2014 - My Year of Badassery

I am a badass! I repeat this to myself every morning that I get out of bed and hit the road for a run or hit the floor for push-ups. I repeat it to myself as I see the changes in my body and feel better and better about myself.

I started last year in a far different place than today. I was over 40 pounds heavier, with higher cholesterol, a big gut, and virtually no stamina at all. Then I found nerdfitness.com and decided to change my life.

Today, I consider myself a runner and in December ran my first 5K. Now I have my sights set on a longer race - Disney's Tower of Terror 10-miler which is in October.

This will be my new BattleLog - where I log my workouts, and the ups and downs that follow this year.

Thanks for checking it out!

• Like 2

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

My progress so far...

Monday 1/6 - up early for the first run of this new challenge. As I mentioned when I posted my goals for this challenge (see link in my signature) I reset my two training programs. I started 5K-10K over again with a concentration of actually doing the prescribed distances as well as any temp runs etc (which I ignored last challenge - I just ran steady no matter what the program called for). I restarted on Christmas Eve morning with week 1, day 1. So, on 1/6 I ran week 2, day 3 (a 35 min. steady run). Ran the distance and felt great! 

Tuesday 1/7 - Re-set 100 push-up challenge to Week 1, Day 1 starting with the Beginner 2 program. It was a little too easy and I could have done more, but reserved some strength. Also began a core workout I found on www.strengthrunning.com (modified bicycle, plank, bridge, side plank, modified bird dog, supine leg lift). While my core is stronger than it was when I had a belly that jiggled like a bowl of jelly (Santa would have been jealous), it is not anywhere near where I want it to be. These exercises were tough and I could only so 1 set, and could not hold the supine leg lift for more than 2 or 3 seconds. 

Wednesday 1/8 - temps hit low 30's today so I moved rest day to today, as it will be warmer tomorrow

Thursday 1/9 - Week 1, day 2 of 100 pushup challenge (3, 4, 2, 3, 4+) Did 3, 4, 2, 3, 12. These early days will be easy but are building to where it will be tough. Also did 1 set of core workout still struggling on keeping plank, side plank and supine leg lift for more than a few seconds at a time. 

Friday 1/10 - I realized that the timing of when I restarted 5K-10K puts the long runs during the week. I would like them on a weekend so I have more time to do them, and can go to a new venue to run as I am getting bored running the same route all the time. I didn't want to skip any runs, so I have to repeat two to get the days and the training runs synced back up. Today I repeated week 2, day 2 (5 min warmup, 10 min jog, 2x of 2 minute sprint and 2 min recovery, 8 min steady run). This time I was able to run hard for both sets of 2 mins (second one may be not been as fast as the first, but definitely a noticeable pick up in pace). 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Saturday 1/11 - Walked 4.4 km at 5.5 km/hr pace. Then inside for Week 1, Day 3 of 100 push-up challenge (4,5, 4, 4, 5+) did 4, 5, 4, 4, 12. Then core workout - 1 set - planks, side plank and supine lift are too tough to do for more than a seconds at this point.

Sunday 1/12 - Week 2, Day 3 of 5K-10K (5 min warmup, 35 minute steady run, 5 min cool down). Ran at my city's main recreation facility (baseball and softball fields, soccer fields etc). Felt great during run and enjoyed new venue for the run.

Monday 1/13 - Rest day - doing 3 days workout and then day of rest

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Tuesday 1/14 - According to the weather reports, it was supposed to be raining when I woke up this morning. I wrestled with staying in bed and changing workout days to do push-ups and core today instead of running as it was supposed to rain at any moment. A quote I say kept running (see what I did there?) through my mind "I never regret running, I regret not running." So I got up, got dressed and went for it. Today is Week 3, day 1 of 5K-10K (5 min warmup, 20 min steady run, 5 min cool down) This is a light run so I try to do it a little faster than my normal pace. Finished the 20 minute run, and realized the weather folks were partially right - it did rain, they were just wrong on the time. I was in the cool down phase of the workout and walking home when it started raining. I ran home (about another 8-9 min run) - so I got bonus running today!. 

Even getting caught in the rain, I don't regret running. I would have regretted not running. 

• Like 1

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Great job! Keep it up!

Thanks!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

You're rolling Wayne! Glad to see you're still putting in work!

Thanks bud. How's it going with you?

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Wednesday 1/15 - today is push-ups and core day. Did week 2, day 1 of 100 push-up challenge (4,6, 4, 4, 7+) did 4, 6, 4, 4, 12. Still in the place where this is kind of easy, but that will change in about a week or so. Also did 2 set of core training from strengthrunning.com (bicycle, bridge, plank, side plank, bird dog, supine leg lift).

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Thursday 1/16 - Week 3, Day 2 of 5K-10K (5 min warmup, 10 min jog, 5 min tempo run, 10 min jog, 5 min cool down). Was able to pick up the pace during the tempo run and keep it going for almost the entire 5 minutes (slowed near the end) and then returned to a jog. Felt great at end of run. 

Friday 1/17 - Rest day. Keeping to 3 days of workouts, then day of rest. 

Saturday 1/18 - Week 3, Day 3 of 5K-10K (5 min warm up, 40 min steady run, 5 min cool down) I went to a cool recreation complex in my town with a dozen baseball fields, soccer fields, etc so it was a nice run. Really cold (low 40's) so the wind stung my eyes, but I ran pretty well. I am not fast, but I am better able to stop thinking about how far or how long I have to run, and just keep picking my feet up and putting them down. Feels good to finish a longer run like this and then head home for breakfast! Also mowed my lawn, trimmed hedges, and used weed whacker for extra bit of work.

Sunday 1/19 - Scheduled push-up/core day, but woke up late and did not do it. Re-working week 3 schedule to make sure I fit it in. 

Monday 1/20 - had to do double workouts today, and will give up an off day this week to make sure I get in all workouts. Today is week 4, day 1 of 5K-10K (5 min warmup, 20 min steady run, 5 min cool down) I ran a different route today, just to keep it interesting. Felt good after run. Then did week 2, day 2 of 100 push-up challenge (5, 7, 5, 5, 8+) did 5, 7, 5, 5, 12. Then core routine from strengthrunning.com 

Workouts are going better than in recent challenges. I feel great during runs and enjoying the satisfaction of finishing. In terms of eating, I have a real sweet tooth lately which is unlike me. I typically crave greasy, salty snacks but I can't stop thinking about chocolate. Not sure why that is. I have a few nibbles here and there, but trying not to go overboard. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Tuesday 1/21 - Added in push-up and core day to make up for skipping the other day. Week 2, day 3 of 100 push-up challenge (6, 8, 6, 6, 9+). Did 6, 8, 6, 6, 6, 10. One set of core routine, still struggling with side plank and supine back lift. 

Wednesday 1/22 - Push-up and core routine. Week 3, day 1 of 100 push-up challenge (6,8, 6, 6, 9+). Did 6, 8, 6, 6, 12. 

Thursday 1/23 - Early day at work so no workout

Friday 1/24 - A little cold this morning, but strapped 'em on and ran anyway. Week 4, day 2 of 5K-10K (5 min wamup, 10 min jog, 3x of 2 min fast run and 2 min jog to recover, 8 min run). Definitely picked up the pace during the fast runs ("fast" however is in the eye of the beholder). Felt great during the run and when it was finished I feel like I can do more. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Saturday 1/25 - Walked 5.3 km @5.9 km pace. Then week 3, day 2 of 100 push-up challenge 7,10, 8,8,11+ did 7,10. 8, 8, 12 and 1 set of core routine

Sunday 1/26 - Went to concert last night, got home late and ate badly. Did not workout today.

Monday 1/26 - Got up to run, but it was raining. Instead of running, I did week 3, day 2 of 100 push-up challenge 8,12,9,9,13 did 8,12,9,9,13 and 1 set of core routine

Tuesday 1/27 - Skipping Sunday put me off schedule for having long runs on weekends. Skipped ahead to week 6, day 1 (5 min warm-up, 25 minute run, 5 min cool down) Ran 30 minutes at just under 7 min/km pace and it felt great. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

I was not very bad-ass at the end of the last challenge. I was like the old saying about the month of March - in like a lion, out like a lamb. Part of the reason I faded was I got out of the habit of posting to daily battle log. It really does help keep motivated. Part of my challenge this time is to log on here and post to my thread at least 5 days a week.

Day 1 of Challenge 8.0 was awesome. I was out of bed at 5:55 and out the door at 6:10 for the first run in over a week. One my challenges is to run 100 Km this challenge - which works out to a little over 5.5 Km for three runs a week. I felt great through the first 4 Km's this morning and kept a good (for me) pace of about 7:05 per Km. I slowed down in the last Km though. Overall I felt good and refreshed after the cool down walk.

Another part of my challenge is to complete 1,000 push-ups over the course of the challenge. That works out to 25 per day. I knocked mine out in two sets - 12 and 13 and was ready to start my day!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/15 - Woke up a little late today (6:30) and I have an early morning at work, but I worked in my 25 push-ups for the day! 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/16 - Strength training today - included my 25 push-ups for the day. On the way to 1,000!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/17 - didn't run today, but did my 25 push-ups

4/18 - Up at 6:30 and out the door at 6:43 for a run. 5 min warmup walk, ran for 48:00 minutes and a 5 min cool down. Total of 6.1 kms run. Then 25 push-ups. Good day of exercise!

• Like 1

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/19 - I have been struggling with trying to break my sugar addiction. I stayed fully sugar-free two days so far this week, and that was HARD to do. Otherwise my eating is pretty good. My wife and I have been doing much better in eliminating processed foods. I still log all my foods into an app that tracks calories called Lose It! I am worried that if I stop logging the foods, I will stop focusing on what I eat and get carried away and overeat. 

40 push-ups today. 25 regular, and 15 with my almost three-year-old on my back. He weighs about 30 pounds, so it was an extra challenge. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/20 - Today I broke a mental and physical "barrier" that I thought I might never achieve - I ran for an entire hour! The workout was week 7, Day 3 of 5K-10K training, which is a 5 minute warmup walk, 55 minute run, and a 5 minute cool down walk. The first 2 Km's were a struggle, I couldn't settle my mind and my breathing down. Somewhere around the 3rd Km, I settled down and was fine. I ran from my house toward my office, which is about 3.5 miles from my house. It was really overcast out this morning and it felt like it might rain. I was going to run to my office and back, but looking at the weather channel and the sky, I decided to do the 55 minute run, heading toward my office and then turn around when the app says halfway there. The run on the way back felt much easier than the run out. I was at a good pace and my mind was clear - that is what makes people like running (and me too now) - total distance 8.32 Km, total running time 1:00:32 (1 hour, 0 minutes, 32 seconds!!). These are the days when I feel like I can achieve my goal of finishing the Tower of Terror 10-miler! After the run, I did my 25 pushups for the day!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/21 - Dreary Monday morning - woke up a little late, legs kind of tender after yesterday's long run. Increased push-ups to 30 today and will do 30 every day this week.

Did a poor job of avoiding sugar this weekend - donut at church on Saturday and then Easter candy yesterday. *SMH*

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

I fell victim to the sugar monster to this weekend! Damn you Easter Candy!

BTW, I can't wait until I can settle my mind down when I'm running. I've been working so hard lately just trying to focus on breathing properly.

Good job!

Bruce Wayne: I'm not afraid. I'm angry.

Big Remy

Level 2 Adventurer

STR/ DEX/ STA/ CON/ WIS/ CHA

5.5 / 2.0/ 2.25/ 8.0/ 2.0/ 1.0

First Challenge-

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/37558-ready-to-rock/

I fell victim to the sugar monster to this weekend! Damn you Easter Candy!

BTW, I can't wait until I can settle my mind down when I'm running. I've been working so hard lately just trying to focus on breathing properly.

Good job!

Thanks. There comes a point when I kind of zone out and dont really notice my legs moving. I think its the runners high they talk about. Music and Zombies Run help to get to focus on something else other than the pounding of my feet hitting the ground

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/22 - No running again today. Got my 30 push-ups in late in the day after I got home from work and before going outside to play with my son. I have noticed that I am slowly returning to some of my bad habits before I discovered Nerd Fitness and changed my life. On days I don't run, I am sleeping until the last minute that I have to get in the shower and get dressed for work. I am flying out the door at the last minute with my breakfast in hand and still being 2 or 3 minutes late to work. Not what I want. 

4/23 - Up and out the door at 6:15 for a run. Ran 5.53 Km's then 30 push-ups when I got back. As I mentioned above, I am returning to a bad habit of sleeping in until the last minute I need to get ready. That will stop immediately. I think since I got away from walking on days when I gont run, I feel like it only takes a few minutes to knock out the push-ups I need to do so I dont feel the need to get out of bed. Tomorrow morning I will walk for 20 - 30 minutes so I can get out of bed and then I will do some push-ups and add some other strength building and core elements. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/24 - Woke up at 6, out the door at 6:15 for a 5Km walk. I mentioned yesterday that I am falling back into a bad habit, and proclaimed that would stop - and today is day #1 of living up to that proclamation. Got back home and did my 30 push-ups and added 25 lying leg raises and 25 scissors for my core. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/25 - up at 6:15 again and out the door at 6:25 - i need to get a slightly earlier start - ran 5.3 km's at 7:05 m/km pace. Then inside garage "gym" for my daily 30 push-ups. Feels good to get back into getting out of bed earlier. I feel as if I am getting more accomplished in my mornings. 

Still struggling with sugar - I am able to resist big temptations, but little ones are killing me. I tiny piece of chocolate here and there - not eating an entire bar or anything, but I am being strict in my "grading" of myself in terms of the challenge. If I have a single M&M, then I get no points for the day. That could be way I have only been 100% sugar free for two days so far out of two weeks in the challenge.

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

4/26 - no walking or running this morning, just my 30 push-ups. Kind of a day off

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges: