• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CourtnieMarie

CM’s practice makes perfect challenge

Main quest: Reduce body fat to 25%

Last full challenge I fell off the wagon around thanksgiving. I got back on it and gave myself Christmas off. But still failed my 2 week serenity challenge because of parties and friends and fun. I don’t regret it – I’m just explaining why I keep having the same goals over and over. I’d like to really string together some good weeks. Not just 4 days here then 2 days off the charts then 5 good days and etc. etc.

Goal 1: Protein. (over 35%)

Goal 2: Fat. (25-29%)

Goal 3: Carbs. (35-45%)

Grading: 6 or 7 days within goal A; 5 days B; 4 days C; <4 days F

Calorie goal may change. Starting at 1760 and depending on what I’m seeing in my workouts and on the scale after a couple weeks I may raise it. I also love constructive criticism if anyone has any input on these numbers :)

Side quest: Continue lifting and bodyweight work 3x/week. I’m still focusing on progressing pistol squats and pushups. I completed 15 reps of incline pushups last challenge and thought I’d be moving to the floor. I was not able to do so. So, I moved to a lower incline and we’ll work from there. Someday, folks. Someday. Regarding pistol squats: I can kind of do 8 reps of pistol squats on a raised bench. I say kind of because I’m still leaning forward a bunch and can’t get my butt below parallel. Again, any tips or criticism is always appreciated.

I hope to continue exploring new recipes that fit my macros and make eating easy and delicious!

I’d like to really string together some good weeks. Not just 4 days here then 2 days off the charts then 5 good days and etc. etc.

Wait.  That's a thing? People can actually do that?!  I'm right there with you on trying to tie things together.  I'm going to get on here Saturday and write slogans about staying within your macros.  Feel free to do the same for me.  

I'll drop off any recipes that I stumble across/build from scratch that are magically delicious for you too.  

Calorie goal may change. Starting at 1760 and depending on what I’m seeing in my workouts and on the scale after a couple weeks I may raise it. I also love constructive criticism if anyone has any input on these numbers :)

Side quest: Continue lifting and bodyweight work 3x/week.

Well, since you ask, I don't remember how much you weigh but a woman who weighs 130lbs who is lightly active (works out 1-3 times a week) needs ~1900 calories a day to maintain her weight. Moderately active (3-5 times a week) requires ~2100. For that matter, a woman who weighs about 100lbs still requires 1700 calories if she's only lightly active. So 1760 seems low to me.

Wait.  That's a thing? People can actually do that?!  I'm right there with you on trying to tie things together.  I'm going to get on here Saturday and write slogans about staying within your macros.  Feel free to do the same for me.  

I'll drop off any recipes that I stumble across/build from scratch that are magically delicious for you too.  

Yes. saturday slogans are needed. that would be great!

i'm subbed to your thread so feel free to leave recipes there and I'll snatch them.

i don't quite understand this meme but I had to post it because well bear and beer.

b98ff88cb4bba26226aeb9fe45670318c42033d6

Well, since you ask, I don't remember how much you weigh but a woman who weighs 130lbs who is lightly active (works out 1-3 times a week) needs ~1900 calories a day to maintain her weight. Moderately active (3-5 times a week) requires ~2100. For that matter, a woman who weighs about 100lbs still requires 1700 calories if she's only lightly active. So 1760 seems low to me.

i need this re-affirmed sometimes. I agree with you. I think slowly upping my calories say 70 or 140/week is going to be the way I work up to maintenance. I'm still trying to lose a few more pounds (I'm around 156 and 5'6.5") and I think if i keep slowly upping my calories from this deficit will allow me to slowly shed those last few pounds and then not have it be such a shock to the system when I'm eating at maintenance again. Does that seem like reasonable logic? Because I totally made it up.

i need this re-affirmed sometimes. I agree with you. I think slowly upping my calories say 70 or 140/week is going to be the way I work up to maintenance. I'm still trying to lose a few more pounds (I'm around 156 and 5'6.5") and I think if i keep slowly upping my calories from this deficit will allow me to slowly shed those last few pounds and then not have it be such a shock to the system when I'm eating at maintenance again. Does that seem like reasonable logic? Because I totally made it up.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. If you're eating at maintenance for 130#, that's about a deficit of 100-150 calories a day for a weight of 150 depending on what your activity level is, so if you slowly make your way up to even 1900-2100 a day you should still be able to lose weight, even if it's veeeeeeery slow. :)

Yes. saturday slogans are needed. that would be great!

i'm subbed to your thread so feel free to leave recipes there and I'll snatch them.

i don't quite understand this meme but I had to post it because well bear and beer.

b98ff88cb4bba26226aeb9fe45670318c42033d6

I'd give that panda my number.

WORD. This eating this is really awesome.  It's fun to eat more and lift. Craziness.  So, good plan on the slow increase to see what happens. 

Sub'd.

And lurking for recipes.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. If you're eating at maintenance for 130#, that's about a deficit of 100-150 calories a day for a weight of 150 depending on what your activity level is, so if you slowly make your way up to even 1900-2100 a day you should still be able to lose weight, even if it's veeeeeeery slow. :)

I'll second this. It helps a whole lot to follow a plan that's closer to your maintenance. It seems like every time I try to cut these past few months, the temptation to cheat is higher, and when those opportunities like holidays, and parties come around I get derailed. Being nearer maintenance removes most or all of the temptation.

I like how your goals are ALL food-related. Sometimes I think I need to do that, but I don't really have a specific plan I know I want to follow (which is probably part of the underlying problem, huh?).

I increased my calorie intake from 1800ish (with lots of cheating, but also days closer to 1600 to try to compensate for what felt like necessary cheating), to about 2200-2300. I did gain weight at first. But my weight felt pretty stable. Now if I could just string together consistent, hard workouts without getting hurt or sick, I'd probably start dropping some weight! :) 

Good luck with your challenge! 

Okay, good! That's the plan anyway. To work up to and even beyond 2100. Thanks! :D

Good luck stringing the good days together.

Thanks! History says I'll need it.

I'd give that panda my number.

WORD. This eating this is really awesome.  It's fun to eat more and lift. Craziness.  So, good plan on the slow increase to see what happens. 

Right? The magically delicious thing is throwing me off though...

Eating is soooo much fun!

Sub'd.

And lurking for recipes.

I'll second this. It helps a whole lot to follow a plan that's closer to your maintenance. It seems like every time I try to cut these past few months, the temptation to cheat is higher, and when those opportunities like holidays, and parties come around I get derailed. Being nearer maintenance removes most or all of the temptation.

That's good to know. I'm coming off about two years of a deficit with lots of vacations and holidays of course. I'm hopeful that with everything I've learned from NF, I can get back up to my maintenance calories while staying at a reasonable body fat%.

I like how your goals are ALL food-related. Sometimes I think I need to do that, but I don't really have a specific plan I know I want to follow (which is probably part of the underlying problem, huh?).

I increased my calorie intake from 1800ish (with lots of cheating, but also days closer to 1600 to try to compensate for what felt like necessary cheating), to about 2200-2300. I did gain weight at first. But my weight felt pretty stable. Now if I could just string together consistent, hard workouts without getting hurt or sick, I'd probably start dropping some weight! :)

Good luck with your challenge! 

Thanks! I figure it's more than half the battle for me since I used to be so focused on building a workout habit and diet was secondary. I started really looking into what worked for most people after doing paleo for a while and my body fat % stalled. The problem is, you really have to experiment with yourself and see what works for you specifically and that definitely takes time! Sounds like you've already worked some of that out though and are at a good calorie count :)

Feeling hungry today. Not sure why... I did eat around 2300 calories yesterday which might've messed with my hunger pangs. Also learned that, unless it's Quest bars, my body doesn't like two protein bars in one day. I bought some pure protein bars at costco and they're pretty delicious. so i had two last night, why not, I said! Welp, won't be doing that again. I'll spare you the grody details.

Got almost everything planned out for today. I've room for an after dinner carby snack which will be nice. I'm cooking some pre-seasoned cod that was on sale for dinner tonight. Does anyone know if there's a best type of pan to cook fish in? Stainless steel? cast iron? regular ol' nonstick?

Feeling hungry today. Not sure why... I did eat around 2300 calories yesterday which might've messed with my hunger pangs. Also learned that, unless it's Quest bars, my body doesn't like two protein bars in one day. I bought some pure protein bars at costco and they're pretty delicious. so i had two last night, why not, I said! Welp, won't be doing that again. I'll spare you the grody details.

Got almost everything planned out for today. I've room for an after dinner carby snack which will be nice. I'm cooking some pre-seasoned cod that was on sale for dinner tonight. Does anyone know if there's a best type of pan to cook fish in? Stainless steel? cast iron? regular ol' nonstick?

I'd probably go nonstick, fish will fall apart pretty easily if you're having to scrape it off the bottom every little bit.  

I'd probably go nonstick, fish will fall apart pretty easily if you're having to scrape it off the bottom every little bit.  

That's what I was thinking but wanted to get others' opinions first! thanks!

Great challenge CM!  Keep on keeping' on!

As you know from my log (I think you're the only one that reads that thing, haha), we're in pretty similar boats, though you are much more strict about macros than I am.  I never did get around to re-calculating my TDEE before Christmas hit, but I'm aiming right around where you're eating, though I've got probably 10 lbs on you right now.

Going to be following avidly!

Great challenge CM!  Keep on keeping' on!

As you know from my log (I think you're the only one that reads that thing, haha), we're in pretty similar boats, though you are much more strict about macros than I am.  I never did get around to re-calculating my TDEE before Christmas hit, but I'm aiming right around where you're eating, though I've got probably 10 lbs on you right now.

Going to be following avidly!

haha! yes, we're on a boat! can this be us?

cows-on-a-boat.jpg?w=774&h=516

but given your knee situations you've got way bigger hurdles to jump through than I do. *all the positive vibes back at ya!*

For reference, between Nov 24 and Jan 5 I ate an average of 1837 calories per day with these percentages C 37%; F 29%; P 35%. That doesn't include the holidays when I tracked but wasn't keeping it strict. Let's see if, for this challenge, I can get that fat % down and protein % up just a bit.

Foods 1/6/2014

Breakfast: coffee with protein powder. multi vits. turkey ham/broccoli/egg casserole. Ginger snap cookie. Raisins.

Lunch: leftover chicken and tomato soup.

Snacks: plain greek yogurt with strawberries. Banana bread larabar. One mini snickers. sprouted grain bread with homemade apple fig butter.

Dinner: Cod fillets with spinach, onions, garlic and a baked sweet potato.

Cals: 1,738

Protein: 171, 38%

Carbs: 168, 36%

Fat: 49, 25%

1/7/14 Workout

5 min elliptical warmup

Goblet Squat: These just didn’t feel good today in the hips or keeping myself upright. I should mobilize tonight. I think shark week is probably approaching.

8x50#

8x50#

Static lunge with rear foot elevated

12x10# in each hand

12x10#

Pushup â€“ first number is lower incline, second number is higher incline.

5+7

5+7

DB Romanian DL

10x45# in each hand

10x45#

DB bent over row

9x25# in each hand

9x25#

I totally skipped pistol squat practice today. Ugh.

Stretching

I am going to need some whole cheap food carb suggestions. I had fruit, yogurt, tomatoes, bread, and sweet potato yesterday. I can see my carb supply dwindling from my kitchen for the rest of the week though. I've got beans, tomatoes, fruit, and rice planned for today. Does anyone have any carb go-to's that don't break the bank?

Oh, btw, it's cold out today.

Wow, ginger snap cookie, as in singular.  That's some willpower there!  Good job!

I'm interested in some more carb ideas too, sweet potatoes, rice, and oatmeal are kind of my go-tos at the moment.  

Agreed. Say what? one cookie? well done haha

Carbs... in addtion to what you've mentioned I do a lot of larabars (but those are higher in fat so beware), parsnips, jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes) and a lot of squash (get the cheapest one).  Oatmeal is a great carb source. I used to do oatmeal protein pancakes post workout and they were 1. delicious 2. filling and 3. awesome.

Carbs... in addtion to what you've mentioned I do a lot of larabars (but those are higher in fat so beware), parsnips, jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes) and a lot of squash (get the cheapest one).  Oatmeal is a great carb source. I used to do oatmeal protein pancakes post workout and they were 1. delicious 2. filling and 3. awesome.

Fry-Shut-Up-and-Take-My-Money-Futurama.g

And give me a recipe!!!

Hmm, parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes are new to me.  I may have to investigate those...

Wow, ginger snap cookie, as in singular.  That's some willpower there!  Good job!

I'm interested in some more carb ideas too, sweet potatoes, rice, and oatmeal are kind of my go-tos at the moment.  

alright, alright. i went back into the work kitchen for more cookies and they were gone! bah!

I always forget about oatmeal! I just bought some of bob's redmill oatmeal and almond flour at a job lot for 20% off the job lot price. which means I got it super extra cheap, folks. also, sounds like protein pancake ingredients if I ever heard them!

Don't worry, laura. I do keep checking the parsnips price each weekend. no luck yet! one day, parsnips. one day.

Fry-Shut-Up-and-Take-My-Money-Futurama.g

And give me a recipe!!!

Hmm, parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes are new to me.  I may have to investigate those...

Yay money!! 

Protein Pancakes:

1/2 banana (more ripe is mo' betta)

1/2 cup old fashioned oats (steel cut doesn't work for this recipe - quick oats are iffy)

1 scoop protein powder of choice

4 egg whites (or whole eggs, I was aiming for lower fat so I used egg whites)

1/4 cup milk of choice (again, for lower fat use something like skim or whatever. you can also use water)

Bit o' vanilla extract

Put oats in a bowl, cover with enough milk or water to just cover the oats.  Mash in banana, mix in protein powder, whip with a fork, cook over medium heat until done (you can tell).

Options:

• Double the recipe (though I usually keep the protein powder to one scoop)
  • Grind half the oats for a more flour like pancake consistency
  • I like to do vanilla protein powder and sprinkle in cinnamon (do it taste. i like A LOT of cinnamon)
  • Or add cocoa powder with chocolate or vanilla protein powder.  Extra yummy. 
  • Add pumpkin puree and cinnamon

What I've written above is ~ 419 calories, 5 g fat, 45 g carbs, 50 g protein

For the parsnips and sunchokes I like them best sliced up, tossed with fat of choice, sprinkled with salt and rosemary (fresh is best but dried works) and roasted for 30 minutes or so at 425.  Amazeballs.

alright, alright. i went back into the work kitchen for more cookies and they were gone! bah!

I always forget about oatmeal! I just bought some of bob's redmill oatmeal and almond flour at a job lot for 20% off the job lot price. which means I got it super extra cheap, folks. also, sounds like protein pancake ingredients if I ever heard them!

Don't worry, laura. I do keep checking the parsnips price each weekend. no luck yet! one day, parsnips. one day.

hahahahhahah my goal: get CM to eat parsnips!  hahaha  But seriously, I'm only eating them so much now b/c they've been so cheap.  Maybe I'll just mail you some.... :tongue:

I forgot! You could also try celery root, turnip, and rutabaga! Rutabaga, I think is fairly high carb and might cheapish now.  

What I've written above is ~ 419 calories, 5 g fat, 45 g carbs, 50 g protein

For the parsnips and sunchokes I like them best sliced up, tossed with fat of choice, sprinkled with salt and rosemary (fresh is best but dried works) and roasted for 30 minutes or so at 425.  Amazeballs.

hahahahhahah my goal: get CM to eat parsnips!  hahaha  But seriously, I'm only eating them so much now b/c they've been so cheap.  Maybe I'll just mail you some.... :tongue:

I forgot! You could also try celery root, turnip, and rutabaga! Rutabaga, I think is fairly high carb and might cheapish now.  

thanks for the recipe! those are some really crazy awesome macros there.

i have had parsnips! once... and they were delicious. but it was at my mother's house so she bought them. I can't remember if I have tried and/or like any of those produce items...

Produce qualifications when CM’s grocery shopping:

·         If I recognize it.

·         If I know I can cook it quickly.

·         If it is around $1/lb.

I know parsnips would be super easy and delicious to cook, and I know what they look like so I’m just waiting for one of my many grocery stores to offer a sale on them.

Tell me more of these root vegetables you speak of. Are they easy to prepare? Remember, I used to think chopping fresh broccoli was arduous...

thanks for the recipe! those are some really crazy awesome macros there.

i have had parsnips! once... and they were delicious. but it was at my mother's house so she bought them. I can't remember if I have tried and/or like any of those produce items...

Produce qualifications when CM’s grocery shopping:

·         If I recognize it.

·         If I know I can cook it quickly.

·         If it is around $1/lb.

I know parsnips would be super easy and delicious to cook, and I know what they look like so I’m just waiting for one of my many grocery stores to offer a sale on them.

Tell me more of these root vegetables you speak of. Are they easy to prepare? Remember, I used to think chopping fresh broccoli was arduous...

No prob.  I developed it when I was in the height of my lean gainsing and needed mass carbs and little to no fat.

Root vegetables are the best! They are so easy to prepare.   My quick go to methods are chopping (so semi arduous haha) and tossing with some oil/melted fat of choice and salt.  Then roast until desired degree of doneness.  I usually roast my veggies on 375 or 400 for 20-40 minutes.  You can start off light on the oil since a little usually goes a long way (for macro sake).

Or you can chop and steam on the stove top in a steamer basket.  Less work and usually done faster but less tasty (requires mix ins at the end). 

That can be followed for all types of squash or root veggies (carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, celery root, etc).   If I'm roasting, most often I don't peel them (especially squash -what a pita). But if steaming you have to (which makes root veggies easier to steam).