The Renaissance Rebels - New Year, New Reality (Cross-Guild Creatives)

My Week Five Summary - my best week yet! Heading into the home stretch...

Just a few more days. Let's do this, people!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Final Squad Mini-Challenge for Challenge #1 of 2014

Just a few days left, so how about something quick and easy.

Show and Tell/Share Day

You have your choice of:

1) Share your creative output. Post a picture, sample, or link related to something creative you have done this challenge. Remember that we keep a pretty broad definition of creativity here, so it can be anything from a picture to a poem, a recipe to a creative solution to a mundane problem, a doodle to a dream - anything that kept your creative spark going this challenge.

2) Share your creative inspiration. Nothing to show? Shy? Post something that inspires you. A quote, a picture, whatever makes you want to create.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

"Get Your Myth On" was quite helpful to me. Reflected and journaled on my creative sources and motivations and got a few surprises there. Much food for thought. My action step was a major clean out and revamp of my art-making space. I am about halfway through that and expect to have it finished by the end of the challenge.

My 'Share" for this week's mini-challenge - my drawing from last week's life drawing class. The assignment was to draw from a plaster cast, then try to personalize it/bring it to life. I'm pretty happy with it, especially since I hadn't touched charcoal to paper in over a decade. It was fun to work in something other than pencils and/or watercolor.

putin.png

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

bonfire_zps5582de61.png

This is a picture I took at our town's annual bonfire this January. Christmas trees are collected and set ablaze by firefighters in the field behind my house. This year I hosted a "Bonfire of Inspiration" afterparty for local authors and illustrators, and the result of my own inspiration was my first ever picture book manuscript--working title: THE FIRST ANNUAL HOT CHOCOLATE BONFIRE AFTERPARTY. It will go out to agents at the end of this challenge period, along with my novel.

• Like 2

Galaxy Gamer, Level 4 Ffifnaxian Druid/Webweaver/Bard

Intro | Battle Log | Challenges: #1 - #2 - #3 - #4Current

"You may never reach your goal, but you can never quit." --R. Tarfon

Love the bonfire of inspiration party idea and good luck on your picture book and your novel. It sounds like you are "on fire" with getting things done!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Sneak attack. Thought maybe I was overdoing the hazmat humor.

On second thought...

pun5.png

....some of my puns are pretty toxic. :playful:

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Thinking ahead to future challenges? Here are the dates from the FAQ in case you haven't seen them yet:

Feb 24th - April 6th
April 14th - May 25th
June 9th - July 20th
July 28th - Sept 7th
Sept 15th - Oct 26th
Nov 10th - Dec 21st
Then break for the new year.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Me, too! On the already started planning and on it being the favorite part, that is. Sometimes the challenge itself is just plain hard work. Worth it, but it can be a real grind about midway through.

Tomorrow is my free eat day, so I've just got the burpee and knee pushup sets, interspersed with finishing the last part of my mini-challenge #3 (cleaning up the art area) for tonight, then free time for some creative stuff tomorrow and this one's done. Rarin' to go on the next one and am trying on lots of different ideas... Given the progress I've made this time on conditioning, I'm seriously considering moving the "Shadow Lion Laughs at Burpees" to much earlier in the year!

What are you thinking of doing? Anything really catch your imagination for the next challenge?

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

We're all either done or wrapping it up for the first challenge of 2014. How did you do?

Please post a  brief summary of your challenge here or a link to the one you post for your guild. (Remember to post one for your guild so you get credit/points/street cred.)

And here's a little something to help your planning for the next one: Life is a game. This is your strategy.

I'll be keeping an eye on the forums to see if threads will be continued into next challenge or not. How do you all feel? Should we just have a new one, or if the option is available, continue here on this one?

Either way, we'll keep using this one for a few more days, at least, until the new forum is up.

I hope this challenge was one for your personal record books!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I've learned so much about myself this challenge!  I don't know if reconnaisance counts for achievment, but honestly, without this mission, I would never be able ot achieve the things that I WILL achieve in future missions.  ^_^  This is my very first mission and i thank you all so much for your support and kind words.

And here's a little something to help your planning for the next one: Life is a game. This is your strategy.

I should mention that the Life is a Game article induced one part elation to 2 parts mind-numbing terror that I've wasted too much gameplay already

bonfire_zps5582de61.png

This is a picture I took at our town's annual bonfire this January. Christmas trees are collected and set ablaze by firefighters in the field behind my house. This year I hosted a "Bonfire of Inspiration" afterparty for local authors and illustrators, and the result of my own inspiration was my first ever picture book manuscript--working title: THE FIRST ANNUAL HOT CHOCOLATE BONFIRE AFTERPARTY. It will go out to agents at the end of this challenge period, along with my novel.

I love this picture!  It sounds like you really put yourself out there to help make this happen ^_^

"Get Your Myth On" was quite helpful to me. Reflected and journaled on my creative sources and motivations and got a few surprises there. Much food for thought. My action step was a major clean out and revamp of my art-making space. I am about halfway through that and expect to have it finished by the end of the challenge.

My 'Share" for this week's mini-challenge - my drawing from last week's life drawing class. The assignment was to draw from a plaster cast, then try to personalize it/bring it to life. I'm pretty happy with it, especially since I hadn't touched charcoal to paper in over a decade. It was fun to work in something other than pencils and/or watercolor.

putin.png

It's a wonderful picture, hon!  I'm glad you were able ot do something a little different and have it turn out well.

Level 1 Hobbit. Warrior at heart

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Desired Class/Profession: Favored Soul/Warrior

"...But if you want to get what you never got, gotta do something that you've never done" - Mary Mary "Go Get It"

"Reasons or results - you decide" - Shin Ohtake, MAX Workouts

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee

"We Become What We Want to Be by Consistently Being What We Want to Become Each Day" - harlanJEN

Lady Senie - Glad that you were on board for this challenge! I thought your recon idea was a great way to get started and build a solid platform for future success.

I hear you on the Life is a Game article. Try being 55 and reading it! Oy, I already struggle with feeling like I don't have enough time left, but I'm banking on playing smart and being healthy from all my NF challenges. I'm going for ninety+. :tongue: 

Thanks for the pic feedback! I'd forgotten how much fun charcoal can be.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Week 6 Summary

Challenge Summary

This was by far my best challenge yet - Thank you all for your support and inspiration! I couldn't have done it without you!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Given the progress I've made this time on conditioning, I'm seriously considering moving the "Shadow Lion Laughs at Burpees" to much earlier in the year!

What are you thinking of doing? Anything really catch your imagination for the next challenge?

I think you can move up the laughs at burpees!  You don't have to be ready to laugh, just ready to work towards laughing.  Or that is what I think anyway.  :)

Nothing has really caught my imagination, but I do know I want to do a couch to 5k program because I'm doing a 5k in april (color me rad), and I want to work on eating more veggies.

We're all either done or wrapping it up for the first challenge of 2014. How did you do?

My wrap up post

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

My NF Character, My Current Challenge

Couch to 5K, huh? That is rad - have you ever done one before? I think running scares me a lot more than burpees! Let us know what program you decide on, there may be some other Renaissance Rebels that might want to join you!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Challenge 1, Final Update:

Main Side Quests

M1. Track calories daily. - B
M2. Work out three days a week - B

M3. Dermal health - A

M4. Dental health - Cleeeeeeeean!

Life Side Quests

L1. Whip my manuscript into shape - A

L2. Find an agent - A

L3. Streamline my online presence and social media activity - B

L4. Set up school visits - X

After six weeks, I am in a healthier state and have also advanced my creative goals. Even better, I'm positioned to make further advances going forward. The six week format certainly helped me to set goals that were achievable and measurable and to chart progress toward them on a weekly basis. I will definitely be doing more of these during 2014 and beyond.

• Like 1

Galaxy Gamer, Level 4 Ffifnaxian Druid/Webweaver/Bard

Intro | Battle Log | Challenges: #1 - #2 - #3 - #4Current

"You may never reach your goal, but you can never quit." --R. Tarfon

I consider this challenge a success, the whole30 went very well, I lost 9 kg over the six weeks.

Exercise was a washout.

As for creativity, I am still busy with the thing-a-day challenge, this year I am doing watercolours and like always I am amazed by the quantity of work that a few week's efforts can bring. Anyway here is the link so far. 

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

Couch to 5K, huh? That is rad - have you ever done one before? I think running scares me a lot more than burpees! Let us know what program you decide on, there may be some other Renaissance Rebels that might want to join you!

I've don't the Couch to 5k program from cool running before and liked it.  I successfully was able to run for 30 minutes once I completed it, but for me 30 minutes did NOT equal 5k.  I'm a turtle.  I may go back to that same program, I hear there is a zombie version which might be fun.

After six weeks, I am in a healthier state and have also advanced my creative goals. Even better, I'm positioned to make further advances going forward. The six week format certainly helped me to set goals that were achievable and measurable and to chart progress toward them on a weekly basis. I will definitely be doing more of these during 2014 and beyond.

You did really good this challenge!  I'm glad you found the 6 week format so much more simple.

I consider this challenge a success, the whole30 went very well, I lost 9 kg over the six weeks.

Exercise was a washout.

As for creativity, I am still busy with the thing-a-day challenge, this year I am doing watercolours and like always I am amazed by the quantity of work that a few week's efforts can bring. Anyway here is the link so far. 

Woohoo! That is a lot of watercolors, daily work really does produce a lot.

• Like 1

Pixie Warrior 

I aim to misbehave

My NF Character, My Current Challenge

I've don't the Couch to 5k program from cool running before and liked it.  I successfully was able to run for 30 minutes once I completed it, but for me 30 minutes did NOT equal 5k.  I'm a turtle.  I may go back to that same program, I hear there is a zombie version which might be fun.

I've heard of 'Zombie's Run!' and it sounds like a blast ^_^ If you decide on that one, do you mind if I get in on that action?  It would be a wonderful excuse to get outsideand use the walking paths in my community again.

Level 1 Hobbit. Warrior at heart

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Desired Class/Profession: Favored Soul/Warrior

"...But if you want to get what you never got, gotta do something that you've never done" - Mary Mary "Go Get It"

"Reasons or results - you decide" - Shin Ohtake, MAX Workouts

"Defeat is a state of mind; no one is ever defeated until defeat has been accepted as a reality." - Bruce Lee

"We Become What We Want to Be by Consistently Being What We Want to Become Each Day" - harlanJEN

New Challenge thread is up!

Renaissance Rebels: Quest to Solve the Florentine Puzzle

I'm cooking up a Renaissance-themed puzzle where the clues to solve it are unlocked by completing some short, fun, fitness and/or creative mini-challenges. Something to keep us motivated. I'm stumped on what should be the stakes if the puzzle is not solved, however. Any ideas?

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Challenge 1, Final Update:

Main Side Quests

M1. Track calories daily. - B

M2. Work out three days a week - B

M3. Dermal health - A

M4. Dental health - Cleeeeeeeean!

Life Side Quests

L1. Whip my manuscript into shape - A

L2. Find an agent - A

L3. Streamline my online presence and social media activity - B

L4. Set up school visits - X

Exercise was a washout.

You guys did great!

gfishbone - Maybe you don't really need a cattle prod after all! You got a lot done in a short time.

Jakkals - You lost an impressive amount of weight on just 6 weeks! I really liked seeing your watercolors and how you are getting more facility with each day.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

You did really good this challenge!  I'm glad you found the 6 week format so much more simple.

Woohoo! That is a lot of watercolors, daily work really does produce a lot.

I've heard of 'Zombie's Run!' and it sounds like a blast ^_^ If you decide on that one, do you mind if I get in on that action?  It would be a wonderful excuse to get outsideand use the walking paths in my community again.

You guys are scaring me... I'm almost ready to try running, too.

I downloaded the RunDouble couch to 5K app last night and it actually looks doable. Maybe we could all try different ones and compare and review them after a week or so to see which ones work the best?

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines