

M1. Track calories daily. - Still trackin' and with some interesting results...
M2. Work out three days a week - I'm counting snow shoveling, so that makes 3

M3. Dermal health - Appointment next week.
M4. Dental health - Appointment this week, but have picked up better habits.

Life Side Quests

L1. Whip my manuscript into shape - I can see more areas that need to be polished.
L2. Find an agent - Spreadsheet on!
L3. Streamline my online presence and social media activity - Spreadsheet stalled!
L4. Set up school visits - This one might turn out to be a stretch.

Main Quest (to get healthy) is going well. I'm down a total of 30 pounds from my starting point, about five of those coming in the past two challenge weeks. I probably need to slow my weight loss so something healthy and sustainable but about 2.5 pounds seem to come off no matter what I eat in the week--which this week included indulging in cake, cookies, and soda while watching my New England Patriots lose a playoff game; and an MLK Day breakfast of blueberry pancakes, quiche, and cranberry muffins.

Creativity quests are still on track for submission of a polished manuscript to a number of appropriate agents by the end of the challenge.

We can't be there to use a cattle prod on you, but you could commit to a daily post on this thread to say what you are going to do for the day and to account for the previous day's commitment. Think that might work? Knowing that you have accountabilibuddies waiting to hear how you did, wanting to cheer you on, but willing to call you on procrastinating... might peer pressure help?

Couldn't hurt.  Okay, here are four things on my current to do list:

1. Article for the local media outlet about a new Hindu temple that's proposed to be built in our town. I've done research and interviewed the temple president and a local resident whose property abuts the site. Now I just need to write the dang thing--deadline was weeks ago.
  2. Presentation on how to forward an old website to a new website.
  3. Research on agents, their likes and dislikes, whether they are open to new clients, preferred submission formats, and potential connections.
  4. Web updates to the local interfaith council site, the regional author/illustrator site, and my personal author site.

Thanks for cheering me on.

I'm in a write-in group on Second Life. It's at 6am and 6pm Pacific Time. I find it helps quite a bit to have a set time to meet and write.

I would like something like HabitRPG or Fitocracy for food tracking. Something gamified. I really wish Fitocracy didn't just track fitness.

Hobbit Bard

LEVEL 0

“There's always room for a story that can transport people to another place.†-JK Rowling

Find me on HabitRPG!

1. Article for the local media outlet about a new Hindu temple that's proposed to be built in our town. I've done research and interviewed the temple president and a local resident whose property abuts the site. Now I just need to write the dang thing--deadline was weeks ago.
  3. Research on agents, their likes and dislikes, whether they are open to new clients, preferred submission formats, and potential connections.
  4. Web updates to the local interfaith council site, the regional author/illustrator site, and my personal author site.

You're welcome, now out comes the crusty old company officer...

"You've bitten off a lot to chew, GFish. I want a plan of action with your four items prioritized, tasks broken down, a realistic schedule, deadlines...you know the drill. And I want it tomorrow."

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

"You've bitten off a lot to chew, GFish. I want a plan of action with your four items prioritized, tasks broken down, a realistic schedule, deadlines...you know the drill. And I want it tomorrow."

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Yikes!  This is why I'm not army material.  :D

Okay, will do.

Most people don't know that the Fire Service is a paramilitary organization. You learn to follow orders when your life depends on it! I learned how to give a few, too. :smile-new:

At least I didn't tell you to drop to the engine bay floor and give me 25 pushups. Saving that one for if you don't follow your plan! Of course distance makes that one a little hard to enforce...

Hmmm, do you have someone in your household that can and will hold you accountable? Do they know how to use a cattle prod? :D

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

These are things that I really struggle with.  I find it helps to pick my top three things to finish on a certain day, and do them first thing.  Before I check my email, facebook, the news, or do anything else.  They don't have to be big in terms of time, but they do preferably need to be big in terms of impact.

After that one of two things happen: I get nothing else done - but I at least made some good progress, or the progress I've made feels motivating and I just keep plugging along.  Either way I win.

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

My NF Character, My Current Challenge

BEWARE!

dangerpuns.png

Giving my wife a cattle prod is a dangerous suggestion.

As you said, "What can anyone do to help me? Not much, unless someone can give me an electric shock every time I start to procrastinate." She'd be the obvious choice.

You never know, she might really get a charge out of it! Another way to keep that spark in your marriage...

Ohm my, I better stop on the puns before I'm grounded.

These are things that I really struggle with.  I find it helps to pick my top three things to finish on a certain day, and do them first thing.  Before I check my email, facebook, the news, or do anything else.  They don't have to be big in terms of time, but they do preferably need to be big in terms of impact.

After that one of two things happen: I get nothing else done - but I at least made some good progress, or the progress I've made feels motivating and I just keep plugging along.  Either way I win.

Kind of like what I do with my Kanban board. I pick three tasks and those have to get done before anything else can replace them. It really does help focus.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

The only way I get things done is by gaming myself through it. I've used Mindbloom in the past, and it's fine up to a point where you can't really go much further, so now I use HabitRPG. The gamer in me just has to get to the next level and not leave any quests undone. I also use Daytum to keep track of my writing habits. It lets you input your sessions, then track all sorts of things like daily average and word count total.

Hobbit Bard

LEVEL 0

Find me on HabitRPG!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines