The Renaissance Rebels - New Year, New Reality (Cross-Guild Creatives)

As you said, "What can anyone do to help me? Not much, unless someone can give me an electric shock every time I start to procrastinate." She'd be the obvious choice.

You never know, she might really get a charge out of it! Another way to keep that spark in your marriage...

Ohm my, I better stop on the puns before I'm grounded.

You're right. Okay, this is still a work in progress but happening.

Galaxy Gamer, Level 4 Ffifnaxian Druid/Webweaver/Bard

Intro | Battle Log | Challenges: #1 - #2 - #3 - #4Current

"You may never reach your goal, but you can never quit." --R. Tarfon

Yikes!  This is why I'm not army material.   :D

Okay, will do.

Did you get your plan done and priorities set? I kind of fell off the map last week in following up...

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

We are more than halfway to the finish line! How is everyone doing? I've noticed a drop in postings on our individual threads... Come on, we can do this!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

As the days start to lengthen here in the northern hemisphere, I've been doing a little reading about the old Celtic festival of Imbolc:

Wikipedia says "The holiday was a festival of the hearth and home, and a celebration of the lengthening days and the early signs of spring. Celebrations often involved hearthfires, special foods (butter, milk, and bannocks, for example), divination or watching for omens, candles or a bonfire if the weather permitted.Fire and purification were an important part of the festival. The lighting of candles and fires represented the return of warmth and the increasing power of the Sun over the coming months."

Water was the other element that received particular attention, with people visiting holy wells associated first with the pagan goddess Brighid, and later with St. Brigit. Brighid was considered an inspirer of poets and patroness of smiths, a healer, as well as a fertility goddess associated with lambing time, the end of winter and the beginning of planting season.

So here's a mini-challenge for the poets and bardish types, smiths, healers, and anyone else among us who can use a little creative kickstart:

Third Squad Mini-Challenge

Get Your Myth On

(Runs from NOW, your local time through

Wednesday, Feb. 5, your local time)

1) Pick a myth, god, goddess, mythic hero, or other inspiration and find out a little bit about your inspiration/mini-challenge muse and any associated symbols, elements, etc.

2) Take at least 15 minutes to free-associate, journal, reflect on how this relates to your creativity.

3) Find an object/token that will help remind you to take your creativity seriously and make it a priority, or devise a small action or creative ritual that helps ease you into your creative efforts or to make time for your creative endeavors.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I will use Brighid as my mythic muse and will journal/reflect on fire and water, using the following questions as prompts:

What are the deep wellsprings of my creativity?

How can I tap those hidden sources to feed my creativity and help me produce new work?

How can I keep the flame of inspiration burning and create even when I am busy, tired, and taken up with the demands of daily life?

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

My challenge is going pretty well. Keeping up with the CrossFit workouts. Just did three this last week - instead of my goal of four - but with my trainer's blessing. I moved from the Foundations class into the regular class and I needed rest! Lost one pound; paleoish about 70% of the time. Keeping at systems and creativity goals.

Got the drawing for my mom's birthday started, and it has become a mixed media project of watercolor and prismacolor pencil, instead of the black and white pencil portrait that I originally envisioned. Behind on my knitting and writing, and my music is slow going, but they are all still going, albeit at a slower pace than I intended at challenge start. What I am doing is pretty good though, given how much I am doing, so I am adjusting my expectations rather than beating myself up over it.

Fell behind on posting goal for squad mini-challenge. Not very happy with myself over that.

I have really cut down on computer time lately, though that wasn't a conscious goal. It's more a result of simply being too busy to spend much time sitting in front of a screen. My TV time is down to less than 3 hours a week, which is part of why my knitting is going so slow!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I was looking for where all the creative nerds hang out, I think I found them =].

I opened up a thread for workshoping and sharing poetry if there are any poets in this creative bunch:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/43572-the-poets-corner/

Very Nice...Your poet's corner, with it's poem showcase, looks like a cool place even for non-poets to enjoy. And the poets among us should appreciate the camaraderie and helpful critiques! Thanks for dropping by!

Definitely check it out, Renaissance Rebels.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Did you get your plan done and priorities set? I kind of fell off the map last week in following up...

Since I last checked in I've done a whole lot of organizational planning that needed to get done in my life, including emptying out my inbox of a few thousand emails (I'm down to less than a hundred) and setting up to-do lists and resource banks for major facets of my life.

I did the presentation and it was well received. I've done some good research into literary agents but there's still more to do. I've done web updates, but the nature of those is that they are never-ending. The article is still on tap, and I've added a new book project to the list.  I did a blog entry for a group blog I belong to and I'm also planning out a new writing community that I'm pretty excited about. It could be very big.

• Like 1

This week I've managed to keep to my new workout schedule, and even increased the amount of weight I'm using!  My arms feel like jello afterwards, but I know it'll be for my benefit in the future.  Reconnaissance is starting to be a bit less embarrassing, though that may be because I'm not failing as often as I was when I first started out ('that's the point', I know).

I've been trying to keep up with my kanban board with pretty good results.  I still need more practice to get it down to a science, though.  My crocheting is going well, and using it to keep my hands busy while relaxing seems ot be the way to go for me.  I'm DYING to do another music video; I plan to recruit my husband to help me with it tonight (my 'Year of No Fear' for myself).

The big thing I'll be working on for the rest of this week and into next will be my novel.  I FINALLY got through the old draft of it, and MAN is it bad...  My characters are so schizophrenic in their actions that it gave me a headache and I'm so grateful that I never tried to publish it 'cause I would have been laughed off the planet.  I'm currently trying to untangle the mess since there are some really good ideas in the midst of the mess, but figuring out how to do it saps my motivation.  I'm determined to start working on it now instead of waiting for inspiration to strike in 2-3 years, however.  That's my personal goal this week, to write SOMETHING pertaining to my book before each episode of Spartacus.  I need to 'break flow' with my TV watching anyway and this seems like a productive way to go about it!

Sorry I've been lurking as of late.  I was wrapped up in my own self-pity and that's not fair to everyone here who's trying so hard.  ::hangs head in shame::

Oh!  And while I must admit that I don't know a lot of myths or legends, I want to attempt the mini-challenge this week if it's not too late to get in on it.

Level 1 Hobbit. Warrior at heart

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Desired Class/Profession: Favored Soul/Warrior

"...But if you want to get what you never got, gotta do something that you've never done" - Mary Mary "Go Get It"

"Reasons or results - you decide" - Shin Ohtake, MAX Workouts

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee

"We Become What We Want to Be by Consistently Being What We Want to Become Each Day" - harlanJEN

I have started the Thing-a-day challenge. 

This year I am going to do watercolours. Since the last time I did play with it was in primary school, I have no idea what I am doing. 

But it is going to be fun anyway.

Sorry I've been lurking as of late.  I was wrapped up in my own self-pity and that's not fair to everyone here who's trying so hard.  ::hangs head in shame::

Don't worry, you are not the only one.

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

I have really cut down on computer time lately, though that wasn't a conscious goal. It's more a result of simply being too busy to spend much time sitting in front of a screen. My TV time is down to less than 3 hours a week, which is part of why my knitting is going so slow!

It is interesting that you bring up your reduced screen time.  Reducing screen time is on my mind a lot lately.  I want to reduce my time on the computer, but increase my activity here.  I feel like those two desires go against each other and I've been trying to think of how to balance them.

Since I last checked in I've done a whole lot of organizational planning that needed to get done in my life, including emptying out my inbox of a few thousand emails (I'm down to less than a hundred) and setting up to-do lists and resource banks for major facets of my life.

I did the presentation and it was well received. I've done some good research into literary agents but there's still more to do. I've done web updates, but the nature of those is that they are never-ending. The article is still on tap, and I've added a new book project to the list.  I did a blog entry for a group blog I belong to and I'm also planning out a new writing community that I'm pretty excited about. It could be very big.

This all sounds super productive to me.  Great job!

We all have our things that keep us busy or away at various times.  Go easy on yourself.  

This year I am going to do watercolours. Since the last time I did play with it was in primary school, I have no idea what I am doing. 

I had forgotten about the Thing-a-day (which sounds so interesting).  Water colors sound like a really fun choice.

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

My NF Character, My Current Challenge

Alright! Wow, giving that cattle prod to your wife worked wonders... :playful: Seriously, I am impressed with your progress. It sounds like an incredibly productive week.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

This week I've managed to keep to my new workout schedule, and even increased the amount of weight I'm using!  My arms feel like jello afterwards, but I know it'll be for my benefit in the future.  Reconnaissance is starting to be a bit less embarrassing, though that may be because I'm not failing as often as I was when I first started out ('that's the point', I know).

I've been trying to keep up with my kanban board with pretty good results.  I still need more practice to get it down to a science, though.  My crocheting is going well, and using it to keep my hands busy while relaxing seems ot be the way to go for me.  I'm DYING to do another music video; I plan to recruit my husband to help me with it tonight (my 'Year of No Fear' for myself).

The big thing I'll be working on for the rest of this week and into next will be my novel.  I FINALLY got through the old draft of it, and MAN is it bad...  My characters are so schizophrenic in their actions that it gave me a headache and I'm so grateful that I never tried to publish it 'cause I would have been laughed off the planet.  I'm currently trying to untangle the mess since there are some really good ideas in the midst of the mess, but figuring out how to do it saps my motivation.  I'm determined to start working on it now instead of waiting for inspiration to strike in 2-3 years, however.  That's my personal goal this week, to write SOMETHING pertaining to my book before each episode of Spartacus.  I need to 'break flow' with my TV watching anyway and this seems like a productive way to go about it!

Oh!  And while I must admit that I don't know a lot of myths or legends, I want to attempt the mini-challenge this week if it's not too late to get in on it.

You've been making some serious progress, Lady! You've got clear until Thursday on the mini-challenge.

What? Shame? Looks to me like you just stopped lurking and broke the cycle. That's what matters around here. No need for shame with your fellow accountabilibuddies. We all fall into our respective ruts at times, sometimes multiple times per challenge! What matters is that we get back up and keep going.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Don't worry, you are not the only one.

Good luck on your Thing-a-day challenge - it sounds like it will be fun. I like how you choose to do things that are a stretch for you in some way and help you grow in new artistic directions every time!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

It is interesting that you bring up your reduced screen time.  Reducing screen time is on my mind a lot lately.  I want to reduce my time on the computer, but increase my activity here.  I feel like those two desires go against each other and I've been trying to think of how to balance them.

It sure is working out that way for me. I'm really having a hard time keeping up and want to do more posting, but have no idea how to balance it all out. If you come up with any good ideas, please let me know!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

It sure is working out that way for me. I'm really having a hard time keeping up and want to do more posting, but have no idea how to balance it all out. If you come up with any good ideas, please let me know!

I'm all over the place when it comes to internet usage.  I scan facebook to see what friends are doing, read random news articles, check on ravelry (yay knitting), and research health, wellness, childhood development, etsy business ownership, and any other random interests.  Oh and I try and check in here somewhat regularly.

I know I want to spend less screen time which means I need to cut something out.  But then I want to do more here which means I need to cut even more out.  I'm sure I'm not using all the time that I am online productively, but much of what I do is important to me.  There has to be a balance somewhere.

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

I'm all over the place when it comes to internet usage.  I scan facebook to see what friends are doing, read random news articles, check on ravelry (yay knitting), and research health, wellness, childhood development, etsy business ownership, and any other random interests.  Oh and I try and check in here somewhat regularly.

I know I want to spend less screen time which means I need to cut something out.  But then I want to do more here which means I need to cut even more out.  I'm sure I'm not using all the time that I am online productively, but much of what I do is important to me.  There has to be a balance somewhere.

I hear you. (Ravelry, yay!) I don't know where else to cut, either, and I've implemented about all of the time/intenet/computer/lifehacks that I can manage, so I can't compress much more into the time I do have.

Short of voice-activated web-browsing and having the computer read to me while I'm doing something else, I don't see much alternative. That solution sounds dubious at best, as I think the technical skills and maintenance would probably take a huge amount of time to learn and implement. *Sigh* I do wish that I could mount a tablet on the wall in the kitchen and have it read to me while I cook and clean up, though...

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

@Lt_Laurel Totally understand where you're coming from there, I always get caught in a cycle of reading what seems to be a never-ending amount of tabs.

Hi my fellow creative maestros! You might remember me from the previous challenge when I was a part of this group, in this challenge I'm technically not part of any guilds or anything but I still consider myself to be part of the renaissance rebels.

Remember when I was in a bit of a creative rut? Well, things have improved this time, and I'm hoping by the end of this challenge I can showcase something here to show for it. Creativity is still my most difficult hurdle but I will conquer it (just like my other goals, which are going swimmingly!)

Hope you've all had a good challenge and a great 5 weeks or-so into the new year, take care! ;-)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

IntroductionBodyware: Fitness Journal

Challenge Belt: (1)(2)(3)(4), (5), (6), (7), [WOOT](8), [TEMP HIATUS], (9)

Bodyweight Info: Starting: 264.5lbs, Current: 167.8lbs (NEUTRAL)

IronGlider v2.10, Adventurer Rank: Level 8

Remember when I was in a bit of a creative rut? Well, things have improved this time, and I'm hoping by the end of this challenge I can showcase something here to show for it. Creativity is still my most difficult hurdle but I will conquer it (just like my other goals, which are going swimmingly!)

So glad to hear from you, and so glad to hear your goals are going well this challenge!  I'm looking forward to whatever you are willing to showcase.  

I had someone once tell me my computer would run better if I didn't have so many tabs open.  I was all  :blink:.  Cause I need those?  I mean... doesn't everyone keep a ton open?  Is this not normal?  

• Like 1

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

@Lt_Laurel Totally understand where you're coming from there, I always get caught in a cycle of reading what seems to be a never-ending amount of tabs.

Hi my fellow creative maestros! You might remember me from the previous challenge when I was a part of this group, in this challenge I'm technically not part of any guilds or anything but I still consider myself to be part of the renaissance rebels.

Hope you've all had a good challenge and a great 5 weeks or-so into the new year, take care! ;-)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Hey! Great to hear from you and glad that you are making such good progress. You are always welcome here. Can't wait to see what you've been doing!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'm getting caught up and posting more/sooner...

Week 4 Summary

Missions in Support of My Main Quest

M1. Eat Right, Lose Weight - Lost another pound and ate reasonably well, given that I was out of town for the weekend for a family birthday. Paleoish about 75% of the time.  B
M2. Get Ranger Fit - 3 cross fit classes and 6 mobility workouts, rest day instead of 4th workout with trainer's blessing. Now in the regular class (with much scaling) and seeing steady improvement in skills, strength and endurance. A

M3. Strategic Systems. A

Missions in Support of My Life Side Quest

L1. Art - Mixed media portrait, watercolor and prismacolor pencil, for mom's birthday. DONE A
L2. Craft - Knitted a little. C

L3. Music - Practicing, arrangements. A

L4. Writing - Journaling regularly. A

Status
My Main Quest was much steadier this week. - my commitment is strong and I am seeing definite progress. I am just a bit more "shadow liony" than last week. With just about 47 weeks left in this year, I'd estimate I am about 4% toward my goal. I am on this mission for as long as it takes. I did not make any progress on my gamification mission. That is rolled over to Week ?.

A WOOT: I hit a major milestone this past week - my current exercise program is the most intense and of the longest duration I have been able to sustain since the summer of 2004 when the whole problem with the nerve pain in my leg started.

My Life Quest is progressing, and with last week's modifications to expectations, it is now in much better alignment with my Main Quest Goals.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I hear you. (Ravelry, yay!) I don't know where else to cut, either, and I've implemented about all of the time/intenet/computer/lifehacks that I can manage, so I can't compress much more into the time I do have.

I read this and I think "lifehacks for managing internet usage?!  I need to research this on the internet!"  This is a vicious cycle.  haha

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

I read this and I think "lifehacks for managing internet usage?!  I need to research this on the internet!"  This is a vicious cycle.  haha

Oh, it is! There are apps, timers, screen locks for your computer/device. For your browser, there are tab groupers, managers, and who knows what all else...there's just no easy on/off switch for our minds and our obsessions!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Week #5 details are up on my challenge log. Highlights...

Main Side Quests

M1. Track calories daily. - Some days I am only tracking breakfast and lunch.

M2. Work out three days a week - I have been slacking a bit and looking forward to warm weather.

M3. Dermal health - The scabs are healing up nicely, thank you.

M4. Dental health - Last week's appointment was postponed due to blizzard.

Life Side Quests

L1. Whip my manuscript into shape - Stretch goal: working on a new book!

L2. Find an agent - Targets acquired...

L3. Streamline my online presence and social media activity - Project Awesome continues.

L4. Set up school visits - Bubbling under the surface

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines