2014 - My Year of Badassery

6/14 - Third day of Galloway training. Saturdays (or Sundays) are designated long runs. It starts small and adds another mile every week (there are a few weeks in which the distance goes back down as a bit of a break). Today's "long run" was 2 miles. It was a bit of a tough slosh though, my legs felt like lead and I was struggling with getting good breath. The way back felt better though. I think I need to stretch better before running. I think the squats are also fatiguing my legs - not sure what to do about that, they are a great bodyweight exercise. Two sets of 15 push-ups to help achieve that goal. 

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

6/22 - Back from vacation week. My entire side of the family (mom, stepdad, step-brother, his wife and their 3 kids, two other step-brothers, step-sister, my wife and son) all in a huge beach house that slept 16. The good news is that I kept my workout schedule (2 runs, 2 strength workouts) while there. There was also a lot of swimming both in the pool and ocean. The bad news is that since only one of my other family members are actively pursuing fitness there was a lot of temptation in terms of chips, beer, cake, cupcakes etc. We celebrated 4 birthdays so there was a lot ok cake. The real bad news is that more often than not, I gave in and ate a lot of that junk - not only negating the work I did, but I came home 5 pounds heavier than when I left. UGH! 

I ran this morning to make my third run of the week and it was a real struggle. This is worst I have felt while running since I was in the middle of couch to 5K. For the first time in many months, I had to walk for a little bit in the last third of a 3-mile run. I think it is a combination of all that junk flowing through me, as well as the mental aspect of coming home and readjusting to normal post-vacation life. The added weight doesnt help either. Whatever the issue, I will push through it and get back on track. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

6/24 - Today's run was awesome! The struggle from Sunday was gone. I did a tempo run - jogged for 10 minutes, sped up for 5, jogged for 10, sped up for 5. Total of 30 minutes and none of the issues from Sunday. I was more plugged in mentally today so maybe that was part of it. Great day!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

7/2 - I have been slack in posting here, and missed 2 runs last week, but off to a great start this week. 

I achieved one of my goals for this challenge, and begin a new job soon! Aug. 4th I begin as Exec. Director of a statewide political group here in Florida. Very excited about the new challenge. 

I think I mentioned that the Disney Tower of Terror 10-miler (my major goal this year) was sold out when I went online to register. I was soooooo bummed. I found a Facebook group called #runDisney and posted that if anyone registered but realized they had a conflict or injury that I would buy their race bib. Well I got some snarky messages about how that is "illegal" and violates Disney "law", I received a message from someone who registered and then found out that is the weekend of her best friend's wedding. Disney does not give refunds so she was stuck until she read my plea. So I am in the race!!!!!!!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

7/6 - This week was in some ways tough and in other ways great. The tough part was telling the key members of the Board of Directors of my Chamber that I am leaving for a new opportunity at the end of the month. They were excited for me and they told me what I great job they think I did for the Chamber over the past 6 years, and how they would like me to remain active as a volunteer if I would like. I think that is high praise so that made me feel good. 

The great part have been runs this week have all felt really good. Today was a long run of 4 miles. I missed last week's long run and two weeks ago really struggled through that run. Today I felt strong both physically and mentally. At the very end (less than 1/2 a mile to go) I was checking the distance a lot so I was slowing down to see it on my phone.

I am making steady progress toward my push-up goal and should hit my target number by the end of the challenge. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Challenge Recap:

This was one of my best challenges since I began here at NF!!!

My goals were:

1. Stamina - Train using the Galloway training schedule for the Disney Tower of Terror 10-milers. It is 3 weekly runs with two runs at 30 mins each and then a long run day beginning at 2 miles and moving up a mile a week. (Total of 18 runs)

A= 17 - 18 runs, B= 15 - 16 runs, C= 13 - 14 run, anything less than 13 is an F

2. Strength - Complete no less than 2 sets of body weight workout 2x per week. Each workout will include squats, push-up, lunges (or step ups), plank, leg raises and other exercises thrown in for good measure (total of 12 workouts)

A= 11-12, B= 9-10, C=7 - 8, anything less than 7 is an F

3. Push-ups - Push-ups are the perfect multi-muscle exercise and a good indication of strength. Over the course of the challenge I will do 1,100 push-ups.

A= 1050 - 1100, B = 1000 - 1049, C = 950 - 999, less than 950 is an F

4. New Beginning - While I am not unhappy in my current position, there is limited growth potential here and I am on the look for a new career challenge. During this challenge, I will either begin a new position or find and retain an executive recruiter to help me find my next career opportunity.

A = Do it, F= Don't do it

My results:

1. Stamina - I completed 15 total training runs (four perfect weeks, one bad week in which I missed 2 runs, and missed one last week). That gives me a B

2. Strength - I completed 11 of the 12 strength workouts (I noticed an issue here that I will address in future challenges). That gives me an A

3. Push-ups - I actually completed 1,200 push-ups for the challenge, going over my goal of 1,100 so that gives me an A+

4. New beginnings - I have accepted a new position starting Aug 1. Technically, I wrote that I would start a new position in the course of the challenge, but I definitely hit the spirit of the goal so I will count it and take the A

3 A's and a B would be an great report card and likely put me on the Honor Roll. I feel great about what I did, but I still see some room for improvements. First, as I am primarily training for running events, I have not really worked my legs during strength training days. I need to continue doing squats as part of strength training and then stretch both after those workouts and stretch more (and better) prior to runs. Second, I noticed that my strength trainings are not intense, in fact all of my workouts are longer and slower (I try to do intervals on one of my 30 minute run days). I will add some intensity to my strength workouts. Third, my diet is not where it should be for training for my upcoming 10-mile run. I justify eating junk by saying "I ran today so it is ok". A lot of that junk is sugar and I think it caught up to me this weekend. I had a terrible run yesterday, with my limbs feeling heavy and not a lot of energy. I will address these three issues in the upcoming challenge.

I will take a level up, but I stopped updating my role-playing stats. That is something else I will start back up in the next challenge.

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Here are my goals for this challenge (they look a lot like the goals for the last challenge)

Here are my goals for this challenge:

1. Stamina - Train using the Galloway training schedule for the Disney Tower of Terror 10-milers. It is 3 weekly runs with two runs at 30 mins each and then a long run day beginning at 2 miles and moving up a mile a week. (Total of 18 runs)

A= 17 - 18 runs, B= 15 - 16 runs, C= 13 - 14 run, anything less than 13 is an F

2. Strength - Complete a cross-training workout 2x per week. One of the things I noticed and mentioned in my follow up to the last challenge, is that my cross training workouts were not very dynamic. I limped through the BBW with no gusto. This time, I will vary up the cross-training to include kickboxing, T25 and other higher intensity workouts.

A= 11-12, B= 9-10, C=7 - 8, anything less than 7 is an F

3. Push-ups - Push-ups are the perfect multi-muscle exercise and a good indication of strength. Over the course of the challenge I will do 1,250 push-ups.

A= 1200-1250, B = 1150-1199, C = 1100-1149, less than 1100 is an F

4. Read 20 pages of a book that will help me level up in some area of my life - I know that the most successful people read a lot. I love to read, but sometimes I get so focused on other things I forget to take the time to do something that benefits me as much as reading a book that can help my develop personally and professionally. This challenge I will read at least 20 pages of a book that focuses on personal and/or professional development at least 6 days a week. That is 36 reading opportunities over the next 6 weeks.

A= 33-36, B=30-33, C= 26-29, anything less that 26 is an F

I will be also tracking number of posts to my battle log, as that accountability keeps me motivated and on target, but it will not be counted toward the challenge. I continue to track all of my calories, but that is more for my own education on what I am eating and how much fat and stuff is in my food. I will also continue working toward increasing my ability to do pull-ups. I can do 2 neutral-grip pull-ups and do those when I take my son to the playground in our development, but not sure how that relates to standard pull-ups or chin-ups. If I am going to be successful in a mud run, I have to increase upper body strength.

7/28 - Off to a great start with 6 rounds of kickboxing (using a heavy bag) - warm-up (both hands fast punches non-stop), both legs round-house kicks, jabs, right cross, right leg, left leg. Push-ups during the 1 minute "rest period", ab work at the end

7/29 - Run day - 30 minutes run (5 min warm-up and cool down) - 5.6K total

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

7/30 - rest day

7/31 - 20 pushups then 30 minute run with intervals (10 min jog, 2 min sprint, 2 min recover) Felt great and was able to keep good pace in sprints. 20 pushups after run

8/1 - 25 pushups and then T25 total body circuit. Felt a little like a tool doing that workout (especially as there parts I could not keep up with). there are push-ups as part of that workout, so total for the day is 50

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

8/2 & 8/3 - sidelined with allergies that knocked me on my butt. :(

8/4 - Monday- 20 pushup warmup, 7 rounds of kickboxing with the heavy bag (both hands, jabs, right cross, right leg, left leg, right leg, left leg) - 10 pushups in between rounds. 90 total pushups

8/5 - Made up for missing Sunday's long run by doing it this morning - 6 f'ing miles!!! Hell yeah! I kept a good pace and I know I could have gone further (not sure how much further, but could have kept going)

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

8/6 Wednesday - rest day thank goodness as my legs are a little tender from yesterday's run. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

8/7 - Thursday - rest day 

8/8 - Friday - 30 minute training run. With addition of 5 minute warm-up walk, I covered 5.1 KM. Felt great at end of run, today is another day I feel like I could have run much further

8/9 - Saturday - today I really put my increased fitness level to the test. Today, my wife and I participated in our church's function called Mission:Serve. Hundreds showed up to volunteer across our community. A big group of us went to an elementary school that really needs help and we beautified the school. We picked a ton of weeds, trimmed trees and shrubs, planted flowers, painted etc. I pulled weeds for almost 3 hours. Then I went home and had to do my own yard. I spent over 3 hours mowing, edging, trimming, pulling weeds etc for myself. A total of over 6 hours of work in 90 degree heat. I can honestly say that if not for NerdFitness helping me to get started on the path to exercise and a healthier lifestyle, I never could have done it. 

8/10 - Sunday - 3 mile total run with first minute timed (11:20). Woke up a little late and didn't get out the door until 8 am. I live in Florida and it is already in the 80's at 8 am and the sun was beating down. I finished the 3 miles, but it took all I had to do it. Today was not a day that I felt I could have run any further. When my pedometer said 3 miles, I stopped running. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

8/11 - Monday - Rest day, but snuck in 40 push-ups so I wouldn't get behind in my totals

8/12 - Tuesday - 30 minute training run. Felt good during run and had energy left in the tank at the end of the run. Could have run further. I tried to stay at a slow pace, but I think I was going faster than I did when I did my long run. 40 push-ups total (25 before run, 15 after)

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

8/26 - I have way behind in my postings, but I have continued my workouts with good consistency (good, not great, I have missed a few) - I am very consistent in running. I think I have only missed 2 runs in 5 weeks - my training for the ToT run is on pace. I ran 7 miles two weekends ago (started at 6 am before it gets hot and humid here) and was psyched. This past weekend was a time trial for a mile and then 2 more for a total of 3, and as I woke up late and had to run in Florida heat, it was all I could do to finish 3. 

I have been less good at strength training. I am not sure if running is leaving me too wiped out the next day or what the reason is but I am not giving that the intensity that I should for the results I want. The other place I continue to struggle is diet. I am snacking on popcorn and cashews, but the saltiness (or maybe just the calories) are adding up. 

I will endeavor to be better about posting as it keeps me plugged into this community which has helped me so much in this quest for fitness. 

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Using this space to get back up to speed in terms of my fitness journey. I completed my goal this year of running in the Tower of Terror 10-miler. I ran it in a total time of 2:34:05. My actual running time was a little less than that as I started 5 corrals from the start. I ran the first 8 miles fine. Halfway through mile 8 I stopped to drink instead of drinking on the run and that was a bad idea. I ran more than I walked for the rest of that mile, but ran about half as much as I walked for the final mile. All in all, I felt good at the end (but very very tired) and proud of my accomplishment. I took some time off after the run, and that extended layoff has de-railed some of my progress. Part of my issue is that I no longer have a goal to work for. So I am looking at a half-marathon in 2015. My wife and I had a new baby last week and i have allowed that (and Thanksgiving) to be reasons to overeat. I am back over 200 lbs (which is way down from where I started when I joined NF, but over where I once was). 

Instead of wallowing in pity about my recent weight gain, I constructed a 30-day challenge for myself. I missed the most recent 6-week challenge here but will rejoin in the new year. I have melded a running challenge and a push-up challenge into a December challenge that should get me back to where I was physically at my new "height" of a few months ago. 

Today was Day 1 and I got out of bed at 5:30 (after waking up a few times with the baby) and ran 1 mile and did 3 sets of 3 push-ups. They were easy for me, but I wasn't sure it would be as I have not run in 2 weeks. I am purposefully allowing myself to start slowly so I can rebuild the muscles that have not completely gone away, but I also don't want to do too much too fast and burn-out. I also believe that finishing the challenge will be good for me!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

Day 2 - 12/2 - woke up and got out for my run and ran further than was prescribed but it felt great so I did a little extra. Had plenty left in the tank but as I mentioned I am allowing a slow build-up back to where I was not too long ago. Did 3 sets of 4 pushups, again easy but it won't always be. 

Day 3 - 12/3 - scheduled rest day for running but 3 sets of 5 push-ups, no problem. Feeling good about this mini-challenge!

Fire Flower Power-up

My current challenge

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges: