Wayne_Kent_Seago Challenge #6: Hitting Reset on Some Things

This is going to be my sixth challenge since discovering NerdFitness.com. Admittedly I did not do realy well in the last challenge, so I am re-setting some things for this challenge.

First, my ultimate health/fitness goal is to reduce my LDL cholesterol to 130 by June 28, 2014. Currently, my LDL is 140 (down from 156 last year).

Second, my side goal is to run this year's Tower of Terro 10-miler in October.

In terms of a leveling up my life goal, I am seeking to strengthen my connections to my network and to move some current connections to deeper business and personal relationship. I read an inspiring article about someone's 52 Cup Project (article here http://www.inc.com/peter-thomson/50-cups-of-coffee.html). I will be embarking on having 50 coffees over 2014 with people in my network.

To achieve these goals, I will:

1. Reset 5K-10K training and follow the program (sprint when I am supposed to etc). 16 workouts total (STA 4)

A = 15 -16 runs

B = 13 - 14 runs

C= 11 - 12 runs

F = > 11 runs

2. Reset 100 push-up challenge this time starting with Beginner 2. 16 workouts total (STR 2)

A = 15 -16 workouts

B = 13 - 14 workouts

C= 11 - 12 workouts

F = > 11 workouts

3. Perform Core Training from StrengthRunning.com 16 workouts total (STR 2)

A = 15 -16 workouts

B = 13 - 14 workouts

C= 11 - 12 workouts

F = > 11 workouts

4. 6 coffees with people in my network (CHA 2, WIS 2)

A= 6

B= 5

C = 4

F = >4

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

I hit post before I added this, but the schedule for this challenge will be 3 days on, a rest day, and then 3 days on:

Monday - Run

Tuesday - Push-ups and Core

Wednesday - Run

Thursday - Off

Friday - Push-Ups and Core

Saturday - Run

Sunday - Push-ups and Core

Monday - Off

Etc.

That will result in 16 runs, 16 push-ups and core workouts and 16 rest days. In the challenges in which I tried to go 6 days in a row before a day off, I either got sick or took extra rest days. This way, I think I give myself a better chance to be successful.

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Looks like some good goals, I especially like the last one.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

That 10-miler sounds like fun :)  When do you get your LDL tested again?  I wasn't sure if it was just that date, or maybe one before then.  I will be going in February to get my bloodwork all checked out.  Curious to see the improvements :)

I will get my blood retested in 3 months.

I am sure you will and your doctor will be pleased with your progress, you have been doing great!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

I like that coffee goal!  It's not part of my 6 week challenge, but Mr.Georges and I are starting up his business this year, so I'm glad you shared the article.  Thanks!

How did your Week One go?

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

I like that coffee goal!  It's not part of my 6 week challenge, but Mr.Georges and I are starting up his business this year, so I'm glad you shared the article.  Thanks!

How did your Week One go?

I am glad you enjoyed the article. Week 1 was awesome. Six workouts! 

How about you?

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

I am glad you enjoyed the article. Week 1 was awesome. Six workouts! 

How about you?

My week one was a bit rough, but I am getting a strong start to week two!

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

Summary:

This was one of my best challenges. I did not get sick and I kept my motivation through (almost) the entire challenge. I seem to get tired in week 6 and slack a little, so I have to find a way to keep the fire going. I was not great in keeping up with my battle log, but I keep a spreadsheet on my computer and update my workouts. I also keep a written log of workouts in a journal on my desk in my office.

So here are my results:

1. Reset 5K-10K training, and this time follow the program in terms of time and intervals (STA 4)

I planned a three day on, one day off pattern at the beginning of the challenge which would give me 16 runs, 16 cross-training days and 10 rest days during the course of the challenge. I had 15 runs which gives give me an A and the full 4 STA points.

2. Reset 100 push-up challenge (STR 2)

I did ok here. With my schedule there should have been 16 workouts, and I completed 13. That is a B and 1 STR point.

3. Core routing from strenghhrunning.com (STR 2)

Not as good here. Only 12 workouts. That is a C and I will not take STR points for that.

4. Have 6 networking "coffees" with my network (CHA 2, WIS 2)

I had 5 of these networking meetings with people in my network. That is a B and 1 point in both CHA and WIS

All in all, this was a good challenge for me. I know now that I enjoy running and consider myself a "runner". As I mentioned, I have a long run in my sights for later this year and I am making steady progress toward that goal.

I will keep running as one my goals in future challenges. I also like the idea of the 100 push-up challenge but I feel that I need other strength training added to non-running days.

I will be taking a few days off in between challenges and I look forward to the coming challenge!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines